Vai al contenuto
Accedi per seguire   
Socrates

Mario Mandžukić

130732 messaggi

xlf6gm.gif

Defensive forwards a common trait among Europe's elite

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/tactics-and-analysis/67/post/2502372/defensive-forwards-a-common-trait-among-european-elite?

Jun 23, 2015

Ask an Arsenal supporter about their memories of the "Invincibles" season of 2003-04, and they'll probably mention Thierry Henry's goal return, Dennis Bergkamp's creative genius or Robert Pires' tricky wing play. But one of the most exhilarating parts of Arsenal's play was, somewhat surprisingly, when their star man conceded possession.

Henry's poor touches were few and far between, but when a misplaced pass went to an opponent rather than a teammate, the Frenchman made it his own personal mission to regain possession. Immediately -- usually in the first half at Highbury, when Arsenal were attacking the old Clock End -- he'd sprint to the relevant defender to quickly put in a tackle, and then do the same if the opposition managed to start a passing move in their right-back zone. He charged back and forth between defenders until the ball was Arsenal's once again. It was, in its own way, truly spectacular.

At the time, that felt somewhat unique. Since then, top-class forwards at other major, groundbreaking sides have followed suit and played crucial roles in trying to regain the ball. In fact, almost every innovative side in recent years has been notable for the work rate of their centre-forward.

Hard-working centre-forwards can broadly be separated into two categories, according to whether the centre-forward is playing in a proactive, pressing side attempting to regain the ball in advanced positions, or as part of a deeper defensive block that looks to soak up pressure before counter-attacking. Either way, it's no longer enough for teams to defend with two banks of four -- the forwards must play a significant part in the defensive phase of play, too.

Barcelona were the team which helped re-popularise the concept of pressing. In Pep Guardiola's 2008-09 side, the forwards were hardworking, but by 2010-11 they'd taken it to another level, especially with Lionel Messi as a permanent central forward. Samuel Eto'o in 2008-09 and Zlatan Ibrahimovic in 2009-10 weren't so keen to waste energy when the opposition had the ball.

Over in Dortmund, meanwhile, Jurgen Klopp's side were also enjoying great success with their heavy pressure. Lucas Barrios, whose part in their rise has been somewhat forgotten because of Robert Lewandowski's development, was crucial in setting an example to the rest of the side. Barrios was always on the move to shut down a defender, forcing his opponent onto his weak side, or denying a pass into the midfield zone.

Luis Suarez is another example. While he didn't win the Premier League title with Liverpool in 2013-14, the club came astonishingly close, largely because of the Uruguayan's effort. And "effort" is exactly the word, with Suarez displaying the same tenacity without the ball as when bundling his way past defenders. Liverpool, without the demands of European football that season, simply looked so much fresher than their major rivals, epitomised by the 5-1 victory over Arsenal when the tempo of the two sides was hugely contrasting. Suarez was always crucial, his energy and mobility almost as memorable as his long-range strikes.

Alternatively, however, forwards can play a crucial part in the defensive phase of play by doing the opposite: rather than sprinting up the pitch to pressure defenders, they drop deep and keep the side compact in a lower block. That way, the opposition defenders -- and sometimes holding midfielders -- have time on the ball, but playing a pass into the midfield zone becomes very difficult.

The classic example is the roles played by Diego Costa and David Villa during Atletico's La Liga-winning campaign of 2013-14. While both would prefer to be stationed in the opposition penalty box, they usually took up positions goal-side of the opposition's holding midfielders, meaning Atletico's midfielders had a smaller zone to cover.

The defensive transitions were excellent: As soon as Atletico lost the ball, one player would press the man in possession but everyone, including Costa and Villa, would drop back into position immediately. Costa had the explosive power to burst forward into attack too, but Villa lacked that acceleration by this point. He barely scored towards the end of the season, yet his place was assured because his discipline and work rate was consistently outstanding, and therefore he was playing his role perfectly.

The replacement for those two, Mario Mandzukic, was signed partly because he had shown he was capable of tremendous work rate, too, in the previous season's Champions League. His performance for Bayern Munich in a 2-0 win over Juventus was quite outstanding. He managed to blend the two different styles of centre-forward discipline: he pressed energetically when Juventus were trying to play out from the back, but then when they bypassed that press, he dropped back into his own half, meaning that if Juve played the ball back into defence, Bayern now had 10 men behind the ball.

Mandzukic lacked the explosive pace to make a slightly different approach work with Atletico -- his limitations hadn't been so obvious at Bayern, when Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery led the counter-attacking. It's interesting that Mandzukic has now signed for Juve, which experienced his stunning work rate in the aforementioned game two years ago, and then regularly took up a very Atletico-esque shape in this year's Champions League knockout stage, with Carlos Tevez and Alvaro Morata dropping back deep.

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Mandzukic: ‘Gotze can play in any team’

http://www.football-italia.net/69287/mandzukic-%E2%80%98gotze-can-play-any-team%E2%80%99?

Jul 16, 2015

Juventus target Mario Gotze ‘can play in any team’, according to Bianconeri striker Mario Mandzukic.

The Old Lady are on the verge of selling Arturo Vidal to Bayern Munich, with speculation some of the transfer fee could be used to tempt Gotze to Turin.

“I’ve played with him [at Bayern], he could play in any team,” Mandzukic said at his official presentation.

“He’s a player of great quality, and a good guy.

“As for [Andrea] Pirlo and [Carlos] Tevez [who have left], they’re great players, who any team would miss.

“But as some leave, others arrive. Juve are always thinking ahead, there are new recruits, fresh faces and I hope we can be as strong as last season.

“Juventus are used to winning, winning titles and achieving things, and I hope that I can give my contribution to that.”

The striker then revealed he will take David Trezeguet’s old squad number, but refused to predict how many goals he’ll score this season.

“I’m not going to promise a certain number of goals, I just promise to always make myself available for the team and do my best.

“As for my number, I’ve chosen 17, because of my beginnings in Croatia in the second division, and when I started with the professionals I kept 17.

“The number 17 is also what I wear for the national team, I had the opportunity to choose, so that’s what I did. I hope it will be lucky for me, as it always has been.”

Finally, Mandzukic discussed the team’s aims for next season, and believes the Old Lady can be a force in Europe again.

“Nobody expected that Juventus would get to the final [last season],” the striker said.

“It’s testament to the good work done by the team and the Coach [Max Allegri]. I saw the final, the teams were well-matched and had opportunities to win.

“Juventus were just a bit less lucky.

“Unfortunately in the final they didn’t make it, but often it’s a good thing for the next season if you start where you ended, wanting to win the coveted trophy.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Mandzukic: I didn't want to face Juventus any more!

The Croatian has admitted he is delighted by the fact that
he no longer has to deal with the Bianconeri's brilliant backline.

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4682/transfer-zone/2015/07/16/13645172/-?

Jul 16, 2015

Mario Mandzukic says he joined Juventus because he didn't want to have to play against the Serie A champions any more.
The former Atletico Madrid attacker faced the Bianconeri twice in the Champions League last term before agreeing to move to Turin this summer for a fee that is expected to rise to €19 million.

Mandzukic revealed at his official unveiling that Juve captain Gianluigi Buffon played a key role in his decision, but added that he was mainly fed up of having to deal with the Bianconeri's famed defence.

"Before coming here, I spoke with Buffon and I told him that he was my idol since I was a kid," the 29-year-old told reporters on Thursday.

"But Juventus are the best team in Serie A. They are used to winning and lifting trophies. I hope I am able to do my bit to help maintain this tradition.

"My reason for joining Juve was simple: they're a great team and it was an easy decision to make.

"It's always difficult to play against Juve. The games against have been the most difficult in my career.

"My decision was also borne of this: I no longer wanted to have to play against them!"

Juve have lost two men who played a key role in last season's run to the final of the Champions League, with Andrea Pirlo moving to MLS side New York City and Carlos Tevez returning to boyhood club Boca Juniors.

However, Mandzukic believes the duo will be adequately replaced by the Bianconeri, who have already brought in Simone Zaza, Paulo Dybala and Sami Khedira.

"Pirlo and Tevez are extraordinary players and any squad would miss them," the ex-Bayern Munich man added.

"But as some leave, others will arrive. Juve think always of the future. There are already new reinforcements. I wish and hope that we remain as strong as last season."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

6i70qd.jpg

Mario Mandzukic says it was an easy decision
to sign with Juventus this summer

http://www.blackwhitereadallover.com/2015/7/16/8976329/juventus-mario-mandzukic-introductory-press-conference-shirt-number

Jul 16, 2015

As we can easily figure out, Mario Mandzukic is not a direct replacement for Carlos Tévez simply because of what kind of strikers each of them are. However, there's no denying that the 29-year-old Mandzukic will be looked upon to be one of the main goal-scoring threats in a couple of months and the next few years going forward just in the same way Tévez was the past two seasons.

Juventus continued its week of introductory press conferences on Thursday afternoon. #DybalaDay has transitioned nicely into #KhediraDay, and now, amidst rumors of one of Juve's best signings in recent memory heading out the door, we got to enjoy #MandzukicDay. (I personally feel like Rubinho was robbed of one a few years ago, by the way.)

And, of course, there was yet another jersey number to reveal, with Mandzukic being the first summer signee going with a number a lot of people actually thought he would pick when he first signed with Juve a few weeks back. Ah, Mario, you've become predictable already!

JuventusFC ✔@juventusfcen
.@MarioMandzukic9 is all smiles at the start of his adventure in black and white.

A Juventus prima punta wearing the No. 17 once again. Excuse me while I have some feelings here, people. (And no, it's not because that jersey number was worn by Paulo De Ceglie, Eljero Elia and Armand Traore in recent years. Just stop thinking that right now.)

Yes, Mandzukic is the best player — by a considerable margin, too — to wear the No. 17 jersey since the days of David Trezeguet celebrating goals in the arms of Alessandro Del Piero. (FEELINGS!) There was no way he was going to get the No. 9 he wore last season in Spain due to a certain Álvaro Morata being around, so Mandzukic went went the next best thing — the same number he wears with the Croatia national team.

Mandzukic said his affinity for Juventus has grown over the years and that the decision to sign with the four-time defending Serie A champions. And, whether it was for a laugh on top of the seriousness, Mandzukic added that not having to play against Juventus also factored in his decision to trade in the red and white stripes of Atlético Madrid for those lovely black and white ones our beloved Old Lady features.

JuventusFC ✔@juventusfcen
.@MarioMandzukic9: "Juventus are used to winning and lifting trophies. I hope I'm able to do my bit to help maintain this tradition."

Amen, Mario. We're hoping that tradition continues, too.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

xlf6gm.gif

Mario Mandzukic targets Champions League
with Juventus 'idol' Buffon

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2526159/mario-mandzukic-eyes-juve-european-glory-with-idol-buffon?

Jul 17, 2015

Mario Mandzukic admits one of the greatest aspects about his move to Juventus is the opportunity to play alongside childhood hero Gianluigi Buffon, and is targeting Champions League success in Turin.

Mandzukic, 29, has beaten Buffon before, scoring in Bayern Munich's defeat of Juventus in the quarterfinals of the Champions League three seasons ago.

Now the Croatia international will only be facing the Italy goalkeeper in training after signing from Atletico Madrid for €19 million, but is relishing the prospect of being in the same side as the 37-year-old.

"He is my idol since when I was a kid," Mandzukic said at a news conference in Turin. "I've told him this many times when I spoke to him."

The former Wolfsburg and Bayern striker revealed that he followed the club for many years before being given the opportunity to join them this summer.

"Juventus are a fantastic club that I have long admired for their track record of winning titles, so this has been a straightforward decision," he told the club's official website. "The side boasts many excellent players and they are the best team in Italy."

Mandzukic is eyeing success in Europe after the Bianconeri reached last season's final, only to be beaten by Treble winners Barcelona.

"Nobody expected Juventus to reach the final and doing so was a demonstration of a job well done by the manager and players," Mandzukic added. "They were unfortunate to lose in the end, but it represents a good omen for this season, as we bid to regroup and finally lift the trophy.

"Juventus are an awkward side to play against. Previous matches count amongst the most difficult I have ever played. I am delighted now to be a part of this team and to not have to face them again."

Mandzukic will wear the No. 17 shirt for the Bianconeri -- the same worn by David Trezeguet.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

34e7ujn.jpg

Trezeguet: Mandzukic Will Be An
Important Player For Juventus

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/07/trezeguet-mandzukic-will-be-an-important-player-for-juventus/?

Jul 18, 2015

Former Juventus striker David Trezeguet has hailed Mario Mandzukic, insisting the new arrival will be an ‘important player’ for the club.

The 29-year-old Croatian international arrived from Atletico Madrid last month after just one season in La Liga, and will have a tough task of replacing former talisman Carlos Tevez.

“He’ll be an important player for us, one that we believe very much in,” Trezeguet, now an ambassador for the Bianconeri, told Sky Sport Italia.

“He really wants to do well here and become a protagonist for the squad.”

Trezeguet installed himself as a club legend due to his goal-scoring exploits for the Old Lady, scoring 171 goals in 318 appearances, during 2000-2011.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Mandzukic: 'Juve, forget Tevez!'

http://www.football-italia.net/70729/mandzukic-juve-forget-tevez?

Aug 8, 2015

Mario Mandzukic shrugs off the pressure of replacing Carlos Tevez and reveals how much he wanted to join Juventus.

He’s expected to start the Italian Super Cup against Lazio, which kicks off today at 13.00 UK time (12.00 GMT) in Shanghai.

“Do I feel pressure at replacing Tevez? Not at all,” the Croatia international told La giornalaccio rosa dello Sport.

“I am accustomed to it, as at Bayern Munich there was huge competition between strikers. I am Mandzukic and I believe in myself. Let me play, I am sure that I’ll have a great season.

“There has always been reciprocal respect with Juventus. We’d had contact for a while and I am not surprised at being here. I wanted this move.”

Mandzukic is still settling in to Italian football and teammate Stephan Lichtsteiner is helping him with the language barrier.

“Italian training is tough, but you have to work hard in order to be well prepared. You must win over physical and mental fatigue, then you’ll reap the benefits.

“I am used to worse than this, as I worked with Felix Magath at Wolfsburg. Ask Andrea Barzagli, he was there with me…

“I like Massimiliano Allegri, as he talks to the players and you can tell he’s an excellent Coach. I will achieve great things here.”

The Super Cup is Mandzukic’s first major test in a Bianconeri jersey, facing Lazio veteran Miroslav Klose.

“Klose is one of the greats, both on the field and off it. For years he has been one of the most fearsome strikers in Europe.

“I’m not that familiar with Italian teams, so I don’t know what to expect against Lazio. It will also depend on their preparations, the turf and the heat in China.

“The important thing is to win, something Juve do well. And I believe in Juve.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

34e7ujn.jpg

New Juventus Forward Delighted With Debut

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/08/new-juventus-forward-delighted-with-debut/?

Aug 8, 2015

Mario Mandzukic is delighted to have played his first game for new side Juventus.

The Croatian international scored the first goal in Juve’s 2-0 Supercoppa Italiana victory over Lazio in Shanghai and Mandzukic is confident ahead of the new season.

“I am really pleased to have made my debut for this great club,” Mandzukic told reporters after the game.

“The most important thing was that Juventus won.

“I believe in Juve and I am sure will we have a great season.

“I dont feel any pressure playing for Juventus.

“I have played at big clubs before like Bayern so I am used to it.

“I have always respected and admired Juventus.

“From time to time there was contact between us but never a deal.

“I always wanted to play for the club and I am delighted to be part of the team.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

6i70qd.jpg

Projecting Mario Mandzukic's 2015-16 season

http://www.blackwhitereadallover.com/2015/8/13/9128387/mario-mandzukic-juventus-2015-16-projections-serie-a

Aug 13, 2015

For the second straight summer, Mario Mandzukic has found himself in a new league, getting to know a new city, a new country and brand new teammates. Twelve months ago, it was Atlético Madrid and Spain, now it's Juventus and Italy. Change is inevitable, but not necessarily three teams in three seasons kind of change for a striker of Mandzukic's quality.

Mandzukic arrives at Juventus after many consider his 12-month stay in Spain not exactly the most extraordinary of times. But don't tell Max Allegri about that slow season in Madrid, with Juventus' second-year manager heaping praise upon Mandzukic after the Old Lady's 2-0 win over Lazio in the Italian Super Cup last weekend.

"I think Mandzukic is a great player, otherwise I wouldn't have given my approval to bring him in. Apart from his character, I think that his movement going forward is excellent. Apart from his goal, I think he also showed some good individual skill for our second goal. It's normal that he still needs to get to know his teammates, but I would say that I'm very happy about his performance — especially because he missed a great chance and then recovered immediately to score the opener."

That quote from Mister Allegri is a legit one. I know that because I personally transcribed it straight from a video on the internet. You can all thank me for doing such a task later if you want to.

What that quote tells us is pretty simple: Allegri isn't letting Mandzukic's "down" season really skew his view of the 29-year-old Croatian striker. Instead, Allegri — and Juventus' management as a whole for that matter — are banking on Mandzukic's goal-scoring numbers getting back to what he did in the Bundesliga, not La Liga.

So, that's an average of in just over 13 goals in about 28 league games over the last five seasons. Are they the kind of numbers like Carlos Tévez put up over the last two years that will smack you in the face because they're so impressive? No. However, even in a down season, Mandzukic pretty much kept his goal-every-other-game ways going. And if he stays relatively healthy this season while maintaining those numbers,

But, you see, he's already ahead of that pace. One official Juventus game played, one goal. No pressure, Mario!

Okay, so I'll get back to the point.

Unlike another summer signing named Paulo Dybala, we know what Mandzukic's role will be. He is the prima punta, and he is there to score goals just like he did in the Supercoppa. At 6-foot-2, he will look to be on the end of crosses the same way Fernando Llorente was during his first season with Juve. Just look at his goal in the Supercoppa as Exhibit A — rising between two defenders to put away a quality cross into the box. As for Exhibit B, this is what Mandzukic did during his time in Germany with Bayern.

It's natural to think that Allegri and Juventus' front office are banking on Mandzukic looking more like the player that was with Bayern rather than the one from a year ago with Atlético Madrid. And it's natural to compare Mandzukic to another fantastic Juventus prima punta because of the jersey number he will be wearing this season. But while he may not be the world-class poacher that David Trezeguet was during his own fantastic playing career, it's not all that far fetched to think that Mandzukic can lead the line while being productive on a regular basis.

Mandzukic was probably one of the best realistic options Juventus could have gotten this summer. And while he may not be a direct replacement for Carlos Tevez in terms of the kind of striker he is, we shouldn't expect him to be that, either. They're alike in some ways, but in totality, they're different strikers. And while they will only be naturally compared to one another because that's how life is, Mandzukic is part of this Juventus team, not that Juventus team.

So if Max has plenty of faith in Mandzukic, who am I to disagree with the guy who helped Juventus win the domestic double last season?

MARIO MANDZUKIC 2015-16 PROJECTION (SERIE A ONLY)

Games: 33

Starts: 28

Goals: 17

Assists: 4

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

Why 20 Goals Is a Realistic Aim
for Juventus' Mario Mandzukic in 2015/16

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2543568-why-20-goals-is-a-realistic-aim-for-juventus-mario-mandzukic-in-201516?

Aug 14, 2015

While there is little doubt Juventus will miss the creativity, drive and consummate quality that Andrea Pirlo and Arturo Vidal brought to their midfield over the past four years, the biggest loss for Massimiliano Allegri’s team this summer could well be that of Carlos Tevez.

Opting to return home to Boca Juniors, the Argentinian striker leaves a gaping hole in the Bianconeri attack, having led the club in terms of goals scored for each of his two campaigns in Turin. Rather than replace him with a single player, the reigning Italian champions hope to do so by committee, bringing in a trio of new attacking players they will hope can make up for Tevez’s absence.

Simone Zaza has impressed with Sassuolo but has everything to prove at the highest level, while Paulo Dybala will be aiming to show his breakout campaign last term—in which he recorded 13 goals and 10 assists—was no fluke.

In stark contrast to the promise of that duo, Mario Mandzukic arrives at Juventus very much a proven commodity on the European stage. The Croatian star needs little introduction, having played for both Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid in recent years, impressing for both clubs before arriving in Italy.

According to their official website, the Bianconeri paid a fee of €19 million to the Spanish side for Mandzukic, with a potential €2 million in bonuses to be added on if certain performance-related targets are met.

Juventus will hope for a solid return on their investment, and the player’s track record certainly bodes well in that regard. He has displayed remarkable consistency since swapping Wolfsburg for Bayern Munich in the summer of 2012, reaching the benchmark of 20 goals in each of the three subsequent campaigns.

Mandzukic's debut season at the Allianz Arena saw him bag 22 goals in 40 appearances, following that up with 26 goals in 48 games in 2013/14. From there he made the switch to Atleti, netting 20 in 43 matches in all competitions as part of Diego Simeone’s squad, only to move on again 12 months later and join La Madama.

The player himself was happy to explain the reasons for heading to the peninsula, telling reporters at his inaugural press conference that it was simple choice to make. “Juventus is a fantastic club that I have long admired for their track record of winning titles, so this has been a straightforward decision,” Mandzukic said, per the club’s official website. “The side boasts many excellent players and they are the best team in Italy.”

They will need the 29-year-old to regularly find the back of the net in order to maintain that position, and he made a fine start by netting in their 2-0 Italian Super Cup win over Lazio last weekend.

He is also unfazed by the thought of making up for the departure of the man he and the other new signings are attempting to fill in for. “Do I feel pressure at replacing Tevez? Not at all,” Mandzukic told La giornalaccio rosa dello Sport recently (h/t Football Italia). “I am accustomed to it, as at Bayern Munich there was huge competition between strikers.”

“I am Mandzukic and I believe in myself,” he continued. “Let me play, I am sure that I’ll have a great season.” That confidence—alongside his impressive early form for the Bianconeri—bodes well for the forthcoming campaign, and he should certainly be aiming to break the 20 barrier once again.

Achieving that for a fourth-straight season would be an impressive accomplishment, and it would likely go a long way toward helping Juventus seal a record-equalling fifth consecutive Serie A title.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

34e7ujn.jpg

Juventus Striker Could Miss Serie A Opener

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/08/juventus-striker-could-miss-serie-a-opener/?

Aug 20, 2015

Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic could miss the Bianconeri’s opening Serie A game of the season with a knee injury.

The Croatian has been brought to Turin to help replace the goals lost through the departure of Carlos Tevez who has returned to Argentina with Boca Juniors.

According to Tuttosport, Mandzukic will have his knee assessed to determine the seriousness of it and whether he can play against Udinese on Sunday.

If the 29 year-old is unable to feature this weekend against the Zebrette, it’s thought coach Massimiliano Allegri will play Paulo Dybala alongside Spanish forward Fernando Llorente.

Mandzukic moved to Bianconeri from La Liga side Atletico Madrid, despite only joining the Rojiblancos last summer.

The former Bayern Munich man scored 12 goals in 28 La Liga appearances for Atleti last season.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

6i70qd.jpg

Mario Mandzukic ruled out three
weeks with thigh injury

http://www.blackwhitereadallover.com/2015/9/21/9364819/juventus-mario-mandzukic-alvaro-morata-injury-update-serie-a-2015

Sep 21, 2015

It wouldn't be the day after a Juventus game without some kind of injury news being told to all of us. That's the state of the players' injury troubles. One player returns, another one heads back to the training room to begin a rehabilitation program. Rinse and repeat. (Insert "Injuries are stupid" thoughts here.)

The latest injury-hit Juventus player is stirker Mario Mandzukic, who came off injured late in Sunday's 2-0 win over Genoa. The final verdict after medical examinations is that the big Croatian will miss the next three weeks — games against Frosinone, Napoli, Sevilla and Bologna — with a thigh injury. Here's what Juventus' official website had to say about the matter:

Missing out on training today were strike duo Mario Mandzukic and Alvaro Morata, who were both subjected to medical examinations after reporting injuries during the win over Genoa.

The Croatian forward's tests revealed a first-grade tear of the bicep femoris muscle in his right thigh, which will require a recovery period of 20 days.

Morata's medical checks ruled out any serious muscle damage in the abdominal region and his condition will continue to be monitored over the coming days.

Yeah, injuries suck. And writing about them all the time makes them even worse.

But I guess the good part in all of this is that there is some good injury news to report, and that involves the status of Morata, who had to come out of the win over Genoa in the first half with a groin injury.

The obvious beneficiary of this new Mandzukic injury will be Paulo Dybala, who has started only one of Juve's six games in all competitions this season. And if Morata is truly ready to go come Wednesday against Frosinone, maybe, just maybe, we'll get to see the Morata-Dybala partnership in whichever formation Max Allegri decides to go with the next couple of weeks. (Your guess is as good as mine at this point.) The same can be said for Simone Zaza, who made his first official appearance in a Juventus jersey against Genoa when he came on for Mandzukic in the 82nd minute.

Be well, Mario. And, please, let that "monitored over the coming days" portion of Morata's injury situation prove to be nothing at all. I think we've had our fill of injury news for the month, thank you very much.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Croatia send Mandzukic home

http://www.football-italia.net/74032/croatia-send-mandzukic-home?

Oct 7, 2015

Croatia have sent Mario Mandzukic home from international duty to train with Juventus.

The striker had surprisingly been called up by his country despite a muscular tear.

Following further tests with the Croatian medical staff, he has been sent back to Turin.

Mandzukic will continue rehabilitation with the Bianconeri doctors.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

xlf6gm.gif

Croatia's Mario Mandzukic sidelined by hamstring injury

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/croatia/story/2653797/croatias-mario-mandzukic-sidelined-by-hamstring-injury?

Oct 8, 2015

A hamstring injury will prevent striker Mario Mandzukic from playing in Croatia's Euro 2016 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Malta.

Croatia host Bulgaria on Saturday and then travel to Malta for their final Group H match on Tuesday, but they will have to do so without their first-choice striker.

"Unfortunately, Mandzukic cannot play due to a hamstring injury," Croatia national team doctor Boris Nemec told the Croatian federation's website.

"He has been examined on Wednesday and concluded that he will not feature in these matches."

The 29-year-old will now return to Juventus to continue his rehabilitation.

"He will be back to full training in two weeks, without risking injury recurrence," Nemec said. "Of course, he was not happy with these news, bit his health comes first."

Croatia are third in Group H with 14 points from eight matches, four points behind leaders Italy and two behind Norway, but in position to advance to the playoffs for the last four spots at next summer's 24-team tournament.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Mandzukic in Croatia squad

http://www.football-italia.net/74874/mandzukic-croatia-squad?

Oct 26, 2015

Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic is among six Serie A players in Ante Cacic’s latest Croatia squad.

The Balkan side have a friendly with Russia on November 17, and the Bianconeri man is included after recovering from injury.

Sime Vrsaljko of Sassuolo has also made the cut, alongside Fiorentina pair Milan Badelj and Nikola Kalinic.

Inter also have two representatives in the squad, with Ivan Perisic and Marcelo Brozovic selected, but ex-Nerazzurri man Mateo Kovacic is absent with a muscular injury.

Croatia squad: Subasic [Monaco], Kalinic [Hajduk Split], Vargic [Rijeka], Srna [shakhtar Donetsk], Corluka [Lokomotiv Moscow], Pranjic [Panathinaikos], Vida [Dynamo Kiev], Vrsaljko [sassuolo], Pivaric [Dinamo Zagreb], Leskovic [Rijeka], Milovic [Hajduk Split], Rakitic [barcelona], Perisic [inter], Badelj [Fiorentina], Brozovic [inter], Antolic [Dinamo Zagreb], Olic [Hamburg], Mandzukic [Juventus], Kalinic [Fiorentina], Kramaric [Leicester City].

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

Why Mario Mandzukic Is the Juventus Player
with Most to Prove After Break

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2587518-why-mario-mandzukic-is-the-juventus-player-with-most-to-prove-after-break?

Nov 11, 2015

The reasons behind Juve’s poor start to the 2015/16 campaign are plentiful, with the Bianconeri already having lost three times in Serie A, the same number of defeats recorded in the whole of last season.

The defence continues to be foremost among the concerns facing Massimiliano Allegri, but the coach also faces a number of issues further forward. Major questions have been asked over his use of Paulo Dybala, but given he has netted five goals in just 700 minutes of action, those doubts appear misplaced.

Indeed, when looking for a Juventus player with most to prove when club football resumes later this month, Mario Mandzukic would seem to be the perfect candidate. Arriving from Atletico Madrid this past summer, according to the club’s official website the Croatian striker cost €19 million and signed a four-year contract.

Mandzukic netted against Manchester City in the Champions League and past Lazio in the Supercoppa Italiana, but he has yet to prove value for money after scoring just two goals in nine Serie A appearances to date.

Looking largely out of sorts, the 29-year-old struck in encounters with Atalanta and Empoli, but offered very little to the side in clashes against more difficult opponents such as Inter or AS Roma, turning in a particularly woeful display against the latter.

In a 62-minute outing in the Italian capital, Mandzukic touched the ball on just 12 occasions, according to statistics courtesy of WhoScored.com. He completed an abject five of 10 pass attempts and failed to record a single shot on goal.

He fared little better in the recent loss away to Sassuolo, with the same source showing he managed a meagre 18 touches, taking only one shot as the Bianconeri chased the game. That is simply unacceptable for a player of his calibre, and the former Bayern Munich man must bring more in a Juventus shirt.

Even as he played a more prominent role against Empoli, the quality expected of Mandzukic failed to materialise. Despite WhoScored showing he managed a substantially higher number of touches (41), the tweet below highlights just how poor his performance at the Stadio Carlo Castellani was.

Adam Digby @Adz77
Mario Mandžukić vs Empoli: 1 goal, 5 shots, 1 on target, lost 4/6 aerial duels, committed 5 fouls (via @StatsZone)

He took five shots, with his scuffed effort that resulted in the equalising goal being his only effort on target, lost all but two of the six aerial duels he contested and committed five fouls over the course of the entire game.

Things get little better when looking at his season overall, with the graphic below—courtesy of Squawka.com—showing Mandzukic has hit the target with just 31 percent of his shot attempts in 2015/16.

That is a marked downturn from previous campaigns, with the same source showing that figure was 51 percent last term with Atleti and 69 percent with Bayern a year earlier. Mandzukic netted 26 then 20 times in those respective seasons, and he will need a dramatic improvement if he is to reach that figure this time round.

Yet Allegri insists he is demanding more of the Croatian than simply getting on the scoresheet, as he told a press conference last week. “I’m asking a lot of Mario,” the Juve boss said. “He’s already shown what he’s capable of at the start of the season, now he simply needs to get back to doing what he knows best.”

But even seeing Mandzukic as a hardworking player who presses the opposition would appear to fall somewhat short of the mark. According to figures from WhoScored.com, his averages of 0.8 tackles and 0.1 interceptions are way below his previous defensive output, meaning he is contributing far less than his team needs.

When club football resumes, Juventus face difficult matches against Milan and Manchester City, and they will certainly need the real Mario Mandzukic on show at least once if they are to seal two victories.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

6i70qd.jpg

Mario Mandzukic is hitting his stride as a Juventus player

Mario Mandzukic's Juventus career didn't start very well at all.
But guess who's scoring goals in bunches these days?

http://www.blackwhitereadallover.com/2015/12/25/10644562/mario-mandzukic-juventus-2015-serie-a-champions-league-goals

Dec 25, 2015

With no Juventus games to occupy our minds for the next few weeks, there's free time to do other things. Like, I dunno, sitting around and going through our photo tool here on SBN and see nothing but pictures of Mario Mandzukic being utterly frustrated during his first couple of months as a Juventus player. It was easy to see why his reactions were that way, too. Goals weren't coming his way at all, and he instead had to deal with the fact that he wasn't doing what Juventus brought him to Turin to do.

It was an incredibly tough start to Mandzukic's Juve career, no doubt. He scored in the Supercoppa against Lazio in August, then didn't find the back of the net against another Italian opponent for another two and a half months. That's not how we drew it up. That's not how Mandzukic wanted to make a first impression, surely. And considering he had a relatively inconsistent season with Atlético Madrid the year before, starting his Juve career the way he did was nowhere near the kind of first impression anybody wanted him to make.

But let's just go ahead and see what Mandzukic has done since scoring Juve's second goal in a 2-0 win over Atalanta on Oct. 25.

Nine appearances in all competitions, six goals scored, one assist

So, after two goals in his first eight Juventus appearances, now Mandzukic is on the brink of cracking the top 10 when it comes to Serie A's top scorers and has been a major factor in Juve's success over the last two months. With a seven-game domestic winning heading into the new year, Juventus has plenty of newfound momentum after the struggles from September and October. Luckily for us, the same can be said about Mandzukic's form.

That means his numbers for the season now look like this:

Eighteen appearances in all competitions, nine goals scored, one assist

That's one goal scored for every 134 minutes played. Is that the kind of production that you would consider at an elite level? Nah, but it's still pretty good — especially knowing how he didn't score a goal in league play until the final part of October. But those days are long gone even if they might not be so far away. Instead, Mandzukic is now finding form and scoring goals like he did to complete his first-half brace against Carpi this past Sunday afternoon.

This is the footballing equivalent to a posterizing dunk in basketball. Mandzukic doesn't just out-jump the man marking him, he absolutely blows right through him on his way to making contact with the ball. You want an example of how to go up for a cross in the box, just go ahead and watch that over and over again.

And that's the beauty of Mandzukic when things are going right.

He had plenty of chances in the box earlier in the season, but couldn't finish them to save his life. He's had bad misses just like any other striker does. But not every striker arrives on a big-money transfer a month or two earlier and has to try and be part of the crew that is trying to replace one of Juve's most productive strikers of recent memory. While it's true that Mandzukic was never going to be a direct replacement for Carlos Tévez because they are different kinds of strikers, he's bringing his own unique kind of characteristics and playing style to the table. He's pressing like Tévez, and now he's finding the back of the net and rising up the scoring table, too.

Regardless of his goal-scoring form, the first part of Mandzukic's game was always going to be there. But that second part, he's starting to do that on a much more regular basis now. And the results speak for themselves. Juventus has gotten better as the season has gone on, and the same can be said for Mario Mandzukic. That, my friends, is no coincidence. One works with the other. It's a beautiful thing.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Mandzukic: 'My secret injury'

http://www.football-italia.net/77796/mandzukic-my-secret-injury?

Jan 3, 2016

Mario Mandzukic reveals he almost joined Juventus in 2012 and the secret infection that caused his early season problems.

The Croatia international spoke to Sportske Novosti about his first six months in Turin.

“It was a perfect start with victory in the Italian Super Cup and my goal against Lazio, but two defeats and a draw in the first three Serie A rounds sparked immediate pressure. All this negativity was poured on to the team and on me.

“From the opening game against Udinese I got injured and an infection debilitated me for a long time. I was distraught, as it had never happened in my career, but I didn’t say anything publicly because I did not want it to turn into an alibi.

“My body was really weak and the pain continued for around two months, then I got another injury to the tendon and had to sit on the sidelines.”

Mandzukic found his form eventually and has now won over the Bianconeri supporters, but he reveals it could’ve all been very different.

“I had already been in some pretty big talks with Juventus in 2012, then Bayern Munich arrived, but it was my destiny to end up here sooner or later.

“I’ve always had a lot of respect for the old guard, as Gigi Buffon was my childhood idol, while I already knew Andrea Barzagli from Wolfsburg and had some really tough battles on the field with Giorgio Chiellini. Knowing so much about the squad, it was even easier for me to accept the Bianconeri offer.

“Max Allegri supported me during the most difficult moment and that means a lot to me. Juventus are an institution in Italy and wherever we play there are thousands of fans.

“What really struck me was the club’s reaction during our negative period. With their presence at the training sessions, always discreet and without a sense of panic or confusion, they made it clear how serious the situation was. They invited us to get back to the level Juventus belong at.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

'I was desperate, I couldn't see a way out' -
Mandzukic reflects on 'terrible' Juventus start

The Croatia international struggled during his first few months in Italy
but says Massimiliano Allegri helped him get out of it by believing in him.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/723/serie-a/2016/01/03/18947322/-?

Jan 3, 2016

Mario Mandzukic has admitted that he felt "terrible" and "desperate" during his poor start to life at Juventus, insisting he had never before gone through such a bad spell in his career.

The Croat failed to score in any of his first five league games for Juve this season, though his start was disrupted by a muscle injury which kept him out for a month.

While the attacker improved towards the end of 2015, scoring six goals in as many Serie A matches, he says the impact of his underwhelming start had a massive impact on him mentally.

"I was playing bad and I got injured, and the infection struck me for a long time and I was weakened," he told Sportske Novosti.

"Sometimes I was awake all night thinking about what was going on, I was desperate because I could not see the way out, something that had never happened to me before in my career.

"I was not looking for excuses. I got an infection that affected me against Udinese in the first week of the season. I had to take antibiotics and the pain stuck with me for two months.

"I felt weak, not strong, then I got an injury against Genoa. It was a terrible time.

"Massimiliano Allegri coach helped me, had confidence in me and he insisted on me joining Juve - a very important factor in the decision for every player. It means a lot to me."

The striker joined the Bianconeri from Atletico Madrid in the close season and admits he has been impressed by the stature of the club, while he could not wait to link up with Gianluigi Buffon and Giorgio Chiellini.

"This club is an institution. I was fascinated by the reaction of the club and the team leaders in the training - with their discreet presence, no fuss, they just asked for the maximum commitment and the need to return to the levels that Juve want to reach.

"I had been in contact with Juventus before going to Bayern. I had great respect for the players before I arrived here.

"Buffon was my idol as a child, I had good battles with Chiellini and we always shook hands after matches between real men. No tears.

"I knew Juventus and this prompted me to accept the offer."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

xlf6gm.gif

Roma's Daniele De Rossi sorry for
insulting Juventus' Mario Mandzukic

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/italian-serie-a/story/2794929/roma-star-daniele-de-rossi-sorry-for-mario-mandzukic-insult

Jan 27, 2016

Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi has apologised to Juventus' Mario Mandzukic for insulting him during the two clubs' Serie A clash on Sunday.

De Rossi was seen telling the Croatia striker to "shut it, you gypsy s---," towards the end of the 1-0 win for the Bianconeri.

The 32-year-old Azzurri international is unlikely to face any punishment, although he still felt the need to apologise on Tuesday.

"Well, you all saw it -- I got caught on camera while I said something which, well, I really shouldn't have said," De Rossi told Mediaset television. "It's not the first time something like that is said out on the field, and far worse things have been said in football, but saying that does not justify it.

"We should either not say it at all or, as the coach said, cover our mouths. I'm sorry. I'm sorry to whoever felt offended by what I said."

According to former Italy coach Marcello Lippi, De Rossi should not be castigated for using such a term in the heat of a key Serie A clash.

"When you are tense and the nerves are on show, some things just slip out that you would never say with a fresh mind," he told RAI radio. "Even I, when I was playing, told plenty of opponents where they could go, I don't know how many times. I maybe even used more vulgar terminology."

AC Milan coach Sinisa Mihajlovic, meanwhile, said he has often been on the receiving end of that very same insult, but added it was part of the game.

"What do you want to do, close all the stadiums?" he told RAI after his side's 1-0 win over Alessandria in the Coppa Italia on Tuesday night. "You could not even imagine how many times I've been called a gypsy s---."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Asamoah and Mandzukic injured

http://www.football-italia.net/79054/asamoah-and-mandzukic-injured?

Jan 28, 2016

Juventus pair Mario Mandzukic and Kwadwo Asamoah missed training today with muscular injuries.

Both players featured in last night’s Coppa Italia win over Inter, but look likely to miss the trip to Chievo on Sunday.

“Kwadwo Asamoah and Mario Mandzukic were both absent from this morning’s workout after they reported muscular discomfort during yesterday’s win over the Nerazzurri,” a statement on the Bianconeri’s official website revealed.

“The Ghanaian

and Croatian

will undergo medical checks tomorrow to assess the full extent of their issues.”

Asamoah has made just two Serie A starts this season, as he’s battled a number of fitness concerns and Mandzukic missed three weeks earlier in the campaign with a thigh injury.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Mandzukic doubt for Bayern

http://www.football-italia.net/79101/mandzukic-doubt-bayern?

Jan 29, 2016

Juventus could be without Mario Mandzukic against Bayern Munich, as he's out for four weeks.

The striker and Kwadwo Asamoah missed training yesterday after both complained of muscular discomfort following the Coppa Italia win over Inter.

“Kwadwo Asamoah and Mario Mandzukic both underwent medical checks today after reporting injuries during Wednesday’s Coppa Italia triumph over Inter at Juventus Stadium,” a statement on the Bianconeri’s website read.

“The Ghanaian midfielder has suffered a torn biceps femoris in his right thigh and is expected to be sidelined for two to three weeks.

“Tests on Mandzukic meanwhile revealed a torn gemellus muscle, with the Croatian forward’s rehabilitation process estimated to last four weeks.”

The first leg of the Champions League Last 16 tie with Bayern Munich is on February 23, meaning Mandzukic faces a battle to be fit in time.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

2ecg1uu.jpg

OFFICIAL: MANDZUKIC OUT FOR AT LEAST 4 WEEKS

http://www.juvefc.com/official-mandzukic-out-for-at-least-4-weeks/?

Jan 29, 2016

Juventus have confirmed that Mario Mandzukic and Kwadwo Asamoah will both be out through injury.

An official statement on the clubs website confirmed that both players had picked up injuries during Juve’s 3-0 rout of Inter Milan in Wednesdays Coppa Italia match.

The full statement reads:

Kwadwo Asamoah and Mario Mandzukic both underwent medical checks today after reporting injuries during Wednesday’s Coppa Italia triumph over Inter at Juventus Stadium.

The Ghanaian midfielder has suffered a torn biceps femoris in his right thigh and is expected to be sidelined for two to three weeks.

Tests on Mandzukic meanwhile revealed a torn gemellus muscle, with the Croatian forward’s rehabilitation process estimated to last a month.

Both players will miss games against Chievo, Genoa, Frosinone, Napoli, Bologna while Mandzukic will likely miss the first leg of Juve’s Champions League match against Bayern Munich and possibly the league game against Inter Milan.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

xlf6gm.gif

Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic in The Joker disguise

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/2808716/juventus-striker-in-the-joker-disguise

Feb 16, 2016

With his current side set to take on his former employers Bayern Munich in the Champions League next week, Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic has set his sights on ending the Bavarian's tilt at winning the treble in Pep Guardiola's farewell season.

The Croatian target man is currently out of action with a calf strain but is obviously hatching a plan to make his grand return just in time to help Juve see off the team (and coach) that so hastily disposed of him two summers ago.

Indeed, it's a ploy so devious that Mandzukic appears to have even adopted an evil alter-ego to carry it out.

Question is, does he really look like a man with a plan, or just a dog chasing cars?

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130732 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Mandzukic to Bayern or Spurs? :|

http://www.football-italia.net/80479/mandzukic-bayern-or-spurs?

Feb 27, 2016

Italian sources claim Tottenham and Bayern Munich want to snap up Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic.

The giant Croatian international has scored nine goals this season in 23 competitive games, also providing three assists.

According to Calciomercato.com, the Bianconeri are fielding two proposals to sell Mandzukic over the summer, just one year after his arrival from Atletico Madrid.

The club spent €19m on his signature, but could well make a profit if they part with him at the end of the season.

There is believed to be interest from Bayern Munich, as Carlo Ancelotti sees him as the ideal replacement for Real Madrid-bound Robert Lewandowski.

It would be a return to the Allianz Arena for Mandzukic, who already played there from 2012 to 2014.

Tottenham are another potential option for the centre-forward, who has already succeeded in Croatia, Germany, Spain and Italy.

He’d be interested in trying himself out in the Premier League as soon as possible, because he turns 30 in May.

It’s reported Juventus are prepared to sell Mandzukic for €25m (£19.7m), which would make a profit.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti