Vai al contenuto
Socrates

Andrea Pirlo

130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Pirlo: I hope Conte stays at Juventus

The Italy midfielder is hopeful the team and coach can continue
their good work together after lifting a third successive Scudetto.

May 15, 2014

Andrea Pirlo hopes coach Antonio Conte will follow him in agreeing a new deal to stay with Juventus.

Juve have been crowned Serie A champions for the third consecutive time under the coach but the 44-year-old has hinted he could leave the club this summer.

Pirlo, though, hopes the former midfielder will, like him, sign a new deal with the Turin club and says his side hope to become the first Italian team to finish with more than 100 points in the league.

"He took us to three league championships in a row and has given us so much," he told Sky Sport Italia. "Hopefully the next game will not be his last.

"At the end of the season he is tired and wants to go on holiday. You have doubts, but I and all the people connected to Juventus hope to continue this adventure together with him.

"My renewal? We have more or less reached an agreement, I hope the announcement is given in a few days.

"One hundred and two points would be a unique achievement, we have this great opportunity and we will not let it escape us."

On Wednesday night, Sevilla lifted the Europa League in the Juventus Stadium after beating Benfica on penalties in the final. And Pirlo spoke of the disappointment of seeing another team win the competition on his side's field after they were eliminated in the semi-final by the Portuguese outfit.

"There is a big regret of not being able to play the final in our stadium, because I think that Juve are stronger than Benfica and Sevilla," he explained. "It was one of our goals after we were knocked out of the Champions League.

"We were not able to reach it but it was still an important step in going a step further next year.

"Besides, it's not easy to win in Europe. Watch PSG and Manchester United. Football is this: you play a lot, but one team wins."

The 34-year-old turned his attention to Italy's World Cup campaign as the competition in Brazil approaches.

"The minimum goal is to go through to the knockout stages, then we'll see, anything can happen.

"Brazil are the favourites, they are a good team, but in football everything is to play for.

"How much of a factor will the climate be? Huge, but this is an important factor for everyone else as well."

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Pirlo backs Conte, Chiellini

May 15, 2014

Andrea Pirlo hopes Sunday is not Antonio Conte’s last game in charge, as he defends Giorgio Chiellini and outlines World Cup ambition.

Juventus face an uncertain period as they conclude a third consecutive Scudetto-winning season, with Coach Antonio Conte indicating that he may be prepared to walk away in the summer.

For the team’s central playmaker, hope remains that this is not the case.

“He has given us so much and I hope that Sunday is not his last game in black and white,” Pirlo has told Sky Sport 24 today.

“In three years he has taken us to three League titles, so I hope it is not his last game.

“And my own future? More or less we have reached an agreement on the contract, I hope the announcement is made in the next few days.”

Pirlo considered how the Bianconeri have managed to finish ahead of the rest once more this term and in doing so achieve a new points record of 99, which could be extended into treble figures after Week 38.

“It’s an important milestone. We have the opportunity to reach 102 points and we will not let it escape us.

“Our strength? In a team that was already united in spirit we have inserted Tevez and Llorente.

“But the winning factor has been the spirit of our group, the unity between the players and the Coach.

“The Europa League? It is a big regret, because I think that Juve are stronger than Benfica and Sevilla. Unfortunately we did not succeed.

“But the experience can be seen as a step in making it better.

“Winning in Europe is not easy, look at teams like PSG and Manchester United. Football is like this - a lot of teams play, but only one team wins. To win, it takes a serious project.”

Attention has focused this week on Giorgio Chiellini, having caught Miralem Pjanic with an elbow during Roma-Juventus last weekend, picked up a three-game ban, but avoided falling foul of Cesare Prandelli’s code of ethics with the national team.

“These are questions that belong to the Coach. For me it was not a violent act. Football is a contact sport. But it is the Coach who must evaluate the code of ethics.”

The World Cup will be Pirlo’s final major tournament with the Azzurri and he has reflected on expectation heading out to Brazil.

“The minimum objective is to progress from the group stage. Then we will see what will happen. Brazil is favoured but in football anything can happen.

“How much will the climate play its part? A lot, but this is an important factor for us and for everyone.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

2wg6lhu.png

Andrea Pirlo 'close to signing new Juventus deal'

May 15, 2014

Juventus playmaker Andrea Pirlo has said that he will sign a new contract with the Italian club in the coming days.

The 34 year-old's contract expires in the summer and reports had suggested that the former AC Milan midfielder could be on his way out of Turin.

However, the veteran has moved to quash those rumours and has suggested that he will sign a new two-year extension with the Seria A champions.

"More or less we have reached an agreement," Pirlo told giornalaccio rosa dello Sport.

"I hope the announcement will be made in the coming days."

The Italian international, who joined Juve from AC Milan in 2011, has been included in Italy's World Cup squad.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

'I can't even throw a ball
compared to Pirlo' - Verratti

The young Italian says he has a lot he can still learn from the Juventus
veteran and has admitted that he would like to play alongside Paul Pogba.

May 17, 2014

Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti has insisted that he has not done enough to warrant comparisons with Juventus star Andrea Pirlo.

The young Italian has quickly become a star at the Parc des Princes, leading to critics hailing him as the long-term successor to the former AC Milan man.

However, Verratti says he does not want to let any praise get to his head and has stressed that he still has a lot to learn.

"Until last year, we were comparing us but now we're playing time in a different position," he told Tuttosport.

"But to get to that level takes time. Compared to Pirlo, I can't even throw a ball. I like to learn from him about what to do ahead of time."

Juve's Paul Pogba has been widely linked with a move to PSG, and Verratti admits that he would like to line up alongside the young Frenchman.

"Juve are not a club who sell their champions," he said. "Pogba is already a champion and I'm sure he'll become even stronger.

"Juve want these plays so they can have them, not to sell them. I like to play with great players and I'd like to play with someone like him."

Verratti turned down Juve to sign for PSG and insists that he has no regrets over the move after picking up the award for the best young player in Ligue 1.

"Up until now, we've had two great years, winning four titles so it was a great choice. The award was a great satisfaction personally. It's important to be voted by my colleagues."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Pirlo: 'Now the Champions League'

May 18, 2014

Andrea Pirlo wants to win the Champions League with Juventus, urges Antonio Conte to stay and reveals his free kick secrets.

The midfielder sat down with Tuttosport newspaper to discuss this record-breaking campaign, as this afternoon against Cagliari they can become the first Serie A team ever to amass over 100 points.

“Winning three consecutive Scudetti is a memorable achievement, but perhaps not everyone realises that because people think the Champions League is the primary target and get distracted,” said Pirlo.

“However, they need to understand that winning in Italy is not easy, especially three titles in a row. This season is even more historic, as we can go into triple figures.”

The Bianconeri had two stabs at European glory this term, but went out of the Champions League in the group phase to Galatasaray and missed out on the Europa League Final on home turf because of Benfica.

“In Europe we did not achieve what we wanted to, but will try again next year, as the principle objective this term was to win the Scudetto again.

“It was painful to lose the Europa League like that, but you learn from defeats. The lesson we took away is that in Europe you must always be concentrated and on point. Never get distracted and do not underestimate any opponent.

“In Lisbon we should’ve scored a second goal, but lost concentration and conceded instead. In the second leg Benfica were smart in their approach to the game. We need to learn from them.”

Conte has warned he will walk away if Juve do not guarantee a squad competitive enough to challenge for the Champions League.

“My dream is to win the Champions League, but it’s not easy when you look at the revenue of clubs like PSG and Manchester City who can’t reach the Final either,” continued Pirlo.

“You need luck as well as an important project, which we do have. Right now there is a little chaos around Conte, but I think it will all settle down soon.

“I don’t see any particular tension, so the two parties will make the best decision. I hope Conte stays, as he is a very talented Coach who demands a great deal and gives it back too. He reminds me of Diego Simeone, they both drag teams along with them.

“Juve simply cannot do any better in Serie A, but for Europe that’s down to the club.”

Pirlo arrived in Turin as a free agent after 10 years at Milan and has agreed a new deal with the Bianconeri.

“My renewal will be announced in a few days. I reached an agreement on a two-year contract and we are just waiting for the right time to confirm it.

“The negotiations weren’t difficult, they were only tricky because we had so many games that we didn’t have time for meetings. I never had doubts and didn’t even look at other options.

“I didn’t think I would remain at Juventus for five years, but this will become my second longest club spell after 10 years at Milan.

“There are no ‘sated’ players at Juventus. We still want to win and the hunger is not lacking, not even for Gigi Buffon and I who have already won so much.

“Playing to win is the only gratifying factor. I still have fun and love this sport, I get to training in a good mood and like staying with my teammates. When I no longer have that joy, I think I’ll retire. Football has to be fun as well as work.”

With this in mind, he had some words of advice for 20-year-old Paul Pogba, who is at the centre of a bidding war.

“Staying here would give him the opportunity to continue growing in the right environment. He’d risk arriving at a new club with the huge expectations linked to the price-tag. If they pay the same as for a striker, they’d expect a goal per game.”

Pirlo is famous for his free kick prowess and revealed he works hard at maintaining that reputation.

“I have four or five different ways of kicking the ball and decide which one to use while I am organising the wall. I study free kicks on the Internet or TV and train once a week in a specific style.

“I saw a player in Brazil who actually lay down behind the wall to make sure the ball couldn’t go underneath. Mad.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Pirlo: 'Credit to Conte'

May 18, 2014

Andrea Pirlo said “much of the credit” goes to Antonio Conte for a record-breaking 102-point Juventus run.

“We beat every record, amassed 102 points and it will be almost impossible for anyone to repeat that.

“This was an extraordinary campaign and crowned by this victory,” Pirlo told Sky Sport Italia after a 3-0 win over Cagliari.

The entire second half was dominated by supporters waving banners calling for their Coach to remain.

“It was a lovely show of affection from the crowd towards Conte and we hope it can all be resolved over the next few days.

“Much of the credit for these trophies goes to Conte, as he picked up a team fresh from finishing seventh twice and won three Scudetti in a row.”

This is a new top five European League record of 102 points.

They are also the first Serie A side to end a campaign with a perfect home record.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

VIDEO: Party animal Pirlo!

May 20, 2014

Andrea Pirlo, the Juventus and Italy man who never loses his cool, calm, collected demeanour. Unless he’s partying on an open-top bus!

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Pirlo & Storari to sign extensions

May 26, 2014

Andrea Pirlo will sign an extension with Juventus after Italy’s friendly against Luxembourg, it has been revealed.

Tuttosport believe that the midfielder will take a private jet to Turin after the game on June 4 to pen a two-year extension with the Bianconeri.

All the details are thought to have been agreed, with the Azzurri international set to earn €4.5m per season.

The 35-year-old will then return to the rest of the squad, before they travel to Brazil for the World Cup.

The paper also claims that Marco Storari will also pen a new one-year deal with Antonio Conte’s men.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Verratti: I can play with Pirlo

The 21-year-old says he is versatile enough to play in the Azzurri midfield alongside
the Juventus star and admitted Riccardo Montolivo's injury has shaken up the whole team.

Jun 2, 2014

Marco Verratti has spoken of his delight at being included in Cesare Prandelli's 23-man Italy squad for the World Cup and insists he can play alongside Andrea Pirlo.

Prandelli announced his final squad on Sunday night, with the 21-year-old Paris Saint-Germain midfielder making the cut. His inclusion came as a surprise to some, who feel his participation in the tournament will be limited because of his similarity to Andrea Pirlo.

However, the youngster believes he is versatile enough to play alongside the Juventus star and cement a spot in the Italy midfield.

"There isn't a midfield role I prefer, for three years now I have had several tasks and positions," he told reporters.

"I still believe that playing alongside Pirlo is possible, it is impossible for others as they aren't comfortable with a player like Andrea.

The former Pescara player also touched on the injury Riccardo Montolivo picked up in Italy's friendly with Ireland, which has ruled him out of the competition.

"I can’t imagine what Riccardo is going through at the moment," Veratti added. "His injury has shaken us all up a bit, but now we have to take this opportunity that has been offered to us by the coach."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

England must shackle 'world's
greatest playmaker' Pirlo, warns Scholes

The Manchester United legend recalls Park Ji-Sung's effective marking of the Italy star
in the Champions League in 2010 and sees Danny Welbeck as a useful option for such a role.

Jun 5, 2014

Former England star Paul Scholes warns that the Three Lions must put pressure on Andrea Pirlo in their World Cup opener against Italy.

Hailing the Juventus midfielder as "the world's greatest playmaker", the Manchester United legend feels that Roy Hodgson's side must learn from their mistakes in the quarter-finals of Euro 2012, when the Azzurri progressed on penalties.

Scholes sees Danny Welbeck as a good candidate to start the game in Manaus in order to make life difficult for Cesare Prandelli's key man.

Writing for the Paddy Power Blog, the 39-year-old said of Pirlo: "He's the world's greatest playmaker – the complete footballer.

"Give him time and space and he will destroy you. He's such a clever player and is so composed. If surrounded he'll lay it off. If he's got room he's devastating.

"Even though England's Euro 2012 game against Italy finished 0-0, we paid nowhere near enough attention to him. Roy Hodgson seems to have underestimated him, which surprised me given Alex Ferguson's tactics against Pirlo previously.

"In 2010, before United played AC Milan in the Champions League, Sir Alex gave very specific instructions on how to take care of Pirlo.

"Man-marking him was a huge part of our pre-game plan - I played against Pirlo when Milan beat us 3-0 at San Siro in 2007. We didn't man-mark him. He destroyed us. We learned and it was painful. Park Ji-Sung was the perfect man for Pirlo in 2010 and never gave him a kick [as United beat Milan 7-2 on aggregate].

"For Manaus, we need an English Park Ji-Sung - one England player designated to man-mark him. Looking at the squad, Danny Welbeck (a good defender who can nick the ball well) could be an option and would be a bold decision, one which gives England a creative outlet and saddles Pirlo with defensive work."

Being vexed by Park in 2010 left a mark on Pirlo, who wrote in his 2013 autobiography that Ferguson's tactic caused him to lose respect for the Scottish great.

"Even Sir Alex Ferguson, the purple-nosed manager who turned Manchester United into a fearsome battleship, couldn't resist the temptation," fumed the Italy international.

"He's essentially a man without blemish but he ruined that purity just for a moment when it came to me. A fleeting shabbiness came over the legend that night.

"The midfielder must have been the first nuclear-powered South Korean in history. Even though he was already a famous player in his own right, he consented to being used as a guard dog, willfully limiting his own potential."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

‘Alongside Baggio, Pirlo greatest’

Jun 5, 2014

Gianluigi Buffon has compared Andrea Pirlo’s ‘genius’ to that of Roberto Baggio and made clear Italy’s match with England is ‘not a play-off’.

In an extensive interview with the Guardian in which he discusses the particular traits to being a goalkeeper, the 36-year-old also had words for his Juventus and Azzurro colleague Pirlo, who is retiring from international duty after the World Cup.

“Pirlo is a genius. Together with Baggio, I think he’s the greatest talent that Italian football has produced in the last 25 years,” Buffon commented in the interview released this week.

“You can try and adopt the right countermeasures to contain him. But you know that in any given moment he can break the bank and everything you thought you knew [about stopping him] is worthless.”

Buffon also considered Italy’s opening Group D match at the World Cup, against Roy Hodgson’s England in Manaus on June 14.

“It’s the first game. Then there’s another two. It’s an important game. Not a play-off.

“I’ve never lost to England? Nor against Germany. I’ve played them five times and never been beaten.

“Capita! It happens!”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

'Stadium worth 10 points a season'

Jun 7, 2014

Andrea Pirlo believes that Juventus’ new stadium is worth ’10 points a season’ and credits Carlo Ancelotti for ‘raising’ his game.

The Bianconeri won their third straight Scudetto last season becoming the first Italian side ever to break the 100-point barrier.

And the midfielder has credited the newly-built ground for taking the Old Lady to the next level.

“The new stadium is worth 10 points a season,” he told John Foot in the Financial Times.

“It doesn’t have barriers and the crowd is close to the pitch, but nothing bad happens. And nothing bad ever happens in England either.

“Everything has changed here. It’s more of a family atmosphere. It’s a day of sport. The whole climate is different there.”

The regista then went on to praise Ancelotti, who was Pirlo’s boss at Milan, and former teammate Pippo Inzaghi.

“Ancelotti moved me to a new position and helped me raise my game.

“Pippo knew when I would make a pass and I knew how he would move. We could understand each other’s positions without looking at each other.”

The 35-year-old concluded by moving on to penalties, and revealed how he decides where to put the spot kick.

“I decide then and there. Not before - I am not worried about particular goalkeepers.

“I don’t take them into consideration, beyond their position. I decide on the basis of what is happening around me, the ‘context’, and this leads me to make different decisions.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Hodgson: More to Italy than Pirlo

The Three Lions coach insists he will not only focus on "top class" playmaker and delivers
assurances over captain Steven Gerrard's fitness ahead of World Cup opener in Manaus.

Jun 10, 2014

By Greg Stobart in Rio de Janeiro

England manager Roy Hodgson insists his side will not get "hung up" on the threat of Andrea Pirlo despite the Italy midfielder’s "top class" ability.

The Three Lions open their World Cup campaign against Italy in Manaus on Saturday in a repeat of the Euro 2012 quarter-final, when Pirlo was the man-of-the-match as the Azzurri triumphed on penalties in Kiev.

“Andrea is someone I know very well and he is obviously a top, top class player,” Hodgson said in a press conference at England’s training base in Rio de Janeiro.

“I think it’s quite normal that people focus on him but there are a lot of other players in that Italy team that are worthy of contention too.

“We are focussing on Italy the team and the quality they have. We are not getting hung up on one player because Prandelli will tell you that his team are not totally dependent on Pirlo, even though I’m sure he thinks he’s as good a player as I do.”

Hodgson also insisted that his captain Steven Gerrard will be fully fit to play against Italy despite leaving training early on Monday with an apparent groin problem.

Midfielder Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain is making steady progress as he recovers from a knee injury and could be fit to take part in England’s second game of the tournament against Uruguay on June 19.

Hodgson added: “I don’t really understand the Steven Gerrard one – I don’t know what was wrong with him. He did some extra running and there is absolutely nothing wrong with him.

“Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will be stepping up his training programme during the course of the week. The medics are hopeful he will be fit by the second game [against Uruguay].”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Pirlo signs new Juventus deal

The midfield veteran will remain with the Serie A champions for a further
two seasons after committing his future to the club ahead of the World Cup.

Jun 11, 2014

Andrea Pirlo has handed Juventus a boost by signing a new two-year deal with the club.

The 35-year-old is preparing to star at the World Cup with Italy, but has reached an agreement with the Bianconeri that extends his association with the Serie A champions until 2016.

Pirlo arrived at Juventus Stadium in May 2011 after being released by AC Milan, and has gone on to enjoy something of an Indian summer in the latter stages of an illustrious career.

The former Inter and Brescia man has made 131 appearances for the club and lifted the Serie A title in each of the last three seasons, as well as adding two Italian Super Cups to his CV.

Last season, Pirlo was again one of Juve boss Antonio Conte's star men, scoring eight goals in all competitions and weighing in with a further six assists for his team-mates.

Perhaps most impressive, is a pass completion rate of close to 90 per cent across three seasons at the club, revealed in stats released on the club's official website.

Pirlo will be one of the first names on the team sheet when Italy take on England in their World Cup opener in Brazil on Saturday night.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Official: Pirlo signs Juve extension

Jun 11, 2014

Juventus have confirmed that Andrea Pirlo has signed a contract extension that will keep him at the club for another two years.

The Italy international has become one of the lynchpins of a record-breaking Bianconeri team since joining from Milan in 2011.

The 35-year-old has won three consecutive Scudetti under Antonio Conte, and has enhanced his reputation has one of the greatest midfielders in Europe.

And this morning the Turin side have revealed that Pirlo has put pen to paper on a deal that keeps him with the Old Lady until 2016.

“The fantastic story of Andrea Pirlo and Juventus continues,” a statement read.

“The Professor has signed a new contract that will tie him to Juventus until June 30, 2016.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Juninho: Pirlo a free kick demon

Jun 11, 2014

Free kick maestro Juninho Pernambucano has admitted that Andrea Pirlo is now the new king of the set piece.

The Brazil international is widely believed to be one of the greatest free kick takers of all time with, according to Who Scored, a conversation rate of just over 16 per cent.

But the 39-year-old has claimed that the Italian veteran can now be considered the master.

“Pirlo is a demon,” he told Sport TV. “He has not only copied my shot, but improved it.

“If I was still playing I’d try and get hold of him, and ask him to teach me that technique.”

Pirlo has recently signed a two-year extension at Juventus, but will first try and fire Italy to World Cup glory in Brazil.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Pirlo: Italy must be careful
against improving England

The veteran Juventus midfielder says that the Azzurri "know how to face" Group D
opponents, though he urges caution against the Three Lions' young, fast starlets.

Jun 14, 2014

Italy midfielder Andrea Pirlo has warned his team-mates that they can expect to face a different and much-improved England side than the one whom they sent crashing out of Euro 2012.

The two sides meet in Manaus on Saturday in their opening game of the World Cup, a repeat of their quarter-final clash two years ago in Kiev, in which the Azzurri progressed after a penalty shootout.

But Pirlo is not taking the Three Lions' threat lightly, highlighting the emergence of youth within England's ranks, though he is confident that Cesare Prandelli's men are capable of coming out on top.

"We know England are a good team that has improved a lot," he told reporters.

"They have new, young players, who are fast. We will have to be careful.

"However, we know how to face them. Italy have always played great games against England and hence we will have our chances."

Pirlo was instrumental in Italy's victory over England in Ukraine, famously completing more passes than Roy Hodgson's entire midfield combined, but he insists that the four-time World Cup winners are more than a one-man team.

"This national team is not Pirlo-dependent," the 35-year-old argued. "In order to go all the way you need everyone's contribution.

"Our aim should be to win and go until the end. We have a very competitive team and we will give our all to win this tournament. I never compete to take part but to finish first."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

'No masterplan for England to stop Pirlo' - Cahill

The Three Lions defender claims Roy Hodgson's side will not give the Italy
playmaker any special attention in their World Cup opener in Manaus on Saturday.

Jun 14, 2014

By Greg Stobart in Rio de Janeiro

England defender Gary Cahill claims there is no plan to stop Andrea Pirlo in the World Cup opener against Italy on Saturday.

The Three Lions take on Italy in the Amazon city of Manaus in a repeat of the Euro 2012 quarter-final, when Pirlo produced a man-of-the-match display before the Azzurri won on penalties.

Much has been made of how Roy Hodgson’s men will try and handle Pirlo in the Group D clash on Saturday – but Cahill insists they will not give the 35-year-old playmaker special attention.

“I don’t think there is a masterplan,” said the Chelsea defender when asked about Pirlo’s threat. “We’re respectful of what he’s done and what a player he is but our message is about how we want to play and approach the game – we want to control the game.

“I think the key is to be organised and solid at the back, and to give our more creative players the ball to create opportunities. That’s the plan.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Pirlo hails 'courageous' Italy

The midfielder was pleased with how his side imposed themselves on England in their
Group D encounter, believing they delivered an impressive display in spite of the heat.

Jun 15, 2014

Andrea Pirlo expressed his pride at captaining Italy to victory over England on Saturday and praised the courage displayed by his team-mates.

Mario Balotelli scored a second-half header to give the Azzurri a 2-1 win after Daniel Sturridge had levelled the game following Claudio Marchisio's 25-yard drive.

Pirlo, who led the side in the absence of the injured Gianluigi Buffon, indicated that he was impressed with how Italy carried out their game-plan, especially considering the heat and humidity of the Amazonian city of Manaus.

"I was the captain of a courageous Italy," the 35-year-old told reporters after the game.

"An Italy that wanted to play good football and impose its style on England. We had a good game despite the terrible heat. We know that we are a strong team, despite the many difficulties, and we can go forward."

The Juventus midfielder also gave his approval to Cesare Prandelli's strategy of playing him alongside Marco Verratti in the centre of the pitch.

"The important thing was to win and we did it," he continued.

"I had a great time playing alongside Marco. During the first half we did very well, and it is right to continue along this path."

Italy play Costa Rica on June 20 before finishing their Group D campaign against Uruguay on June 24.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Pirlo: 'Courageous Italy'

Jun 15, 2014

Andrea Pirlo was proud to be “the captain of a courageous Italy that wanted to impose its style on England.”

The midfielder wore the armband in last night’s 2-1 World Cup victory in Manaus, as Gigi Buffon was injured.

“I was the captain of a courageous Italy that wanted to play good football and impose its style on England,” Pirlo told media.

“I think that we did that for the first half and a large portion of the second half too. It was a great game, despite suffering in the heat.

“We are a good team and we can go forward.”

Pirlo also gave the thumbs up to the new double playmaker system that sees him partner heir apparent Marco Verratti.

“I was happy playing alongside Verratti and it’s right to continue along this path.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

People talk too much about Balotelli - Pirlo

The Italy midfielder believes the AC Milan striker is placed under too much scrutiny
by the media and should be judged on his performances rather than his private life.

Jun 15, 2014

Andrea Pirlo has criticised the press for the constant attention placed on Italy forward Mario Balotelli, insisting the player must be left in peace.

The former Manchester City and Inter striker comes into the World Cup with expectations on his shoulders, with plenty of supporters concerned he will not recapture the form he showed in the Euro 2012 semi-final win over Germany despite scoring 14 in 30 Serie A games for AC Milan last season.

However, Pirlo believes that the 23-year-old needs to be given time and space to mature without the media glare if he is to fulfil his potential as a footballer and urged reporters to judge him solely on his displays on the pitch.

"I think we talk too much [about him], about anything and everything," the 35-year-old told a press conference.

"He is a young player, he is good, but you have to give him some air. When he goes to the toilet, there is no need to fill pages about Balotelli going to the toilet. Everything he does ends up in the newspapers and I think that is unfair.

"He must be judged solely on what he does on the field. The press spoke and now there are huge expectations around him. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not. He still has to mature and grow, but he will get there probably much quicker if left in a little peace. "

Pirlo remains a vital part of the Azzurri set-up and was a World Cup winner in 2006 when they overcame France in the final, but he stressed he is not an essential player for Cesare Prandelli's side.

"When I'm on the field, actions pass by me," he continued.

"I help the team play differently. But the team is also able to play very good matches without me."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Pirlo today, Pirlo tomorrow

Andrea Pirlo’s future with Italy continues to hang in the balance, but
Livio Caferoglu is keen to see the midfielder remain part of the country’s present.

Jun 28, 2014

As the dust settled on Italy’s miserable World Cup campaign, so did the unfathomable realisation that Andrea Pirlo may never don the famous Azzurri jersey again.

Prior to the World Cup, Pirlo had stated that his international career would be coming to an end once his sojourn in Brazil was over. His reasoning that the time had come for younger players to take centre stage was wholly understandable, given his advancing years and widespread calls for younger players to be entrusted.

After a second performance of epic proportions against England in an opening 2-1 victory, the Italians became expectant and placed their trust in the evergreen star. The country had just given the best passing display seen at a World Cup in 48 years - an accolade not possible without Pirlo’s contribution.

However, his influence wavered in their remaining group matches, and the nation promptly crashed out at the first hurdle for the second time running. But the 35-year-old gave a glimmer hope to his compatriots when he announced that all may not be lost: “If the new Coach asks for my availability, I would willingly return.”

Ever since his debut in 2002, Pirlo has been the most important member in La Nazionale’s development. While the likes of Francesco Totti and Alessandro Del Piero, arguably more stylish contemporaries, spent their Italy careers stealing the headlines, the midfielder was quietly at work, laying the foundations for a glorious era in the Azzurri cycle.

In the current Italy set-up, Pirlo’s role of regista has begun to diminish, as the entire team is instructed to maintain possession. Although he continues to dominate the centre-circle, his mobility has evaded him. His mental sharpness has only increased with experience, meaning he is still able to orchestrate attacks at free will – providing his team-mates offer ample movement around him.

Before the reign of Cesare Prandelli, the Azzurri were known primarily as a counterattacking team, built on the ideals of catenaccio. Pirlo’s primary role under Marcello Lippi was to release the ball quickly on the break. It may not sound that ravishing, but the ability to remain calm and make a split-second decision in the pressure cooker of international football cannot be underestimated.

Following on from the 2010 debacle, Prandelli engineered a shift in Italy’s style of play – one which certainly plays to the strengths of an ageing Pirlo. The former Fiorentina boss once again made Pirlo the focal point of his philosophy, which has been to turn the side into a team that can relentlessly adapt itself to the opponent while remaining in control at all times.

Yet there are certain issues with Pirlo’s continued indispensability. Prandelli’s approach has faced criticism for a variety of excesses - too similar to the Spanish tiki-taka system that has nosedived in efficacy over the past 18 months, too much tactical convolution and too much reliance on the No 21 to “make a magic pass” in the words of Brazil great Zico.

Pirlo’s impact has also suffered at the hands of heavy pressing. Two of the world’s fittest sides, Spain and Bayern Munich, carried out their best efforts to stifle the midfielder, and it rendered Italy and Juventus one-dimensional, as they recorded convincing defeats in both Euro 2012 and the Champions League without reply. However saddening it may be, his brilliance has been clouded by sentiment at times.

Lippi blindly entered the South African World Cup in the hope that the class of 2006 could repeat their heroics of four years prior, without a contingency plan to boot. Still, it’s hard to blame Pirlo for their joint failures. The ex-Milan ace was ruled out for most of the group stage due to injury and can’t be held accountable for the lack of another creative presence on the pitch.

But Pirlo is like a fine wine, as Juventus have seen since grabbing him on a free transfer from Milan three years ago. The creative heartbeat for both club and country, there still isn’t an equal and may never be another of his ilk. With that in mind, his availability crucially bides Italy some extra time in moulding their plans for the future.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

swcy9l.png

Pirlo's Juve future in doubt?

Jul 16, 2014

Andrea Pirlo’s Juventus future could be in doubt, with reports that Massimiliano Allegri will take charge.

Antonio Conte announced his resignation as Bianconeri boss last night after falling out with the club over transfer strategy.

As such, the champions have acted quickly in lining up a successor, with stories emanating that the former Milan man has agreed a two-year deal.

But that news could throw Pirlo’s future in Turin in doubt, at least according to Tuttosport.

The paper believes that the veteran midfielder could angle for a move away following their previous indiscretions.

Pirlo was shown the door at San Siro by Allegri back in 2011, but has gone on to become the lynchpin of Juve’s three title wins.

The sports daily claims that the Italy international is uneasy about working with the 46-year-old again, but the tactician is desperate to heal old wounds and keep his star man.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

Allegri: I don't have a problem with Pirlo

The former AC Milan boss claims that he has a good relationship
with the Italy international after they fell out during their time at San Siro.

Jul 17, 2014

Massimiliano Allegri has insisted that he does not have a problem with Andrea Pirlo in the wake of his appointment as Juventus coach.

Pirlo and Allegri have endured a difficult relationship ever since the midfielder left AC Milan in the summer of 2011, with the Italy international arguing that the 46-year-old preferred to play the likes of Massimo Ambrosini and Mark van Bommel in midfield, thus effectively forcing him out.

The influential midfielder eventually went on to join Juventus, whom he guided to three consecutive Serie A titles, but Allegri's appointment as Antonio Conte's successor means the two are reunited three years after they last worked together.

"I have always enjoyed a great relationship with him," Allegri said at a press conference. "Andrea was, and still is a champion. When he was at Milan with me, he went through that season which wasn't particularly lucky for him considering that it was plagued with injuries. But, in fact, he always played when he was fit.

"Unfortunately, in football sometimes you think that things might go one way but eventually they take an unexpected turn or head in another direction. As I have explained a thousand times, in the end it just happened. The club, Andrea and I met and he decided to join Juventus and now I am lucky enough to link up with him again after three years.

"He has enjoyed some unforgettable years here at Juve and now I consider myself lucky enough to find [myself working with] him once again. He had a great World Cup, played three fantastic seasons, so I am lucky.

"I've never experienced any problem with Andrea and I can justifiably state that I've never called his qualities into question, otherwise people could justifiably say that I am a fool."

Pirlo has a contract with Juventus until June 2016.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130805 messaggi

34e7ujn.jpg

Pirlo: Allegri Preferred Other
Players Over Me At AC Milan

Jul 17, 2014

The arrival of Massimiliano Allegri to Juventus has raised concern as to whether the new coach will get along with former player Andrea Pirlo.

Allegri and Pirlo shared a difficult relationship during their time together at the San Siro as the AC Milan coach seemed to prefer Massimo Ambrosini and Mark van Bommel in the midfield position leading to the departure of Pirlo to Juventus in 2011.

“The real reason for my transfer was that Allegri wanted to place Ambrosini or Van Bommel in front of the defence and I would have had to change positions,” Pirlo told giornalaccio rosa dello Sport in an interview in May 2012.

“I said no thanks and I chose Juve, who offered what I felt was more motivation. It was not an economical issue.

“Milan decided I was not needed anymore. I understood that right away during our talks. Allegri preferred other players in my position.

The 46 year old coach won the Serie A title in his first year in charge of the Rossoneri in 2010-11 but a disappointing 2013-2014 campaign saw Milan finish eight and Allegri fired before the end of the season.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti