Vai al contenuto
Socrates

Andrea Barzagli

130764 messaggi

logo.png

Buffon and Barzagli to renew

May 9, 2012

Gianluigi Buffon and Andrea Barzagli will become the latest members of Juventus’ title winning squad to be handed new deals.

Reports today suggest that boss Antonio Conte will extend until 2016 later this month, but he won’t be alone.

Goalkeeper Buffon and Barzagli will be rewarded with new agreements seeing as their present ones expire in June 2013.

Buffon, it is claimed, will put pen to paper on a contract until 2016. The 34-year-old joined the club in the summer of 2001.

Barzagli, meanwhile, will be offered new terms until 2014, with an option for an extra 12 months on top of that.

Alessandro Matri, Paolo De Ceglie, Fabio Quagliarella and Leonardo Bonucci have already had their deals renewed this season.

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli: 'Juve Scudetto is different'

May 12, 2012

Andrea Barzagli admits the joy of winning the Scudetto with Juventus is “a stronger sensation” than his title at Wolfsburg.

The defender conquered the Bundesliga in 2009, but insists it cannot compare with the current celebrations in Turin.

“Having won the title is a wonderful sensation,” he told Juventus Channel. “There are still two games to the end of the season and we must remain concentrated, even if we are enjoying this moment to the full. On Sunday it’ll be a party for the fans, but we want to impress and remain unbeaten.

“I cannot compare winning the World Cup with anything else, but winning the Scudetto with Juve is certainly a much stronger sensation than the one I had at Wolfsburg.

“Few expected this success, but we wanted to be protagonists again and from the first day of pre-season training that’s what we worked towards. Over the course of the campaign we started believing, each day a little more...”

The Bianconeri welcome Atalanta to the Juventus Stadium on Sunday, then conclude their campaign with the Coppa Italia Final against Napoli on May 20.

“Anything can happen in a Final and you cannot afford a single mistake,” continued Barzagli.

“We had huge problems in Naples, while at home we played a great game and must take inspiration from that performance.

“Napoli are a solid side who have been playing the same system for two to three years, practically with the same players, and are really strong in attack. We’ll certainly have to be concentrated and prepare well for this match.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

imagegoalcomconcept2sub.jpg

Barzagli: Juventus want to end the season unbeaten

The Bianconeri have already wrapped up the Scudetto, but with a home fixture against Atalanta

and the Coppa Italia final against Napoli to play, the defender wants to finish well.

May 12, 2012

Juventus defender Andrea Barzagli has admitted his delight at winning Serie A, but is now eager to end the season unbeaten.

The Bianconeri won the Scudetto last weekend with a 2-0 win over Cagliari, but with a home fixture against Atalanta and the Coppa Italia final against Napoli still to play, the Italy international wants to avoid defeat this term.

"Winning the Scudetto feels great. There are still two weeks until the end of the season, so we must remain focused," he told Juventus Channel.

"Sunday's game will be a chance to celebrate with the fans, and we want to look good and remain unbeaten.

"Few people expected us to win the league, but we wanted to get back to our best and be protagonists from the first day.

"Juve did not deserve a low league finish last year and we have turned it around. Then, during the season we started to believe more and more," he confessed.

Antonio Conte's men will look to make a domestic double when they take on Napoli in the Coppa Italia final on May 20, but Barzagli is expecting a tough game.

"In a final anything can happen. When we played Napoli in Naples we had great difficulty, while at home it was a great match and we drew.

"They are a solid team that has played with the same side for two or three years, with virtually the same players, and up front they are really strong. We will definitely have to be careful and prepare for the match well."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli pens Juve deal

May 15, 2012

Andrea Barzagli has extended his contract with Italian champions Juventus until June 2015, according to Sky Sport Italia.

Barzagli, signed for under €1m from Wolfsburg in January 2011, was previously committed to the Old Lady until June 2013.

It is understood that the Italian international will see his current basic salary of €1.2m a season increase. Juventus have yet to confirm the deal.

The 31-year-old scored one goal in 35 League appearances for the Old Lady this season.

Alessandro Matri, Paolo De Ceglie, Fabio Quagliarella and Leonardo Bonucci have already had their deals renewed at the club this term.

Boss Antonio Conte and goalkeeper Gigi Buffon are expected to also pen new agreements in the near future.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli could miss Euro 2012

Jun 4, 2012

Andrea Barzagli could potentially be ruled out of the 2012 European Championship after the Italian picked up an injury.

The Juventus stopper has suffered a calf strain that Azzurri medics fear could see him sidelined for the next 20 days.

Italy are set to assess his condition before making a decision on whether to replace him in the squad with another stopper. They will have until 24 hours before their Spanish tie on Sunday to request a squad change.

Inter’s Andrea Ranocchia would be in pole position to be called up as he was in the 25-man squad before Cesare Prandelli reduced it to 23.

Reports today suggested that Italy could try out a Juventus three-man defence consisting of Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini at Euro 2012. A 3-5-2 now seems unlikely.

Italy lost 3-0 to Russia on Friday. Their preparations for the tournament have already been hampered by the match fixing investigation and an earthquake which saw their Luxembourg friendly cancelled.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli hopeful of recovery

Jun 5, 2012

The injured Andrea Barzagli is remaining optimistic that he will be able to feature for Italy at Euro 2012 this summer.

Barzagli is struggling with a calf strain that could see him sidelined for the next 20 days and he may be replaced in the squad before the tournament begins.

However, the Juventus stopper is hopeful that he could remain in the party for the European Championship.

“Let’s hope it all works out,” Barzagli noted. “I don’t know how long I will be out for, you’ll have to ask the doctors…

“The calf is a big muscle and if the medical staff are optimistic about my recovery then I am even more optimistic than they are.

“The problem occurred in the last few minutes of the game against Russia on Friday when I stretched for the ball.

“At the time it didn’t seem like a big issue, but I was limping the day after. I feel better now, but we’ll have to wait and see.”

It is understood that Cagliari centre-back Davide Astori has been put on stand-by. A final decision on Barzagli will be made on Friday.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli: 'I'm ready for Ireland'

Jun 16, 2012

Andrea Barzagli is ready to make his Euro 2012 debut against Ireland and criticised the media for focusing on a potential 2-2 draw between Spain and Croatia.

The defender was almost ruled out of the competition entirely by a calf strain, but has now recovered and could feature in Monday’s final Group C match.

“I am ready and Cesare Prandelli will make the decision. It makes little difference to me whether I am to the right or the left of Daniele De Rossi in the three-man defence,” said the Juventus man.

Most of the coverage on Italy’s chances of qualification have focused on the possible 2-2 draw between Spain and Croatia, a result that would send both those teams through.

“It is a complicated issue and it would’ve been better if we hadn’t talked about it,” noted Barzagli.

“I do not put anyone’s motivation in doubt and it comes normal to me to think the reigning champions Spain would never consider playing for a draw. The same goes for the Croatians.

“It is a mistake to even think about these things. In fact, I say it’s a problem stirred up by the media, because within the squad very few – probably nobody – believes this.

“It’s true that it has already happened in football, but we are not thinking about this possibility. We only want to win our game.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Just Juventus for Barzagli

Jun 20, 2012

Italian international Andrea Barzagli has underlined that he would like current club Juventus to be his last.

The centre-back joined the Old Lady in January 2011 from Wolfsburg and ended up winning the championship this term.

“I would like to stay at Juventus for life,” he told the giornalaccio rosa dello Sport. “I came back to Italy from Germany and I think I have settled well.

“We won a splendid Scudetto. I am now 31-years-old and I have no desire to move away from Turin now.”

Juventus and Barzagli surprised many onlookers this term and he hopes 2012-13 will be just as successful.

“The new campaign is already looking good for Juventus,” the former Palermo man continued. “Mauricio Isla and Kwadwo Asamoah are two great signings from Udinese.”

The Bianconeri are also close to signing Sebastian Giovinco back from Parma, while they are on the verge of doing a deal for Pescara’s Marco Verratti – although he won’t arrive until the summer of 2013.

Barzagli is contracted to Juve until June 2015.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli: 'Italy silenced England'

Jun 24, 2012

Andrea Barzagli admits he was nervous during the shoot-out, but credited total concentration for Italy keeping England ineffective.

“I was nervous during the penalties, as I thought it wouldn’t be right to go out, so I was very tense. In the end, we definitely deserved to go through.

“It’s only normal to get worried, but the others did brilliantly and it is never easy to take a penalty,” he said of the shoot-out victory.

Wayne Rooney was the big danger man, but did precious little to trouble the Azzurri back line.

“We didn’t suffer much at the back, that is true, but we kept concentrated for 120 minutes, as you can never make a mistake against a player like him.”

Italy now go through to face tournament favourites Germany in Thursday’s semi-final.

“It’s not a problem if Germany are the favourites. We realised today precisely what our potential is. We won’t start as favourites, but we’re not beaten yet either.

“There is fatigue and you feel it, but after this victory we feel it less, as a win fires us up. We don’t have long to recover, but we will give it our best.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli: 'Italy strength is unity'

Jul 1, 2012

Andrea Barzagli believes Italy’s star man will be “the group” in tonight’s Euro 2012 Final against Spain. “We know what to do.”

The Azzurri opened their tournament against the reigning World and European Champions in a 1-1 draw on June 10, but now they face off again.

“Now for the most difficult game against the champions of everything,” said Barzagli, who was injured for that first encounter.

“There is tiredness, but we watched videos and have been playing together for a month, so we know what to do. We’ve got positive sensations.”

Andrea Pirlo is the favourite to be named MVP of the competition, but Barzagli believes Italy’s strengths lie elsewhere.

“Who is our star man? The group, then clearly we hope that we put some individuals in a position to come out with a world class moment.

“Spain might not fear us, but they respect us a great deal.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli: 'A good tournament'

Jul 1, 2012

Andrea Barzagli admits this Final defeat to Spain was “not pleasant,” but urged Italy to see the bigger picture.

“There is disappointment, but it doesn’t wipe out the good work we did in the tournament. Losing a Final 4-0 is certainly not pleasant,” said the defender.

“Spain deserve a lot of credit, as you don’t win three major tournaments in a row by chance. We helped them a little with our performance, as we were very tired, but can only compliment Spain.

“You could see from the start we were having problems and were always second to the ball.

“Physically we were drained and we know Spain pass it around like that to make the other team chase them.

“We had an excellent tournament apart from the Final, so we resume with a good mentality and some young players. We won’t always be playing against Spain!

“I think the Nazionale has changed completely since the 2010 World Cup.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli: 'Trial fires up Juve'

Aug 9, 2012

Andrea Barzagli insists the betting trial is “not disturbing us. If anything, this fires us up even more” ahead of Juventus-Napoli for the Italian Super Cup.

A verdict is expected some time before tomorrow that is reportedly set to suspend Coach Antonio Conte for 10 months, clearing Leonardo Bonucci and Simone Pepe.

“We are in good shape, concentrated and care a lot about this challenge,” said Barzagli in a Press conference ahead of Saturday’s showdown in Beijing.

“The issues outside of football are not disturbing us. If anything, this fires us up even more. When you step on to the field, everything else is left behind and you focus only on the game.”

Napoli are the only team who managed to beat Juventus last season, winning the Coppa Italia Final 2-0.

“We know how strong Napoli are, as they have important players and great potential, but last year the real protagonist was Juve and I think Napoli will have to really struggle a lot to win the Super Cup.

“We will be aggressive and try to impose our style of play. Basically, it’ll be the usual Juve.

“They also caused us problems at the San Paolo with a 3-3 draw, but in Turin we dominated 3-0 and the Coppa Italia Final was very balanced, decided by incidents.

“In a one-off match, anything can happen. The difference is made by the grit and hunger each of us put into the game.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

Barzagli: Juventus must show same hunger and determination as last year

The defender is looking to replicate last year's success in the new season,

and stressed that it's crucial to keep working hard.

Aug 20, 2012

Andrea Barzagli feels Juventus are heading the right way as they edge closer to the start of the 2012-13 Serie A campaign, but has urged his team-mates to remain hungry for more trophies.

The Italy international feels their determination was crucial to last year's accomplishments and wants to see more of the same in the new season.

"We weren't favourites when we set out last year but we believed in ourselves and we ran out as winners," Barzagli was quoted as saying on the official Juventus website.

"We just need to make sure we keep going out there with the same hunger and determination, otherwise you stop going forward.

"We're working really hard, the new lads have settled in well and the results are there for all to see."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli demands Juventus hunger

Aug 20, 2012

Andrea Barzagli has urged his Juventus side to show the same appetite for success which helped them to the title last term.

The Old Lady won the Scudetto after finishing the previous two seasons in the Italian top flight in seventh place.

“We weren't favourites when we set out last year, but we believed in ourselves and we ran out as winners,” the January 2011 signing from Wolfsburg stated.

“We just need to make sure we keep going out there with the same hunger and determination, otherwise you stop going forward.”

Juventus have enjoyed a reasonably good pre-season after wins against Napoli in the Italian Super Cup and a 3-2 triumph over Milan on Sunday.

“We're working really hard,” added the Italian international. “The new lads have settled in well and the results are there for all to see.

“This match against Milan was an important test and we came through it well. We showed people what we're made of.

“We weren't on top of our game in the Super Cup but we played well on Sunday, even though we were missing a couple of key men.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

‘Barzagli the best in Italy’

Sep 21, 2012

Juventus stopper Andrea Barzagli is the best defender in Italian football, says fellow 2006 World Cup winner Simone Barone.

Barzagli has become something of a rock at the back for the Old Lady in recent seasons and Barone thinks he doesn’t get enough credit.

“I played with him for two years at Palermo and I have to be honest, Barzagli is a really strong defender,” the free agent midfielder told Tutto Juve.

“Not enough people talk about him. It’s right that people speak of Mirko Vucinic, Andrea Pirlo and Gigi Buffon who are top players, but Barzagli is doing some extraordinary things.

“He never gets a game wrong. Andrea is a really important player whose strength is his concentration and consistency.”

The Old Lady netted the 31-year-old in January 2011 from German club Wolfsburg for just €600,000.

“Barzagli arrived quietly as he tiptoed amongst the sceptics who had forgotten him after his experience at Wolfsburg. But Andrea has done really well and he is today the best defender in Italy!”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli: 'Juve have more belief'

Sep 30, 2012

Andrea Barzagli says Juventus “have even more belief than last season,” which is why they demolished Roma 4-1.

“We put in a great performance and are very happy, especially as we were worried, knowing Roma’s qualities,” said the defender.

“In the second half we could’ve controlled the game a little better, but in any case at the end of the day we did well.”

Barzagli even went on a rare foray forward to set up the last-minute Sebastian Giovinco strike.

“Did I get vertigo being that far up the pitch? Yes, my teammates all made fun of me! I had that little bit of energy left and joined the attack.”

Juve are top of the table and extended their unbeaten Serie A run to 45 matches, but could be up there alone if Napoli don’t beat Sampdoria today.

“We have reinforced the squad and have even more belief than last season, but we know Serie A is always going to be difficult and on top of that we’ve got Champions League commitments.

“When we step up the tempo, we can make life tough for any opponent.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

Bonucci and Barzagli struggles a big concern

for both Italy and Juventus

The Azzurri eventually clinched a vital three points against Armenia in Yerevan,

but not without a number of scares as their centre-back pairing turned in under-par showings.

Oct 13, 2012

COMMENT

By Kris Voakes | Italian Football Writer

It is often said that the sign of a good team is the ability to play badly and still win, but Italy’s 3-1 World Cup qualifying victory against Armenia in Yerevan came with a huge sigh of relief following a massively underwhelming performance from Cesare Prandelli’s side.

Thanks to a goal and an assist each from Andrea Pirlo, Daniele De Rossi and Pablo Daniel Osvaldo – coincidentally the Azzurri’s three best outfielders on the night – Italy head into Tuesday’s clash with Denmark at San Siro with a two-point advantage in Group B. However, the fact that Gianluigi Buffon also deserves a mention in the list of star men owes a lot to the lacklustre performance by La Nazionale, and, worringly, speaks of a great number of question marks over the displays of centre-back pairing Andrea Barzagli and Leonardo Bonucci.

The Juventus duo were both a long way short of their best as Henrik Mkhitaryan gave them the kind of run-around he also delivered for Shakhtar Donetsk against the Bianconeri in the Champions League 10 days earlier, and with Yura Movsisyan’s movement causing havoc at the heart of the Italy back four, the visitors were lucky not to be at least two down before putting together the second-half rally which would eventually see them claim all three points.

While Bonucci has always been error-prone, this was a particularly ugly performance from the Bari alumnus, with a ridiculously heavy touch early on sending Armenia onto the attack and setting the tone for his evening. Seconds after Pirlo had given Italy the lead from the spot, he was booked for hauling down Mkhitaryan having been completely outdone for pace, and he followed that with several poor passes and moments of sheer idiocy as he laboured with and without the ball, allowing Armenia to win possession in key areas.

Barzagli was little better, with his continued inability to replicate his form of 2011-12 becoming of increasing concern. But for the moment he outstripped Roma’s Rodrigo Taddei to tee up Sebastian Giovinco in Juventus’ 4-1 Serie A win, he has regularly appeared a yard off the pace this term, and he was short of the mark in the same regard against Armenia. Add to that the fact that he was pulled out of position all too regularly, most notably when Davit Manoyan found himself unmarked in Barzagli’s vicinity, only to be foiled by Buffon, and one has to wonder how both Juve and Italy go about fixing these defensive woes.

Moments after Manoyan's crucial miss, De Rossi's excellent movement allowed him to head home from Pirlo's cross, before the Roma midfielder's free-kick was met by Osvaldo to give the Azzurri a margin they barely deserved. The result was secure, but there was little about Italy's defensive performance which could come under the same category.

With both centre-backs playing almost constantly, there is an argument that they need regular rest just as much as Bianconeri midfielders Pirlo and Arturo Vidal, but games are coming thick and fast, and both club and country need their centre-backs to find their form ahead of vital World Cup and Champions League fixtures to come.

Then again, if either continues to turn in performances like they did on Friday, they could just as easily be dropped as rested.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

logo.png

Barzagli respects Bendtner threat

Oct 16, 2012

Andrea Barzagli has warned his Italian international teammates that Denmark’s Nicklas Bendtner is a striker to be respected.

The Juventus forward has rarely featured for his new club following his deadline day switch from Arsenal, but Barzagli knows what he’s capable of.

“We’ll have to pay Bendtner some close attention,” the centre-back noted. “Italy haven’t seen him yet, but I face him in training everyday.

“He’s mobile, strong in the air and is dangerous with the ball at his feet.”

Italy face Denmark tonight in World Cup qualification and Barzagli is set to be partnered by Giorgio Chiellini, after Leonardo Bonucci played alongside him in the 3-1 win over Armenia on Friday.

“We’ve been playing together for years at Juventus and all three of us are interchangeable,” added the former Palermo stopper.

“We know each other well and playing in a four-man defence is not a problem either. We just need to make sure we win as this is a key game towards qualification.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Barzagli: Carrera and Alessio are good

but Conte is on a different level

The Italian defender has made it known that he has the utmost respect

for the two assistant trainers, but stated that they do not come close to the head coach.

Nov 30, 2012

Juventus centre-half Andrea Barzagli believes Antonio Conte's return in a week is going to be a great boost for the team.

The 43-year-old was slapped with a 10-month ban at the start of the season due to failure to report alleged match-fixing during his time in charge of Siena.

The punishment was subsequently reduced to four months, and Conte is set to return on the Juventus bench in a week.

"Massimo Carrera and Angelo Alessio are good, but Conte is something completely different," Barzagli told the Corriere dello Sport.

"It is not easy to face so many games without a coach with his temperament, someone who knows how to drag us along."

Juventus have lost two out of their last four domestic matches, much to the dismay of players and fans alike.

"We played poorly, we know that. We've looked at the errors and we're ready to start again.

"Tomorrow’s opponents Torino are a tough side, well organised and they have suffered in very few games."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Barzagli: Juve not the best but…

Dec 7, 2012

Andrea Barzagli has admitted that his Juventus side are not the strongest in the Champions League – but that may not be a hindrance.

The Turin giants booked their place in the last 16 of the competition this week with a 1-0 win at Shakhtar Donetsk which saw them top the group.

“As Gigi Buffon says, being the strongest doesn’t always matter,” he told the giornalaccio rosa dello Sport. “Being the best at the right moment does…

“It is right to admit that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich have a bit more than we do, so we therefore hope to avoid Jose Mourinho’s Real in the next round.

“But at that stage of the competition, anything can happen.

“This has been a long personal journey for me as I’ve reached this stage for the first time in my career at the age of 31.”

Barzagli continues to be a key figure for Juventus after his arrival from Wolfsburg in January 2011.

“Winning a place in the Juventus side after Wolfsburg gave me security,” the former Palermo man continued.

“And to become a first teamer for the Italian national side again after a two-year absence was something unique.

“I’m now in better shape than when I was younger.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Barzagli: Juventus have not won anything yet

The experienced centre-back has warned his team-mates not to become complacent,

while praising his side's defensive strength this season.

Jan 12, 2013

Andrea Barzagli has warned that the season is still long for Juventus and has stressed that they cannot afford to lose focus.

The Bianconeri qualified for the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia by beating AC Milan earlier this week, sit atop of the Serie A table, and have also reached the knock-out stages of the Champions League.

"We’re at the top of the league, but there’s still the entire second half of the season ahead of us and we need to go back to expressing our usual rhythm," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"The same goes for the Coppa Italia and Champions League: we must face every game with great attention, but this, after all, is our mentality."

The centre-back then went on to voice his opinion that Juventus' defence is among Europe's best.

"Last year we were the championship’s strongest defence and we’re showing that again," he continued.

"In Europe there are perhaps defenders who, individually speaking, are better than us, but I think that on an organisational level there are few teams up to our standard."

The Turin giants have conceded 13 goals in Serie A this term.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Barzagli clocks up Juve apps

Feb 11, 2012

Juventus’ swoop for Andrea Barzagli has proved to be exceptional value for money when you consider some giornalaccio rosa dello Sport stats.

The 2006 World Cup winner was signed in January 2011 from Wolfsburg for just €300,000 given that he had only six months left on his deal in Germany.

Since his return to Italy, Barzagli has played in 87 of the Old Lady’s subsequent 94 matches in all competitions.

The centre-back is Antonio Conte’s most used player this term given that he has appeared in 33 ties – all from the start. He’s thus totalled over 3,000 minutes of action this season.

The giornalaccio rosa has also outlined that Barzagli has been booked in only eight of his 87 encounters for La Signora.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Barzagli: Defence the basis of success

Mar 5, 2012

Juventus defender Andrea Barzagli has praised the work of his defensive teammates as the Bianconeri prepare to face Celtic.

The Turin giants host the Scottish champions in the second leg of their last 16 Champions League tie tomorrow.

And the 31-year-old has claimed that defensive organization is the basis of all their success recently, as well as commenting on his own campaign.

“The basis of our defence is organization,” he told a Press conference. “We have been working hard even in the few days we've had [since the Napoli match].

“There is a great harmony in this group. The midfielders and attackers also give us defenders a big hand.

“We are a compact team that works hard. We have a solid foundation and we hope that continues to be the case.

“It is difficult for me to say if this has been my best season or not,” the former Palermo man added.

“Of course, the important thing is continuity. I am part of a solid defence that has been doing some great things for the past 18 months now.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Barzagli claims Balotelli is better than Neymar

The 31-year-old believes the Milan striker is more capable than his South American

contemporary, and anticipates great things from his compatriot at Brazil 2014.

Mar 23, 2013

Italy defender Andrea Barzagli has tipped Mario Balotelli to be the star of the 2014 World Cup ahead of Neymar, prompted by his international team-mate's display against Brazil on Thursday.

Cesare Prandelli's men had found themselves 2-0 down to the Selecao before Balotelli struck a superb equaliser to cap a fightback, leading Barzagli to claim he believed the striker to be a more complete player than his Santos counterpart.

"Who seems to be more ready to become the star at the next World Cup? For me, Balotelli is more ready, because he already has had important experiences," the Juventus stopper told La Stampa.

"Neymar is a phenomenon and only lacks European experience to be the best, but as I mentioned, Balotelli is proving to be more ready at this point."

Following their credible draw, the Azzurri now travel to Malta for their World Cup qualifier, and Barzagli has called for the squad to maintain similar focus against the relative European minnows.

"We did well against Brazil, but now we need to keep up that attitude against Malta," the 2006 World Cup winner insisted.

"It will be a difficult match, and we cannot afford to lose momentum for the three points then."

Lazio custodian Federico Marchetti is an injury doubt for Tuesday after Giorgio Chiellini pulled out of the squad earlier this week, but Claudio Marchisio and Ignazio Abate are newly expected to be at Prandelli's disposal.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130764 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

'I have to say thank you to Magath' - Barzagli

The Juventus defender believes that his former coach was instrumental

in his development into a consistent performer.

Mar 24, 2013

Andrea Barzagli has paid tribute to ex-Wolfsburg boss Felix Magath, revealing that his influence changed his mental approach to football.

Barzagli joined Juventus from the Bundesliga outfit in January 2011 for a fee of around €300,000 and has gone on to make 94 appearances for the club so far.

Speaking to giornalaccio rosa dello Sport, the 31-year-old Italian praised his former coach and highlighted the changes he made to his game under the German's tutelage.

"Magath was the coach who has changed my level mentally," the former Palermo defender stated.

"I was able to force myself into rigidity and consistency at the level of work during the week."

It was this psychological training, Barzagli believes, that has enhanced his reputation and allowed him to now be considered one of Italy's finest defenders.

"There are potentially defenders stronger than me, but in certain areas, namely concentration and physical preparation, I am among the best in the league."

The Old Lady currently sit top of Serie A with 65 points from 29 games and their central defender is very clear on his ambitions for the remainder of the campaign.

"I want to finish the season with at least one success at club level and World Cup qualification in my pocket," he added.

"We are holding the championship and it's ours to lose. We will not give an inch because we don't want to look foolish come the end of the season."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti