3008tqs.jpg

May 1, 2014 - 9:05 PM
Juventus Stadium - Turin
Referee: Mark Clattenburg (England)

Random thoughts about Juventus
and European competition

sll3eh.jpg

May 2, 2014

There is a reason why there was no post on this site on Friday. Your boy needed to think about a few things. And not just think about how to live a long, somewhat stress-free life when I root for a team like Juventus, but also what exactly happened Thursday night against Benfica and resulted in Juventus players sporting sad faces in many of pictures available to us.

The simple way to put it: Juve didn't get to the final of the Europa League when EVERYBODY thought they were the favorites to win the whole damn thing.

Another simple way to put it: Juventus need to improve in Europe.

Now that all of you are thinking something like "Thanks, genius." I'll try and elaborate a little bit more than just sounding like a complete dope.

Juventus are one of the select few teams this season that can say they've been eliminated from two European competitions within the span of a couple months. I'm pretty sure that's something they didn't want to be saying at the beginning of the season when Antonio Conte sat down for one of his first press conferences back in August and September.

There's reasons why Juventus are here. You don't enter the season as a sleeper to do damage in the Champions League and then not even make it to the knockout stage. You don't fall into the Europa League, get picked the thing and then fall short of making the final.

Juventus are dynamite in Italy — which is good, and also bad. But when it comes to Europe, something just isn't right.

(And, just for the record, I'm still pissed off about Thursday's game. Yeah, so much for not caring about a second-fiddle European competition. So close, yet so far, I guess.)

Juventus' manager is still learning how to coach in Europe

Antonio Conte isn't perfect — but we pretty much knew that already. And if you didn't think he's not perfect, then I don't know what to tell you.

Conte can be stubborn about things we want him to possibly reevaluate. Conte can be somewhat frustrating when it comes to squad selection some of the time. And yet, there's also this: Conte, the player and the manager, is one of the best things to happen to Juventus in recent memory.

While it's tough to ignore what some of Juventus' managers have done in Europe over course of the past couple of decades, is it fair to compare Conte to them? In some ways yes, in some ways no. Conte is damn good at what he does, but it's apparent that his ability to show the same kind of results he gets in Italy on the European stage.

And if that means adapting, then so be it.

There should be some tactical flexibility

I'm not saying ditch the 3-5-2 completely. Let's not forget that even when Juve went 4-3-3 in the second half against Benfica on Thursday night, it's not like things magically changed and it went from sluggishness to absolute jubilation offensively.

But for every game like that, there's a 4-3-3 sample of when Juve played Real Madrid toe-to-toe in two Champions League group stage game. You know, the same Real Madrid team that just advanced to the Champions League final. It seems like those two games were years ago, not all of five months ago, doesn't it?

Simply going 4-3-3 won't solve all of Juve's apparent problems. Neither will sticking with the 3-5-2. Either way, a mix of the two won't be the worst thing in the world. It would just be nice to see the same kind of willingness to go from one formation to another we saw in Conte's first year. That's what we call tactical flexibility, ladies and gents.

Juventus need to change their European mindset in a hurry

Restoring the classic Juventus grinta became a staple of Conte's first year as Juventus manager. And in that sense, he has proven he can do exactly that. But when it comes to the early goings of the group stages in the Champions League, Juve have been 2 for 2 in starting out like total crap.

They got away with it the first time around, but obviously not this year. The sluggish start bit Juve right in the backside and is one of a handful of reasons why Juve didn't even get into the knockout stages of the Champions League. It's one thing to draw against a team of Real Madrid's caliber, it's another to struggle to a draw against FC Copenhagen.

Nobody expected European dominance right off the bat. Well, maybe a few people, but that's just silly. But nobody expected struggling against Danish sides for two straight years, either. While it's true you can't take any team lightly in Europe's biggest competition, there's also a reason why they're games considered Juventus should win. And until they actually do beat the worst team in the group twice, there's still going to be plenty of motivation to pull our hair out.

Juventus need better squad depth from top to bottom

Yes, the struggles in Europe aren't solely on Conte (as much as some people don't want you to believe that). Juventus have been playing a whole lot of games this season. And up until a few weeks ago, it was pretty much the same group of players starting every single game.

It doesn't really matter what formation Conte deems as his default one next season. To have the tactical flexibility, Juve need players that are able to adapt. And that means no Simone Padoins around next season as much as it might be depressing to lose the official human victory cigar.

I'm not saying Juventus need to go out and spend €100 million this summer just to say they did. Beppe Marotta is good at what he does because he finds himself some good deals. And for every deal he makes — Carlos Tévez, Andrea Pirlo, Fernando Llorente — the base is there. You improve the bench, you bring in a really good winger, and now we're talking some serious aspirations.

Juventus acutally learn from both European exits this season

To be honest, I was thinking the same thing last year when Juve were throttled by Bayern Munich over two legs. But there's a pretty big difference between this season and 12 months ago: That Bayern team were an absolute machine who took no prisoners and demolished just about every squad in sight, Juve have pretty much themselves to blame in this year's European woes.

It's understandable and reasonable to say Juventus need to say learn from their mistakes in Europe the past two years. And while I'm always going to be Mr. Optimism, until those mistakes are, ya know, corrected, there will always be at least a little bit of skepticism.

I guess it just all comes full circle. Conte learn from mistakes. Management learn what they need to improve the squad. The players learn to not lose to annoying Danish teams they have no business losing to. Full circle, folks. Hooray, hooray.

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

288cggz.jpg

JUVENTUS 0 - 0 BENFICA
(Agg 1-2)

3008tqs.jpg

May 1, 2014 - 9:05 PM
Juventus Stadium - Turin
Referee: Mark Clattenburg (England)

Buffon: 'Benfica didn't humiliate Juve'

339u73b.jpg

May 3, 2014

Gigi Buffon maintains Juventus were beaten “but not annihilated” by Benfica in the Europa League.

The Bianconeri went out of the semi-final 2-1 on aggregate after a goalless second leg in Turin on Thursday.

“These were two very balanced games and in boxing terms we deserved more on points,” the goalkeeper told Sky Sport Italia.

“They were two matches in which the details made the difference in these cases you can win or, as happened to us, you can lose.

“We were not humiliated or made people change their view of us. We played on a par with Benfica. They did well to go through, but we were not annihilated.

“Benfica are a side who, if I’m not wrong, are sixth in the European club rankings and yet we played at the same level and probably deserved to qualify. We have to compliment them for their progress.”

Benfica will play the Europa League Final against Sevilla at the Juventus Stadium on May 14.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

May 5, 2014 - 9:00 PM
Juventus Stadium — Turin
Referee:‬ Andrea De Marco

Garcia: 'Scudetto race is over'

May 3, 2014

Roma Coach Rudi Garcia admits “the Scudetto race is over” regardless of their result in Catania, “but we’ll play to win anyway.”

It kicks off on Sunday at 15.00 CET at the Stadio Massimino.

Despite nine consecutive victories, the Giallorossi are still eight points adrift of Juventus and the title could be assigned on Monday if Atalanta lose in Turin.

“Could our victory in Catania put pressure on Juve? No, the Scudetto race is over,” shrugged Garcia in his Press conference.

“Our result won’t change anything, but we’ll play to win anyway, as we want to extend our winning streak. It’ll be tough on their home turf, but we want to play well and give our all, even if it’s meaningless in terms of the title.

“We compliment Juve, a great club with great players. Their record-breaking campaign is in part down to us and vice-versa.”

Roma already set a new club record of points in a single Serie A season, but Juventus are on track to amass 100 points – something no team has ever achieved in this Division.

Despite their domination in Italy, Juve were knocked out of the Europa League semi-final by Benfica on Thursday and consequently the Portuguese League will surpass Serie A in the rankings.

“Serie A is very tough and I can tell you Portugal isn’t very difficult, so you can rest many players and still get results. You can’t do that here.

“Last season Benfica lost all three chances of silverware at the last hurdle. Now they are back in the Europa League Final and as such have already won, because this is the path to follow. We haven’t won anything yet, but must surf on this positive wave.”

http://www.goal.com/en/results-standings/69/italy-serie-a/table?ICID=SP_TN_111

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Conte: 'Scudetto and Coppa shock'

May 4, 2014

Antonio Conte prepares the Scudetto party in Juventus-Atalanta, but inevitably was shocked by the Coppa Italia Final chaos.

The Bianconeri need only a victory – or for Roma not to beat Catania this afternoon – in order to secure the title. It kicks off on Monday at 21.00 CET.

“The important thing isn’t when or how the Scudetto arrives, but that it does arrive,” said Conte in his Press conference. “I achieved promotion with Bari when watching television.

“The Scudetto is always special, especially a third in a row, as that had never happened to us before. Even legendary Coaches were unable to get three consecutive titles, but I am a realist and until I have the Scudetto trophy in my hands, I will not celebrate.”

Roma Coach Rudi Garcia confessed the title race “is over” in his Press conference on Saturday, complimenting the Bianconeri on their record-breaking campaign.

“I have always given praise to Roma for their excellent season, as their performance pushed us on to give our best too,” added Conte.

“We have an antagonist of a very high level that is forcing us to keep our foot firmly on the accelerator. I always complimented Roma and will continue to do so.

“Similarly, I feel the need to compliment Napoli and Fiorentina for last night’s Coppa Italia Final. I hope next season these teams can do well in Europe and help Italy to climb back up the rankings. We must make Italy important at a European level again.”

Juventus had hoped to boost the rankings, but were eliminated in the Europa League semi-final by Benfica, so Portugal leapfrogged Italy.

“I watched that game back and the sensations I had from the touchline were correct. I am very satisfied with the growth of my team and its consolidation in Europe.

“Dropping down into the Europa League helped us to grow, as it was the first time for many in the squad. We still proved we are on a par with the big clubs and have what it takes to challenge in the major competitions.

“I did complain about the referee, but I did so after the game, not beforehand like our opponents. I still think we deserved more.”

Conte inevitably commented on the chaotic scenes in Rome last night, which saw the Coppa Italia Final delayed by 45 minutes because three Napoli fans were shot by a local man in the Tor di Quinto area of the city.

The game only went ahead after intense negotiations between police, clubs, local authorities and more importantly the ultra leaders in the Stadio Olimpico.

“The problem is that periodically something happens, we all get angry and it becomes news, but then nobody does anything.

“Slowly the situation is getting worse and worse, so we must be careful not to just be moralistic when the incident happens, but to come together and build something.

“We talk and talk and talk, but it just exasperates the whole situation. The signs we are sending out are not the best from the system, those who set the rules and the football authorities.”

After the game there was a pitch invasion from Napoli fans, as stewards were warned beforehand not to try stopping them.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Juventus-Atalanta Preview: Bianconeri

on brink of third successive Serie A title

Antonio Conte's side can clinch the Scudetto if they beat Stefano Colantuono's
charges, who have done well against big clubs this season

May 4, 2014

An unlikely set of circumstances could mean that Juventus will have already won the Serie A title by the time they face Atalanta on Monday.

The Bianconeri are eight points clear of second-placed Roma with three games remaining and will definitely claim a third straight Scudetto with a win in Turin.

However, a shock win for bottom club Catania against the capital club on Sunday will hand Juve the title prior to the visit of Stefano Colantuono's men.

But, with Catania having claimed just five league wins all season, the more probable scenario is that Antonio Conte's men will need three points to make sure of a 30th Italian top-flight championship.

That will be no easy feat for the hosts against an Atalanta side that have already claimed the scalps of Inter and Napoli this season, and held Roma to a 1-1 draw back in December.

Juve will take confidence from their performance in the reverse fixture in Bergamo, which saw them cruise to a comfortable 4-1 success.

And the Turin club should have extra motivation to give their fans something to celebrate after missing out on a place in the Europa League final, which is to be held in their home stadium.

Juve could only manage a 0-0 draw against nine-man Benfica in an ill-tempered second-leg of their semi-final clash, the Portuguese champions progressing to the showpiece 2-1 on aggregate following a contest that also saw Juve's Mirko Vucinic sent off.

And defender Leonardo Bonucci is keen for Juve to display resolve and immediately bounce back from their European disappointment.

"We go out with our heads held high, but we need to move on quickly and think about writing many other important pages in our club’s history," the centre-half told Juve's official website.

"We'll look ahead with positivity and the desire to clinch a third consecutive Scudetto."

Juventus have no significant injury worries ahead of the encounter, while Atalanta will be able to welcome back Carlos Carmona and Mario Yepes from suspension.

Midfielder Maxi Moralez is set to return from an injury that kept him out of last weekend's 1-1 draw with Genoa, but Luca Cigarini is banned.

The stalemate with Genoa ended a run of three straight defeats for Atalanta, who sit 11th in the table, and Colantuono is eager to finish the season on a high.

"We can't allow ourselves to lose motivation; we want to finish the season well," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"We ended a negative streak and want to carry on in that vein even if we know that our remaining fixtures aren't easy."

Head to Head

Serie A ‎-‎ Dec 22, 2013 - Atalanta 1 - 4 Juventus
Serie A ‎-‎ May 8, 2013 - Atalanta 0 - 1 Juventus
Serie A ‎-‎ Dec 16, 2012 - Juventus 3 - 0 Atalanta
Serie A ‎-‎ May 13, 2012 - Juventus 3 - 1 Atalanta
Serie A ‎-‎ Jan 21, 2012 - Atalanta 0 - 2 Juventus

Last Five Matches

JUVENTUS en_drawn.pngen_won.pngen_lost.pngen_won.pngen_won.png

May 1, 2014 - Juventus 0 - 0 Benfica - EL
Apr 28, 2014 - Sassuolo 1 - 3 Juventus - Serie A
Apr 24, 2014 - Benfica 2 - 1 Juventus - EL
Apr 19, 2014 - Juventus 1 - 0 Bologna - Serie A
Apr 14, 2014 - Udinese 0 - 2 Juventus - Serie A

ATALANTA en_drawn.pngen_lost.pngen_lost.pngen_lost.pngen_won.png

Apr 27, 2014 - Atalanta 1 - 1 Genoa - Serie A
Apr 19, 2014 - Atalanta 1 - 2 Hellas Verona - Serie A
Apr 12, 2014 - Roma 3 - 1 Atalanta - Serie A
Apr 6, 2014 - Atalanta 0 - 2 Sassuolo - Serie A
Mar 29, 2014 - Bologna 0 - 2 Atalanta - Serie A

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

MATCH PREVIEW

May 4, 2014

Juventus will be crowned Champions of Italy if they overcome mid-table Atalanta, who appear to be out of European contention.

The finish line is in sight for Antonio Conte’s Bianconeri. When they looked sluggish against Sassuolo and fell behind to Simone Zaza’s early goal, a lesser side may have crumpled in the Reggio Emilia rain. Juventus responded. Carlos Tevez equalised before half-time, followed by well taken goals from Claudio Marchisio and Fernando Llorente.

They may have rounded the final corner, but Conte knows that while Roma are a mathematical chance, his side must be methodical in their approach to claim three-in-a-row. They face the Bergamo club just days after suffering Europa League heartache and elimination at the hands of Benfica. The Bianconeri will look to take their frustrations out on Atalanta.

Conte has a full squad to choose from in what may be the Scudetto clincher, with Arturo Vidal recuperated from a recent knee injury.

Atalanta saw their tilt at Europe halted with a 1-1 draw against Genoa. They may not have even got that, were it not for Giuseppe De Luca’s late – and offside – equaliser. It didn’t look like being their night when German Denis had a second half penalty saved. Yet the draw ended a three match losing streak, with Atalanta now 11th. Five clubs are ahead of them in the European reckoning.

Nerazzurri official Pierpaolo Marino promises the Bergamaschi will ‘honour’ the match. While he admits the Europa League dream has vanished, he is not buying into the recent war of words between Conte and Roma boss Rudi Garcia over a perceived lack of effort from smaller clubs when facing the Turin giants.

Riccardo Cazzola, Maxi Moralez and Franco Brienza are all sidelined through injury, while Luca Cigarini will stay at home due to suspension. Marko Livaja remains on the outer.

Juventus have enjoyed total dominance in this fixture, winning 33 times to Atalanta’s four in 51 encounters. This includes last season’s 3-0 drubbing.

Keep an eye on: Giacomo Bonaventura (Atalanta) – Long linked with the Bianconeri, a good performance could thrust Bonaventura back into the minds of those at the Turin club. The winger continues to be one of the Nerazzurri’s outstanding players.

Form guide: Juventus (L W W W W) Atalanta (W L L L D)

Last season: Juventus 3-0 Atalanta

Stat fact:
German Denis may be Atalanta’s top scorer for the third season running, but he is yet to score against Juventus in five matches. That tally further extends to his time at Napoli and Udinese.

JUVENTUS (probable): Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Pogba, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asamoah; Llorente, Tevez

ATALANTA (probable): Consigli; Benalouane, Yepes, Stendardo, Del Grosso; Estigarribia, Baselli, Carmona, Bonaventura; De Luca, Denis

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

JUVE CAMPIONI D'ITALIA!

May 4, 2014

Juventus have mathematically won a third consecutive Scudetto, as Roma were crushed 4-1 in Catania.

The Bianconeri don’t play their Serie A game until Monday night against Atalanta, but that is now irrelevant.

Roma needed a victory in Sicily to keep the race alive, but were humiliated 4-1 by the bottom of the table club.

Antonio Conte’s men had already won the title in 2011-12 and 2012-13, but become the first Juventus team to win three consecutive Scudetti since the 1930s.

It also means next weekend’s showdown between Roma and Juventus can be played without the pressure of a result.

This is officially Juve's 30th Scudetto, so they will be allowed to put a third gold star on their jerseys from now on.

The club considers it to be their 32nd, as two were revoked in the Calciopoli scandal in 2004-05 and 2005-06.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hERBuq97-QQ#t=44

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Record makers: Unstoppable Juventus creating
history with third straight Scudetto

The Bianconeri's magnificent campaign has deservedly seen them
clinch a third straight title, despite Roma's extensive challenge.

May 4, 2014

Even before the season began, most onlookers seemed resigned to the probability that Juventus would clinch a third straight Scudetto in 2013-14. Largely pointing to the continued weakening of Serie A in the list of leading domestic competitions, the Bianconeri were deemed to be the only quality side in an otherwise ailing league.

But the Turin outfit’s triumph, clinched thanks to Catania's shock 4-1 victory over Roma on Sunday, was a much more spectacular effort than many believed would be necessary. That they had to wait until they had racked up 93 points before celebrating the title win says much about the effort that was required to become only the fourth team ever to claim a hat-trick of Serie A wins.

Nobody could have foreseen the form of Roma over the course of the season. The Giallorossi shocked the whole of Europe by winning their opening 10 games, and suffered only their third defeat in 36 games in Sicily on Sunday such has been the extent of their revolution under Rudi Garcia. Coming up against that kind of opposition, Juventus had to be at their very best to win the Scudetto.

But that is exactly what they did.

A sensational 30 wins in 35 games have put Antonio Conte’s side on the verge of recording Italy’s first-ever 100-point haul. While in the Champions League they foundered without even a whimper, in Serie A they were sensationally consistent.

Conte is a hard task master. He demands nothing less than 100 per cent effort, and it has been that unwillingness to ask for anything but the best that has at times hindered their hopes on the continent. But his fostering of a win, win and win again attitude has been the main factor in Juve’s latest title success.

The coach’s reaction to the 2-2 draw at Verona in February said much about his obsession for perfection. Despite boasting a comfortable lead at the top of the table, the loss of two points from 2-0 up was a source of great anger for Conte.

“It's inexplicable,” he said to reporters after the game. “Matches like these last 95 minutes, and not 45.

“We could've done a lot, lot better. It leaves me perplexed how we could dominate the game for the first half and then end up like this.”

Andrea Pirlo talks in his autobiography of a stirring speech from Conte on his first day at the club.

"We need to do whatever it takes to pull ourselves up and start being Juve again," the boss had told his players. "Turning round this ship is not a polite request; it's an order, a moral obligation."

And they have fulfilled that. He demanded that they beat every team because they were simply better than everybody else. They are now within a pair of victories against Atalanta and Cagliari of recording a 100 per cent home record over the entire season. And away from home, they have been almost as clinical at times. Games like the one against Verona were notable for their rarity.

In Gianluigi Buffon, they still have the best goalkeeper in Italy. Their regular back three of Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci and Andrea Barzagli has been broken up a little more than in recent years but yet they have still conceded only 24 goals in the entire campaign.

Four of them came in one manic 15-minute period at Fiorentina which threatened to mark the start of a slide. Instead, Juve responded like champions. Twelve successive league wins later, they were clear of the dogged challenge of Roma. Since that 4-2 defeat in Tuscany in October, they have dropped only seven points in 27 games. Simply put, they have been phenomenal.

For a third straight year, their midfield has been the basis for success. With Andrea Pirlo at the heart of most attacks, Arturo Vidal has again proven to be the driving force both offensively and defensively. Alongside them, Paul Pogba has not only seen off Claudio Marchisio in the battle for a starting shirt but also further developed his reputation as a world star. Out wide, Stephan Lichtsteiner and Kwadwo Asamoah remain two of the best proponents of the wing-back art.

The first-team squad has had to be bigger than ever given the weight of fixtures added by runs in the Champions League and Europa League, with names such as Martin Caceres, Angelo Ogbonna and Mauricio Isla appearing more regularly on Serie A surfaces than might have been expected, but rarely have Juve been let down by their reserve stocks.

If they needed to add anything after back-to-back Scudetti, it was more goals from their forwards. And Conte will be delighted with the way Carlos Tevez and Fernando Llorente have performed in their debut seasons in Turin.

With 19 strikes to his name, the Argentine has added exactly what they were missing in terms of an all-round forward, while Llorente has overcome early question marks to become the target man Juve never previously had, racking up 15 goals of his own.

Serie A may not be what it was, but Juve are as good they have been in a very long time. Failure in the Champions League and then the Europa League may have tainted their season somewhat, but in Italy they have been better than anyone before them, with the points tally to prove it.

Roma’s concerted challenge demanded that Juventus be as good as they possibly could be. They have been all that and more.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

bex2so.jpg

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Juventus v Atalanta – Team News,
Tactics, Line-ups And Prediction

May 4, 2014

5th May- an iconic date in the history of Juventus. A day when the unthinkable happened twelve years ago: a Scudetto snatched from the jaws of bitter rivals Inter Milan on the final day of a dramatic league season in 2002 which cemented the date in calcio folklore. Last year Juventus won their 31st scudetto on the same date beating Palermo even though the finale was much less dramatic. Now they have the chance to seal their third title on this special date as they host Atalanta on Monday night.

Atalanta have had a strange season, so it is a bit hard to predict exactly what to expect tomorrow; their two best players are in good form, the club have won six of their past ten games yet they have struggled on the road. They are mathematically out of the Europa league qualification race hence any chance of them gatecrashing the scudetto party seems very unlikely.

Team News and Tactical Brief

JUVENTUS

Juventus will be looking to bounce back from the disappointment midweek as they could not break down a resolute Benfica defence and were subsequently knocked out of the Europa League. The past has to be put in the past and that’s what Conte will be telling his players. The wounds might still be fresh but a win will go a long way in healing the situation right now as that would secure a historic third consecutive scudetto.

With Vidal still nursing a thigh strain, Marchisio will return to the starting lineup alongside Andrea Pirlo and Paul Pogba. The preferred back three of Andrea Barzagli, Bonucci and Chiellini will start together after almost two months with Stephan Lichtsteiner and Kwado Asamoah taking up the fullback positions.

The emphasis, as always, will be to attack from the first whistle. Possession should be dominated by the home side and they will look to Carlos Tevez to open up the Atalanta defense in the final third.

Probable Starting Line-up (3-5-2): Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Marchisio, Pirlo, Pogba, Lichtsteiner, Asamoah; Llorente, Tevez

2u9nacy.png

ATALANTA

Stefano Colantuono’s crew sit in 11th place well clear of the relegation zone thanks in no small part to the six straight victories they registered until the defeat to Sassuolo and since then they are yet to win a game. They have eight one-goal victories and they have conceded fewer goals per match than the league average. While on the other hand, they sport a negative goal differential, they are second to last in shots per game, they have been held scoreless ten times, and they have allowed more than one goal on 17 occasions. The center back pairing of Stendardo and Mario Yepes will face a tough task to shut out the Juventus attack. Yohan Benalouane and Del Grosso will take the fullback positions.

Atalanta would miss Luca Cigarini’s playmaking as he is suspended for this game. His position will be taken up by the talented Danielle Baselli who is a serious transfer target of Juventus along with Fiorentina and Inter Milan. Baselli should provide
quite a challenge for Claudio Marchisio and Paul Pogba tomorrow. He will be partnered in midfield by Chilean Carlos Carmona. Giacomo Bonaventura who looks set to move this summer will be looking to impress on the big stage as well. Ex-Juve man Marcelo Estigarribia will start against his former club.

The man bringing home the bacon in Bergamo is German Denis. The Argentine has scored 12 goals this season pushing his three year total to 43 and has shown a pretty decent scoring range through 32 appearances scoring from left, right and center. He is Atalanta’s prime threat, scoring nearly 30% of their goals this season. Azzurrini frontman De Luca will partner Denis upfront.

Probable Starting Line-up (4-4-2): Consigli, Del Grosso, Stendardo, Benalouane, Yepes; Bonaventura, Baselli, Carmona, Estigarribia; De Luca; Denis

Players to Watch Out For

Paul Pogba(Juventus)

The young French midfielder has been outstanding for Juventus this term and was in dazzling form against Benfica. His dynamic displays and mesmerizing ability on the ball and off it have been a crucial factor in the Old Lady’s charge at the top and Atalanta may have to devise something special to keep the midfielder quiet.

Giacomo Bonaventura (Atalanta)

Teams such as Juventus were linked with 23-year-old Giacomo Bonaventura during the summer and rightfully so. The Atalanta starlet made his club debut at 18 and has gradually progressed over five years. He has scored five goals in 36 matches in all competitions including a brace against Inter at the San Siro. Bonaventura, who operates best in behind the strikers, causes a nuisance for defenders with his terrific technique and vision. He is equally comfortable as a winger as well. He received his first cap for the Nazionale this past May against San Marino.

Prediction

Juventus 3–0 Atalanta

Atalanta have nothing to play for this season and the last thing they would have wanted was a trip to the impregnable fortress in Turin. Juventus have a 100 percent record in their own background and everything points to a comfortable win for the Bianconeri and along with it the 32nd league title.

Blast From the Past

The first meeting between these two sides in the new Juventus stadium in 2012 was also played under similar circumstances; only difference being Juventus were already crowned champions before the kickoff. It was also the final game of Juventus icon Alessandro Del Piero for his beloved club.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

How Juventus Will Line Up Against Atalanta

May 4, 2014

Following their Europa League elimination, Juventus host Atalanta on Monday night, with a win enough to clinch the Serie A title. The loss to Benfica was a bitter blow, but lifting a third consecutive Scudetto would still be a remarkable achievement this season.

With no injuries or suspensions, over the following pages is a look at what can be expected from Antonio Conte as he sends out the Bianconeri in search of silverware.

Goalkeeper

If Roma fail to win against Catania on Sunday, Juventus would go into Monday’s match knowing the title
is already theirs. Even in those circumstances however, Antonio Conte is expected to send out his strongest XI against Atalanta, giving them one last outing before giving the reserve players some minutes.

As such, Gianluigi Buffon should take his place between the posts for La Madama, the captain once again providing a guarantee for those ahead of him. He has made 87 saves this season according to Fox Soccer statistics, keeping 18 clean sheets in his 32 appearances thus far.

Defence

Having missed out against Benfica, it is likely Andrea Barzagli will return to the defence on Monday, stepping in to replace Martin Caceres on the right of the back three. He is expected to join regular team-mates Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini as Conte field’s his first choice trio at the back.

A troublesome calf injury has limited Barzagli to just 24 starts this season, but he is now seemingly fully recovered and ready to face Atalanta.

Midfield

Arturo Vidal’s knee injury has taken much longer to heal than was originally expected, and despite returning to face Benfica the Chilean is likely to be rested here. The in-form Claudio Marchisio is certain to take his place, and the Turin native will hope to turn in another excellent performance.

Having seen the team fall behind against Sassuolo last week, the 28-year-old scored one goal and created another to help the Bianconeri seal three more vital points. He is likely to feature alongside creator-in-chief Andrea Pirlo, with Paul Pogba taking the last central midfield berth.

On the flanks, Stephan Lichtsteiner and Kwadwo Asamoah are the most likely candidates to start.

Strikers

It may be in attack where where Antonio Conte will have the biggest dilemma, perhaps opting to look beyond his first-choice strike pairing of Carlos Tevez and Fernando Llorente if the title is already theirs. Both men netted in Monday’s win over Sassuolo, taking their combined tally for the campaign to an impressive 37 in all competitions.

They have each enjoyed excellent debut seasons on the peninsula, but could well be rested if Juventus no longer need victory to deliver the title. Two of Daniel Osvaldo, Mirko Vucinic or Sebastian Giovinco would likely deputise in that case, with the first pair possibly playing for their future at the club.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

6i70qd.jpg

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Juventus vs. Atalanta Preview:
Round 36 — It's time to celebrate

May 5, 2014

For months on end we've heard how winning the Scudetto for a third straight season is Antonio Conte's No. 1 priority this season. We heard it weeks before the season started. We heard it weeks before I was standing a couple feet away from Andrea Pirlo's world-famous beard. We've heard it — a lot — throughout the season, too.

If anything, Scudetto No. 32 has been on Antonio Conte's mind ever since the day after he won the 31st of Juve's storied history last season.

And when Juve take the field against Atalanta tomorrow night in Turin, No. 32 will be signed, sealed, and delivered. Is it a little less thrilling considering what happened the last time Juve were on the Juventus Stadium field? Yeah, maybe — MAYBE! — a little bit because doing well in Europe is important to us all and that was such a unique opportunity present to the Juventus team and the City of Turin. But this is something that few teams have done in the history of this incredibly historic club we call the Old Lady. It's special, regardless of what Juventus did just a few days prior.

I'd say that's a pretty solid way to ring in May 5 even if the Scudetto was technically won 24 hours earlier when Juventus weren't actually on the field.

Today is the first-full day as "Juventus, three-time champions." It has a better ring to it than "Juventus, two-time champions" if you ask me. That might be a biased opinion, but to that's what everybody else going to be saying, too, so I'm totally okay with every bit of it.

You don't need to think twice about the players cherishing this achievement based on what we saw from everybody in the aftermath of Juve clinching the Scudetto. Just look at some of the pictures on Juve's website from the celebration after Roma lost to Catania. Or, you can watch Antonio Conte come out of nowhere and (probably) unintentionally kick Dani Osvaldo in the face and then jump into Paul Pogba's waiting and open arms as the team celebrated like a bunch of wild children who just found out they're all going out for ice cream after the game.

tumblr_n52kvyKZFY1qa33wlo1_400_medium.gi

This is a team that is obviously going to be in a celebratory mood when they take the field against Atalanta tonight. And why shouldn't they? They know they've made history, and by the looks of things, they're damn happy about it. And so should we. This thing doesn't happen all that often.

fernando llorente ✔ @llorentefer19
Oggi è un giorno triste per noi, no saremmo nella finale, ma speriamo darvi una buona notizia il lunedì!

That was what Fernando Llorente pre-Scudetto party when Juve had just been knocked out of the Europa League by Benfica. Now that the good news has arrived a little earlier than a lot of us expected it to, we shall all celebrate. No matter where you are — near Turin or far from it — there will be a party during the 90 minutes of game time against Atalanta.

Oh, and vamos! You can't forget the vamos.

GOOD NEWS

Have I mentioned that Juventus have won their third straight Scudetto? Because they've won their third straight Scudetto.

BAD NEWS

No extra game at Juventus Stadium this season. That's too bad. I was kinda looking forward to Juve playing in their home stadium on May 14 and technically being considered the away team. It would have been so ironic and funny at the same time. Oh, well. Maybe next...I dunno when.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

1. If Juventus play like they actually want to play the game, or just go through the motions.

If Juventus didn't lock up the Scudetto on Sunday without actually playing the question would have been a pretty simple one — "How pissed off are Juve going to be after Thursday's Europa League disappointment?" But because there isn't the whole "We can wrap up the Scudetto today" thing going on tonight in Turin, it's not exactly a game that screams "We're gong all out, so just bring it, baby." Or maybe it does, I don't know. But it's understandable if there's a bit of a sluggishness amongst the players. It's not that often a team gets to celebrate winning the title before actually going out and playing the regularly-scheduled game.

2. Staying on the pace for 100 points.

This, of course, is the only real achievement Juventus will still be shooting for in the season's final three games. Conte loves him some wins — and who doesn't? — and that has spurned rumors that Juve will go away from starting a lot of their reserves and play close to the same lineup that was out there against Benfica on Thursday night. There might be some truth to that considering Conte wants to win and win and win some more. And the only way to get to triple digits in points is if Juve, who are currently sitting on 93 points, win two and draw another at the very minimum.

3. How much squad rotation now that the Scudetto is locked up.

If Juventus were to be playing for the Scudetto today, the predicted lineup a few lines down the page would have looked a whoooole lot different than it does right now. But because Roma lost to Catania and Juve got the Scudetto wrapped up, there quite possibly could be a ton of squad rotation going on. You know, like Coppa Italia squad rotation happening. That's what logic tells you, doesn't it? But, like I said above, there's also the fact that Juve is charging towards the 100-point mark. And with Conte at the helm, you never really know if there's going to be a ton of squad rotation happening unless it actually is in the Coppa Italia.

4. The party at Juventus Stadium.

By the time Juventus-Atalanta kicks off in Turin, it will have been about 28 hours since Juve clinched the Scudetto. That's a lot of time to celebrate — and there's no reason to think that it's even stopped. I don't think I really need to say a lot more than that. There will be a lot of black and white, a lot of happy people, a lot of happy folks who have their paychecks signed by Andrea Agnelli every week. Just a lot of happiness going on at Juventus Stadium. The celebration calls for it, folks.

My starting XI (3-5-2): Storari; Cáceres, Ogbonna, Peluso; Isla, Padoin, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asamoah; Quagliarella, Giovinco

OFFICIAL KICKOFF TIME: 9 P.M. IN ITALY; 3 P.M. ON THE EAST COAST; HIGH NOON ON THE WEST COAST

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Juventus-Atalanta Betting Preview: Conte's
champions to celebrate another Scudetto in style

Having been handed a third consecutive Serie A title over the weekend thanks to Roma's
defeat at Catania, the hosts will be able to play without any pressure against La Dea.

May 5, 2014

Juventus can put last week's heart-breaking Europa League exit behind them by lifting a third consecutive Scudetto when they take on Atalanta on Monday.

Roma's shock 4-1 defeat away to lowly Catania on Sunday handed Antonio Conte's men the title without them even kicking a ball and they are overwhelming 1/7 (1.14) favourites with William Hill to celebrate that success with an 18th win from 18 Serie A home games.

With mid-table obscurity secured and nothing left to play for this season, the visitors are 20/1 (21.00) outsiders to pick up a first win in five against a team they have not beaten in 10 years.

The Bianconeri saw their dreams of a European final on home turf dashed after being held to a 0-0 draw by Benfica last Thursday, and you can get odds of 6/1 (7.00) on another stalemate taking place.

While that frustrating 2-1 aggregate defeat does little to dispel the question marks surrounding Conte's credentials in European competition, it is impossible to doubt his record in Italy.

The feisty coach's competitive nature has seen turned the champions into a relentless winning machine in Serie A, where they look set to break all previous records by becoming the first ever team to rack up over 100 points.

With just seven points required from the last three games in order to make history, Conte is bound to have his team firing on all cylinders as they look to bounce back from their Europa League disappointment, in contrast their opponents.

Despite trainer Stefano Colantuono's protestations, La Dea seem to have all but given up as they meander toward the finishing line, and their should pose little threat to a home defence that has conceded just nine in 17 games in front of their own fans.

Considering only struggling Cagliari, Bologna and Catania have scored fewer than Atalanta's 14 goals on the road this season, odds of 17/20 (1.85) look too good to pass up on Juventus winning to nil for the 11th time in 14 home games this campaign.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Line-ups: Juventus-Atalanta

May 5, 2014

Juventus host Atalanta for their Scudetto celebrations with a real party atmosphere in Turin tonight.

It kicks off at 21.00 CET.

The Bianconeri already had a preliminary party on Sunday afternoon, as Roma’s 4-1 defeat to Catania mathematically handed them the third consecutive Scudetto.

Atalanta are already safe from the threat of relegation and comfortable in mid-table, so both sides can play without worrying about the result.

The crowd is ready to be entertained and the Serie A trophy will be presented to the team after the game.

It is also the chance to put the bitterness of last week’s Europa League semi-final elimination to Benfica behind them, as Juve hadn’t won three Scudetti on the bounce since the 1930s.

Atalanta are without midfield string-puller Luca Cigarini due to suspension, while ‘bad boy’ striker Marko Livaja is in Croatia, as he was frozen out after abusing Atalanta fans on Facebook, the latest of several unsavoury incidents in his brief career.

German Denis leads the attack with Giacomo Bonaventura, who has been linked with summer moves to Juventus or Fiorentina, and the returning Maxi Moralez.

Atalanta have not beaten Juve in Serie A since 2001, while their last away victory was 1-0 in October 1989.

JUVENTUS: Storari; Barzagli, Ogbonna, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Padoin, Marchisio, Pogba, Peluso; Osvaldo, Giovinco

Juventus bench: Buffon, Rubinho, Isla, Caceres, Bonucci, Pepe, Pirlo, Vidal, Asamoah, Tevez, Llorente, Quagliarella

ATALANTA: Consigli; Bellini, Lucchini, Yepes, Brivio; Raimondi, Carmona, Baselli, Bonaventura; Maxi Moralez; Denis

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

JUVENTUS - ATALANTA

Juventus Stadium — Turin

HT 0-0: Juve party still goalless

May 5, 2014

Juventus and Atalanta both had chances, but at the break the Scudetto party is still goalless in Turin.

This was one huge party, as on Sunday afternoon Roma lost 4-1 at Catania, mathematically handing the third consecutive Serie A title to Juve. Atalanta were also in a mood to celebrate, having secured their safety with mid-table comfort, welcoming back Maxi Moralez from injury. Antonio Conte fielded an all-new line-up to ensure everyone got in on the festivities.

Sebastian Giovinco drilled just wide from distance, while Angelo Ogbonna charged down a German Denis effort in the box.

Giovinco and Daniel Osvaldo blasted more attempts just off target, but Giacomo Bonaventura burst into the box and was only stopped by a last-ditch and extremely risky Stephan Lichtsteiner tackle.

An Osvaldo looping header was palmed out from under the bar and from the resulting corner Ogbonna nodded over.

Marco Storari smothered a Daniele Baselli effort, while Denis at full stretch just failed to get on the end of a Maxi Moralez cross to the back post.

Juventus 0-0 Atalanta (Half-Time)

Juventus: Storari; Barzagli, Ogbonna, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Padoin, Marchisio, Pogba, Peluso; Osvaldo, Giovinco

Atalanta: Consigli; Bellini, Lucchini, Yepes, Brivio; Raimondi, Carmona, Baselli, Bonaventura; Maxi Moralez; Denis

Ref: De Marco

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin
Attendance:‬ 38000‎

Champions' party continues
with another win

Antonio Conte's men picked up a narrow victory over the visitors just a day
after it was confirmed that they had won the Italian top flight once again.

nfgtqr.jpg

May 5, 2014

Simone Padoin scored the only goal of the game against his former club Atalanta as Juventus celebrated sealing the Serie A title with a win.

Roma's defeat to Catania on Sunday secured Juve's third consecutive league crown, and the 30th in their history, without Antonio Conte's men even having to play.

In their first game since their latest title was sealed, Padoin netted his first goal for the club to secure a 31st league victory of the season four days after Thursday's Europa League semi-final exit at the hands of Benfica.

After a sluggish opening hour that saw Pablo Osvaldo waste three chances, Juventus were sparked into life by the introduction of Fabio Quagliarella and Carlos Tevez.

The former had two chances soon after coming on at half-time, and his Argentine team-mate could have netted with his first touch in the 69th minute but it fell to Padoin to strike the decisive blow with a well-taken low finish.

One goal was enough for the home fans to raise the volume up another notch as yet another win move Turin giants on to 96 points and well on course to break the 100-point barrier with two games remaining, while the visitors remain 11th.

With the title in the bag Conte rested the majority of his first team regulars and lined up with nine Italian players in his starting line-up, including goalkeeper Marco Storari coming in for Gianluigi Buffon.

Sebastian Giovinco was also given a rare start and the striker wasted two early chances to put the champions in front.

On both occasions the former Parma man was able to find space on the edge of the penalty area, but dragged his shots wide of Andrea Consigli's goal.

Osvaldo sent a long-range effort over the crossbar as the hosts applied pressure, but were unable to find a way through and Atalanta were equally as wasteful on their rare counter-attacks.

Claudio Marchisio and Osvaldo had further openings to break the deadlock before the break, but were unable to find the back of the net.

Quagliarella was introduced at the break at the expense of the wasteful Giovinco and he had a chance to spark the party into life in the opening minutes of the second half.

An intricate passing move on the edge of the penalty area found the substitute with a clear sight of goal, but he blasted over the crossbar - much to the frustration of the home support.

After intense pressure from the hosts that saw Tevez and Quagliarella go close, Juve finally found the back of the net through former Atalanta midfielder Padoin in the 72nd minute.

Quagliarella let a pass from the left run across his body and the 30-year-old fired low into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area to seal all three points.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Padoin for Juve Scudetto party

Simone Padoin gave Juventus a 1-0 win over Atalanta
in this celebration of a third consecutive Scudetto.

v80k1j.jpg

May 5, 2014

The result keeps them on track for more records, as they are close to 97 points in a single season and managing a 100 per cent record on home turf.

This was one huge party, as on Sunday afternoon Roma lost 4-1 at Catania, mathematically handing the third consecutive Serie A title to Juve. Atalanta were also in a mood to celebrate, having secured their safety with mid-table comfort, welcoming back Maxi Moralez from injury. Antonio Conte fielded an all-new line-up to ensure everyone got in on the festivities.

Sebastian Giovinco drilled just wide from distance, while Angelo Ogbonna charged down a German Denis effort in the box.

Giovinco and Daniel Osvaldo blasted more attempts just off target, but Giacomo Bonaventura burst into the box and was only stopped by a last-ditch and extremely risky Stephan Lichtsteiner tackle.

An Osvaldo looping header was palmed out from under the bar and from the resulting corner Ogbonna nodded over.

Marco Storari smothered a Daniele Baselli effort, while Denis at full stretch just failed to get on the end of a Maxi Moralez cross to the back post.

Fabio Quagliarella was introduced for the second half and drilled over the bar at the end of a wonderful team move with several one-touch passes.

Denis turned an overhead kick off target, which was flagged offside anyway, and Paul Pogba hit a powerful finish over the bar.

Osvaldo completed a give-and-go with Quagliarella only to volley inches over the bar. Andrea Consigli needed a splendid double save on 67 minutes, parrying Quagliarella’s shot at the near post, getting back up to deny Pogba and then seeing substitute Carlos Tevez fire off target.

The deadlock was finally broken when Tevez flicked on a Pogba backheel pass for Simone Padoin, whose angled drive from the edge of the box went in off the inside of the upright. It was a rare goal from Padoin against his former club.

Mario Yepes had come sliding in to block the shot, but was accidentally kneed in the head. Medics applied a neckbrace before stretchering the Colombian off the field.

Simone Pepe was given a run-out in the final minutes, as the winger has barely set foot on the field for two years due to a series of thigh and tendon injuries.

Marco Storari also finally had something to do, beating away a fierce Daniele Baselli snapshot.

It should've been 2-0 with the final kick of the game, but Quagliarella rolled across for Tevez to prod wide of an open goal.

Juventus: Storari; Barzagli, Ogbonna, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner (Pepe 84), Padoin, Marchisio, Pogba, Peluso; Osvaldo (Tevez 65), Giovinco (Quagliarella 46)

Atalanta: Consigli; Bellini, Lucchini (Benalouane 46), Yepes (Nica 77), Brivio; Raimondi (Estigarribia 64), Carmona, Baselli, Bonaventura; Maxi Moralez; Denis

Ref: De Marco

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

34e7ujn.jpg

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Padoin crowns Scudetto celebrations

ogwcqe.jpg

May 5, 2014

Juventus beat Atalanta 1-0 at the Juventus Stadium on Monday night in Serie A.

Simone Padoin grabbed the only goal of the game with a smart finish late on in the second half.

The Bianconeri had already secured the title on Saturday thanks to Roma’s 4-1 loss to Catania which allowed this occasion to be nothing more than a celebration of acquiring their third successive Scudetto.

The game started off as quite a slow burner, with both teams getting early touches of the ball. Antonio Conte put out a mixture of first teamers and reserves and Sebastian Giovinco had the first shot of the match which fell just wide of Andrea Consigli’s post.

Giovinco would soon get another sight of goal in the opening quarter as he worked a smart one two with attacking compatriot Pablo Osvaldo but the striker ended up pulling his shot disappointingly wide.

The half chances continued to come and Atalanta’s German Denis got the Nerazzurri’s first shot of the game which was blocked and then down the over end Osvaldo saw his snapshot fly over the crossbar.

The match continued to produce little chances and just before the half hour we witnessed our first save of the game, Consigli tipping over smartly from a looping Osvaldo header.

As the half progressed there would be not even be any half chances except poor optimistic strikes by Claudio Marchisio and Paul Pogba.

The referee thankfully then brought to a close a pretty dire half of football

The second half began with a lovely move from Juventus when some clever interchanging ended up finding its way to substitute Fabio Quagliarella, who had his first touch and shot of the game which flew well over the goal.

The half then started to replicate the first half but with even less shots being taken by either side. Denis saw an acrobatic shot fly wide of the post before Quagliarella hit a free kick straight into the wall and those efforts were the only ones of interest as the match hit the hour mark.

Quagliarella then turned provider when he dinked a ball over the Atalanta back line only for Osvaldo to toe poke his effort wide.

Some urgency from Juventus finally allowed some speed to be injected into the game and Consigli did well to deny both Marchisio and Pogba in quick succession as the pace of the game quickened somewhat.

Twenty minutes from the end a goal finally came. Simone Padoin, the former Atalanta man, stroked the ball home across goal after no one dealt with the initial ball across the edge of the box.

Conte elected to then bring on Simone Pepe, who had barely played in the last two years due to injury as Juventus closed out the game and the Scudetto celebrations continued.

The result meant Juventus have won all eighteen of their home matches so far this season and they could keep a 100% win record at home for the campaign if they defeat Cagliari in the final game.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Juventus Celebrate Scudetto with Win

2ag3o7p.jpg

May 5, 2014

Juventus celebrated their third consecutive Serie A title with yet another victory, winning 1-0 at home to Atalanta on Monday evening at Juventus Stadium.

Simone Padoin—playing against his former club—scored the game's only goal in the 72nd minute as the Bianconeri took a figurative victory lap after clinching the Scudetto on Sunday without even playing.

As B/R's Anthony Lopopolo noted via Twitter, the low stakes and relaxed atmosphere made Monday's match feel something like an exhibition:

Anthony Lopopolo @sportscaddy
Feel like this Juve game is just a venue for the fans to celebrate. Not much quality on display.

With the win, Juventus moved on to 96 points, 11 ahead of second-placed Roma with two matches left. Roma lost 4-1 at Catania on Sunday to hand the title to Juve.

The victory also maintained the Bianconeri's 100 percent home record this season. Having won all 18 matches at Juventus Stadium, Antonio Conte's side can finish off a perfect home campaign with a win over Cagliari on the final day of the season.

In addition, Juve can finish with 100 points for the season by claiming at least four over their final two matches.

But while Juve had plenty of reason to celebrate Monday evening, Conte and company will still see room for improvement next season—notably in European competition.

After departing the UEFA Champions League at the group stage earlier this season, Juventus had turned their sights toward playing for the Europa League title in their home stadium in the May 14 final. But that dream ended last week in the semi-finals following a scoreless draw at home to Benfica in the second leg—a result that sent the Portuguese side through to the final.

But according to Conte, the Europa League run will help Juventus grow next season as they seek another league title and greater continental success. As quoted by Football Italia, Conte said:

“I watched (the semi-final) back and the sensations I had from the touchline were correct. I am very satisfied with the growth of my team and its consolidation in Europe.

Dropping down into the Europa League helped us to grow, as it was the first time for many in the squad. We still proved we are on a par with the big clubs and have what it takes to challenge in the major competitions.”

With the title wrapped up, Juventus rested a number of regular starters as players such as goalkeeper Marco Storari, midfielder Padoin and forwards Sebastian Giovinco and Pablo Dani Osvaldo came into the starting lineup.

Giovinco had the first good chance for the home side, shooting just wide from distance in the fifth minute. In the 26th minute, Osvaldo's looping header—Juve's only shot on target of the first half—was tipped over the bar.

Atalanta also managed just one attempt on target before half-time, Daniele Baselli shooting straight at Storari in the 32nd minute.

With the match still scoreless at half-time, Juventus continued to search for the opening goal after the break. Osvaldo had another opportunity in the 64th minute but volleyed over the bar.

Two minutes later, half-time substitute Fabio Quagliarella saw his shot saved before Pogba, too, was denied on the rebound. Carlos Tevez, who had entered the match moments earlier, then shot off target from the second rebound.

The breakthrough finally came in the 72nd minute as Padoin found the scoresheet against his former club. Giorgio Chiellini started the move, slotting a pass to Pogba, who played the ball on with a clever back-heel. The target appeared to be Tevez, but the Argentine allowed the ball to roll to Padoin, who finished first time off the inside of the far post.

Juve's celebrations were dampered, however, by an injury to Atalanta's Mario Yepes, who collided with Padoin's leg while trying to block the latter's shot. Yepes was stretchered off, with his neck in a brace, in the 77th minute, when he was replaced by Constantin Nica.

Mirroring the first half, Atalanta managed only a single shot on target in the second half, Baselli shooting tamely at Storari in the 87th minute. In stoppage time, Tevez had a chance to double Juve's lead just before the final whistle, but he directed his shot off target.

It mattered little, however, as the celebrations began shortly afterward.

Grades

Juventus Player Ratings

Marco Storari 6
Andrea Barzagli 7
Angelo Ogbonna 6
Giorgio Chiellini 6
Stephan Lichtsteiner 6
Simone Padoin 7
Claudio Marchisio 7
Paul Pogba 7
Federico Peluso 6
Pablo Dani Osvaldo 6
Sebastian Giovinco 7

Fabio Quagliarella (for Giovinco, 46') N/A 7
Carlos Tevez (for Osvaldo, 65') N/A 6
Simone Pepe (for Lichtsteiner, 85') N/A 6

Post-Match Reaction

JuventusFC ✔ @juventusfcen
#Giovinco: "We always believed we could win the Scudetto, even though Roma had a fine season. It's a title victory we've fully deserved."

#Giovinco: "Celebrating with a victory makes it even sweeter. We're now going for our other objective, a 100 point finish." #JuveAtalanta

Up Next

Juventus play at Roma on Sunday before finishing the season at home to Cagliari on May 18. Atalanta host AC Milan on Sunday and finish the season at Catania on May 18.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Player Ratings

A solitary goal from Simone Padoin against his former club was enough to extend Juve's
100% home record, securing yet another win before the presentation of the Serie A title.

1zmdzlv.jpg

May 5, 2014

JUVENTUS

Marco Storari - A solid outing from the Juve keeper, keeping Atalanta at bay with a few comfortable saves. Deserved clean sheet.

Andrea Barzagli - Made a couple of important interceptions and clearances, getting across well to challenge with Denis to prevent a late chance for the visitors.

Angelo Ogbonna - Another composed performance from the former Torino man, making an important block in the first half to deny Denis.

Giorgio Chiellini - Made a couple of poor defensive headers, but was generally a solid part of a brilliant Juve defensive machine. Powerful and dominant.

Stephan Lichtsteiner - Tireless running from the Swiss wing-back yet again, but he didn't create a great deal of opportunities for his side.

PAUL POGBA - A classy performance from the young Frenchman, who showcased his ability with a number of beautiful pieces of skill. Went close twice from range.

Claudio Marchisio - Provided real energy from deep and picked out a few intelligent penetrative passes.

Simone Padoin - Capped his performance with a wonderful finish, firing a low drive in off the post after gambling on the loose ball falling to him.

Federico Peluso - Not a very expansive game from the wing-back, but he performed his defensive job solidly, not giving Atalanta any joy down the right.

Sebastian Giovinco - A fairly lively first half from the diminutive forward, who went close on two occasions and linked up with Osvaldo well. Replaced at the break.

Pablo Daniel Osvaldo - Played a few nice flick-ons and was denied by a smart header from Osvaldo. A reasonable performance, but a league goal eluded him.

Substitutions

Carlos Tévez
- The Argentine acted as an offensive catalyst and was busy around the penalty area, forcing Consigli into a couple of saves and missed a brilliant late chance.

Fabio Quagliarella - Wasn't afraid to shoot from range and should have picked up a late assist, but for the poor finishing of Tevez.

ATALANTA

Andrea Consigli - The goalkeeper made couple of top saves to deny Osvaldo, but could do nothing to prevent Padoin's effort from nestling in the back of the net.

Gianpaolo Bellini - The right-back kept tabs on Peluso and ensured that plenty of the wing-back's crosses were charged down successfully.

Stefano Lucchini - Replaced at the break, but the Italian defender did a solid enough job of ensuring that Osvaldo stayed with his back to goal.

Mario Yepes - Made a number of brilliant interceptions, before being removed from the field on a stretcher in the second half after colliding with Padoin's knee.

Davide Brivio - Pushed forward to support the attack whenever possible, but his crossing was rather poor.

Cristian Raimondi - Stood no chance of having any luck against the solid combination of Chiellini and Peluso down the Juve left and therefore had a very quiet evening.

Carlos Carmona - The Chilean didn't offer much going forward, failing to test Storari or give Denis the service that he needed.

Daniele Baselli - Very positive performance, unafraid to shoot from range, forcing Storari into two reasonable saves. Went closest for the away side.

Giacomo Bonaventura - Cut inside from the left hand side and fired a few reasonable shots at Storari's net. Atalanta's main offensive driving force.

Maximiliano Moralez - Picked out a few wonderful passes in search of Denis, but didn't carve out any opportunities for himself. Dropped deeper and created well.

Germán Denis - Saw a first half shot blocked by Ogbonna, before being penalised for a trip on Barzagli in the second with the move having resulted in the Argentine dancing around Storari and poking the ball home.

Substitutions

Yohan Benalouane
- A solid replacement for Lucchini, as the Frenchman continued to ensure that Osvaldo had a very ineffectual game.

Marcelo Estigarribia - Gave away a free-kick which was involved in the build-up to Padoin's goal and despite his tireless energy, the Paraguay international didn't have the cutting edge required.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

6i70qd.jpg

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Initial reaction and random observations

e64ltj.jpg

May 6, 2014

We've spent a lot of time around these parts using Simone Padoin as the butt of quite a number of jokes.

But when we look at the final scoresheet after Juventus' 1-0 win over Atalanta on Monday night, only one person's name will be listed as scoring a goal — Simone Padoin.

Yes, that same Padoin who has been Antonio Conte's human victory cigar the past couple of seasons. The same Padoin who has, somehow, continued to remain on the Juventus roster through one of the greatest runs we've seen the club make on the domestic level. The same Padoin who now has as many Scudetti as Roma do as a club.

Magic? More like ... we'll just go with magic.

Juventus' Scudetto party was exactly that. The singing in the stadium started well before the opening kickoff and certainly lasted well after the final whistle blew. It was a night to celebrate — and the win was just something that put the icing on the cake.

#Conte: “These lads are extraordinary. We've had three intense campaigns and I can only thank each and every one of them.” #JuveX3

But who figured that SImone Padoin, the man who is basically the definition of Mr. Ordinary, would be the won who go his team's game-winning goal on the night they celebrated a third straight Scudetto?

This sport can be predictable at times. Or it can be like it was tonight — a game where Simone freaking Padoin scored a pretty decent goal to make sure Juve's Scudetto party had three points tagging alongside.

Although, with that being said...

Vittorio Pazzini @vittoriopazzini
Unless Giovinco does something great, this might take an A-List sub to seal the three points. This is a total Scudetto hangover match.
BWRAO @JuventusNation
@vittoriopazzini Padoin in the 86th minute.

Close enough, right? Not bad for being completely sarcastic at the time. I take full credit.

On that note, I'll just shut up and let the players sing.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/0672B566E01075207887619563520_1399323731876de5e1ac599.mp4.mp4?versionId=gethhRxQ4o9wNUQnpr6aoBNLoxMqYSHX

What was it that Notorious BIG said? "Throw your hands in the air if you a true player...

Random thoughts and observations

• Juventus' home record in Serie A this season: 18 games played, 18 wins. That's pretty good.

• Juventus are on 96 points with two games to go. That's pretty good.

• Today was Antonio Conte's 100th win as Juventus manager. That's pretty good, too.

• A lot of the post-game quotes was about the season as a whole rather than the game itself. That's pretty

• If you haven't seen it by now, Giorgio Chiellini and Carlos Tévez almost slept through Juve's Scudetto celebration at the team hotel on Sunday. That would have been an all-timer if they did. Kids these days, I tell ya...

• Some people were shooting the BWRAO Twitter account complaints about Conte's performance in Europe minutes before kickoff. Come on, people. We can talk about that another day. But not this day. Enjoy the party. Winning three straight titles doesn't happen often. We're witnessing history right in front of our own eyes.

• Idiots. It doesn't matter how many people were involved. Idiots. That's all I have to say on that matter.

• Read into this as you wish...

Aaron Giambattista @agiamba
Conte- "I need to understand if I have the strength to move forward. I'll speak with the club, but I am and always be a Juventino."

In a way, it could very well be the flat-out exhaustion from Conte's end talking here. It's been a stressful nine months for Conte (as I'm sure it almost always is). You see the way he coaches on the sideline each game and I just imagine him getting home and collapsing in bed, sleeping for hours on end. It could also be a little double message to the Juve board as well. "Give me the players to really do damage on more fronts." That'd be fine with me, honestly. But there's going to be a whole lot of reading into the quote above by people who get paid money to speculate about calcio things. The Italian press will certainly get a bump in sales after they go through a round or two of "Will Conte stay or go?" mumbo jumbo.

• Simone Padoin scored the game's only goal — a pretty good one, at that. I'm still laughing, still somewhat dumbfounded by it all. Magic? Magic.

BWRAO @JuventusNation
We are all Simone Padoin.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

'We want to break 100 points' - Giovinco

The 27-year-old says his side fully deserved to win the league
but hope to set a new points record for the Italian top flight.

21lvqzq.jpg

May 6, 2014

Sebastian Giovinco says winning the Scudetto is not enough for Juventus and has set his sights on finishing the season with at least 100 points.

Roma's loss at Catania on Sunday guaranteed Juve a third-successive Scudetto before Monday's victory over Atalanta.

Antonio Conte's men now sit on 96 points with two games remaining and Giovinco says the squad are now focused on becoming the first Serie A side to reach three figures for the campaign.

"Celebrating with a victory makes it even sweeter," he told the club's official website after the win.

"We're now going for our other objective, a 100-point finish.

"We always believed we could win the Scudetto, even though Roma had a fine season.

"It's a title victory we've fully deserved."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Conte still unsure of Juve future
despite 'historic' Scudetto

The 44-year-old says he must sit down with the club and evaluate
his future after picking up a third consecutive league title.

400594_heroa.jpg

May 6, 2014

Antonio Conte says will hold talks in the summer about staying at Juventus next season after securing a "historic" Serie A title.

As a result of Roma's 4-1 defeat to Catania on Sunday, the Bianconeri were confirmed champions for the third consecutive time before Monday's 1-0 win over Atalanta.

Conte praised his team for their magnificent achievements over the last few years, but hinted that he is still unsure if he will remain with the club beyond 2013-14.

"I’d call this a historic Scudetto. That's the most suitable word for what this team has done over the last three years, especially after finishing seventh twice in a row," he told reporters.

"What this team has done in Italy can't be improved upon. Those close to me know what I put into the team and what the players have put into it with me.

"We have always said, along with the club, that we’ll talk it over when the situation calms down and analyse every aspect. These have been three very intense and stressful years.

"We need to sit down, confront our opinions on matters and, in a relaxed manner, see what the situation is.

“I don’t want to say I need reassurances. I will say what I need to say with the club, so together we can evaluate what is best for Juventus. I want what is best for Juventus, in every way."

Conte was then asked if he could take a sabbatical from coaching this summer and he pressed the point that he loved the club without committing either way.

"No, I just need to talk to the club and we’ll make the necessary evaluations," he said. "I am a Juventino, I was even when I went around the country to work as a coach and learn.

"I am now that I am the Juventus coach and will be in the future. It is my family."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

swcy9l.png

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Yepes given all-clear by medics

t819hl.jpg

May 6, 2014

Atalanta defender Mario Yepes has been released from hospital after suffering a head injury in last night’s game with Juventus.

The Colombian international appeared to briefly lose consciousness on the pitch when he was accidentally kneed in the head by Simone Padoin during the goal move.

He was stretchered off with a neck brace applied by medical staff and taken to hospital for tests.

Today Atalanta released a statement confirming Yepes has passed all tests, ruling out any internal or external damage.

He will nonetheless be rested for a few days as a precaution.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Juventus vs. Atalanta:
6 Things We Learned

abm79u.jpg

May 6, 2014

Juventus hosted Atalanta on Monday night, safe in the knowledge that the Serie A title was already confirmed thanks to Roma's surprising loss to Catania. With Juve's third consecutive Scudetto delivered, it was no surprise to see Antonio Conte heavily rotate his starting line-up.

Even without the majority of their first choice XI, the Bianconeri had too much for their opponents. Over the following pages are six things we learned from the Turin giants' narrow 1-0 victory.

1. Juventus Seal 100 Per Cent Home Record

Perhaps the most defining statistic of the 2013-14 season for Juve has been their imperious home form, with 18 of the 31 total victories coming in Turin. With three draws and two losses on their travels, their 100 per cent record at Juventus Stadium has been a major influence in delivering the 32nd league title.

2. Juventus Possess Strength in Depth

Knowing there was no pressure on his team here, Antonio Conte opted to rest the majority of his starting XI. Bringing in a number of players he had previously only sparingly used, the coach highlighted the impressive quality at his disposal.

3. Heroes Are Found in Unlikely Places

After a dull first half, the tie was settled by Simone Padoin's 72nd-minute strike. The goal, which came in the midfielder's seventh league start this term, marked only his second goal since joining the Turin giants in January 2012.

4. Paul Pogba Continues to Exert His Influence

Paul Pogba exerted his influence on yet another match for the Bianconeri, highlighting just how important he has become since leaving Manchester United. Heavily involved in the buildup to Simone Padoin's goal, the French midfielder proved decisive once again for Juventus.

His assist here was his seventh of the campaign, and with the same number of strikes himself, the 21-year-old has continually shown his impact on the three-time champions throughout the season.

5. Sebastian Giovinco Continues to Impress

Often jeered by Juventus fans, Sebastian Giovinco turned in another impressive performance, perhaps the best Bianconeri player in the opening 45 minutes. Having come close to opening the scoring on a number of occasions, the 27-year-old was withdrawn at half-time following an injury.

With just eight starts, the Turin native has perhaps shown enough to remain with the club next term, an incredible turnaround following a dismal start to the campaign.

6. Giacomo Bonaventura Shines Again

Despite being largely overlooked on a night that was always just about Juventus, Giacomo Bonaventura once again showed just how talented he is. Continually linked with a move away from Atalanta, the 24-year-old attacking midfielder was his side's most influential player by some distance, turning in another impressive performance.

Weighing in with two interceptions as he completed 90 per cent of his pass attempts, the Under-21 international showed why he has been linked with moves to a bigger club this summer, per Football Italia.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130798 messaggi

xlf6gm.gif

JUVENTUS 1 - 0 ATALANTA

Simone Padoin (72′)

Juventus Stadium — Turin

Juventus celebrate Serie A
title with another win

axf8fl.jpg

May 6, 2014

Another win and another trophy for Antonio Conte’s Juventus. After their 1-0 win over Atalanta on Monday, the Turin giants are the Campioni d’Italia for the third consecutive year -- a feat the club hasn’t managed since the 1930s. This team deserves the honour and continues to develop in an astonishing manner. People may criticise them and undoubtedly always demand more, but when it comes to domestic glory, there’s only one dominant force -- the Old Lady of Calcio.

They didn’t even try against Atalanta on Monday -- a side that hasn’t managed an away win at Juve since 1989 -- and yet the hosts still found a way to collect the three points. It was far from thrilling and barely even entertaining but can we really dare to criticise a side that has now managed 100 wins under the tutelage of this phenomenal coach?

Atalanta is a special club. They were the team Alessandro Del Piero played against in his last home match at Juventus' stadium when he retired his Bianconeri jersey, doing a lap of honour as he came off the pitch. They are the club that sold Juve the goal scorer from Monday night, Simone Padoin, and most importantly they produced and nurtured the Old Lady’s remarkable Gaetano Scirea -- a legend and perhaps the greatest defender to have ever graced Turin.

Boasting a stunning youth academy, a wonderful sporting director and a humble coach who lives for the city of Bergamo and the defence of its classy football, they were the perfect side to play on such a joyous occasion. History and reputation aside, they have also been fiercely impressive this season, managing to break records by collecting six wins in a row and are just three points away from equalling the best ever points tally in a season.

Unfortunately, they lacked the quality in the final third to make an impact against the champions. While they have dazzled against the likes of Inter this season on account of Giacomo Bonaventura’s technical ability, Maxi Moralez’s well timed runs and Luca Cigarini’s passing accuracy, they struggled to make the most of the possession Juventus granted them. They were of course without Cigarini while Stephan Lichtsteiner did well to halt Giacomo Bonaventura’s advances but the reality is, Juventus maintained a solid defensive shape when they lost possession.

With the ball at feet and allowed to attack, the Bianconeri -- hungover from happiness -- barely created in the first half. Unable to dribble past their markers, there was no intensity, little pace and no ingenuity. However, they did improve in the second half and that has much to do with Claudio Marchisio’s interpretation of the role, Carlos Tevez’ arrival on the pitch and the increase in intensity.

Yet to analyse this game in detail is to rob this team of the many compliments it deserves. This wasn’t a vintage performance simply because it didn’t need to be. The team have won a third consecutive title and are only four points away from collecting 100 points in the league. They have broken records, comprehensively beaten their biggest challengers and have gone a whole season without losing at home, not in Serie A and not in Europe.

Each year, they develop and their appetite grows. They have secured the strikers that have allowed them to finish off their many chances, nurtured a young midfielder in Paul Pogba who is now followed by all of Europe’s best and devised a strategy for the future that will keep them healthy, wealthy and competitive for many years.

Yet despite all they’ve accomplished collectively, both on and off the pitch, we cannot deny how much Conte has given them. His ideas, winning mentality and character have turned good players into world class footballers and without him, a sleeping giant might have still only been dreaming.

Rumours suggest the coach is interested in an adventure abroad and he did indeed hold talks with an English side recently. He is learning the language and the temptation is difficult to resist. However, that does not mean he will leave, it’s simply a possibility he has entertained; something he did the previous year when he was contacted by one of Europe’s best.

He wants guarantees in the sense he wants the opportunity to develop his tactical understanding. He would like a team with greater technical strength and players that allow him the flexibility to change schemes and perfect a philosophy. Juventus owns his heart -- he has never denied that. To be able to lift a European trophy with the team he captained is the reason he is still eager to discuss his future with management with a view of extending his stay.

He is the beating heart of this Old Lady, as are the players that have given their all to realise the club’s ambitions. From the many fans who have watched their every game this season, from the exciting wins over the likes of Roma to the soul crushing defeat at Florence, congratulations to Italy’s best team and here’s to another 32 titles.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
Ospite
Questa discussione è chiusa.
Accedi per seguire   

• Chi sta navigando   0 utenti

Nessun utente registrato visualizza questa pagina.

• Crea Nuovo...