Vai al contenuto
Accedi per seguire   
Socrates

Juventus Season 2011-2012

131195 messaggi

imagegoalcomconcept2sub.jpg

Serie A Week 15 - 12-12-2011 (8:45 p.m.)

roma300pixelheader.gif 1 - 1 juventus300pixelheader.gif

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Referee: Daniele Orsato

Attendance: 60000

Antonio Conte declares himself satisfied

with a point from Stadio Olimpico clash with Roma

Juventus coach was pleased with his side's showing in the Italian capital and is grateful

for the point which has returned the Turin outfit to the summit of Serie A.

asromavjuventusfcseriea.jpg

Dec 12, 2011

Juventus coach Antonio Conte claimed that he was content with a share of the spoils after his side's 1-1 draw with Roma at the Stadio Olimpico on Monday night.

The hosts were missing a number of players through a combination of suspension and injury but they went ahead after just six minutes through Daniele De Rossi and, after the Bianconeri had levelled midway through the second half through Giorgio Chiellini, the Giallorossi had a gilt-edged opportunity to reclaim the lead but Francesco Totti saw his spot-kick saved by Gianluigi Buffon.

As a result, Conte was pleased with his players for having accrued a point which has moved them back to the top of the Serie A table, ahead of Udinese on goal difference.

“We created a lot and if people think that we have to win all the time, it means that our stock is rising," the Juve coach told Sky Sport Italia. "I am satisfied; the boys have again given me their all.

"Our first half was good. After six minutes a mistake gave Roma the lead, but then we did well to react, to find the right balance.

“In the middle of the second half, however, we got lost and we did not control the game. We had to be cooler and more rational.

“However, looking at the standings, I must continue to say that we are doing very well, beyond expectation."

Although he was unhappy with the concession of an early goal, Conte refused to point any fingers at his defenders.

“The De Rossi goal? When you concede goals, there is always a defensive error and we will analyse it," he promised.

Up next for Juve is a home game against Novara before they travel to the Stadio Friuli just before the winter break for an eagerly-awaited showdown with surprise Scudetto challengers Udinese.

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Luis Enrique buoyed by Roma's performance against Juventus

and refuses to blame Totti for penalty miss

The under-fire coach wants his players to continue to show the same endeavour

and effort they displayed against the Bianconeri for the remainder of the season.

Dec 12, 2011

Roma boss Luis Enrique was enthused by his side’s display in Monday night’s 1-1 draw with Juventus at the Stadio Olimpico and resisted the temptation to dwell on Francesco Totti’s failure to win the game for the Giallorossi from the penalty spot.

The hosts opened the scoring after just six minutes through Daniele De Rossi only to see Giorgio Chiellini draw the Bianconeri level on the hour.

However, just moments later, Roma were awarded a penalty after Arturo Vidal had felled Erik Lamela in the area, but Totti saw his subsequent effort from 12 yards out saved by Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon.

"The penalty miss was a pity, but Buffon is a great goalkeeper,” Luis Enrique told Sky Sport Italia after the full-time whistle.

“It is right to emphasise this. Just as we must acknowledge the proof that Juventus are very strong.

“I'm happy with my boys; we played a good game. I'm glad I saw the crowd here ready to support us.

“Today we made a great effort [so] let's continue with this attitude.”

The Roma coach, who has come under intense pressure of late after disappointing defeats by Udinese and Fiorentina, singled out Miralem Pjanic for special praise for nullifying the threat posed by Juve’s principal playmaker Andrea Pirlo.

“To stop Pirlo was one of our first objectives; Pjanic did a good job, as did the rest of the midfield,” Luis Enrique said.

The former Barcelona B team boss recalled Pablo Osvaldo for the game after the striker’s one-game ban for striking Lamela during an altercation in the dressing room after the loss in Udine.

Osvaldo, though, was less than impressed with being withdrawn with four minutes to go, but Enrique played down the significance of the incident.

“Osvaldo's reaction? It's nothing. He was angry because he didn’t want to come off. That’s the right attitude,” the 41-year-old Spaniard said.

A positive result in what were difficult circumstances for Roma, who were without a plethora of first-team regulars through a combination of suspension and injury, should ease the pressure on Enrique and he remains determined to finish the job he has started in the Eternal City.

“ I feel the trust of the team, the club and the fans. I will continue to work until they tell me [otherwise], “ he declared.

The point sees Roma climb to ninth in the standings, while Juventus edge above Udinese into top spot.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

logo.png

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Chiellini celebrates point

c3media1389444immaginet.jpg

Dec 12, 2011

Giorgio Chiellini insists Juventus should be proud of their point at the Olimpico. “Considering how things were going...”

The Bianconeri went behind in the first few minutes when Arturo Vidal’s howler allowed Daniele De Rossi to score, then equalised through Chiellini before Gigi Buffon saved a Roma penalty.

“Considering how things were going, this is an important point,” said the defender after their 1-1 draw.

“We had the strength to fight back and try to win right to the end. We allowed Roma more than we should’ve, but overall it was a positive performance that gives strength to the side and puts us back on top of the table.

“Was this a wasted opportunity? Clearly we had come here to win and tried to do that, but everyone struggles in Rome. It’s a long way from saying this is a slip-up.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

logo.png

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Conte: 'Juve fell into chaos'

Dec 12, 2011

Antonio Conte believes Juventus “fell into chaos” during their Roma draw, but they are still doing better than expected.

The Bianconeri had to fight back from an early Daniele De Rossi goal, created by Arturo Vidal’s howler, then saw Gigi Buffon save Francesco Totti’s penalty in a 1-1 draw at the Stadio Olimpico.

“We played well in the first half with intensity, tempo and some important moves, though we could’ve done more on the flanks,” said Conte.

“It’s not easy when you go behind straight away, so we did well to react. I didn’t like the middle of the second half, though, as we fell into chaos.

“We still had lots of chances to score and Maarten Stekelenburg was crucial for Roma. It was a good game, as both I and Luis Enrique had prepared for it well.”

Juventus are joint top of the table with Udinese and Conte does not see this as a missed opportunity against a decimated Roma.

“If I look at the table, then I can say we are doing extraordinary things, well beyond expectations at the start of the season. The fact people think Juve should win all the time shows we have become an important team.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

logo.png

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Enrique: 'I thought Totti...'

Dec 12, 2011

Luis Enrique admits he “clearly expected” Francesco Totti to score the penalty in Roma’s draw with Juventus.

Daniele De Rossi had put them in front and Giorgio Chiellini equalised, but the score remained 1-1 because Gigi Buffon saved Totti’s spot-kick.

“I clearly expected it to be a goal,” confessed the Coach. “I thought Francesco would do what he knows how to do best – score a goal. But he was faced with Buffon, who is an intimidating goalkeeper.

“I enjoyed the first five minutes of the game, then I saw Juve are a great side and their Coach has given them real character. The attitude of my team was wonderful, even with three or more players missing. The fans were also right behind us.”

De Rossi was pulled back into central defence with 19-year-old Viviani given his Serie A debut in midfield, but Roma still seemed more solid than usual.

“We wanted to keep the ball in the first half, but Juventus were putting pressure on us. After conceding the equaliser, we saw that the possession was less balanced and created four scoring opportunities. The team did what the fans wanted to see tonight, so we hope to continue this way.”

There was also controversy, as Pablo Daniel Osvaldo was clearly irritated at being substituted and went straight down the tunnel. This was his comeback after a suspension for punching teammate Erik Lamela.

“I know Osvaldo very well, he is a good man and a spectacular player. He wants to win and it’s normal that he reacts this way. This is the grit I want to see.”

Enrique was also asked about a comment he made during yesterday’s Press conference, in which he said “never say never” about possibly resigning.

“If I look back at the recent history of Roma, then Luciano Spalletti and Claudio Ranieri both resigned. When I talked about this, I said that in football you can never say never, but today I saw a faithful group of fans.

“The club believes I have the opportunity to do something. I will continue working until I see there is a problem with the club.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

logo.png

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Buffon won’t commit to title bid

c3media1389389immaginet.jpg

Dec 13, 2011

Gigi Buffon is remaining grounded after his ‘lucky’ penalty save helped Juventus return to the top of the table.

The Italian international denied Francesco Totti from the spot in the second half of last night’s 1-1 draw at Roma.

“It was an important save at a very delicate moment of the game,” Buffon commented after the Stadio Olimpico encounter.

“When you save a penalty there’s also an element of fortune that’s involved, but we also work on these things because when a player needs to play, he’s obliged to improve on everything.”

The Old Lady are now joint top of the standings with Udinese, two points clear of Milan and Lazio, but the ‘keeper isn’t getting carried away amidst talk of a Scudetto.

“We were also up at the top of the League until Christmas last year,” the former Parma custodian warned.

“In football, a bad month is enough to leave you with a few points and many problems. This is why I’m not getting thrown off course.

“We’ve played 14 games and it’s early to think of having crossed a line that could separate this present time from the past.”

Juve fell behind early in the game last night when Arturo Vidal failed to clear a Daniele De Rossi effort. Giorgio Chiellini equalised after the break.

“It was a bit unjust for us to be a goal behind in the first half because we produced more, while Roma only created one scoring opportunity and perhaps the shot could have even gone wide.

“After the break both teams played an open game and I believe the draw was a fair result. Roma gave their all, also from a character point of view.

“When you come to play at the Olimpico you know that you’ll face a battle and to win it you need to be perfect. Roma are still a threat.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Walter Sabatini salutes Daniele De Rossi

for performance against Juventus

The Giallorossi's sporting director was full of praise for the Italian midfielder,

who performed heroically at centre-half against the Bianconeri at the Stadio Olimpico.

c3media1389376immaginet.jpg

Dec 13, 2011

Roma sporting director Walter Sabatini heaped praise on Daniele De Rossi after the makeshift defender turned in a stirring display in Monday night's 1-1 draw with Juventus in Serie A.

With the Giallorossi missing a host of defenders because of injuries and suspension, coach Luis Enrique was forced to play midfield ace De Rossi alongside Gabriel Heinze at the back.

De Rossi excelled in his defensive role and even managed to open the scoring in the Italian capital before Roma were pegged back by Giorgio Chiellini’s second-half equaliser for Juventus.

“It was almost embarrassing how easy it was for De Rossi to read and understand the defensive situations,” Sabatini told Roma Channel. “De Rossi has given us a big hand tonight.”

As for the player himself, he was happy with the way in which he slotted into the back four but was reluctant to accept the plaudits for what was a wonderful performance.

“I was greatly helped by the entire team,” the Italy international said. “Heinze, in particular, was very close to me.

“But the important thing was to see a team playing together. There were eleven players who were crucial.”

The point takes Roma up to ninth in the standings ahead of their pre-winter break trips to Napoli and Bologna.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

apple-touch-icon_reasonably_small.png

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Juventus and Roma Battle It Out In Showdown of Italian Superpowers

c3media1389433immaginet.jpg

Dec 13, 2011

Juventus F.C. and A.S. Roma are two of the best teams in Italian football. Indeed, they are part of the elite in Calcio, alongside A.C. Milan and Inter Milan. Historically, at least, those four constitute the usual Scudetto suspects. However, lately this has changed.

While only Inter and A.C. Milan have won the Scudetto recently, teams like Napoli, Lazio and Udinese are fighting their way into the upper heights of Serie A. Last year, Napoli spent most of the year towards the top of the table. In fact, until Inter (under Leonardo) recovered from their disastrous Rafa Benitez-led start to last season, Napoli was the second-place team.

The emergence of other clubs into the Calcio elite is not the only change. As anyone who follows Serie knows, Juventus suffered a precipitous decline in long-term form after Calciopoli. They have since recoverd under Conte, but nonetheless their place in Serie A has changed. Granted, they may be on the way back to their rightful place as ''the usual suspects'', but as of now they still have to prove themselves again.

Roma, too, has undergone changes recently. More specifically, the team got both a new owner and coach this summer. The new ownership brought in Barcelona ''B'' coach Luis Enrique, who started an ambitious rebuilding project. Enrique brought in players like Bojan Krkic and Fernando Gago. Bojan came from Barcelona (just like Enrique), while Gago came from Real Madrid, where he was out of favor. This new-look Roma has been attempting to try a Barcelona-esque style of game play, with heavy control of possession.

That said, they have struggled with their new tactics. While they have shown flashes of brilliance, they languish currently in the middle of the table. To make matters worse, three of their best players (Bojan, Gago and their phenomenal centerback Juan) received red cards in last week's 2-0 loss to Fiorentina.

135656204_crop_340x234.jpg?1323737967

Those suspensions, coupled with some injuries, left Roma with a pretty decimated backline. Daniele De Rossi, who is usually Roma's star midfielder, instead substituted as Roma's fine centerback. He performed pretty admirably for someone who was playing out of his usual position.

Regardless of how De Rossi played, going into the game, Roma was not favored by many. The assumption by some was that Juventus would plow through their feeble defense. I was a bit wary of the Roma attack, with Francesco Totti in particular giving me worry. Totti has a reputation as one of the greatest for a reason, and he was sure to show Juventus that.

Now, for the game itself. Roma came in knowing that they had to go on the offensive, as their main weakness was the backline. Juventus, meanwhile, were up to their usual ways, which was heavy possession and frequent attacking play.

It was a true game of monday night football, as the two sides battled for victory. The aforementioned Roma icon Francesco Totti gave Juventus some serious trouble, as he had a pretty big hand in Roma's first goal. His pass to Pablo Osvaldo led to Osvaldo drawing a corner, and then his short passing helped open up the Juventus defense for Daniele De Rossi's successful shot on goal.

Arturo Vidal had a chance to clear De Rossi's shot, but he completely whiffed it. It was an uncharacteristic mistake from the Chilean Sensation (as I like to call him), but he made up for it over the course of the game with his grit and ability.

Roma had done something that neither A.C. Milan nor Inter Milan could do: score first on Antonio Conte's Juventus. Roma may be struggling this year, but do not mistake their table position as a sign of the team's ability. As they showed today, Roma can tango with the big boys.

135656392_crop_340x234.jpg?1323738012

Of course, this is Antonio Conte's Juventus. So the De Rossi goal was followed with two straight corner kicks for Juve. They were not that dangerous, but the point remains that the players did not get distracted by going down a goal, and plowed right ahead in attack.

Clearly, the players remembered the spirit and "grinta" of the Great Neapolitan Comeback. It was only a few weeks ago, so I'm sure they haven't forgotten it.

The first half continued with Juventus making chances for goals, but not scoring any. Both teams had a fair amount of attacking movements against each other, although Juventus looked the more dangerous.

The second half started off with a bang, or rather, a flare. More specifically, a fan threw a flare onto the field. Luckily, a wacky Italian firefighter was there. The friendly firefighter came to the rescue and put out the flare.

Juventus soon had a flair of their own. I'm not talking about the Nature Boy here, though Ric Flair is a great man. I'm talking about a Giorgio Chiellini header going straight into the Roma goal. The inexperienced hodge-podge Roma backline finally buckled under pressure from the Bianconeri. Chiellini was left unmarked, and pounced on the ball to head it goalwards.

Perhaps my favorite memory of the game was the team's celebration after the goal. The microphones were close enough that those of us viewing the game on television could hear the players shouting and celebrating. I will not lie, It gave me a pretty smile.

Still, Vidal currently remains the 2011-2012 season celebration champion. Until his ''shots'' celebration with Simone Pepe is surpassed, Vidal will remain champion. Pepe deserves credit too, but the move was extra ballsy for Vidal, given his troubles involving the Chilean national team.

135657077_crop_340x234.jpg?1323738071

Anyway, back to the match. Chiellini's goal was followed almost immediately with a penalty for Roma. Arturo Vidal took down Erik Lamela in the box, and the referee awarded Roma with the penalty. The dangerous Totti lined up to take the kick, but he was not ready to pass the Buffon Challenge. Buffon blocked the penalty, and Juventus were brought back from the edge of defeat.

Buffon made one more impressive play. In the 83rd minute, Juventus was protecting against a heavy Roma attack. Fabio Simplicio had the ball and was coming right towards Buffon, but Buffon covered him well without fouling him. There very well could have been a goal on that play, had Simplicio passed to Totti. However, Simplicio instead allowed Buffon to shut him down.

Fabio Quagliarella made another appearance. The man is now definitely considered a regular player for this Juventus side. I predict that he will start more games before the winter break, perhaps the game against Novara. Quags did not score, but he had several dangerous attempts.

The newboy Eljero Elia also made an appearance, off the back of getting a fair amount of playing time against Bologna in the Coppa Italia (sorry TIM). Elia is a very, very pacey winger. Indeed, if I were to give him a nickname (one like Mark ''The Sanch'' Sanchez) it would be, quite simply, "Pace." His speed led to one serious Juventus attack, although it quickly fizzled.

Elia, for all his speed and attacking ability, is not a great defender. He really struggled to help Lichtsteiner while defending. This mirrors the struggles last year of Milos Krasic, who excelled offensively (at first) but consistently struggled to cover the right flank on defense.

135657062_crop_340x234.jpg?1323738174

Thankfully, the man who cleans up the mess this year is Stephan Lichtsteiner, one of the best right backs in Italy. Last year, the defensive absence that Krasic often left was supposed to be filled by Marco Motta. Yikes.

Juventus also subbed on Emanuele Giaccherini (though before Elia was put in the game), and he was definitely a game-changer. Though he did not score, he had several pretty serious challenges, including one placed shot that was incredibly close to being a goal. Giaccherini has earned much praise from Antonio Conte lately, and he is only getting better.

Even though there were six minutes of added time (more like Fergie Time in this context), Juventus could not get the winning goal. They spent plenty of time in Roma's half, even during the added time, but nothing came of it.

Antonio Conte said in his post-match press conference that he was pleased with the team. I had hoped that Juventus would score a second goal and secure the win, but I cannot complain with a hard-fought come-from-behind draw. Roma brought their A-game, but it was not enough to defeat Juventus.

Juventus remains the only unbeaten team in Serie A and in Europe. Manchester City were unbeaten in the Premier League for a long while (though they lost to Napoli in the Champions' League) until they lost to Chelsea today.

No one knows how long Juventus will stay undefeated. I have faith in Conte and his players, but the season is still young. This is no doubt one of the top teams in Italy, though.

135672515_crop_340x234.jpg?1323738221

Last year around this time, I made an unfortunate prediction. As Juventus had been riding an unbeaten streak for a while (though it was not nearly as impressive or strong as this year's unbeaten streak), I boldly proclaimed that they were my favorites for the Scudetto. Of course, they immediately capsized after the winter break, and finished in seventh place.

For that reason, I will avoid any bold proclamations at such an early time. The game next Wednesday against Udinese, who are now tied in first with Juventus, should be one more big test for Juventus. They have already successfully passed all of their previous tests, but we will have to wait and see what happens next week.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

logo_ndtvsports_reasonably_small.png

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Juventus gain point to go back to top

c3media1389434immaginet.jpg

Dec 13, 2011

Juventus came from behind to draw 1-1 at Roma on Monday and return to the top of the Serie A table.

Daniele De Rossi had given the hosts an early lead before Giorgio Chiellini equalised in the second half.

But Roma captain Francesco Totti then missed a penalty as Juve stretched their unbeaten start to the season to 14 games.

They are now ahead of Udinese - 2-1 winners over Chievo on Sunday, on goal difference, with AC Milan and Lazio two points further back.

Although Juve had more of the game, goalscorer Chiellini said this was a good point.

"Given how things went this is an important point because it shows that even though we went behind, we fought right to the end for the victory," he told Sky.

"We were lacking a bit of lucidity and we gave away too many counter-attacks but it's a good result and allows us to retake the lead in the table."

Roma came into the game with a selection crisis that saw midfielder De Rossi lined up as Gabriel Heinze's centre-back partner while teenage midfielder Federico Viviani was thrust into a league debut.

Emblematic striker Totti also made his return to the starting line-up with Bojan Krkic suspended.

Although he missed his penalty, Roma coach Luis Enrique said that with the way things have been going for his team they were lucky not to concede in that moment.

"The way things have been going the penalty could have hit the post, come out and we could have conceded a goal on the counter-attack," he said with a smirk.

"I thought Francesco would do what he does best and score but he had (Gianluigi) Buffon in front of him and he's an imposing goalkeeper."

And it was the hosts who came flying out of the blocks with a goal after six minutes, although it was one Juve's Arturo Vidal won't want to see again.

Totti crossed from the left and found De Rossi 15 yards out, but all the makeshift centre-back could do was awkwardly help it goalwards on the volley.

The ball was heading straight to Vidal and bounced in front of him but the Chile midfielder's wild swipe completely missed the ball and Buffon was left to watch in horror as the ball sneaked inside the post.

From there on it was all Juve in the first period.

Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg had to save smartly from Alessandro Matri.

Then Roma's makeshift full-back Rodrigo Taddei produced a carbon copy of Vidal's air-swipe only this time the ball ran to Marcelo Estigarribia 20 yards out and Stekelenburg came to his team-mate's rescue.

Vidal hit a speculative effort wide before slipping in Simone Pepe who's shot on the turn was poor and caused Stekelenburg few concerns.

The goalkeeper then claimed a header from Stephan Lichtsteiner and held onto a low Andrea Pirlo free-kick.

Heinze made a crucial sliding interception from Pepe's cross to deny Matri a simple tap-in.

Juve equalised just past the hour mark throguh Chiellini's determination, reacting quickest to Estigarribia's scuffed, bouncing shot to beat Stekelenburg to it and head home.

And yet moments later Roma had a penalty when Vidal, who was not having the best of days, was adjudged to have brought down Erik Lamela.

But Buffon read former international team-mate Totti's spot-kick perfectly and beat out the powerful hit.

Roma were doing better than they had in the first half and Pablo Osvaldo chipped just over the bar after a neat turn on the edge of the box.

Up the other end Vidal, who in fairness had played much better going forwards than he had backwards, teed up Lichtsteiner who side-footed into the side-netting.

And Stekelenburg came to his side's rescue right at the death as he came out to block Fabio Quagliarella who had been slipped in by Eljero Elia.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

logo_ansa_interna.gif

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Juve see bright side after missed opportunity

Turin team held 1-1 at struggling AS Roma

c3media1389449immaginet.jpg

Dec 13, 2011

Juventus looked on the bright side after missing the chance to go two points clear at the top of Serie A when they were held 1-1 at struggling AS Roma on Tuesday.

Juve's Giorgio Chiellini cancelled out Daniele De Rossi's early opener soon after the hour mark and then keeper Gianluigi Buffon saved a Francesco Totti penalty to ensure the Turin side maintained their unbeaten record this season.

The tie puts Juve joint-top alongside Udinese with 30 points from 14 games, two points more than champions AC Milan, who are third.

"If I look at the standings, I see we are doing great things," said coach Antonio Conte, a former Italy and Juve midfielder who is aiming to end years of disappointment for the Turin giants after taking over in the closed season.

"It's beyond the rosiest hopes we had at the start of the season".

"It's beautiful that we haven't seen our opponents celebrate (a victory) yet. And the fact Juve are always expected to win now, shows we're more highly rated".

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

titlepiece.gif

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Juventus and Roma battle out a draw in the third dimension

The first Serie A match to be broadcast in 3D was a curious 1-1 draw at the Stadio Olimpico,

but both Juventus and Roma will take encouragement despite a raft of missed chances.

c3media1389469immagineo.jpg

Dec 13, 2011

Roma v Juventus became the first ever Serie A fixture broadcast live in 3D on Monday night, but even as TV executives were toasting this bold step into the future many of the pundits they employed were coming over all nostalgic. In commentary booths and studios, on talk shows and the news, everybody seemed to agree: the best football this season had been played strictly in black and white.

Not only did Juve come into the game at the Stadio Olimpico as the division's only unbeaten side but even they began the evening behind another team of Bianconeri. Udinese had taken up sole occupancy of first place on Sunday afternoon by beating Chievo while Milan were being held in Bologna. Not bad for a club who sold a €26m (£22m) forward (Alexis Sánchez), as well as their best central midfielder (Gökhan Inler) and centre-back (Cristián Zapata) in the summer.

"You start 1-0 down against Udinese because [Antonio] Di Natale scores a goal every time," complained Chievo's on-loan striker Alberto Paloschi after seeing the pint-sized poacher set his team on the way to another victory. Di Natale, Serie A's top goalscorer in each of the past two seasons, has now struck an incredible 67 times in his last 84 league outings. Yet if his team are soaring it is as much to do with a defence who have conceded only seven times in 14 games – by some way the best record in the division.

Not that the manager, Francesco Guidolin, has been getting ahead of himself, steadfastly refusing to entertain the notion that his team might be a title contender and insisting that in the end it will be another battle between the division's richest clubs. "Speaking with Guidolin about the Scudetto has the same effect as involving a father in a conversation about the possible sex life of their 15-year-old daughter," notes Paolo Blasotti on the website of regional newspaper Il Friuli.

Yet it has been a similar story over at Juventus, too. While a club boasting Serie A's highest transfer spend over the past three years (as illustrated by the football finances blog Swiss Ramble) could hardly plead poverty, the Old Lady's manager Antonio Conte has instead used successive seventh-place finishes as justification for refusing to entertain any title talk. So frustrated did one giornalaccio rosa dello Sport reporter become with this line that he opened his article after Juventus's win over Lazio last month by simply demanding: "So now what are we supposed to talk about?"

It was a question that seemed destined to be repeated as Juventus arrived in Rome. Victory would have moved them not only back ahead of Udinese but also four points clear of the defending champions Milan, still most bookies' favourites for the title. There was much cause for optimism: Juventus had not lost at the Stadio Olimpico since 2004 and were up against a Roma team who had won just five of their opening 13 games under Luis Enrique and were at this stage described by Tuttosport as being held together by little more than "plasters and good hearts".

Already stricken by injuries to Simon Kjaer, Nicolás Burdisso, Marco Cassetti, David Pizarro and Fabio Borini, Roma's squad had been stripped even thinner by the suspensions dished out to Bojan Krkic, Fernando Gago and Juan following their red cards against Fiorentina. With each of his top three centre-backs missing, Enrique had little choice but to plug Daniele De Rossi in at the position even though doing so deprived his midfield of its most dynamic component.

Yet if such a move appeared to risk surrendering the initiative to Juventus, fate was to intervene. Barely five minutes had elapsed when Roma won a corner on the left, Francesco Totti exchanging passes with Miralem Pjanic before flighting a beautiful ball across the area for De Rossi running into space on the far side of the penalty spot. His volley back across goal lacked venom and ought to have been cleared by Arturo Vidal on the line, but instead the Juventus midfielder sliced the ball into his own net.

Thereafter Juventus would dominate the first half yet only rarely threaten an equaliser. The two managers' shared preference for hoarding possession had been noted in the build-up to this game, with Juventus having held 61.1% of the ball and Roma 59.5% on average across their previous fixtures this season. The knock on the Giallorossi was that despite coveting the ball they typically failed to do much with it, outscored by Juventus over the opening 13 games by 24 to 15. And yet here it was Conte's team who lacked incision.

That had to do with some impressively destructive, if unrefined, work from Leandro Greco in front of the Roma back four, as well as Pjanic's intermittent success in pressuring Andrea Pirlo, but also with Juventus's own flaws. With Milos Krasic and Eljero Elia not yet reaching the levels demanded by Conte and hence struggling to break into the side this season, the one knock on this Juventus side has been a lack of creativity – a shortage of fantasia. When Pirlo is not producing, so the theory goes, Juventus lack the guile to unpick a resolute opponent.

It is an argument which might have been overplayed – the team, after all, have outscored every other side in the division besides Milan – but with Claudio Marchisio failing to match his recent excellent form and Simone Pepe putting in an unusually subdued performance an equaliser certainly did not appear a foregone conclusion. If anything, Roma had been beginning to look comfortable with their lead when Marcelo Estigarribia shanked a volley into the ground and the ball bounced up kindly for the alert Giorgio Chiellini to charge in and head home.

There was time yet for further drama, Roma immediately winning a penalty at the other end after Vidal brought down Fábio Simplicio, only for Totti – restored to the starting line-up for the first time since 1 October – to see his penalty saved by Gigi Buffon. Elia, introduced very late on, then played in Fabio Quagliarella with an impeccable through-ball only for his fellow Juventus substitute's shot to be saved by Maarten Stekelenburg. In the end, neither team could find a winner.

That made for some confusion in the press box as reporters struggled to fit the result to a narrative. Juventus could hardly be unhappy to remain unbeaten after 14 games – the first time they have managed such a feat in the era of three points for a win – but had expected more against such a depleted opponent. Roma had shown spirit to draw with the league leaders with a makeshift line-up, but would surely lament the missed penalty that could have given them the win.

Certainly Enrique seemed happy to accentuate the positives after two days in which it had been reported – and then promptly denied – that the new owner Thomas DiBenedetto was having second thoughts over his ownership of the club, and in which the manager's own "never say never" response to a question about whether he might resign sparked a flurry of speculation. "I only said that because that's how football is, you don't know what could happen," he explained at full-time. "The last two managers of Roma were two great coaches, but both [Luciano] Spalletti and [Claudio] Ranieri resigned."

Enrique has always insisted that he would walk away from the post if he felt he no longer had the club's full support, but despite being heckled by fans after last week's defeat to Fiorentina there is no question that the new owners continue to back him, as does the general director, Franco Baldini. Pablo Daniel Osvaldo might have thundered off down the tunnel in a huff after being substituted on Monday night, but the board gave Enrique their explicit support when he decided to suspend the player for hitting his team-mate Erik Lamela after the defeat to Udinese last month.

"It's normal that he wasn't happy. This is the rage I want from my players," insisted Enrique of Osvaldo of the substitution, and he was similarly dismissive of reporters' questions regarding whistles heard from one section of the home support at Stadio Olimpico. "The only angry person I heard was my wife because I hadn't cleared the table at home," he joked.

Of course there had been some jeers, and for many Roma fans the jury remains out on Enrique. There were also many more, however, who applauded at the final whistle, and this morning's edition of Il Romanista (The self-proclaimed: "Newspaper of the most fanatical fans in the world") celebrates Roma as having responded to their recent difficulties "like a great team".

The matter, in other words, is far from black and white. Unlike the top of the Serie A table.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

logo.png

Daniele De Rossi (6')

Giorgio Chiellini (61′)

Olimpico Stadium - Rome

Suspensions after Roma-Juve

Dec 13, 2011

Three players have been suspended for Week 16 – two from Juve and one from Roma – after last night’s 1-1 draw in the capital.

The League leaders will be without midfielder Arturo Vidal and defender Leonardo Bonucci for the tie against Novara.

Boss Antonio Conte has numerous solutions to replace Vidal, but Bonucci’s absence is likely to see Giorgio Chiellini used in the middle with Paolo De Ceglie coming in at left-back.

The Giallorossi, meanwhile, will face a daunting away trip to Napoli without Bosnian midfielder Miralem Pjanic.

Roma, though, will have midfielder Fernando Gago back after he was banned for last night’s Olimpico clash.

Daniele De Rossi should also be allowed to resume in his normal midfield position after being used as a centre-back versus the Old Lady.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

c3media1389429immaginet.jpgc3media1389433immaginet.jpg

c3media1389434immaginet.jpgc3media1389444immaginet.jpg

c3media1389445immaginet.jpgc3media1389446immaginet.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

c3media1389353immaginet.jpgc3media1389355immaginet.jpg

c3media1389377immaginet.jpgc3media1389356immaginet.jpg

c3media1389380immaginet.jpgc3media1389379immaginet.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

c3media1389381immaginet.jpgc3media1389389immaginet.jpg

c3media1389390immaginet.jpgc3media1389393immaginet.jpg

c3media1389421immaginet.jpgc3media1389422immaginet.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

c3media1389431immaginet.jpgc3media1389432immaginet.jpg

c3media1389436immaginet.jpgc3media1389447immaginet.jpg

c3media1389450immaginet.jpgc3media1389449immaginet.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

c3media1389469immagineo.jpgc3media1389308immagineo.jpg

c3media1389321immagineo.jpgc3media1389477immagineo.jpg

asromavjuventusfcseriea.jpgasromavjuventusfcseriea.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

asromavjuventusfcseriea.jpgasromavjuventusfcserieai.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

asromavjuventusfcserieao.jpgasromavjuventusfcseriea.jpg

asromavjuventusfcseriea.jpgasromavjuventusfcserieav.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

asromavjuventusfcserieah.jpgasromavjuventusfcserieag.jpg

asromavjuventusfcseriea.jpgasromavjuventusfcserieay.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

logo.png

Serie A Week 16 - 18-12-2011 (3:00 p.m.)

juventus300pixelheader.gif - novara300pixelheader.gif

Juventus Arena - Turin

Referee: Andrea Gervasoni‎

Conte changes for Piemonte derby

Dec 17, 2011

Antonio Conte is keeping Juventus on their toes ahead of the first Derby di Piemonte in 55 years against Novara.

“A victory tomorrow would be very important for us, but we have great respect for Novara, who are doing very well,” said the Coach in his press conference.

“I know them well, having faced Novara last season in Serie B when I was in charge of Siena. They want to achieve something special and it’s up to us to ensure that doesn’t happen. Novara deserve to be in Serie A.”

Conte has to reshuffle, as Arturo Vidal and Leonardo Bonucci are suspended, joining the injured Mirko Vucinic in the stands. There are reports Paolo De Ceglie could take left-back, returning Giorgio Chiellini to the centre, with Alessandro Del Piero and Emanuele Giaccherini stepping in.

“It is the first time we have to do without three first team players and we tested out a few options. I am relaxed, because whoever is called upon to do their duty will give their all to prove themselves. This is what I expect from my players, especially those who are further down the pecking order, as they know that order is easily changed.”

Juve are joint top of the table with Udinese, who face a very tough test against Lazio this weekend, so could well be the lone leaders by Sunday evening.

“We mustn’t look at the table, even if we are doing extraordinary things. We want to end the year knowing our work has gone beyond the rosiest expectations, but the important thing is not how you start. It’s how you finish.”

Conte was also asked about reports Juventus are challenging Milan and Paris Saint-Germain for Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez.

“Others within the club take care of the transfer market. I have many responsibilities.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

Juventus Arena - Turin

Referee: Andrea Gervasoni

Antonio Conte relaxed ahead of Novara meeting despite first-team absentees

Juventus coach is not too downbeat about the prospect of facing the newly-promoted side

without a number of his first-team regulars

Dec 17, 2011

Juventus coach Antonio Conte has played down the impact of the club's injury and suspension list ahead of Sunday's Serie A encounter against Novara, claiming he is relaxed about the prospect of having to tinker with his squad.

Arturo Vidal and Leonardo Bonucci are both suspended for the game, joining Mirko Vucinic in the stands as the Montenegrin striker is currently out injured.

Giorgio Chiellini could revert back to centre-half in the absence of Bonucci with Paolo De Ceglie set to start on the left side of defence, and Conte is confident about trying out different players.

"It is the first time we have to do without three first-team players and we have tested out a few options. I am relaxed because whoever is called upon to do their duty will give their all to prove themselves," the former midfielder told reporters during his press conference.

"This is what I expect from my players, especially those who are further down the pecking order as they know what order is easily changed."

Despite being near the top of the league for the whole season, Conte is cautious of Novara who were promoted in the summer.

"I victory tomorrow would be very important for us, but we have great respect for Novara who are doing very well," he added.

"I know them well, having faced Novara last season in Serie B when I was in charge of Siena. They want to achieve something special and it's up to us to ensure that doesn't happen. Novara deserve to be in Serie A."

Juventus currently sit top of the table on goal difference ahead of Udinese, who face Lazio on Sunday evening.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
131195 messaggi

Juventus Arena - Turin

Referee: Andrea Gervasoni

Serie A Preview

The Bianconeri will be looking to extend their impressive 14-match unbeaten run

in the league when they welcome the newly promoted outfit to Turin on Sunday.

Dec 17, 2011

PROBABLE LINE-UPS

JUVENTUS

3_48x48.jpg

Buffon

Lichtsteiner, Barzagli, Chiellini, De Ceglie

Marchisio, Pirlo, Giaccherini

Pepe, Matri, Del Piero

NOVARA

978_48x48.jpg

Ujkani

Morganella, Dellafiore, Ludi, Gemiti

Centurioni

Marianini, Radovanovic, Rigoni

Mazzarani, Meggiorini

Antonio Conte does not have many injuries worries ahead of the match as Mirko Vucinic is the only player sidelined but the 42-year-old coach will be missing the services of Arturo Vidal and Leonardo Bonucci through suspension. Emanuele Giaccherini looks poised to start on the wing, while Alessandro Del Piero should get the nod upfront.

Novara boss Attilio Tesser has the luxury of choosing from a fully-fit squad as he looks to spring a surprise over Juve on Sunday.

DID YOU KNOW?

The Bianconeri have keep three clean sheets at the Juventus Stadium this term.

Juventus are unbeaten at home this season (W5 D2) and have outscored their opponents 16-5 in the process.

158320_news.jpg

The Turin outfit have won five games by a one-goal margin in the 2011-12 campaign.

Novara have picked up just two wins against Juve in their last 24 Serie A encounters (W2 D9 L13).

The Serie A newcomers are winless on their road travels this season (W0 D2 L5).

Attilio Tesser's men have conceded 14 goals.

Last Five Matches

Juventus

Dec 12, 2011 - Roma 1 - Juventus 1 - Serie A

Dec 8, 2011 - Juventus 2 - Bologna 1 - Coppa Italia

Dec 4, 2011 - Juventus 2 - Cesena 0 - Serie A

Nov 29, 2011 - Napoli 3 - Juventus 3 - Serie A

Nov 26, 2011 - Lazio 0 - Juventus 1 - Serie A

Novara

Dec 11, 2011 - Novara 1 - SSC Napoli 1 - Serie A

Dec 5, 2011 - Lazio 3 - Novara 0 - Serie A

Nov 29, 2011 - Catania 2 - Novara 3 - Coppa Italia

Nov 26, 2011 - Novara 2 - Parma 1 - Serie A

Nov 20, 2011 - Genoa 1 - Novara 0 - Serie A

Players to Watch

50_186x236.jpg

Andrea Pirlo

The midfield metronome has kept things ticking in the middle of the park and should be able to dictate the rhythm of play against the underdogs on Sunday afternoon.

13471_186x236.jpg

Marco Rigoni

The veteran midfielder has been sensational for the newly promoted club so far this season. The 31-year-old leads the team in scoring with five goals and will need to add to his name to the scoresheet if Novara hope to pull off an upset in Turin.

Prediction

The league leaders should have no problem extending their unbeaten run with a straightforward win over the Serie A new boys in Turin.

Editor's Prediction

3_30x30.jpgJuventus 3 - 0 Novara978_30x30.jpg

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
Ospite
Questa discussione è chiusa.
Accedi per seguire   

• Chi sta navigando   0 utenti

Nessun utente registrato visualizza questa pagina.

• Crea Nuovo...