Accedi per seguire   
Socrates

Gianluigi Buffon

130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon new Minister for Sport?

http://www.football-italia.net/111157/buffon-new-minister-sport

Oct 11, 2017

Juventus and Italy captain Gigi Buffon has been offered a new job for his post-retirement career – Minister for Sport in the Italian Government.

The goalkeeper is expected to retire at the end of the season, by which point he will be 40 years old.

He has suggested he’s not interested by the role of Coach, while he’s likely to be proposed a position in the Juventus Board of Directors.

However, there’s another interesting option on the horizon.

“If we win the election, Buffon will be the new Minister for Sport,” Vittorio Sgarbi told Vanity Fair in an interview about his new Rinascimento political party.

“Buffon is balanced, represents the Nazionale and is about to retire. He is interested in art and politics. He showed interest for the proposals put forward by Rinascimento and wrote to me about it.

“We went to see an art exhibit in Trieste and he confirmed his support.”

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon wins Best Goalkeeper

212812920-3b22f2ac-b3ce-4329-9c28-a6385e

http://www.football-italia.net/111756/buffon-wins-best-goalkeeper

Oct 23, 2017

Gianluigi Buffon appears to confirm he’ll retire after this season - “I would like to finish with a fantastic victory”.

The Juventus and Italy captain was awarded the best goalkeeper prize at tonight’s The Best FIFA Awards, and during his acceptance speech he appeared to confirm that this will be his final season.

“I think I have to speak in English…” Buffon began, before being informed the event had a translator.

“I want to try to speak [in English]. For me I am very happy because it’s a great honour to receive this award at my age.

“I’m proud of it, but I want to say thanks to my club, my Coach, my teammates because they help me to make it possible.

“I want to say thanks to all the people who voted for me, and I think the last year has been a fantastic season for Juventus and personally.

“But it wasn’t enough to win in Europe, and for this year I hope that we can play better and with the national team and Juventus, because I would like to finish in soccer with a fantastic victory if it’s possible.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon dominates FIFA voting

http://www.football-italia.net/111765/buffon-dominates-fifa-voting

Oct 23, 2017

Gianluigi Buffon received as many votes for FIFA’s goalkeeper of the year as Manuel Neuer and Keylor Navas combined.

The award was decided upon by a panel of goalkeeping legends, with the Italy and Juventus captain picking up the prize in London tonight.

The voting breakdown reveals that Buffon received 42.42 per cent of the vote, the same score as second-placed Manuel Neuer and third-placed Keylor Navas combined.

The Bayern Munich and Real Madrid ‘keepers got 32.32 per cent and 10.2 per cent respectively.

Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois just missed out on the top 10 with 9.09 per cent, while Roma’s Alisson got 0.01 per cent to finish eighth.

Milan’s Gianluigi Donnarumma was also nominated, but the 18-year-old didn’t get a single vote.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: ‘I’ll step aside for Szczesny’

http://www.football-italia.net/111786/buffon-‘i’ll-step-aside-szczesny’

Oct 24, 2017

Gianluigi Buffon reiterates he’ll retire at the end of the season, with the possible exception being if Juventus win the Champions League.

The legendary goalkeeper plans to retire after the 2018 World Cup, but could play on as a backup for an extra year to try and add the Club World Cup to his trophy cabinet, should the Bianconeri triumph in Europe.

“There’s no margin [to change my mind] because I’m quite convinced of the choices I’ve made,” Buffon told Sky.

“More than anything else I’m a very calm person in the sense that I don’t worry about the future and what my life could be, I just have to face it, and I’ll face it with enthusiasm, as well as the desire and curiosity to test myself.

“As a result I wouldn’t change anything just to have one or two more years. I don’t think I can add or take away from what I’ve already done.

“The only way I could do it would be winning the Champions League, then I could say ‘ok, we’ll I’ll try to win the Club World Cup’. Maybe Szczesny could play one game, and me the other, I don’t know.

“But I think with a goalkeeper like him behind me, it’s normal that I’ll step aside next year.”

Buffon was also asked about the anti-Semitic slurs left by Lazio fans in the Roma end of the Stadio Olimpico.

“The recipe is to do what is being done right now in the media, even now in stigmatising, then put in place initiatives to increase the sensibilities, as well as in the case of the Italian people.

“I think beyond that it’s a question of a cultural and consciousness problem.

“It’s undeniable that when you can touch it with your hands, touch the truth of history and what happened to humanity, you can’t remain indifferent to certain tragedies and certain scars.

“I think these utterances and xenophobic manifestations are the result of little knowledge of what history has taught us.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: ‘Best ever? Don’t ask me…’

http://www.football-italia.net/111831/buffon-‘best-ever-don’t-ask-me…’

Oct 25, 2017

Juventus and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon doesn’t know if he’s the best ever - “everyone can choose the best”.

The Azzurri captain has played over 1000 professional games in his career, and has been one of the top ‘keepers in the world ever since making his debut for Parma at the age of 17.

“Am I the best goalkeeper ever?” Buffon considered, speaking to FIFA’s official website.

“I like the idea, but I am not someone who can support that and celebrate myself. Everyone can choose the best - for someone I might be, for someone else I might not.

“In my case the career and numbers of course tell a lot, but at this level facts are facts and words count for nothing.

“I never look back at my past. I know what I’ve done, and have great respect for it. It’s always in my heart, but I’m always living in the present and possibly the future.

“I prefer to be focused on the present. If I think about the past too much it makes me a little sad, because I can count how many years have passed, and remember some emotions that can’t be lived again.

“Too many things have changed: age, team-mates… I don’t want to live in all these memories that, now and forever, are part of myself, but right now I’m living in the present and thinking only about the future.

“When you are closer to the end of your career, of course you think about all of your achievements and records, and you realise the kind of player you are.

“I’m proud of my 20-year career with the national team and hope to continue for a 21st year too.

“I think that it’s also extraordinary to play in one of the most important national teams for 21 years; maintaining a high standard of performance and staying strong mentally and physically for a long time. It’s not so common.”

Buffon won FIFA’s inaugural best goalkeeper award, and is glad that such an award has now been introduced.

“Our position is fundamental on the pitch. We can be decisive in a win or in a defeat.

“All in all we are as important as a striker that scores goals. We feel the responsibility to fill an important position on the pitch and all our play can be very positive or very negative during a game.

“Everyone who watches the game can easily notice it, so a goalkeeper's performance can heavily influence results.

“Since I was a child, I always have liked difficult tasks. Every time I've had to make a choice, I’ve followed my nature.

“I’m the kind of person who always wants to face hard challenges, almost impossible ones. Playing as a goalkeeper is a consequence of my character and nature.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: 'My definitive Italy moments'

http://www.football-italia.net/112026/buffon-my-definitive-italy-moments

Oct 29, 2017

Gigi Buffon described the six moments that defined his Italy career, on the 20th anniversary of his Azzurri debut. “A thousand games is unthinkable.”

To celebrate the momentous date, SuperGigi was shown six clips chosen in an online vote by fans.

He first pulled on the gloves for his country in a World Cup play-off in Russia on October 29, 1997 in Moscow, replacing injured Gianluca Pagliuca after 32 minutes of a 1-1 draw.

“The first moment could only be my debut with the Nazionale in Russia, in a climactically shocking night, as the snow was incredible, the pitch muddy, so the worst possible circumstances for me to make my debut.

“It was also, of course, the play-off to reach the 1998 World Cup in France. I came on and after five or six minutes I had to make a very important save for the result and it was a very difficult one. I did well to ensure I was ready and it wasn’t easy, coming cold off the bench and in that freezing weather, but this proves that mentality can be much more important than physical condition.”

The second moment chosen by fans was Italy-Paraguay.

“This was I think my second game for the Nazionale. I came on for the second half at Parma, in my stadium, and I made perhaps one of the best saves of my career, but also one of the best for any goalkeeper.

“These are the situations and moves where the goal seems written in stone and inevitable. Instead, something happens and you ask yourself, how did that ball not go in? It was a great reaction and an important save.”

The third clip chosen by the fans saw Buffon fingertip a Zinedine Zidane header over the bar in the 2006 World Cup Final.

“That was inevitable, the one on Zidane. It was a bit of a photographic save, it looked good on camera, even if that’s usually not my style. The speed and power of the header meant there was no other way to save it. I did well more than anything else to do it in a World Cup Final, as if we had conceded that one, we might not have been able to come back into the game.

“Against the Czech Republic, if I remember rightly, I equalled Fabio Cannavaro’s record of 136 caps for Italy. It was certainly a wonderful memory, because to be in the elite of football and write such important pages in the history of the Azzurri is the dream of every player and of every child.”

The fifth moment was an amusing one, the still image of when Buffon tried to swing from the crossbar in celebration at Euro 2016 and fell on his backside.

“I remember this with pleasure, even if it was embarrassing! The celebration after the victory over Belgium in the Euros, where I flung myself at the bar, not considering that it had rained and it was slippery. Once I got up there, the gloves couldn’t hold my 90-92kg, so I fell in a brutal and really clumsy way, with a terrible landing on my butt!

“The adrenaline and joy for the win was so much that I reacted quickly to get back up and reassure everyone I was fine to continue celebrating!

“The next moment was my 1,000th game as a professional, which I celebrated in Italy-Albania. That is something I am proud of as I am experiencing it now. When I do retire, I’ll probably look back and feel very emotional about it.

“When you are a kid starting out, the idea of playing 1,000 games is unthinkable. If you set that as an objective, you’d need to go to therapy for six years to figure out what was wrong with you.

“Instead, living a healthy life, keeping your motivation up and loving what you do, the teammates you work with, it all feels easier and you can reach incredible targets.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: Faith in Ventura, 2004…

http://www.football-italia.net/112502/buffon-faith-ventura-2004…

Nov 8, 2017

Gianluigi Buffon assures the Italy squad “have total confidence” in Giampiero Ventura but admits Euro 2004 with Sweden was “a huge disappointment”.

Ventura is under pressure to deliver when Italy take on Sweden in the World Cup playoffs, but the Azzurri were famously eliminated from Euro 2004 by the Scandinavians, who scored a late equaliser in their 2-2 draw with Denmark.

“Return to 3-5-2? I don’t think Ventura has decided what kind of game we’ll play yet, mainly because we’ve only been together for a day,” the goalkeeper told Rai Sport.

“He also wants to monitor the conditions of each player first. After that, he can choose the best formation for us to express ourselves in.

“I think someone with the experience of our CT knows how to approach these types of games, so we trust him and have total confidence in him.

“Confrontation by the players after the draw with FYR Macedonia? It was something freak, but I see it extremely normal that professionals, when they fail to express themselves and pick up certain results, if they care about the work they’re doing, if they care about the fate of their own team, in this case a nation, carry out any kind of confrontation so that they can overcome any kind of difficulty or obstacle.

“It’s very common practice and been used for as long as I’ve been in the national team and at Juve.

“The ‘biscotto’ of 2004? Life goes on, although the exit from that Euros with five points was a huge disappointment.

“It’s also true if we’d done better, there wouldn’t have been such a problem. If you consider yourselves as a top team or player, you know that fate passes through your hands and you don’t have to rely on others.

“The atmosphere in this group has always been good. It’s joyous and there’s a desire to achieve things and stick together, with the consciousness and awareness that these are two very important games for the whole of Italy and our football, and we want to give real happiness to our people, as well those who are near us and follow us with passion.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: 'Italy must reach World Cup'

http://www.football-italia.net/112580/buffon-italy-must-reach-world-cup

Nov 9, 2017

Gigi Buffon does “not even want to think about the alternative” of Italy reaching the 2018 World Cup and respects Sweden in the play-off.

The first leg of the play-off is in Stockholm tomorrow at 19.45 GMT, with the decider in Milan’s San Siro on Monday evening.

The shot-stopper turns 40 in January and has said he’ll hang up his gloves at the end of the season, hopefully after taking part in a record sixth World Cup.

“I think players like myself live for the most important achievements and the realisation of those targets, which are also childhood dreams. So as long as they continue to give me that enthusiasm and motivation to continue, I will do it,” said the goalkeeper in his Press conference.

“Without doubt, tomorrow is a match that if it goes well will give me great joy, and I don’t even want to think about the alternative.”

Buffon is the only player remaining from Italy’s last World Cup play-off, a success against Russia in 1997.

“A play-off is unusual because it’s been a long time since we’ve been in one and it’s only natural that facing Sweden in these two games makes everything more exciting in a way, as it could allow either us or them to earn our ticket for a massive tournament that we all care about.

“Italy are regulars at the World Cup, so we must do our best to ensure we maintain that attendance record.

“The most important game I played against Sweden was certainly at Euro 2004. It’s not a great memory, even if we drew that day, as at the end we knew that there were limited chances of qualification.

“I’ve faced Sweden many times, the one time I played in Sweden was before the 1998 World Cup where we lost, and then in several friendlies in Italy.

“Sweden are to be respected, their teams are solid, have quality and always play their game. That means, to beat them you must put in an excellent performance.”

Every time Italy face Sweden, the Italian fans and media go back to the infamous ‘biscotto’ of Euro 2004, when Sweden and Denmark drew 2-2 to eliminate the Nazionale.

“The 2-2 at Euro 2004 is no longer a problem for us, as so many years have passed. Life goes on and as I told an Italian journalist a few days ago, if we went out of those Euros, it was because we could and should have done better earlier.

“So when there are teams who have destiny in their hands and others who must rely on others, then something has gone wrong.”

Serie A is using Video Assistant Technology this season, and will be used in the 2018 World Cup, but VAR and goal-line technology are not employed in these World Cup play-offs.

“This introduction process of VAR is unusual, as it is being used well in Italy now, I feel, and in international matches of this level we cannot rely on the technology that could well be decisive, because there is so much at stake. That I find rather strange.”

It has been said that the absence of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who retired from international duty before his knee injury, has put made Sweden more of a unit.

“I think certain players in this squad might benefit from feeling a little pressure. We need a little more and perhaps Sweden feel a little less pressure,” continued Buffon.

“Sweden are a team who seem to have more responsibility over the 11 players. A player like Ibrahimovic is a focal point, so you knew everything went through him. Now many players feel free to try something different, so they are equally fearsome.

“Clearly when talking about Ibrahimovic, this is one of the few players in the world who could win a game with a single moment and touching the ball only once. This Sweden is probably more of a team.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: 'Italy continues without me'

http://www.football-italia.net/112618/buffon-italy-continues-without-me

Nov 10, 2017

Gigi Buffon revealed childhood memories of Italy missing a tournament and laughed off his retirement. “The Nazionale will continue without me!”

The Azzurri take on Sweden in Solna for tonight’s World Cup play-off and could fail to qualify for their first World Cup since 1958.

“There is confidence, but also the right level of tension. As we want to make a good impression and reach the World Cup, it’s right to  be focused,” the goalkeeper told Sky Sport Italia.

“The World Cup without Italy would be hugely disappointing, as I still have memories as a child of Ruggiero Rizzitelli hitting the upright against Russia in a game that would’ve qualified us for Euro 1992.

“I suffered a lot as a child who loved football and who realised I could not experience the joy and emotions of cheering on my country in a major tournament.”

Buffon turns 40 in January and was asked once again about his imminent retirement, but laughed it off.

“I will have to leave the Nazionale one day, but I will give you a scoop here. It’s a revelation: the Nazionale will continue without me! Someone will take my place! So relax, Italian football will continue anyway.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon contradicts Ventura

http://www.football-italia.net/112644/buffon-contradicts-ventura

Nov 10, 2017

Gigi Buffon contradicted many of Giampiero Ventura’s comments after Italy lost in Sweden. “We must avoid feeling unlucky.”

There was precious little the goalkeeper could do when substitute Jakob Johansson’s effort took a massive deflection off Daniele De Rossi.

That proved the decisive moment at the Friends Arena in Solna for the 1-0 result, as the Azzurri must turn it around at San Siro on Monday to avoid missing out on their first World Cup since 1958.

“We know that we lost, but also that we have another 90 minutes to overturn this complicated situation,” Buffon told TMW Radio.

Many of the captain’s comments seemed to be the polar opposite of those put forward by Coach Ventura.

“The first rule of international football is not to feel sorry for yourself. There were a lot of rough challenges flying around, including some that were gratuitous and at the limits of acceptability.

“It was a very physical game, the referee officiated in an English style by letting a lot go and we hope that won’t be the way fouls are judged in the second leg.

“We’ve got to have faith for Monday, otherwise we’ve already lost. This match was decided by incidents and there’s no point wasting energy right now on analysing the details.

“At San Siro, we need a performance worthy of Italy. The only thing we must avoid is making proclamations or feeling that we are unlucky. We’ve got to keep our heads firmly on our shoulders and stand up straight.

“There are another 90 minutes and we want to make the most of them. I hope that we’re ferocious and have an enjoyable evening on Monday.

“I expect those at San Siro to take off whatever club colours they usually hold and all come together with pride for the Azzurri.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: 'I'm irrelevant, this is Italy'

Italia-Svezia, Buffon è carico: "È l'ora dei fatti, sarà una piccola impresa"

http://www.football-italia.net/112709/buffon-im-irrelevant-italy

Nov 12, 2017

Gigi Buffon insists his Italy career is “irrelevant” in the World Cup play-off with Sweden. “It’s for the Nazionale, the fans and our entire football movement.”

The first leg ended 1-0 in Solna on Friday and the decider is at San Siro on Monday at 20.45 CET - 19.45 GMT.

“It is certainly a moment of high tension, considering what is at stake and the sense of responsibility each of us must bear,” the captain said in his Press conference.

“There’s no point denying there is the possibility we can overturn this result and we are cradling this objective, this dream, but also realise it is an important game for the history of our Nazionale.”

Buffon said he was due to retire from international duty after the 2018 World Cup, so what happens if they don’t qualify?

“Many times in my career, I have been faced with these crossroads, in or out. Sometimes it was in, sometimes out, but that’s the journey we all go through.

“It changes nothing in my future and my rapport with the Nazionale. What does change is that a victory, regardless of my own personal progress in the Nazionale, means a lot for the team, the Coach, the fans and our entire football movement.

“I count for nothing in this. The only thing that I would have would be a personal satisfaction, but in the wider scheme of things, I am irrelevant.”

Buffon was asked if the more experienced players were trying to help the younger elements through this difficult time.

“We all experience these things in our own personal way. As far as I am concerned, I’ve been very tense since Friday and have the right focus for this match.

“We want to send the Italians a message not with words, but with action on the field. We invite them to support us, but realise the time has come for us to show them what we’ve got.

“I would love for those who come to the stadium tomorrow to take off their club colours and all wear the Azzurri jersey that unites us all.”

Considering Sweden won the first leg 1-0, will they be very defensive at San Siro?

“Sweden have been playing in a very consolidated way for many years and their attitude won’t change. It all depends on how we step on to the field.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: 'Italy cannot be mediocre'

http://www.football-italia.net/112711/buffon-italy-cannot-be-mediocre

Nov 12, 2017

Gigi Buffon again seemed to go against Coach Giampiero Ventura’s comments. “Italy must not get accustomed to mediocrity.”

The first leg of their World Cup play-off ended 1-0 in Sweden on Friday and the decider is at San Siro on Monday at 20.45 CET - 19.45 GMT.

“These are intense days, ones where we’re plugged in and there’s no rest. It’s so important that you cannot afford to relax. You work every second of the day, thinking of any word or option to give to the cause and overturn this result,” the captain told Sky Sport Italia.

While Ventura said in his Press conference and interview with Sky that he was “frankly amazed” people were surprised Italy finished behind Spain in their qualifying group and had to go via the play-offs, Buffon took a very different approach.

“We are a team that has the chance to overturn the first leg result, but above all must not get accustomed to mediocrity. That is the biggest danger for not just us, but the wider football movement.

“if you become accustomed to mediocrity, it’s a slippery slope and you go down quickly. The only way I know is to work constantly to keep the bar high, to improve and aim for excellence.”

This isn’t the first time Buffon has publicly taken the opposite approach to his tactician during the last few days.

“We talk in a constructive and positive way, but above all to share ideas and responsibilities, to ensure all the individuals share that burden and feel able to open up when needed.

“I feel that I am in this experience along with the other lads, the Coach, the directors and all of us who started this expedition a year-and-a-half ago. Some have been here for 15 or 20 years, but I’ve never seen a Coach, player or President win or lose a game by himself.

“Since childhood, sport and life has taught me that the greatest things are shared out, both success and failure.”

What will Buffon be thinking when he first walks out on to the field at San Siro tomorrow night?

“We need to warm up well, to ensure we are in the game from start to finish, with the right physical and psychological reactions to every eventuality.

“My only request to the fans is for them to come to the stadium with positivity, as you can be negative and critical only after the final whistle. We want everyone to be positive and cheer on the lads who are representing the country for those 90 minutes. After that, only time will tell.”

Buffon said he would retire from international duty after the 2018 World Cup, but if he doesn’t get there, is he planning a farewell testimonial?

“I haven’t considered this… I cannot paint a self-portrait, it’s for those who worked with me to say what I meant to them.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

BUFFON NAMED AS WORLD'S SECOND BEST PLAYER

The 39-year-old goalkeeping icon has been rewarded for leading

Juventus to a domestic double, as well as the Champions League final

http://www.goal.com/en/news/buffon-named-as-worlds-second-best-player/1g2l00n2w92lg1qxqpodgmxeil

Nov 13, 2017

Italy and Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon has claimed second place in the 2017 Goal 50.

The goalkeeping icon turned 39 in January but has enjoyed a stellar 12 months, winning another league-and-cup double with the Bianconeri, whom he also led to the final of the Champions League.

Of course, Buffon - who remains the world's most expensive goalkeeper 16 years after his €52 million transfer from Parma to Turin - was left heartbroken after Juve's loss to Real Madrid in Cardiff but there was nothing he could have done about his side's 4-1 defeat.

The Carrara native had played a pivotal role in the Old Lady reaching the final by going 600 minutes without conceding a goal in the Champions League - a new personal best - before Kylian Mbappe's strike for Monaco in the second leg of the semi-finals.

In addition, Buffon's performance in a 1-0 win for a 10-man Juve over Lyon in the group stage was immediately lauded as one of the finest of his career, thus silencing the critics who had written him off.

"I love it when they celebrate your funeral," he enthused on the night on which he saved a penalty from Alexandre Lacazette, "and then you show them that you're still alive."

Meanwhile, a sixth successive Serie A title took Buffon's overall tally to eight, moving him level with Virginio Rosetta, Giovanni Ferrari, and Giuseppe Furino as the players with the most Scudetti in the history of Italian football.

Second place also represents his highest ever ranking in the Goal 50, with his previous best having been a 16th-place finish in 2015.

But who denied 'San Gigi' top spot? Lionel Messi? Cristiano Ronaldo? Neymar? All will be revealed when the final Goal 50 list is published at 1200 UK time on Tuesday.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: 'Sorry to end like this'

http://www.football-italia.net/112773/buffon-sorry-end

Nov 13, 2017

Italy captain Gigi Buffon was in tears after the 0-0 draw with Sweden. “It’s a shame my last official game coincided with the failure to qualify for a World Cup.”

The Nazionale were unable to overturn the 1-0 first leg defeat in Solna and will not be going to Russia next summer. Buffon will also not become the first man ever to take part in six World Cup finals.

“It’s disappointing,” the 39-year-old said through tears on Rai Sport.

“Not for me, but for the football movement, because we failed something that could’ve been truly important for the country. That is the only regret I have and certainly not that I am finishing my career, because time passes and it’s only right.

“It’s just a shame my last official game coincided with the failure to qualify for the World Cup.”

Buffon was asked if they had underestimated Sweden in this play-off.

“We did not underestimate anything, because those who played in these games knows what it means to face these sides, how hard it is to overcome a 1-0 deficit psychologically too.

“Perhaps we didn’t express the best football that we could, that is the regret. We lacked the energy and sharpness to score a goal, but at the end of the day Sweden played in much the same way as the first leg. This play-off was decided by incidents, which went well for them and badly for us.

“When incidents go badly for you, it’s probably your own fault too and if it goes well, you earned your luck.”

What happens now for the Azzurri after failing to qualify for their first World Cup since 1958?

“There is certainly a future for Italian football, as we have pride, ability, determination and after bad tumbles, we always find a way to get back on our feet.

“I leave a Nazionale of talent that will have their say, including Gigio Donnarumma and Mattia Perin. I want to give a hug to my Chiello, Barza, Leo and Lele, who I had almost 10 years alongside. I thank the lads who were with us and, although it wasn’t enough, I hope that we gave them something.”

Coach Giampiero Ventura has a contract to June 2020, but is bound to be fired or resign.

“In football you win as a group, you lose as a group, you divide the credit and the blame. The Coach is part of this entire group.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

N'Kono to Buffon: 'You're a legend'

http://www.football-italia.net/112815/nkono-buffon-youre-legend

Nov 14, 2017

Gigi Buffon’s tears at missing the 2018 World Cup prompted a video message from his hero: Cameroon legend Thomas N’Kono.

Italy’s failure to get past Sweden in the play-offs, losing 1-0 on aggregate, means Buffon won’t be the first man ever to take part in six different editions of the World Cup.

He shot-stopper received many messages of support, but probably none more special than from his all-time hero, the man who made him want to be a goalkeeper in 1990 and who he named his son Thomas after.

“Hello friend,” said N’Kono in a video message recorded on the Espanyol Twitter account, where he is currently a member of the staff.

“This is a difficult moment, one like so many in sport. You must smile and keep your head up high, it’s the time to get back on your feet.

“Have courage and strength, for you will always be a legend.”

rBDGYraCE2h0MjYA.jpg

Ciao, @gianluigibuffon! Abbiamo un messaggio per te; da leggenda a leggenda! #RCDE

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Neto: ‘Juventus didn’t believe in me’

http://www.football-italia.net/112891/neto-‘juventus-didn’t-believe-me’

Nov 16, 2017

Neto laments that he “didn’t have the confidence” of Juventus, and admits “maybe things could have gone differently if I’d stayed at Fiorentina”.

The Brazilian spent two seasons with the Bianconeri as Gianluigi Buffon’s understudy, but managed just 11 Serie A appearances in that time and move to Valencia this summer.

“They were two important years,” Neto told Fox Sports in an interview which will be broadcast in full tomorrow night.

“I wasn’t happy though because I didn’t play, I have to feel like there’s competition and the chance to go onto the pitch.

“I didn’t succeed at Juventus, I didn’t have their confidence and I lost the desire, so I decided to go elsewhere and prove what I’m worth.

“Buffon is a reference point for everyone in the dressing room, I didn’t think I’d unseat him but I worked at my best to prove I was up to the situation.

“Fiorentina? The team and city will always be in my heart. Maybe things could have gone differently if I’d stayed at Fiorentina, but I’m a professional and that’s all I can say about my move to Juventus.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Strakosha: 'Hurt to see Buffon so sad'

http://www.football-italia.net/112907/strakosha-hurt-see-buffon-so-sad

Nov 16, 2017

Lazio goalkeeper Thomas Strakosha admits it “hurt to see my idol Gigi Buffon so sad,” along with Ciro Immobile and Marco Parolo, after Italy missed the World Cup.

The Azzurri were beaten 1-0 on aggregate by Sweden in the play-off and for the first time since 1958, there will be no Nazionale at the tournament.

“My father (Albania legend Foto Strakosha) is my hero, but my idol has always been Buffon and it hurt to see him so sad, as all of Italy wanted to go through,” Strakosha told Sky Sport Italia.

“It was awful to see him so distraught and it made me sad too, along with all Italians. He deserved a different ending with the Nazionale.”

Albania international Strakosha’s Lazio teammates Immobile and Parolo have also resumed training after this huge disappointment.

“I saw them the day after and they were so sad. I wasn’t accustomed to seeing them like that, I’d never seen them so downbeat. It’s only to be expected, because the World Cup is such a wonderful experience.

“It’s an even heavier burden to carry because Italy hadn’t missed out in 60 years. They gave their all, I watched the game, but they were just a little unlucky.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon has further records to break

http://www.football-italia.net/112942/buffon-has-further-records-break

Nov 17, 2017

Gianluigi Buffon could break a further two Serie A records before his planned retirement at the end of the season.

The Juventus goalkeeper wanted to bow out after the 2018 World Cup, which would have been his sixth, but Italy failed to qualify.

There are nevertheless still two records the 39-year-old could realistically break before he hangs up the gloves.

Buffon currently sits second in the all-time list for most Serie A appearances, with 627 to Paolo Maldini’s 647.

Therefore, if the veteran plays in 21 of the remaining 26 league matches, he’d retire as the man who has played the most games in Italy’s top flight.

In addition, by the official record Buffon is currently tied for first place in terms of Scudetti won.

While Juventus continue to claim the 2004-05 and 2005-06 titles stripped in the Calciopoli scandal, officially the goalkeeper has eight Scudetti.

That ties him with Virginio Rosetta, Giovanni Ferrari and Beppe Furino, but if the Bianconeri can win the title again this season Buffon would retire with nine, although the man himself would count it as 11.

Buffon already holds the record for most appearances by a goalkeeper, longest run without conceding [974 minutes], and most consecutive clean sheets [10].

In addition, he has played more minutes than anyone for Juventus, as well as holding the record for most Champions League appearances for the Old Lady.

Alessandro Del Piero holds the Juve appearance record with 705, and Buffon would need another 70 appearances to match that.

For his country though, the goalkeeper is far ahead for most caps with 175, with the draw with Sweden on Monday night likely the last of those.

Among his other Nazionale records are most clean sheets [77], highest number of penalties saved [5] and most games as captain, with Buffon and Fabio Cannavaro both on 79.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: No rush over future

http://www.football-italia.net/113082/buffon-no-rush-over-future

Nov 20, 2017

Juventus veteran Gianluigi Buffon says he will take his time before deciding which route to take after football. “I don’t want to look like a fool.”

Buffon will hang up his gloves at the end of the season after Italy’s failure to qualify for the World Cup, and the 39-year-old was asked whether he saw himself in an executive position, following in the footsteps of Francesco Totti at Roma.

“Do I see myself as a director in the future? I don’t want to look like a fool, so I’ll only do whatever I end up doing in the future once I’ve prepared for it properly,” he told UEFA’s official website.

“I played as a midfielder until I was 12, and then came the brainwave of watching the 1990 World Cup and sympathising with Cameroon.

“It was there that I admired Thomas N’Kono and I wanted to emulate him.

“After that, whenever I went in goal, my dad would sometimes tell me that I wasn’t really that bad.

“How do I imagine my last game? Like my first, with great enthusiasm and pride.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Xavi: ‘I’m sorry for Buffon’

http://www.football-italia.net/113234/xavi-‘i’m-sorry-buffon’

Nov 23, 2017

Spain and Barcelona legend Xavi is “very sorry” for Gianluigi Buffon, after Italy missed out on the World Cup.

The Azzurri were beaten 1-0 by aggregate by Sweden in the play-offs, meaning they’ll miss out for the first time in 60 years.

Buffon had planned to play in the tournament before hanging up his gloves, but it now appears the play-off second leg was his final match for his country.

“It really is a shame,” Xavi told Premium Sport.

“A World Cup without Italy is a very strange and rare thing, because it hasn’t happened for so many years, and it’s a national team which has often won the competition.

“From a personal point of view I’m very sorry for Buffon, because he’s a real and proper legend, an example for all athletes and not just those who play football.

“It’s really sad that a personality like the will end his career with the national team in that way, but that’s football.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon: ‘I'd play for Italy even at 60’

http://www.football-italia.net/113461/buffon-‘napoli-are-unique’

Nov 27, 2017

Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon says Napoli have “a unique philosophy” and insists he’d play for Italy at 60 if they needed him.

The Bianconeri are in Naples on Friday for what’s being billed as a Scudetto showdown, and the goalkeeper discussed the match as he arrived for the Gran Gala del Calcio.

“The Partenopei have a unique philosophy,” Buffon told the assembled reporters.

“That means every Sunday they’re playing teams with a philosophy different from their own.”

Buffon has retired from Italy duty after the failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, but that doesn’t mean he’s lost his desire to play for the national team.

“I’m of a certain age, so it’s right for me to take a pause. With the way I am though, if there were a total absence of goalkeepers and they asked me to come back, I’d be there even at 60.”

Finally, the veteran was asked about Gennaro Gattuso taking over at Milan.

“He’s been at Milan for so many years, I’m sure he’ll know what keys to use to improve the team.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon named best player

http://www.football-italia.net/113463/buffon-named-best-player

Nov 27, 2017

The Gran Gala del Calcio was held tonight, with Maurizio Sarri named best Coach and Gianluigi Buffon best player.

The awards are basically the Italian football equivalent of the Oscars, naming the best performers from the past season.

Cagliari goalkeeper Alessio Cragno was named as Serie B’s best youngster for last season, thanks to his performances for Benevento.

Napoli Coach Maurizio Sarri wasn’t present, but his award for best Coach was accepted by Edoardo De Laurentiis.

With Napoli-Juventus on Friday, Juve legend Alessandro Del Piero received a special prize for the best goal in the history of the fixture

The best goalkeeper award went to Gianluigi Buffon, with the defence made up of Dani Alves, Kalidou Koulibaly, Leonardo Bonucci and Alex Sandro.

Roma’s Radja Nainggolan, Napoli captain Marek Hamsik and Miralem Pjanic of Juventus were named the best midfield for the past year.

In a 4-3-3 formation, the attack was formed by Paulo Dybala, Gonzalo Higuain and Dries Mertens.

Gianluigi Buffon was named as the best player, and made some jokes in his acceptance speech.

“Now I know why we went out against Sweden,” the Italy captain said, to laughs from the audience.

“I’m happy and proud. I never thought I’d get this kind of trophy, and I’ll hold tight to it because I’ve never won best youngster!”

Best Serie A XI 2017: Buffon; Dani Alves, Bonucci, Koulibaly, Alex Sandro; Nainggolan, Pjanic, Hamsik; Mertens, Higuain, Dybala

Player of the Year: Gianluigi Buffon [Juventus]

Team of the Year: Juventus

Coach of the Year: Maurizio Sarri [Napoli]

Female player of the Year: Alia Guagni [Fiorentina]

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon fourth in Ballon d'Or

http://www.football-italia.net/113935/buffon-fourth-ballon-dor

Dec 7, 2017

Juventus and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has been named fourth in the Ballon d’Or rankings for 2017, as Cristiano Ronaldo won again.

SuperGigi is due to retire at the end of this season and won his sixth consecutive Serie A title, Coppa Italia and reached the second Champions League Final in three years.

His Bianconeri teammate Paulo Dybala finished 15th, with current Milan defender Leonardo Bonucci 21st, Roma striker Edin Dzeko 28th and Dries Mertens of Napoli 29th.

France Football released the full list in a gradual countdown before crowning winner Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid.

This is the fifth edition of the trophy for CR7, who therefore equals the tally of second-placed Lionel Messi. Former Barcelona striker Neymar, now at Paris Saint-Germain, completes the podium.

Ballon d’Or 2017 final ranking:

1 Cristiano Ronaldo, 2 Lionel Messi, 3 Neymar, 4 Gianluigi Buffon, 5 Luka Modric, 6 Sergio Ramos, 7 Kylian Mbappé, 8 N’Golo Kante, 9 Robert Lewandowski, 10 Harry Kane, 11 Edinson Cavani, 12 Isco, 13 Luis Suarez, 14 Kevin De Bruyne, 15 Paulo Dybala, 16 Marcelo, 17 Toni Kroos, 18 Antoine Griezmann, 19 Eden Hazard, 20 David De Gea, 21 Leonardo Bonucci and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, 23 Sadio Mane, 24 Radamel Falcao, 25 Karim Benzema, 26 Jan Oblak, 27 Mats Hummels, 28 Edin Dzeko, 29 Dries Mertens and Philippe Coutinho

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Italy plan Buffon friendly

http://www.football-italia.net/113980/italy-plan-buffon-friendly

Dec 8, 2017

It’s reported Italy will play a friendly in either Turin or Parma in June, as a send-off for Gianluigi Buffon.

The goalkeeper plans to retire at the end of this season, with the last of his 175 Azzurri caps coming in the 0-0 draw with Sweden which saw the national team fail to qualify for the World Cup.

That means Buffon won’t get to play a final World Cup, but Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the FIGC is planning a friendly which would serve as a more fitting goodbye.

Italy are already playing a friendly with England at Wembley Stadium in March, before a match with France in Nice on June 1.

It’s now thought they will organise a second friendly that month, either at Juventus Stadium or the Stadio Ennio Tardini.

Those stadiums represent home for Buffon, as he started his career with Parma before making the move to Juventus in 2001.

It would be the legendary goalkeeper's last match, with the likely opponents said to be Switzerland, the Netherlands, Poland or the Republic of Ireland.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Buffon could play on

http://www.football-italia.net/114104/buffon-could-play

Dec 11, 2017

Reports claim Gianluigi Buffon could play on for another season, if Juventus still consider him important.

The goalkeeper is expected to hang up his gloves at the end of the current campaign, and has said he’ll only play on if the Bianconeri win the Champions League, so that he can play in the Club World Cup.

Buffon was seen talking to Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio on Saturday night ahead of the Derby d’Italia, and Sport Mediaset reports that the veteran told the Nerazzurri director he could play on.

It’s claimed that Buffon made it clear he’d be willing to play another season, but only if Juve still consider him to be “very important”.

It’s still unlikely that the 39-year-old will play for another season, but the Bianconeri have made it clear he can become a director or take a role in the coaching setup.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti