27th Matchday

Saturday, march 3rd 2018 - 6:00 p.m. CET 

5.00 p.m. UK time - 4.00 p.m. GMT
Olimpico Stadium, Rome
Referee: Luca Banti

Lazio 0 Juventus 1: Dybala strikes

late to keep pressure on Napoli

Juventus left it late to extend their winning streak in Serie A

as Paulo Dybala downed Lazio with a stoppage time winner.

DXYrscdW4AA8gRn.jpg

http://www.goal.com/en/match/lazio-v-juventus/bw7jond720p1fcccaji9mmlwq

Mar 3, 2018

Paulo Dybala scored in injury time as Juventus extended their winning run in Serie A to 10 matches with a dramatic 1-0 triumph over Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico.

On his return from injury, Dybala shrugged off the attentions of Marco Parolo to tuck home in stoppage time and make sure the Bianconeri remain right on the coattails of Napoli in a two-horse race for the title.

The much-anticipated battle between third and second in the table seemed set to end in stalemate, with both teams cancelling each other out in a disappointing game devoid of clear-cut opportunities.

Juve had a first-half goal correctly ruled out for a foul - sparing Jordan Lukaku the embarrassment of scoring in his own net - as they seemed set to draw a blank ahead of Wednesday's Champions League tie with Tottenham.

Both sides faded in the second half, hardly a surprise after playing in the Coppa Italia in midweek, as they appeared to settle for a point apiece.

However, Dybala converted Daniele Rugani's pass to secure three valuable points and make sure Juventus will head to Wembley on a winning note.

View image on Twitter

90+3' GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! PAULOOOOOO!!!!!!!#LAZIOJUVE 0-1!!!!! #FORZAJUVE!!!!

The last-gasp strike settled a heavyweight clash that had seen the competitors struggle to land a meaningful blow.

The two teams went toe-to-toe after contrasting results in the cup in midweek. While Juventus reached a fourth successive final thanks to a 1-0 victory over Atalanta in the second leg of their semi-final, Lazio lost out to AC Milan in a penalty shoot-out.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic – one of those who missed from the spot in midweek – had a firm header saved by Gianluigi Buffon in the first half, with the veteran goalkeeper also required to tip a low drive from Ciro Immobile around his right post before the break.

Juventus thought they'd gone ahead when Lukaku nodded Dybala's corner into his own goal just before the half-hour mark, only for referee Luca Banti to correctly spot a push by Mario Mandzukic on the defender.

The official had decided against whistling for a foul in the opening minutes of the second half in the same penalty area, rejecting appeals for a penalty when Dybala theatrically fell under pressure from Lucas Leiva.

Both sides visibly tired in the second half, with Allegri's decision to send on the attack-minded Douglas Costa – resulting in a switch to a flat-back four –failing to inspire Juventus.

Yet the champions still found a way to triumph in the closing stages, Argentine Dybala demonstrating both skill and strength to land the knockout blow in the closing seconds of an otherwise forgettable contest.

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

2dky5ig.jpg

swcy9l.png

LAZIO - JUVENTUS     ..........

8kH0p.png     0-1        105px-Juventus_FC_2017_logo.png                

Paulo Dybala 93'

27th Matchday

Olimpico Stadium, Rome

Dybala: 'Big goal for Juve and me'

DXYyOJZXcAAV7Cj.jpg

https://www.football-italia.net/118017/dybala-big-goal-juve-and-me

Mar 3, 2018

Paulo Dybala admits his last-gasp winner against Lazio is “a very important goal for Juventus and my confidence, but it could’ve ended 0-0.”

Deep into stoppages, La Joya nutmegged one player, held off another and steered his finish into the far top corner from 10 yards.

“For my confidence, it’s a very important goal, so I can keep working and improve over the next few months and help my teammates,” Dybala told Sky Sport Italia.

“This goal gives us a big result against a Lazio side that plays very good football. It will help us a lot.”

That was the first and only shot on target that Juventus managed at the Stadio Olimpico.

“It wasn’t the most beautiful match on a technical level and if it had ended 0-0, nobody would’ve complained.”

Juve go to Wembley next week to play Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League, having drawn the first leg 2-2.

“I didn’t know if I was meant to play 90 minutes, as it was my first start and we have a big game on Wednesday. The Coach asked me how I was feeling, I felt good, and got the goal at the last minute.

“We must improve our technique in London and come out stronger in the first half. We were in better physical shape than Lazio tonight, as they played 120 minutes against Milan midweek.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

2dky5ig.jpg

swcy9l.png

LAZIO - JUVENTUS     ..........

8kH0p.png     0-1        105px-Juventus_FC_2017_logo.png                

Paulo Dybala 93'

27th Matchday

Olimpico Stadium, Rome

Allegri: 'Football is vicious...'

Allegri: «Volevo una Juventus tosta: siamo straordinari da sei anni»

https://www.football-italia.net/118019/allegri-football-vicious

Mar 3, 2018

Max Allegri admits “football is vicious” after Paulo Dybala’s last-gasp winner at Lazio, but Juventus “need a different approach” to Tottenham.

La Joya made his first start in two months and scored the winner in stoppages at the Stadio Olimpico.

“Football is vicious. We fought back for 2-2 and lost the Super Cup to Lazio in the last minute, tonight they were beaten at the last minute.

“It was a difficult game, because Lazio are in third place, they held out well physically and we had very limited options in attack,” said the Coach on Mediaset Premium and Sky Sport Italia.

“We played the game that we had to play and had to come away with the victory. I told the lads that a single incident would decide this match and I was right.

“It wasn’t the best performance on a technical level and we gave the ball away too much, but we were alert on their counter-attacks, as they hurt us in the past with those.

“We had to be wide awake and stay in the running to the very end. I had no doubts on the character of my players and, as always, they were extraordinary.

“We had to stay in it and make the most of the incident that went our way. The goal means a lot for Dybala and the team.”

Juventus rested Alex Sandro, Douglas Costa and Giorgio Chiellini, while Gonzalo Higuain was still out injured with Federico Bernardeschi, Juan Cuadrado and Mattia De Sciglio.

The Bianconeri had only one shot on target today, but cannot take that approach to the Champions League at Wembley, as Tottenham drew the first leg 2-2 in Turin.

“On Wednesday we need a very different performance and approach, partly because Tottenham don’t defend as well as Lazio.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

2dky5ig.jpg

swcy9l.png

FIORENTINA CAPTAIN ASTORI DEAD

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor davide astori italia

https://www.football-italia.net/118045/fiorentina-captain-astori-dead

Mar 4, 2018

Fiorentina and Italy defender Davide Astori has died in his sleep.

The centre-back turned 31 in January and was the captain of the Viola squad, with 14 senior Italy caps and one goal to his name.

He had become a father only two weeks ago.

According to Udine Today, the player failed to wake up this morning when he was at the La di Moret hotel in Udine on a training camp with the squad, awaiting today’s match with Udinese.

The reports were spreading rapidly and Fiorentina released a statement this morning to confirm the news.

“Fiorentina are profoundly shaken and forced to announce that their captain Davide Astori has died,” read the statement.

“For this terrible and delicate situation, and above all out of respect for his family, we appeal to the sensitivity of the media.”

Udinese-Fiorentina has obviously been called off. There are reports the rest of the Serie A games this weekend could also be cancelled.

Genoa-Cagliari is due to kick off at 11.30 GMT and news of Astori's death arrived at Marassi during the warm-up, the players visibly in shock.

Astori started his career in the Milan youth academy in 2001, remaining at the club – with a loan spell at Cremonese and Pizzighettone – until July 2008.

He spent six years at Cagliari, leaving in 2014 for Roma on loan, then starting his Fiorentina experience in the summer of 2015.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRpj1RcEjjGbP0Ptg6aHR

swcy9l.png

TOTTENHAM - JUVENTUS     ..........

tottenham-hotspur-128x128.png...    ....... 105px-Juventus_FC_2017_logo.png                

Round of 16 - second leg

Wednesday, march 7th 2018 - 08:45 p.m. CET 

07.45 p.m. UK time - 06.45 p.m. GMT
Wembley Stadium - London
Referee: Szymon Marciniak (Poland)

Barzagli: ‘Juve must be better’

https://www.football-italia.net/118036/barzagli-‘juve-must-be-better’

Mar 4, 2018

Juventus defender Andrea Barzagli admits his side must play better against Tottenham Hotspur than they did in their win at Lazio.

The Old Lady edged past the Biancocelesti last saturday after a late Paulo Dybala goal gave them a 1-0 victory and the advantage in the Serie A title race.

However, they now travel to London for the return leg of their Champions League last 16 tie, with their hopes in Europe’s premier club competition hanging in the balance.

“Whether we go through or out, we will have to play a different match,” Barzagli said as Juve look to make amends after letting a 2-0 first leg lead slip three weeks ago.

“It will be much more technical because the Champions League matches are more open.

“There is another way you have to play. There is much more quality, it is less tactical, but we need to go there to score.

“We definitely have to play better than we did here.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Coppa Italia Final moved?

https://www.football-italia.net/118062/coppa-italia-final-moved

Mar 4, 2018

Today’s seven Serie A games have been called off after Fiorentina captain Davide Astori’s death and could be played on March 14 and May 9.

The 31-year-old died in his sleep and was discovered in the team hotel this morning, where the squad was preparing to face Udinese.

That fixture was postponed as a sign of respect, along with the other Serie A and B games planned for today.

Serie A clubs will tomorrow discuss the timing for playing these matches, but there are already several possibilities.

The biggest problem is caused by Milan-Inter, as the Rossoneri are also in the Coppa Italia Final against Juventus on May 9 and the Europa League Round of 16 with Arsenal.

It’s possible the Coppa Italia Final could be moved to after the end of the Serie A season on May 20, instead playing the Milan Derby at San Siro on May 9.

The other Serie A Week 27 matches are expected to be played on Wednesday March 14, but cannot be in the evening because they would clash with Champions League fixtures.

Atalanta-Sampdoria cannot be played then, because Atalanta already have a game in hand against Juventus that was snowed off last weekend and has been rescheduled for March 14.

The games called off today are Genoa-Cagliari, Chievo-Sassuolo, Udinese-Fiorentina, Benevento-Verona, Torino-Crotone, Atalanta-Sampdoria and Milan-Inter.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

‘Juve symbol of Italian football’

https://www.football-italia.net/118079/juve-symbol-italian-football

Mar 5, 2018

Lucas Moura believes Juventus are “the symbol of Italian football” after warning Tottenham Hotspur “they have the experience and nerves to qualify”.

Spurs left Juve with a credible 2-2 draw and consequently two away goals for Wednesday’s Champions League last-16 second leg, but Lucas urged his side not take the Italians lightly.

“The 2-2 from the first leg was a good sign for us, but it would be a mistake to manage that result at Wembley,” the former Paris Saint-Germain winger told Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Juventus are a great team, one of the best in Europe. They’ve been finalists twice in the last three editions of the Champions League.

“They have the experience and nerves to qualify, even on a trip like this. They’re a very balanced team, who know how to defend well and make the most of the chances they create.

“During the match in Turin, they were fulminating on the attack, but then we got at them.

“Still, that evening must be a warning for us: that Juventus are able to score two goals in a few minutes.

“I know Douglas Costa and Alex Sandro, who are also Brazilian. There’s also Matuidi, my former PSG teammate and a great player, who has adapted to life in Italy perfectly, famous names like Buffon and Chiellini, talents like Pjanic, a goalscorer like Higuain and that Argentine lad who has the numbers of a phenomenon, Dybala.

“Generally speaking, Juventus are the symbol of Italian football, who have won four world titles.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

UEFA to remember Astori

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor champions league europa league

https://www.football-italia.net/118091/uefa-remember-astori

Mar 4, 2018

All clubs playing in the Champions League and Europa League this week will observe a minute’s silence in their matches for Davide Astori.

Astori tragically died in his sleep hours before Fiorentina’s match against Udinese on Saturday, and UEFA announced the respectful gesture in all of its competitions.

Juventus, Roma, Milan and Lazio are the four clubs still representing Italy in the Champions League and Europa League.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Matuidi: 'Dybala can change game'

https://www.football-italia.net/118097/matuidi-dybala-can-change-game

Mar 5, 2018

Blaise Matuidi trusts Juventus can beat Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League and Paulo Dybala “is capable of changing a game.”

The first leg ended 2-2 in Turin, so the Bianconeri need to win at Wembley on Wednesday evening or draw 3-3 and above.

“Wembley is a wonderful stadium, I had the fortune of playing there with the France team,” Matuidi told Sky Sport Italia.

“It won’t be easy on Wednesday, as Tottenham are a team who play good football, are on form domestically and did great things in the Champions League, including the first leg against us.

“In any case, we proved in Turin that we can cause them serious problems, so we are going to London looking to win and score goals. If we play the way we know how, the way we did against Lazio, then it’s possible.”

Gonzalo Higuain remains in doubt to the last minute with an ankle injury, while Mario Mandzukic is not 100 per cent fit either, but Dybala is back and scored the last-gasp winner against Lazio on Saturday.

“Higuain is recovering in the best way and I hope he’ll make the journey with us tomorrow. We are all happy with Paulo’s goal, because he deserves it for the hard work he puts in every day.

“Dybala proved yet again, as he has done so many times, that he is a player capable of changing a game and giving the team victory.”

Italian football was shaken on Sunday by the news that Fiorentina captain Davide Astori had passed away in his sleep, aged only 31.

“I send my condolences to his family. I didn’t know him personally, but many of my teammates did and they are in great pain. I could tell we were not only losing a great player, but also a great person.

“It’s never easy to step back on to the pitch after a tragedy like this, but football will try to go on in his honour too.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Higuain ready for Tottenham?

https://www.football-italia.net/118106/higuain-ready-tottenham

Mar 5, 2018

Gonzalo Higuain is expected to be in the Juventus squad for their trip to Tottenham Hotspur, but Mario Mandzukic remains in doubt.

The first leg of the Champions League Round of 16 ended 2-2 in Turin, so the Bianconeri must win at Wembley on Wednesday night or have a score draw at 3-3 and above.

Paulo Dybala is certainly back to fitness after two months out with a hamstring injury, as he played 90 minutes against Lazio on Saturday night and scored the winning goal in stoppages.

Higuain did not take part in that match due to an ankle sprain, but he did go through today’s full training session with the rest of his teammates.

It is therefore likely Pipita will be at least in the squad travelling to London, even if he might not necessarily start.

Mandzukic trained separately from the rest of the team today and is a real doubt for the big Champions League game.

Mattia De Sciglio is also struggling, so would be replaced by Stephan Lichtsteiner or Andrea Barzagli at right-back.

Federico Bernardeschi and Juan Cuadrado are long-term absentees.

If Higuain and Mandzukic are not ready to start, then Juventus are expected to use a 4-3-3 formation against Tottenham with Douglas Costa and Alex Sandro in the trident attack, flanking False 9 Dybala.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Rugani: 'Juve believe to the end'

https://www.football-italia.net/118108/rugani-juve-believe-end

Mar 5, 2018

Daniele Rugani warned Tottenham Hotspur that Juventus “believe to the end. These aren’t just words, they are in our DNA.”

The Bianconeri are fresh from a last-gasp 1-0 win at Lazio in Serie A and on Wednesday travel to London for the Champions League Round of 16.

As the first leg ended 2-2 in Turin, they must either win or play a score draw of 2-2 and above.

“On Wednesday, the details will be fundamental,” Rugani told JTV. “I think it’ll be a more open game compared to the one against Lazio, who defended very deep with everyone behind the ball.

“In theory, English teams ought to behave differently… We start from that 2-2 home result and must give more than 100 per cent, because it’ll take an extraordinary performance to win.”

Juventus beat Lazio in stoppages with Paulo Dybala’s strike, but centre-back Rugani provided the unexpected assist.

“Dybala scored the goal all by himself and was phenomenal to get it in the net. After the goal, we joked and I told him it’d count as an assist from me.

“I don’t know if that win will be decisive, seeing as there is a long way to go, but it was an important moment, especially with Napoli losing to Roma.

“Our strength is this: we believe to the end. These aren’t just words, but they are in our DNA and we proved that in a tough game against a difficult side who defend well and have quick strikers dangerous on the counter-attack. We knew the risks, having lost to them twice before this season.

“We’ve now gone back to defending like Juve. Solidity was always our main characteristic and it’s not just down to the defenders. When there are such drastic improvements, it’s the whole team that contributes, starting from the work done by the forwards.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

‘Kane one of the world’s best’

Chiellini: ' Rinnovo? Alla Juve a a vita. Kane tra i 2-3 migliori al mondo, ma passiamo noi se...'

https://www.football-italia.net/118122/‘kane-one-world’s-best’

Mar 6, 2018

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini says Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane “is among the three or four best strikers in the world”.

The Bianconeri face the English side at Wembley tomorrow for the second leg of their Champions League Last 16 tie, having drawn 2-2 in Turin.

“Juventus must play as Juventus,” Chiellini told Il Giornale.

“If we play our game, we win. Tottenham focus on the attack and maybe give something away. They’re not going to be wide open, but their features won’t change in a day.

“We hope to have as many players available as possible to have more weapons at our disposal as the game goes on.

“They have a slight advantage, they scored twice in our stadium and that says something. But everything is open, and they know it too.

“We’re better prepared now, because after the first leg we know a bit more about them. Up-front they have those four players who don’t give you a reference point.

“We go to London with balance, without slogans. That’s always been our strength.

“Harry Kane? We’re talking about a player who is among the best three or four strikers in the world.”

Chiellini was also asked about his new contract, as his current deal expires in the summer.

“We’ll do it, but first we think about the pitch.

“Juventus for life? After these two more years I don’t think there will be much time for other experiences. I’ll be 34 in August…

“I do not have the explosiveness of ten years ago, but I have full maturity. When you gain so much experience you get less tired, maybe because you waste less energy and you’ve found a good balance.

“I’m in this family and I give all of myself to it. I hope I can lend a hand after I stop playing in any way which will help. I’m lucky to have become part of the history of this club.

“Is my symbol a bandaged head? It represents what I have inside me, and what’s allowed me to stand alongside incredible champions.

“Everyone has something to bring to the table. I’ll never be Panic with his delicacy, but he couldn’t be Chiellini.

“The hardest thing is finding the perfect blend, and the Coach [Max Allegri] has been great at doing that.

“He’s intelligent, and he has no problem going head-to-head with anyone. Anyone. And he has that ability to read the game that you just can’t teach.”

The Italian international was of course asked about Davide Astori, who tragically passed away on Sunday.

“The pain is too great, I prefer silence.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Lombardo: ‘Spurs are favourites, but…’

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor juventus vs tottenham champions league

https://www.football-italia.net/118123/lombardo-‘spurs-are-favourites-but…’

Mar 6, 2018

Former Juventus winger Attilio Lombardo sees Tottenham Hotspur as “slight favourites” tomorrow but “if I were them I wouldn’t take qualification for granted”.

The Bianconeri have to win - or score at least twice - tomorrow if they are to progress in the Champions League Last 16 tie, having blown a 2-0 lead in Turin to draw 2-2.

“It’s a decisive clash, fascinating,” Lombardo told TuttoJuve.

“Tottenham, when you look at the result of the first leg, start as slight favourites but we all know what Juventus are capable of doing in important matches like this.

“Logically speaking the 2-2 gives the advantage to the English, but if I were them I wouldn’t take qualification for granted.

“It’s not enough to see the same Juve as against Torino and Lazio, because against Tottenham they’ll find a different atmosphere. It’s always very difficult in England from that point of view.

“The Bianconeri will have to be patient, they’ll have to be clinical when they do get chances and take advantage of any gifts from their hosts.”

It was then put to Lombardo that Spurs might play an open game, despite holding the advantage in the tie.

“That’s definitely the English spirit, but then again the Coach who sits on the bench is not English. [Mauricio] Pochettino knows his stuff, he knows European football well and he’ll have studied Juventus perfectly.

“The team that will have to open up is the Bianconeri, who have great players who can unlock a match at any time.

“That’s what happened with [Paulo] Dybala in the Lazio match and I think the English could afford them some more space, that’s why they’ll just have to wait for the right moment to strike.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Juve: Higuain in, Mandzukic out

DXnSrdHW4AEASXY.jpg

https://www.football-italia.net/118133/juve-higuain-mandzukic-out

Mar 6, 2018

Gonzalo Higuain is back in Juventus’ squad to face Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday, but Mario Mandzukic misses out.

Higuain had missed Juve’s last two games with an ankle injury, but he has shaken it off in time for the trip to Spurs, as has Mattia De Sciglio.

However, a muscle problem rules out Mandzukic as the striker joins Federico Bernardeschi and Juan Cuadrado on the sidelines.

The Bianconeri take a 2-2 draw into their Champions League last-16 second leg at Wembley, meaning they may need to claw back two away goals.

Juve squad for Spurs: Buffon, Pinsoglio, Szczesny, Del Favero; De Sciglio, Chiellini, Benatia, Alex Sandro, Barzagli, Rugani, Lichtsteiner; Pjanic, Khedira, Marchisio, Matuidi, Asamoah, Sturaro, Bentancur; Higuain, Dybala, Costa

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Juve back in HD against Spurs

https://www.football-italia.net/118138/juve-back-hd-against-spurs

Mar 6, 2018

Gonzalo Higuain and Paulo Dybala could start against Tottenham Hotspur, but Juventus lose Mario Mandzukic.

The Juventus injury list appears to be reducing just in time for the business end of the season, with Tuesday morning’s training session at Vinovo seeing close to a full complement of players taking part.

However, Wednesday’s huge Champions League second leg against Spurs may well have come a little too soon for one or two of the Bianconeri’s returning stars.

Despite making an appearance in the morning session, Mandzukic has not travelled with the squad. The loss of their Croatian warrior will be a blow, but the presence of Higuain back with the squad will be a huge boost.

Max Allegri has been forced to dig deep into his squad in recent weeks with injuries severely hampering his options, forcing him to be at his resourceful best. Despite the importance of their Serie A fixture against Lazio at the weekend, Mister Allegri changed formation in order to rest players for the trip to Wembley.

Giorgio Chiellini, Alex Sandro and Douglas Costa all started from the bench with the Champions League in mind. Paulo Dybala completed his first 90 minutes after an injury lay-off and, despite fatiguing during the latter stages, he produced a moment of class in stoppage time to give his side an invaluable three points.

Barring any last-minute surprises Juventus will return to a back four for this game after using a 3-5-2 in Rome on Saturday. Gianluigi Buffon is set to make his 123rd Champions League appearance and will hope to record his 50th clean sheet in the competition.

Alex Sandro will be reinstated at left back, with the unmistakeable Giorgio Chiellini returning to take up his usual spot at centre back alongside the commanding Medhi Benatia. Mattia De Sciglio was the preferred choice at right-back for the first leg but a subsequent injury has seen him miss the last couple of weeks.

The Italian defender is travelling with the squad, but it is unlikely he will play from the start, having only returned to training in the last few days. The experienced Stephan Lichtsteiner has been playing in De Sciglio’s absence and the Swiss right-back is set to get the nod for this one too.

After a disastrous show from Juve’s two-man midfield in Turin, the availability of Blaise Matuidi for the game in London will see Allegri deploy his preferred three-man midfield. The Pianist Miralem Pjanic will take centre stage in midfield, with German international taking up his regular role on the right.

With attacking trio Mario Mandzukic, Juan Cuadrado and Italian international Federico Bernardeschi all missing, the Juventus front line picks itself. The big news is without doubt the return of Argentine duo Dybala and Gonzalo Higuain. Fans of La Madama will have been delighted to see their Number 10 score on his return to the team at the weekend and will have been further lifted when hearing that their “HD” attack is set to be re-united.

Higuain has not played since limping off against Torino a little over two weeks ago, but he may well be set to return to the starting line-up alongside South American counterparts Dybala and Douglas Costa.

It was a mixed bag for the Juve attack during the first 90 minutes, but they did have success against the Spurs defence. With Dybala adding a touch of magic this time around, they will be hoping to conjure up something special in order to progress to the next round.

Juventus (probable): Buffon; Lichtsteiner, Benatia, Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi; Dybala, Douglas Costa; Higuain

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Buffon: 'Not a Champions League Final'

https://www.football-italia.net/118147/buffon-not-champions-league-final

https://www.football-italia.net/118148/buffon-wembley-theatre-football

Mar 6, 2018

Gigi Buffon joked that Juventus shouldn’t treat Tottenham Hotspur like a Champions League Final, “seeing how the last few went.”

It kicks off on Wednesday at 20.45 CET - 19.45 GMT after the first leg ended 2-2 in Turin.

“Let’s not say it’s like a Final, seeing how the last few went,” laughed the captain on Mediaset Premium, referring to Juve’s famously poor record in Champions League showdowns.

“It’s a Round of 16 tie in a magnificent theatre for football and I hope Juve will give our best, because if we act within our capabilities, then we have the opportunity to go through.

“We need a game as a real team. A team that steps on to the field with a clear character and idea of football. Tomorrow we must call upon all our international experience, individual and as a group.”

Juventus had been leading 2-0 in the opening stages of the first leg, but capitulated after the break.

“We faced a strong side, of international level, with good attacking play. However, they are also a team who allow you opportunities to stay in the game and we must be clinical enough to make the most of those chances.”

It has not been a normal few days in Italian football, as Fiorentina captain and Italy international Davide Astori tragically died at the age of 31.

“We have to go on, because in good times and bad, life allows and obliges you to go on. It was a wonderful spell we had with Davide and we, who are in his same profession, must have extra motivation to step on to the field in his name.”

Gigi Buffon said Wembley is “a theatre of football” to host Tottenham Hotspur and Juventus, while comparisons between Harry Kane and Gabriel Batistuta are “apt.”

Tottenham are playing their home games at Wembley Stadium this season, while their new arena is constructed.

“It is a very enticing challenge, as it is played in a theatre of football that is historically incredible.

“We must also try to earn our qualification, which seeing the first leg result and the strength of our opponents, seems to be an uphill struggle.

“But then when it seems easy, that tends to trip you up more than the toughest tests on paper.

“Tottenham have a well-drilled approach to the game, it’s positive, attacking, physical and technical, that will certainly cause us problems. But it is also a type of football that allows the opposition opportunities to score, so I expect a very entertaining and balanced match where the most clinical side will win the game and qualification.

“I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we conceded more than one goal in 2018 only against Spurs. Our solidity is and has always been one of the best qualities of the team. I said that even at the start of the season, when the team was attacked for the number of goals conceded.

“But there are also opponents, their qualities and characteristics. Tottenham are focused very much on attack and have their best weapons upfront. With players like Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen, they can score a goal. Maybe two was too many…

“We have become accustomed to the pessimism around Juventus, because the moment we don’t get a victory, people grimace and ignore the quality of the opponents we were up against. We spoiled people with our success!

“Having said that, we have what it takes to put in the right performance tomorrow. When Juve are somewhat under attack, struggling or wounded, I think the best comes out of us.

“A mistake or non-success irritates me so much that it drives me on to improve, learn and become a better goalkeeper going forward. That is what all the individuals as well as the team do, the mentality that got us to play games of this level so regularly.”

Buffon was asked if Paulo Dybala and Gonzalo Higuain are physically ready for this challenge after such a long period out with injury.

“I think my best performances have been when I had my mind in the right place, regardless of my physical condition. At times, being in physically great shape can be dangerous, as it makes you feel invulnerable and that’s when you get a kicking. I prefer to be mentally focused and fired up, even if I am less physically prepared.”

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has compared Kane to Gabriel Batistuta, who Buffon did come up against in his long career.

“It’s true, the comparison is apt in terms of physical strength athleticism and finishing, there are many analogies between Kane and Batistuta. Kane is in an extraordinary period of form and inevitably leads him to do things that had before seemed unthinkable. He is right now one of the two or three best strikers in the world.”

Buffon is 40 years old now and could retire this summer, so has he thought that it might be his last Champions League appearance?

“I haven’t thought if it could be my last Champions League game. I am an optimist by nature and hope more than anything else that it isn’t the last Champions League game for Juventus this season, that we have many more going forward.

“As for my future, this is not the time or the place to discuss individual situations, including mine.”

It has not been a normal week in Italian football, as Fiorentina captain and Italy international Davide Astori passed away at the age of 31 on Sunday.

“We carry on because life forces us to, otherwise you let yourself become consumed by the tragedy that inevitably will strike you over the course of a lifetime.

“I think above all for we who are football players and had the honour of spending time with and knowing a person like Davide, considering he was in our profession, the best way to honour him and keep his sporting image alive is to keep playing and raise up the best values of the sport.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Allegri: 'Pressure is on Tottenham'

https://www.football-italia.net/118149/allegri-pressure-tottenham

Mar 6, 2018

Max Allegri hinted Juventus could start Paulo Dybala, Gonzalo Higuain and Douglas Costa, but “the pressure is on Tottenham Hotspur.” 

It kicks off on Wednesday at 20.45 CET - 19.45 GMT after the first leg ended 2-2 in Turin.

Mario Mandzukic, Federico Bernardeschi, Juan Cuadrado and Benedikt Howedes have not made the trip, but Paulo Dybala and Gonzalo Higuain should be ready to start.

Tottenham are playing their home games at Wembley Stadium this season, while their new arena is constructed.

“Both Higuain and Dybala will play. Higuain has been taking part in training for two days, so he is at our disposal and ready to play.

“Dybala is fully fit, as seen against Lazio, but tomorrow is such an important game that they all want to be a part of it, even if not at 100 per cent.

“There is a good chance that Douglas Costa will play. They could all play together, they might not. I’ve only got those three, so some of them have to play! Maybe I’ll remove a midfielder!

“Of course, we prefer not to go to extra time tomorrow, because we have a short bench at the moment.

“I don’t know how Tottenham will play, but considering the first leg result, there’s more pressure on them because they are the favourites.

“It’s like a Final for us and looking back at the first leg, we made a lot of mistakes to gift them chances, so we have to play better technically and take the ball off them, stop them passing it around.

“It won’t so much be a tactical issue as a technical one, of passing it cleanly and keeping the ball. We have to stay in the game, make few errors and take our chances when they present themselves.

“In a way, the Lazio game on Saturday was a good training session, because it was very balanced, physical and with few scoring opportunities and was decided by Paulo taking that one great chance. I expect there will be more space tomorrow, but we have to be very careful in defence.

“We have to keep possession better and it won’t be easy. We had more counter-attacking players when we were against Bayern Munich in 2016, but the characteristics of the players are different.”

Allegri was asked if Tottenham and Napoli had similarities, but his response was unimpressed.

“Napoli play with a tiny centre-forward, whereas Kane is two metres tall, so that’s a difference for a start… I don’t train either team, so you’d have to ask Mauricio Pochettino and Maurizio Sarri.”

Allegri had worked with Davide Astori at Cagliari and was asked for a memory of the Fiorentina captain, who tragically died in his sleep on Sunday.

“I saw Davide grow up in a football sense, so I keep him in my heart. I think much has been said and silence is the best thing right now. Our thoughts are with his family and above all his little girl, who being two years old, never really got the chance to know her Daddy.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Zoff: 'Juventus stronger than Spurs'

https://www.football-italia.net/118152/zoff-juventus-stronger-spurs

Mar 6, 2018

Italy legend Dino Zoff believes Juventus “are without a shadow of doubt a stronger team than Tottenham Hotspur.”

The first leg ended 2-2 in Turin and the Champions League Round of 16 decider is at Wembley on Wednesday evening, so away goals could prove crucial.

“Juventus have everything it takes to get through to the quarter-finals,” Zoff told ilBiancoNero.com.

“I consider Juventus to be without a shadow of doubt stronger than Tottenham Hotspur. Thanks also to the experience of many of their players, they can do it.”

Zoff knows Wembley well, as he was in goal when Italy beat England here for the first time in 1973.

He was also the Italy Coach in 1998-2000, but the Nazionale is currently without a tactician.

“There are many talented Coaches around. I am optimistic for the future of the Nazionale, as we have some interesting young talents who can help us reboot, including Federico Bernardeschi.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Pochettino: ‘Juventus one of the best’

https://www.football-italia.net/118182/‘juventus-one-best’

Mar 7, 2018

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino calls Juventus “one of the best teams in Europe” but “we have to try to force them to play deeper”.

The English side have the advantage heading in to tonight’s Champions League second leg, having taken a 2-2 draw in Turin.

That means a 0-0 or a 1-1 draw would be enough to see Spurs in to the quarter-finals.

“It’s a very important match for everyone at the club, so we’re excited to face a team like Juventus with the possibility to go to the quarter-final,” Pochettino told the club’s official website.

“Despite that, we know we have to be very competitive and perform at our best, because we’re going to face one of the best teams of the last three seasons that were capable of playing two finals in the Champions League.

“I think they are one of the best teams in Europe and it’s tough to score goals against them. They don’t concede many goals.

“I think it’s great because we scored twice over there, but you know very well that this will be a tough game, this is an experienced team with experienced players that know how to compete in this type of situation.”

Paulo Dybala is back for this match, having missed the first leg…

“Of course, Dybala is a player than can provide the team with different qualities and different things.

“We’re aware of him, and then it’s difficult to stop this type of talented player but of course we have to do our job, try to push them and force them to play deeper and try to avoid the counter-attack and the transition because they do that well.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Juventus consider attacking trio

DXrB_gnXcAAMqyY.jpg

https://www.football-italia.net/118184/juventus-consider-attacking-trio

Mar 7, 2018

Juventus are expected to use a fluid formation with Douglas Costa and Paulo Dybala supporting Gonzalo Higuain against Tottenham.

The Champions League Round of 16 concludes this evening at 19.45 GMT after the 2-2 first leg draw in Turin.

Max Allegri is without Mario Mandzukic, Federico Bernardeschi and Juan Cuadrado, while Mattia De Sciglio and Douglas Costa are not 100 per cent fit either.

The latest reports from London suggest Andrea Barzagli could be used at right-back rather than De Sciglio or Stephan Lichtsteiner, providing more defensive coverage down that flank.

Douglas Costa and Dybala can support Higuain, who makes his first appearance since spraining his ankle against Torino.

It's fluid, because at times it could effectively be a 3-5-2 with Douglas Costa and Alex Sandro pushing further up, at others a 4-4-2 and even a 4-3-2-1, depending on possession and approach.

Tottenham have one real doubt for the line-up and that’s between Son Heung-Min and Erik Lamela, with the former Roma star having been chosen for the first leg.

Toby Alderweireld is injured and Serge Aurier suspended, so Kieran Trippier gets his first Champions League start at right-back.

Probable line-ups:

Tottenham: Lloris; Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Dembele; Eriksen, Alli, Son (Lamela); Kane

Juventus: Buffon; Barzagli, Benatia, Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi; Douglas Costa, Dybala; Higuain

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Line-ups: Tottenham-Juventus

https://www.football-italia.net/118191/line-ups-tottenham-juventus

Mar 7, 2018

Juventus rely on Gonzalo Higuain, Paulo Dybala, Douglas Costa and some tactical adjustments in their Champions League clash with Harry Kane’s Tottenham.

It kicks off at Wembley Stadium at 20.45 Cet - 19.45 GMT.

The first leg ended 2-2 in Turin, as Higuain had given the Bianconeri an early 2-0 lead, only to then miss a penalty, followed by a remarkable comeback from Kane and Christian Eriksen.

Higuain has been out of action since spraining his ankle in the Turin Derby on February 18, but has trained for the last two days and is thrown straight into the starting XI.

Max Allegri has to take the risk, because the only other centre-forward in the squad – Mario Mandzukic – was left behind on the treatment table in Turin.

Dybala was out for two months with a hamstring strain and missed the first leg, but proved his fitness by playing over 90 minutes in Saturday’s 1-0 win over Lazio, scoring the spectacular last-gasp winning goal.

Options in attack are limited, as Douglas Costa is not 100 per cent fit either, while Federico Bernardeschi and Juan Cuadrado are injured.

It was thought initially that Douglas Costa would start from the bench, but his presence allows the Bianconeri to use a very fluid tactical system.

With Andrea Barzagli chosen rather than Mattia De Sciglio or Stephan Lichtsteiner, Juve can use the same players to move from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1, depending on the circumstances.

Alex Sandro can be a left-back or push further up down the flank into a wide midfield role.

Blaise Matuidi is back in action after missing the first leg and partners Sami Khedira and Miralem Pjanic.

Tottenham have to do without injured Toby Alderweireld and suspended Serge Aurier, although some Spurs fans would argue Aurier’s absence is more of a bonus than a hindrance.

It means Kieran Trippier gets his first Champions League start at right-back.

Mousa Dembele shakes off a knock to start in midfield, so Lucas Moura goes to the bench with former Roma man Erik Lamela.

It’s all about the attack and Mauricio Pochettino has Eriksen, Dele Alli and Son Heung-Min fanning out behind on-form hitman Kane.

South Korea international Son might be the least famous of the quartet, but he has scored a brace in each of his last two competitive games.

Spurs have won all three home games in the Champions League this season, including victories over Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid.

They are unbeaten at Wembley in 15 games, winning the last seven on the trot, and kept eight clean sheets in the last 12 here.

Tottenham: Lloris; Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Dembele; Eriksen, Alli, Son; Kane

Tottenham bench: Gazzaniga, Rose, Lamela, Wanyama, Sissoko, Llorente, Lucas

Juventus: Buffon; Barzagli, Benatia, Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi; Douglas Costa, Dybala; Higuain

Juventus bench: Szczesny, Marchisio, Asamoah, Rugani, Lichtsteiner, Sturaro, Bentancur

Ref: Marciniak (POL)

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

HT 1-0: Son surprises Juventus

DXtnjIIXkAEGy6c.jpg

https://www.football-italia.net/118195/ht-son-surprises-juventus

Mar 7, 2018

Son Heung-Min’s mis-kick has given Tottenham the half-time lead, but Juventus were denied a blatant penalty in the Champions League Round of 16 tie.

The first leg ended 2-2 in Turin, though the Bianconeri had been 2-0 up with a Gonzalo Higuain brace and Pipita missed a penalty before the Spurs comeback. Paulo Dybala and Blaise Matuidi returned after missing that game, while Gonzalo Higuain was back for his first appearance three weeks after spraining his ankle against Torino, but Mario Mandzukic, Federico Bernardeschi, Juan Cuadrado and Mattia De Sciglio were unavailable. Eric Trippier stepped in for suspended Serge Aurier with Toby Alderweireld injured.

In the opening minutes, Son Heung-Min – preferred to Erik Lamela – tested Gigi Buffon with an angled drive. Giorgio Chiellini ran a risk when he slipped in the area and the ball struck his hand, but there was a clear penalty not awarded to Juventus moments later.

Jan Vertonghen completely mistimed his tackle on Douglas Costa and brought him down from behind, not touching the ball, but the referee incredibly waved play on.

Andrea Barzagli also ran a risk as he ‘accidentally’ trampled on Son, but the South Korean continued to cause problems and fired an angled drive just wide of the far bottom corner.

Son eventually gave Spurs the lead, almost by accident, as he horribly mis-kicked the Trippier cross and it looped over a helpless Buffon.

Miralem Pjanic had the chance to level it and get a crucial away goal, but drilled just wide from the edge of the box.

Tottenham 1-0 Juventus (3-2 agg, Half-Time)

Son 39 (T)

Tottenham: Lloris; Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Dembele; Eriksen, Alli, Son; Kane

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

tottenham-hotspur-128x128.png 1-2 105px-Juventus_FC_2017_logo.png                

Son Heung-Min 39'

Gonzalo Higuain 64'

Paulo Dybala 67'

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Tottenham 1 Juventus 2 (3-4 agg): Higuain

and Dybala complete dramatic comeback

DXt2HhUWsAEFVvv.jpg

http://www.goal.com/en/match/tottenham-hotspur-v-juventus/report/6ar5z59gl6v7rez72ptfu5nxm

Mar 7, 2018

Gonzalo Higuain and Paulo Dybala turned Tottenham Hotspur around in under three minutes to send Juventus into the Champions League quarter-finals.

The first leg ended 2-2 in Turin, though the Bianconeri had been 2-0 up with a Gonzalo Higuain brace and Pipita missed a penalty before the Spurs comeback. Paulo Dybala and Blaise Matuidi returned after missing that game, while Gonzalo Higuain was back for his first appearance three weeks after spraining his ankle against Torino, but Mario Mandzukic, Federico Bernardeschi, Juan Cuadrado and Mattia De Sciglio were unavailable. Eric Trippier stepped in for suspended Serge Aurier with Toby Alderweireld injured.

In the opening minutes, Son Heung-Min – preferred to Erik Lamela – tested Gigi Buffon with an angled drive. Giorgio Chiellini ran a risk when he slipped in the area and the ball struck his hand, but there was a clear penalty not awarded to Juventus moments later.

Jan Vertonghen completely mistimed his tackle on Douglas Costa and brought him down from behind, not touching the ball, but the referee incredibly waved play on.

Andrea Barzagli also ran a risk as he ‘accidentally’ trampled on Son, but the South Korean continued to cause problems and fired an angled drive just wide of the far bottom corner.

Son eventually gave Spurs the lead, almost by accident, as he horribly mis-kicked the Trippier cross and it looped over a helpless Buffon.

Miralem Pjanic had the chance to level it and get a crucial away goal, but drilled just wide from the edge of the box.

Juve made precious little impact in the second half and lost Medhi Benatia to injury, but were transformed by another substitution, introducing Kwadwo Asamoah for Matuidi and moving to 4-4-2.

After Dybala’s volley was off target, Higuain stretched out a leg to redirect Sami Khedira’s header at the back post. It levelled the game at Wembley, but Juve still needed another away goal to qualify.

Incredibly, it arrived two minutes and 49 seconds later, when Higuain’s inspired through ball allowed Dybala to spring the offside trap and La Joya kept his cool to fire over Hugo Lloris.

Spurs fought back and Chiellini needed a desperate clearance to stop Kane reaching Son’s volleyed cut-back from the by-line, then the Korean drilled inches past the post.

It turned into a siege and at the 89th minute Kane – who was offside – saw his header bounce off the inside of the far post, then Barzagli cleared it off the line.

Tottenham 1-2 Juventus (3-4 agg)

Son 39 (T), Higuain 64 (J), Dybala 67 (J)

Tottenham: Lloris; Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies; Dier (Lamela 74), Dembele; Eriksen, Alli (Llorente 85), Son; Kane

Juventus: Buffon; Barzagli, Benatia (Lichtsteiner 61), Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi (Asamoah 60); Douglas Costa, Dybala; Higuain (Sturaro 83)

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Son Heung-Min 39'

Gonzalo Higuain 64'

Paulo Dybala 67'

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Three minutes of magic! Higuain & Juventus

teach Tottenham a brutal lesson

A crazy three-minute spell saw Spurs knocked out of the Champions League

as Juve drew on a groundswell of history and belief to assert their dominance.

080056226-416698a0-2994-47f5-9f39-822ecd

http://www.goal.com/en/news/three-minutes-of-magic-higuain-juventus-teach-tottenham-the/t6u1oexzt12c179iz3b9ne9gw

Mar 7, 2018

But for 12 minutes Tottenham Hotspur were better than Juventus across two legs in the Champions League last 16. That doesn't matter. They dominated the ball, had the perennial Italian champions on the back foot and it looked inevitable that they would knock them out. That doesn't matter.

In those crucial moments, a team like Juve have the resilience, the fortitude and the brilliance in their ranks to turn matches and ties on their heads and defy logic.

Gonzalo Higuain is a brilliant striker. He will go down in football folklore as a great fall guy because he missed some chances in big matches alongside Lionel Messi. But if it weren’t for the Argentina captain and Cristiano Ronaldo though, then Higuain would be the standard most people would assume to be world class.

Two quick-fire goals in the opening nine minutes of the first leg gave Spurs just too much to do in order to claw back a win in Turin even if they dominated thereafter. That performance left a lot to be desired from a Juve perspective.

There were genuine fears among their supporters that the end of the line had come. The team appeared stale, old and out of ideas. The presence of Andrea Barzagli in the right-back position in his 37th year here in London was a reminder of the need to freshen things up and usher in a new era of success. He was run ragged by Son Heung-min for Tottenham and it was the Korean who deservedly gave the hosts a half-time lead at Wembley.

Then something happened. Across a period of just two minutes and 49 seconds, Tottenham’s fate was decided. And what preceded the comeback was a pair of substitutions. Max Allegri swapped things around with Stephan Lichtsteiner coming on at right-back and Kwadwo Asamoah giving Alex Sandro license to attack from higher up on the left. Spurs did not adjust in time.

Lichtsteiner’s inch-perfect pass was nodded into the path of Higuain and he made no mistake. The striker was signed by Juve – not for Scudetto titles – but for nights like this. He is their big man, their difference-maker in Europe. He celebrated wildly in front of the visiting Italians as the roar went up. He urged his team-mates on, their seemingly insurmountable task now appearing distinctly possible.

When Mauricio Pochettino analyses the second goal he will see mistake after mistake. But from a Juventus perspective, what a goal it was! Higuain supplied the pass and their very own superstar-in-waiting came up with the goods. The key to winning this tie in the end was Paulo Dybala.

Paulo Dybala Juventus

Injured for the last few months, he made a goalscoring return with an injury-time strike against Lazio last weekend to put Juve back on track to win another Serie A title. They are that kind of team, with the capacity to break hearts at the last moment. And he is that kind of player. Someone else might have panicked when looking at the whites of the goalkeeper’s eyes here. His finish was sublime.

You could hear a pin drop around Wembley as Tottenham's Champions League dream crumbled in front of their eyes. Juve were finally where they wanted to be, back in the ascendancy.

Spurs, like Paris Saint-Germain earlier in the week, are learning the hard way in Europe. PSG are throwing good money after bad to try and keep up. Spurs are taking a more parsimonious route.

Each came up against Champions League royalty who had history, tradition and a seemingly infinite groundswell of belief. They might not have played the better football but both Real Madrid and Juve found a way.

With a kinder draw, Spurs might have fared a little better. Certainly, they were among the most impressive teams of the group stage – one of only four undefeated sides and with wins against Madrid and Dortmund.

That doesn't matter. There is progress or failure on the line and right now, at the last 16, failure's not an option for Juve.

As Barzagli said afterwards, “We are capable of anything, including 50 terrible minutes and then turning the result around. We proved we are tough. Juventus are nothing if not tough."

Spurs are not yet made of such stern stuff.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130779 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Son Heung-Min 39'

Gonzalo Higuain 64'

Paulo Dybala 67'

Round of 16 - second leg

Wembley Stadium - London

Barzagli: 'Juve nothing if not tough!'

074559598-a075a53c-b2ff-4b93-9475-de890d

https://www.football-italia.net/118198/barzagli-juve-nothing-if-not-tough

Mar 7, 2018

Andrea Barzagli admits Juventus had “50 terrible minutes, but we are nothing if not tough” after knocking Tottenham out of the Champions League.

Son Heung-Min had given Spurs the lead at Wembley, 3-2 on aggregate, but Gonzalo Higuain and Paulo Dybala goals in under three minutes turned it around for a 2-1 result in London.

“We are capable of anything, including 50 terrible minutes and then turning the result around. At a certain point, we started playing well and scored two goals,” Barzagli told Mediaset Premium.

“We had to suffer too and were lucky with that upright, but we need luck in this competition!

“At half-time we had to adjust a few things, but above all just had to believe. We started the second half in a bit of a shaky way, but we were facing a really impressive team.

“Juventus proved we were tough and Juve are nothing if not tough.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
Ospite
Questa discussione è chiusa.
Accedi per seguire   

• Chi sta navigando   0 utenti

Nessun utente registrato visualizza questa pagina.

• Crea Nuovo...