Vai al contenuto
Socrates

Andrea Pirlo

130719 messaggi

imagegoalcomconcept2sub.jpg

Juventus success proves I am still number one, claims Pirlo

The Italy playmaker feels he has been fully vindicated in his decision to swap Milan

for Turin last summer, after playing a pivotal role in the side's Serie A triumph this season.

May 7, 2012

Andrea Pirlo has claimed that he has shown himself to be among the best players in the world following his contribution to Juventus' Scudetto success this season.

The midfielder did not have the best of campaigns last season, as despite being part of AC Milan's Serie A-winning squad in 2010-11, he struggled to make much of an impact under coach Massimiliano Allegri and experienced a dip in form for Italy as well.

However, his move to Juventus last summer proved to be vital tonic in his career, with Bianconeri coach Antonio Conte choosing to build his team around the 32-year-old, and Pirlo believes the switch has put him back in the same breath as other celebrated individuals.

"It's a title well deserved and one that we wanted from the beginning," Pirlo told Sky Sport Italia. "I think that we earned it on the pitch.

"I wanted to win and I did. I left Milan because I needed more motivation in my career, so I chose Juve and bought into their project.

"I believed I was number one and I believe I have demonstrated it again this season."

When quizzed on who would succeed him in his playmaking duties one day, Pirlo added: "I hope to continue playing for many more years because I am enjoying myself and I still really want to win more trophies."

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Intercepting his passes is like stealing the Mona Lisa from the Louvre -

If Pirlo was still at Milan, Juventus would not be champions

The former AC Milan man has come back to haunt his former side, with their decision

to release him leading to the Bianconeri winning back the Scudetto.

May 7, 2012

COMMENT

By Andrea Ghislandi

The other new acquisitions of Juventus’ summer of 2011 certainly played their part, and Arturo Vidal, Mirko Vucinic and Stephan Lichtsteiner will forever be remembered as key men in the triumph sealed in Trieste on Sunday night. But the real architect of the Bianconeri’s 28th official title - on the pitch at least - has been Andrea Pirlo.

“A silent leader”, his former national coach Marcello Lippi described him, and he has been very much that since pulling on the black and white shirt. On the field, he has spoken with his feet, off it he has done the talking inside the dressing room and with family and friends, well away from the indiscreet eyes of TV cameras and newspapers. He is the first to have a laugh and a joke, however surprising that may be when looking at that ever-serious expression he takes onto the field.

Along with Barcelona’s Xavi, Pirlo is football’s greatest regista of the last decade, and has been considered the right man to entrust with the job of retaining balance and injecting magnificence in the centre of the pitch ever since Carlo Ancelotti decided to switch him from trequartista in 2003.

While ‘Carletto’ saw the difference he made to AC Milan, Massimiliano Allegri perhaps didn’t, but Antonio Conte went as far as to scrap his beloved 4-2-4 in order to give him carte blanche in the centre. You could say it worked.

The Brescia-born midfielder put aside the injuries and misunderstandings of his final year at San Siro, and became the centrepiece of Juventus’ rewriting of history. He has contributed plenty of assists and a handful of goals, but above all it has been his consistency of performances which has made him the Old Lady’s most important man.

His possession game is so exemplary that to intercept his passes is as if to steal the Mona Lisa from the Louvre. Leonardo’s masterpiece was taken on one occasion in 1991, and Pirlo has been dispossessed almost as infrequently. Metronomic in the middle, his weight of passing, decision-making, and intelligence in movement have been second to none. The only drawback, and a forgivable one at that, has been his two spot-kick failures. Many Juve fans will say that came about from an unfamiliarity with the penalty spot after a long spell without an award going their way.

And while Gianluigi Buffon is the safest goalkeeper numbers wise in Serie A this season, much of that credit must go to the midfield trio of Vidal, Pirlo and Claudio Marchisio. The retention and recuperation of possession by the three men at the axis of the side has been of the highest level, ensuring that Juve spent as little time defending as was necessary.

The silent leader has been a silent champion all season, with never a word out of place, even after his troubled divorce from Milan following 10 trophy-laden years. It was a a difficult final campaign in 2010-11, and the millions of Rossoneri supporters who had so loved him knew in their hearts it was over.

Allegri preferred the steel of Mark van Bommel in midfield though, and allowed Pirlo to leave. Many see it as a huge error, and one which has now cost them the Scudetto.

With Pirlo in their colours, Ancelotti’s Milan played the best football in Europe, and when he exchanged red stripes for white ones Juventus became a lively, bubbling and profitable outfit. It can’t simply be coincidence.

One thing is irrefutable: If Pirlo was still at Milan, Juventus would not be champions of Italy right now.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Who is Juventus’ Player of the Season?

Goal.com names the top three stand-out performers for the Bianconeri in 2011-12

and then declares the overall winner. Have your say below!.

May 8, 2012

Following one of the most underwhelming seasons in the club's history, Juventus set about fixing things, and quickly. In came a new coach in Antonio Conte, new players, and the move to a new stadium also gave the club a fresh edge. The progress made off the field looked set to manifest itself on the pitch as early as the first day of pre-season training.

Suddenly, with the new acquisitions fitting in quickly, and the advantage of not playing in Europe, there was a building belief that this could be the season Juve bounced back. Indeed, the dream of a 28th official Scudetto became more and more achievable with each passing day.

Before anybody knew it, the Bianconeri were unbeaten and looking unbeatable, racking up points game after game to eventually see off all challengers. By the time the run-in came around, they had hit their best form of the season, and with AC Milan struggling, the Serie A title was theirs. Add a Coppa Italia final appearance to the mix, and it has been the perfect season, Napoli permitting...

Below, in alphabetical order, are Goal.com's three nominees for Juventus' player of the season, based on their club performances in all competitions. We then cast our vote at the bottom before leaving it up to you, the readers, to have your say.

ANDREA BARZAGLI | DEFENDER

With the Bianconeri rearguard having conceded just 19 goals in the league in a currently unbeaten campaign, much of the credit goes to the 31-year-old World Cup winner. While Leonardo Bonucci made good progress and Giorgio Chiellini performed well when playing both centre-back and left-back, Barzagli was the real wall erected in front of Gianluigi Buffon.

With 37 appearances in all competitions, only an injury against Chievo saw him miss games, and after winning the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg in 2008-09, his first Italian title was fully deserved. His contract expires next summer, but already the club are looking to extend his deal. Only a fool would allow the best defender in Italy this season to leave.

ANDREA PIRLO | MIDFIELDER

"Revenge is a dish best served cold" goes the old adage. And 365 days after celebrating a Scudetto with Milan, Andrea Pirlo was back in the role of key protagonist on the field in another title win. With few words and lots of work, he has transformed a side that couldn't string two passes together into one that opponents cannot get the ball from.

Racking up 13 assists, the Bresciano has become the man his team-mates thank most for the 28th title. The regista wasted little time in convincing Conte to renounce his favoured 4-2-4 to adapt to his characteristics, and so he has directed play from a 4-3-3 and then 3-5-2 with great aplomb. It was a winning gamble, because Pirlo has been second to none.

ARTURO VIDAL | MIDFIELDER

Juve originally wanted Gokhan Inler in their midfield last summer, but the Udinese man chose Napoli instead. As a back-up, the Bianconeri brought in the Chilean, and have never looked back, while the Swiss is busy wondering whether he made a big error in turning down the move to Turin.

Vidal's workrate, sacrifice, and hunger for the ball in all circumstances has seen him get through the work of three men all season. He has broken up countless opposition attacks, shown great ability on the ball, and also grabbed seven goals, many of which came during the vital closing stages of the campaign as Milan fell away.

It is easy to see why Bayern Munich were willing to pay €20 million for his services. Juventus fans remain delighted that Bayer Leverkusen decided to sell him for half the price in order not to reinforce their domestic rivals' squad.

WINNER: ANDREA PIRLO

The best regista in the world. This season, he has been the best player on the pitch in almost every game, but the most important in the destination of the Scudetto came in week 32 against Lazio. His magnificent performance, with his fantastic assist for Simone Pepe providing the icing on the cake, helped the Bianconeri to return to the top of the table after Milan won away at Chievo. They would not be knocked off their perch from that point on.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Pirlo: Allegri preferred Ambrosini & Van Bommel

in my position so I left for Juventus

The Juventus playmaker has taken a dig at the Rossoneri coach, while he has nothing

but positive words for his current boss at the Bianconeri after his move in 2011.

May 11, 2012

Andrea Pirlo has revealed that head coach Massimiliano Allegri's preference for Mark van Bommel and Massimo Ambrosini was one of the main reasons for him to leave AC Milan for Juventus in the summer of 2011.

The Italy international opted not to renew his expiring contract with the Rossoneri last season and eventually left them for Juventus, where he has immediately won the Serie A title in his first year.

"Allegri wanted to play Van Bommel or Ambrosini in front of the defence. I would have to change position, but I was not interested in doing that, so I joined Juventus instead," Pirlo stated to La giornalaccio rosa dello Sport.

The 32-year-old then went on discuss Antonio Conte, and had nothing but praise for the successful Juventus coach.

"He’s a great coach. I’ve had many coaches over the years, but no one is as meticulous in his work and as good at explaining things as him.

"From a tactical and instructive point of view he’s even better than [Carlo] Ancelotti and [Marcello] Lippi in my opinion."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo: Allegri didn’t want me

May 11, 2012

Andrea Pirlo has revealed that he left Milan because he was no longer in the first team plans of boss Massimiliano Allegri.

The playmaker quit the Rossoneri on a Bosman last summer to join Juventus and he subsequently inspired their Scudetto success.

“Milan offered me a one-year extension, but I wanted three years because I was younger than the other players whose contracts were expiring,” he told the giornalaccio rosa dello Sport.

“But the real reason behind why I left Milan was because Allegri wanted to use Massimo Ambrosini or Mark Van Bommel in front of the defence instead of me.

“That meant that I had to change position on the pitch. So I said ‘no thanks’ to Milan and chose Juventus.

“Milan decided that I was no longer useful to them. I understood that immediately during our meeting.”

Some were surprised by Pirlo’s decision to leave champions Milan for a team who had finished the previous two seasons in seventh place.

“When I was at Gigi Buffon’s wedding in June last year, people asked me if I was crazy because I had left,” he added.

“I then replied that when I decide to join another club, I do it because I want to win. And I also said that we would win the Italian championship.

“And now those same people thank me because they went and put money on us winning the Scudetto…”

While Juventus enjoyed the assists of Pirlo, Milan did struggle at times without his calmness and vision.

“A lot of my former teammates told me that they missed me during the campaign,” he added. “But I’m happy as I won.

“Almost all of my former teammates at Milan sent me text messages congratulating me on winning the Scudetto.”

The 32-year-old has fond memories of his time with the Diavolo, but he admits that their attempt to get him suspended for a Cup game after an alleged elbow on Van Bommel was uncalled for.

“That annoyed me,” he continued. “I played there for 10 years and they know that I don’t do certain things…”

The experienced Italian international also took advantage of the interview to praise ‘rookie’ Coach Antonio Conte.

“Conte is a great. I’ve had a lot of Coaches in my career, but never one who has been so prepared, so meticulous in his work and who explains things so well.

“We watch videos of our opponents three or four times a week and it's difficult for them to surprise us as a result.

“In terms of tactics and the way he teaches, he’s better than Carlo Ancelotti and Marcello Lippi.”

With the Scudetto won, Pirlo now believes that his side can be a force in next season’s Champions League.

“This Juve is one of the strongest ever in terms of mentality and pride,” he commented. “We can make a bid for the Champions League as we are now by playing in the same way.

“But we’ll need a few signings to complete the squad, even if we would have done well in the competition this season.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo against No 10 shirt retirement

May 15, 2012

Andrea Pirlo says he agrees with Alessandro Del Piero’s request for Juventus not to retire his No 10 jersey.

It is being claimed that the Old Lady were prepared to take the legendary shirt out of circulation in honour of Pinturrichio, but the club captain is opposed to the idea.

“I agree with the opinion of Alex,” the midfielder told Sky Sport Italia. “It is right that the No 10 jersey is not retired.

“Young champions should be given the chance to dream about wearing that number.”

There have been claims that Pirlo could inherit the shirt, but he’s quickly denied that option. “I’ll keep the No 21.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Juventus should not retire the number 10 shirt, says Pirlo

The Old Lady directors considered retiring the iconic jersey, but the Italian forward

asked the club to keep it available, an opinion shared by the former Milan man.

May 15, 2012

Alessandro Del Piero has refused a proposal by the Juventus board to retire his number 10 shirt, according to team-mate Andrea Pirlo.

It remains unclear where il Pinturicchio will play next season, but it is almost certain that the veteran will leave the Old Lady after 19 years of service.

However, Pirlo revealed that the 37-year-old does not want to see his number withdrawn from service.

"Juventus wanted to retire the number 10 shirt now that Alessandro is leaving the club, but he asked them not to do so," Pirlo revealed in an interview to Sky Sport Italia.

"I agree with his decision. It's unthinkable that someone will be up to Del Piero's legacy soon, but I am sure someone will, in the future."

The Italian midfielder believes many players dream of wearing the number 10 jersey for Juventus, and that is "a very beautiful thing", but he denied that he will take on the responsibility next season.

"I am staying with 21", he stated, "I've always had it and I want to keep it."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo: 'We start new Juve era'

May 15, 2012

Andrea Pirlo believes the Scudetto and Sunday’s Coppa Italia Final with Napoli are the beginning of a new Juventus era. “Now we can start really winning.”

The midfielder arrived on a free transfer from Milan last summer and proved decisive in their title triumph.

“I felt great joy after doing something important and indescribable. The party on the open top bus through the city streets was really amazing, as there were so many people,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“Today we began an important week of work, as we will reach Sunday with the right hunger and concentration to win this trophy. Napoli are a great team and proved that over the last few years. They too have the objective of winning, so it’s going to be a difficult game.”

If Juve win the Coppa Italia, it’ll mean they end the entire season unbeaten in all competition, as so far they’ve played 38 Serie A matches and four in the Cup.

“We laid the foundations to achieve something important, because when you begin a run of victories, it increases the hunger to keep going. Now other trophies and Finals to play are opening up to us, so we can start really winning,” added Pirlo.

He was asked about his ‘heir,’ the 19-year-old Marco Verratti who shone for Pescara this season and has been called up for the Euro 2012 long list.

“He is very talented. Is it irritating to hear about the ‘new Pirlo’? No, it’s not as if I can play until I’m 40. I keep going as long as I have fun and maintain the desire to play.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Playing alongside Pirlo next season would be fantastic, admits Verratti

The 19-year-old has often been compared to his older counterpart,

and has now affirmed suggestions that he has modelled his game after the Juve man .

May 17, 2012

Pescara wonderkid Marco Verratti has spoken of his admiration for Andrea Pirlo and revealed it would be a great honour to play alongside the Juventus midfielder.

Verratti's scintillating form has caught the eye of Italy coach Cesare Prandelli, who called the 19-year-old up to Italy's Euro 2012 preliminary squad.

"Andrea Pirlo is the best midfielder in Italy, perhaps even the world, and I admit to always watching him on TV in a bid to understand my similar role on the pitch," he said according to La giornalaccio rosa dello Sport.

"Playing alongside him next term would be fantastic, but we'll only talk about that at the end of this season."

Verratti's agent has confirmed there are talks ongoing between Juventus and Pescara, but negotiations have reportedly hit a snag over the transfer fee.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Andrea Pirlo sees off Zlatan Ibrahimovic to win Goal.com's

Player of the Season award in Serie A

The midfielder wins your vote as the outstanding performer in Serie A in 2011-12

as his impact on Juventus' title success helped him eclipse the Swede in our poll.

May 23, 2012

The wait is over. Last Monday Goal.com asked you to vote for the player you believed had been the best in Serie A during the 2011-12 campaign. There were four candidates from four different clubs. They were Udinese's Antonio Di Natale, Parma's Sebastian Giovinco, AC Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Juventus' Andrea Pirlo.

And the winner is ... Pirlo.

HOW YOU VOTED

1. Andrea Pirlo - 64.19%

2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic - 30.24%

3. Sebastian Giovinco - 2.98%

4. Antonio Di Natale - 2.59%

Of just under 7000 people who voted, a whopping 4441 picked out the Bianconeri midfielder as the best player in Italy over the course of the past season to leave the other three on the shortlist trailing in his wake. While Ibrahimovic gained a fair chunk of the vote, he finished a distant second to Pirlo. The two took almost 95 per cent of the total votes as Giovinco polled 2.98% and Di Natale claimed 2.59%.

Pirlo got his hands on the Scudetto for the second successive year, having been a winner with Milan in 2010-11, but this time around he had a much greater say in his team's triumph. He racked up 13 assists as the Old Lady claimed their first league-title win since Calciopoli, but more than that the Italy international was the rock around which Antonio Conte built his side.

The 33-year-old added three goals to his tally in 37 league matches, and was also a part of the Bianconeri side that reached the Coppa Italia final before falling to Napoli at the Stadio Olimpico on Sunday.

In moving from Milanello to the new Juventus Stadium, Pirlo backed himself as a regular starter in a title contender, and was quick to remind everybody of his winning qualities after Juve won the Scudetto.

"It's a title well deserved and one that we wanted from the beginning," Pirlo told Sky Sport Italia. "I think that we earned it on the pitch.

"I wanted to win and I did. I left Milan because I needed more motivation in my career, so I chose Juve and bought into their project.

"I believed I was number one and I believe I have demonstrated it again this season."

The honour of being named Goal.com's Serie A Player of the Season deservedly goes to Pirlo despite the superb form in front of goal shown by Ibrahimovic in the past nine months.

The Swede broke his personal best tally for goals in a single campaign, netting 28 in Milan's ultimately fruitless chase for the title.

His return included a first-half hat-trick at Palermo, and six doubles, with only one of those - against Inter in week 37 - not ending in a win for the Rossoneri. Such was his form in comparison to many of his team-mates that there has been serious questions asked of his future with the club, with some expecting him to move on after his first failure in nine years to win a domestic title.

"I wanted to win and I did. I believed I was number one and I believe I have demonstrated it again this season"

- Andrea Pirlo

For Giovinco and Di Natale, it was also a season of personal and team success. The 'Atomic Ant' was the star of a Parma side that improved markedly on their 2010-11 finish, securing another season in Serie A with plenty to spare. Giovinco's 15 goals more than doubled his previous career best, and has led many observers to speculate that he could return to co-owners Juventus before long.

Di Natale racked up a third straight 20-goal season, with his 23 strikes taking his tally to 80 since the summer of 2009. His continued form has seen him gain a belated call for the provisional Italy squad heading to Poland and Ukraine for Euro 2012, while his 2012-13 campaign will begin with another Champions League play-off appearance after his goals helped lead Udinese to an unexpected third-place finish.

Pirlo is the winner of your vote, however. The midfielder adds the Goal.com readers' accolade to the Serie A winner's medal he already has on his mantelpiece. So congratulations, Andrea! Now be sure to stay tuned in the coming days for the results of the best coach, best moment and best goal awards.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Ferrara: 'Verratti is not Pirlo'

May 26, 2012

Under-21 Coach Ciro Ferrara shot down Marco Verratti’s status as the new Andrea Pirlo. “Maybe in 10 years...”

The Azzurrini boss has seen 19-year-old Verratti propelled into the limelight by Pescara’s promotion from Serie B and his call-up in Italy’s long list for Euro 2012.

“We are talking about a boy who was born in 1992. History will tell us if he’ll end up like Pirlo,” Ferrara told Sky Sport Italia.

“For the moment there might be a resemblance, but when it comes to matching him, then maybe in 10 years... Andrea has never really had the publicity he deserves, as he is one of the best in the world.”

Another Under-21 star, Lorenzo Insigne, has been linked with a move back to parent club Napoli after topping the Serie B Capocannoniere charts with Pescara.

“I am convinced Insigne can make the step up to Serie A. In fact, he already earned that with their promotion. He has the quality to play with the big boys.

“However, it would be a shame if he went back to Napoli without being a protagonist. I believe if Napoli make this choice to recall him, then it’ll be because they give him the space he deserves. There are so many young foreign players getting a chance, I don’t see why Insigne shouldn’t.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo: 'Italy are like Juventus'

May 27, 2012

Andrea Pirlo is confident Italy can shine at Euro 2012 by taking inspiration from Juventus. “At Milan they thought I was finished, but here I am...”

The midfielder’s contract with the Rossoneri was allowed to expire a year ago and he revitalised his career by becoming decisive for Scudetto winners Juventus.

“At Milan they thought I was finished, but here I am...” smiled Pirlo in a press conference on international duty with Italy.

“I don’t know if I will continue my Azzurri career until the 2014 World Cup. We’ll see if I am still useful and will still be called up.”

Cesare Prandelli has pledged that Pirlo will have a crucial role in the European Championships next month.

“Our objective is to go all the way in this competition. We are not among the favourites and we know that, but I am convinced Italy can finish in the top four.

“Spain are the reigning World and European Champions, so clearly they are the favourites. Then there are great sides like Holland, Germany and France.

“Italy have great inner strength. This side resembles Juventus and can go far, as we have everything we need to go far.

“We enjoy playing our football together, have quality and hunger, so those are our strengths. We aim to reach at least the semi-finals, because we are Italy and we can do it.

“Am I crucial? There are many strong players here and it’s not always true that the one with the most touches during a game is the most important. In any case, I am happy to take my share of the responsibility.

“I have no problem changing position on the field, as I’ve always happily adapted both at club and international level. We’re used to playing in various systems, so Coach Prandelli will decide.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Pirlo: Italy are like Juventus

The experienced midfielder feels that the national side are similar to the Serie A champions,

and is confident the Azzurri can make the semi-finals in Poland and Ukraine.

172727hp2.jpg

May 27, 2012

Andrea Pirlo believes that Italy are similar to Juventus and insisted that the Azzurri have the quality to challenge for top honours at Euro 2012.

The Bianconeri surprised everyone by winning the Serie A title in 2011-12, and Pirlo feels that the national team can achieve similar success at this summer's European Championship.

"Italy are mentally very strong. This team is a lot like Juventus. We have everything it takes to go far at Euro 2012, and I'm confident that we can be successful," Pirlo stated at a press conference.

"We are not one of the favourites to win the competition, but our objective is to go all the way. I am convinced that Italy can make it to the semi-finals.

"We enjoy our football again, have plenty of quality and are hungry for success. Spain are the favourites, and Holland, Germany and France are great teams, too. We are Italy, though, and we want to reach at least the semi-finals."

Italy are paired with Croatia, Republic of Ireland and Spain at Euro 2012.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

The best deep-lying playmaker in the world -

Italy's key man Andrea Pirlo

With the start of Euro 2012 just over a week away, Goal.com International's

Italy expert Alex Mott profiles Juventus and Azzurri maestro Andrea Pirlo.

May 30, 2012

As the creative hub from which everything revolves, Andrea Pirlo is the key cog in Cesare Prandelli's Italian machine. Dubbed 'l'architetto' (the architect) by team-mates, his vision and range of passing make him arguably the best deep-lying playmaker in the world; and that's certainly something Italy will want to exploit in Poland and Ukraine. With a probable duo of Daniele De Rossi and Claudio Marchisio alongside him in the Azzurri midfield, Pirlo will have the freedom to pretty much do as he pleases, a trick he has perfected for Juventus this past season.

The Lombardy-born midfielder has enjoyed something of a renaissance in 2011-12, having left Milan for the Bianconeri last summer. Pirlo is now seen as the catalyst for the Old Lady's Scudetto triumph. His 37 appearances for the Turin giants yielded an astonishing 13 assists, the most in Serie A. And he also contributed three vital goals: at home to Roma and Catania, as well as away at Fiorentina back in March.

Parma boss Franco Colomba put it best when he said back in April: "Pirlo is Juve's extra man, he is the player who has allowed the others around him to grow. I think that has made the real difference this season." And that sentiment was most recently echoed by Italian sports journalists, as they named him Serie A's Player of the Season. Goal.com also bestowed upon him the same honour.

The 32-year-old is one of only four players - along with Gianluigi Buffon, Andrea Barzagli and De Rossi - to have been named in Prandelli's squad on Sunday having won the World Cup in Germany six years ago: a testament to his enduring class. That tournament experience will be crucial in and around the camp, as Italy aim to win their first European Championship in 44 years.

"I always believed I was number one and I believe I have demonstrated it again this season"

- Pirlo on his 2011-12 season

As well as the obvious high of winning the World Cup in Germany back in 2006, he will also want to make amends for the Azzurri's dreadful showing two years ago in South Africa. It was a tournament to forget for the entire squad, but especially Pirlo, as former boss Marcelo Lippi was unable to use him in the first two games due to injury, sending him on for just half an hour in their last group match against Slovakia.

Prandelli, like Juventus coach Antonio Conte, has made Pirlo the fulcrum of the side. A challenge that the man himself clearly feels he is up to: "I always believed I was number one and I believe I have demonstrated it again this season."

Italians call him a 'regista', in England he is called a 'quarterback', but whatever he is, no one in Europe can match Andrea Pirlo's calm mastery on a football pitch. He's both metronome and compass; shield and dagger. He is Italy's key man at Euro 2012.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Four Serie A names up for Golden Foot

Jun 4, 2012

Juventus duo Andrea Pirlo and Gianluigi Buffon and Milan’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Clarence Seedorf are all nominated for the annual Golden Foot award.

The Golden Foot, which has been running since 2003, is awarded to European-based footballers aged 29 or above, recognising their achievements both on and off the field of play.

The 2012 edition of the award sees Buffon and Pirlo as Italy’s representatives, and alongside Ibra and Seedorf as four Serie A-based men in contention against six other candidates.

Once a player wins the award, they cannot be nominated again. Ryan Giggs won the last edition of the award, which has otherwise been dominated by players based in Italy.

Past Serie A recipients include Francesco Totti, Ronaldinho, Alessandro Del Piero, Andriy Shevchenko, Pavel Nedved and Roberto Baggio.

2012 Golden Foot nominees: Gianluigi Buffon, Iker Casillas, Didier Drogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ricardo Kaka, Andrea Pirlo, Carles Puyol, Clarence Seedorf, Xavi Hernandez

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo skips Italy session

Jun 6, 2012

Andrea Pirlo and Andrea Barzagli skipped today’s training session as Italy prepare for Sunday’s Euro 2012 opener against Spain.

The Azzurri took to the field this afternoon in Krakow, but Pirlo did not change into his football boots.

When Cesare Prandelli called for the squad to begin their fitness work, the Juventus midfielder spoke briefly to the staff and then went back into the locker room.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo 'has bruised calf'

Jun 6, 2012

Andrea Pirlo has slight bruising on his calf, but is not thought to be at risk for Italy’s opening Euro 2012 game.

The Juventus midfielder did not take part in today’s training session in Krakow and it was later revealed by staff that he was suffering from a bruise to his right calf muscle.

However, it is only a light injury and the Azzurri are not worried about his fitness for Sunday’s Euro 2012 opener against Spain.

Meanwhile, Christian Maggio returned to training after his muscular problem, while Davide Astori joined the group.

The Cagliari defender was flown in to Poland as a stand-by in case Andrea Barzagli has to go home due to a calf strain.

A final decision on Barzagli will be made on Friday.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo returns to Italy training

Jun 7, 2012

Italy playmaker Andrea Pirlo was back in training on Thursday after he was rested as a precautionary measure yesterday.

The key Juventus player missed Wednesday’s sessions due to concern over a bruised right calf muscle.

The 33-year-old returned to action in Krakow this morning which will come as a boost to boss Cesare Prandelli ahead of the Spain game.

Cagliari defender Davide Astori was also included after he joined up with the rest of the squad in Poland this week.

Astori has been selected as cover for Andrea Barzagli should the Juventus man be ruled out of the competition with a calf strain. A decision on his inclusion will be made on Friday.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Pirlo fit to face Spain despite sitting out Italy training session

The veteran regista remained on the sidelines as the Azzurri are unwilling to jeopardise

his participation in the eagerly-awaited Group C clash with the defending champions.

June 7, 2012

Andrea Pirlo caused a stir by sitting out training on Wednesday, but any fears were quickly dashed as the Italy midfielder has been passed fit to face Spain in Gdansk on Sunday.

The Juventus playmaker appeared briefly just before the session in Krakow but returned to the dressing room without lacing up after a brief chat with the Azzurri's coaching staff.

Pirlo picked up a minor knock earlier this week that he has yet to fully recover from and it was decided that there was no sense in running the risk of aggravating the injury.

Meanwhile, Napoli wing-back Christian Maggio eased concerns over his participation in Italy's Euro 2012 opener against the defending champions by returning to training after his recent thigh problem.

Juventus defender Andrea Barzagli was again left kicking his heels on the sidelines as he prepares for the final medical exams on his calf strain which will determine whether he will be able to play any part in his country's campaign.

The Azzurri's hugely-anticipated Group C curtain raiser with Spain is scheduled to kick off at 18:00CET.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Xabi Alonso admires Pirlo

Jun 9, 2012

Xabi Alonso believes Italy are “combative and competitive” when under pressure, revealing Spain have studied Andrea Pirlo and their tactics carefully.

The two nations go head to head in the Group C opener on Sunday at 17.00 UK time.

“Scandals and injuries are just reasons for us to be even more concerned about facing Italy,” Xabi Alonso told La giornalaccio rosa dello Sport.

“All this chaos makes us even more alert, because we know what the Azzurri are like. We saw you in 2006 with a big scandal, Juventus sent to Serie B and Italy winning the World Cup.

“Italy are combative and competitive when dealing with difficulties. The problems they are going through do not remotely relax us.”

Cesare Prandelli is likely to switch to a 3-5-2 system after three consecutive friendly defeats without scoring a goal.

“We are studying hard. If you play with five at the back, five in the middle, four in a diamond or with the Christmas Tree formation, we are ready.

“That won’t make us change the way we play, though. It’s just about being intelligent and trying to anticipate the moves of our opponents. We pay attention, but are not obsessed by tactics,” continued Xabi Alonso.

“Pirlo is decisive and that is certainly not a surprise. This season he did a great thing, as it wasn’t easy to leave Milan after a spectacular career as leader and model player to join Juve and win the title with style.

“Pirlo has always put himself forward as a reference point for seeking ever more beautiful football. I always liked Pirlo, because he never wanted to be a protagonist off the field, so ended up being one for what he does on the pitch.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Jarni: Croatia must stop Pirlo to beat Italy

The former Vatreni international defender believes that the new-look Italians pose

a big attacking threat which can only be stemmed by closely marking their playmaker.

Jun 14, 2012

Former Croatia full-back Robert Jarni believes that Italy midfielder Andrea Pirlo is central to the Azzurri's new brand of attacking football under Cesare Prandelli.

Prandelli's men produced an impressive performance in their Group C opening match - a 1-1 draw against reigning champions Spain.

Croatia currently top the group after their 3-1 victory over Republic of Ireland, but Jarni believes Italy will present his compatriots with a much stiffer test when the two countries clash in the Stadion Miejski in Poznan on Thursday.

Talking to 24Sata, Jarni highlighted Juventus playmaker - and 2006 World Cup winner - Pirlo as the Azzurri's heartbeat and supply line.

"Prandelli has completely changed Italy, they score more goals now and are no longer considered defensive," he stated.

"Italy will probably play 3-5-2 and look to push forward but, due to our disciplined formation, they will not have as much space as they did against Spain.

"Regardless of the likes of Balotelli, Cassano and Di Natale in attack, the key to Italy's game is in their midfield. Marchisio is doing a phenomenal job and even more attention needs to be paid to Pirlo.

"We must not allow him too much time on the ball. We will play against a team who have been world champions, a team who cannot be compared with Ireland. But no matter what, I think we can beat Italy."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

Capello: Pirlo makes the difference for Italy

The former England boss is impressed with the Azzurri midfielder,

and sees the Juventus playmaker as the team's undisputed star.

Jun 14, 2012

Fabio Capello has taken the time to praise Italy midfielder Andrea Pirlo following his stellar performances against Spain and Croatia at Euro 2012.

The Juventus playmaker provided the assist for the opening goal in the Azzurri's 1-1 draw versus the titleholders last Sunday, and scored an exquisite free-kick in the stalemate with Croatia on Thursday.

"The player who has made the difference is Andrea Pirlo," Capello stated to Uefa.com.

"Pirlo makes the difference but I have to say that the real surprise has been the quality and the confidence with which the Italy midfielders have been playing."

"Largely Thiago Motta and Claudio Marchisio but more so Pirlo because he is the player who has a lot of the ball and every time he starts a move it's a move which will be dangerous for the opposition."

Capello also had words of praise for veteran attacker Antonio Di Natale, who netted Italy's opener against Spain.

"Di Natale played for 20 or 30 minutes against Spain but scored the goal and had a chance to score a second one. These are the type of players who, luckily for the coach, can be brought off the bench and are directly involved in the game. These are dangerous players."

Italy have two points from their first two games in Group C and will lock horns with the Republic of Ireland on Monday.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo rues wasted chances

Jun 14, 2012

Andrea Pirlo concedes Italy wasted the opportunities to defeat Croatia, as his majestic free kick was not enough.

“We could’ve finished off the game with another goal in the first half, then went too deep after the break and it’s a shame Croatia got that equaliser,” said the midfielder after a 1-1 draw.

“Today the team did well and we’ll see what to do on Monday. Goals are everything in football and hopefully we can start getting a few more of these chances in the net.”

“We want to grow and improve. We sat back a bit too much after the break, which was normal considering Croatia were pushing forward in search of an equaliser. We can do better.”

“It was a match we had to win, but there is no reason to get downhearted and we still have a chance of qualifying.”

If Spain beat Ireland this evening, then both La Roja and Croatia will go through if they draw 2-2 in the final match. It is an identical situation to the one that saw Italy eliminated in Euro 2004 by a 2-2 between Sweden and Denmark.

“Spain are a great side, so are Croatia, and I’m sure they’ll play fair.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo: 'England are predictable'

Jun 24, 2012

Andrea Pirlo believes England were “fortunate” to reach the quarter-finals and are “very predictable.”

The Italy and Juventus midfielder gave his views ahead of tonight’s Euro 2012 clash at the Olympic Stadium in Kiev.

“People talk about England playing the Italian way, but that's rubbish. Only Italy can play the Italian way. And we do not care for anyone who tries to impersonate us. It's like trying to play against Spain the Spanish way,” he told Sky Sports.

“Roy Hodgson knows Italian football, which is a small advantage, and he is very tactically astute. But I have seen some of England's games in this tournament. They have been more practical than impressive, and we are confident of beating them.

“They have weaknesses that we can exploit, particularly in the midfield. They are missing some key players and I think we will have the measure of them in that area.

“They also look very nervous at times in defence and, France aside, they have not had to play too many big nations.

“I think they were more adventurous under Fabio Capello and I would have been more concerned if he was still in charge.

“It is very odd to see an English side play counter-attacking football. Maybe they will adopt a different approach against us, but I doubt it because in some ways they are very predictable.

“They have been very fortunate in getting this far. Against France they were completely outplayed, then they struggled against Sweden and were extremely lucky to win against Ukraine.”

Pirlo was asked whether the England players will try to make the most of Mario Balotelli’s notorious temper by provoking him.

“Mario is very unpredictable but a very special talent. He's young and needs to mature but sometimes you have to treat players differently.

“He needs to be pampered a bit. He is fired up for this game and wants to do well with a worldwide audience watching.

“I just get slightly concerned that he is easily provoked and the English players will try and take advantage of this.

“He needs to stay calm and ignore any provocation because there would be dire consequences if he reacts to something and gets sent off and Italy lose the game.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130719 messaggi

logo.png

Pirlo: 'Why I chipped Hart'

pirlo-eng-pen490ai.jpg

Jun 24, 2012

Andrea Pirlo reveals why he decided an audacious chip in the penalty shoot-out against England. “It put pressure on them.”

The Italy midfielder scored with a sensational lob to beat Joe Hart in the 4-2 shoot-out victory.

“At the moment I saw the goalkeeper making strange movements, so I waited for him to move and hit it like that.

“It was easier for me to chip it at that stage. Maybe my effort put some pressure on England and in fact Ashley Young missed the next one after me.

“I didn’t fear an upset, as England barely created anything, just tried to defend the result and drag us to penalties. We stayed in control and in the end won out.

“We knew that we could control the match, as England are a very defensive team and we saw that from the way they played throughout the group phase. It’s just a shame we took this long to beat them and used up a lot of energy.

“We dominated the encounter and it’s a pity we didn’t take our chances during the 90 minutes or extra time. At least the penalties sent the right team through.

“Mario Balotelli worked hard and helped his teammates. He made a few mistakes when finishing, but he has the quality and will improve.”

Italy now face Germany in the Euro 2012 semi-final on Thursday evening.

“Of course we were thinking about Germany, as we knew they would be our opponents if we qualified, but now we have to concentrate and recuperate in time for Thursday.

“Is anything possible? Of course, that’s why we’re here.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti