xofhxd.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

May 11, 2014 - 5:45 PM
Olimpico Stadium — Rome
Referee:‬ Carmine Russo

Roma-Juventus Betting Preview: Fired-up
Giallorossi to keep things tight against the champions

Having handed the Old Lady a third consecutive title with a meek 4-1 defeat
against Catania last weekend, expect Rudi Garcia's men to put in a determined performance.

May 8, 2014

Roma will be hoping to bounce back from last weekend's shock 4-1 defeat against struggling Catania when they welcome Juventus to Stadio Olimpico on Sunday.

That result finally put an end to the Giallorossi's faint title hopes but they are 11/8 (2.38) favourites with bet365 to gain some consolation by beating the champions for the third time in a row at home.

After lifting a third consecutive Scudetto, Antonio Conte's men are aiming to become the first team in Serie A history to reach 100 points and are available at 15/8 (2.88) to move three points closer to that target with a victory in the capital.

The hosts have drawn just three games on home turf all season, but you can get odds of 12/5 (3.40) on them settling for a point this time out.

Having doggedly hung on to the runaway leaders' coat tails all season, Rudi Garcia's team will have been bitterly disappointed to hand them the title with such a meek defeat against a team seemingly destined for Serie B.

That performance will surely only serve to strengthen their resolve to give the fans something to cheer about in their final game on home turf, with victory against the champions providing the perfect incentive.

With this in mind, Roma are unlikely to lack any motivation as they look to continue their strong recent home record against the Old Lady, having won two and drawn one of the last three meetings at Stadio Olimpico.

The most recent of those results came via a 1-0 Coppa Italia win just this January, when the hosts' strong defensive record came to the fore in a tight victory.

No Serie A side have conceded fewer than the eight goals let in at home by Garcia's outfit this campaign, meaning even odds (2.00) offer solid value on them keeping the scoreline to under 2.5 in a hotly-contested game against the champions.

That bet would have paid out in each of the last four encounters between the teams at Stadio Olimpico, as well as five of Juventus' last six league games on the road.

http://www.goal.com/en/results-standings/69/italy-serie-a/table?ICID=SP_TN_111

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Roma-Juve kick off time moved over violence fears

After the troubles in the Italian capital before the Coppa Italia final,
Sunday's headline fixture has been moved from 20:45 CET to 17:45.

May 8, 2014

Sunday's game between Roma and Juventus has been brought forward three hours in a bid to avoid more fan violence at the Stadio Olimpico.

Supporters clashed prior to Napoli's 3-1 win over Fiorentina in the Coppa Italia final following trouble in the capital on Saturday, which resulted in kick-off being delayed by 45 minutes.

This weekend's Serie A fixture between second-placed Roma and champions Juve was scheduled to begin at 20:45 local time, but will now kick-off at 17:45 due to safety fears.

The decision was made after Roma magistrate Giuseppe Pecoraro consulted with local police and the league.

"When you need to make a decision to change something that has already been arranged it is obviously never a good thing," said Giovanni Malago, president of the Italian National Olympic Committee.

"But it is also clear that the decision has been taken to avoid having another problem rather than letting it occur."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Gervinho: Roma squad not complete
enough to win Scudetto

The Ivorian forward reflected positively on his side's season but feels the team
didn't have enough depth to challenge Juventus throughout the campaign.

May 8, 2014

Roma forward Gervinho believes his side didn't have enough strength in depth to challenge Juventus for the Serie A title this season.

Despite winning their first 10 games of the season and going unbeaten for a further seven before suffering their first defeat at the hands of Juve, Roma ceded the league title to Antonio Conte's men last week.

Gervinho, one of star performers for the runners-up this term, believes the Bianconeri simply had a more complete squad than Roma, who still, he insists, enjoyed a successful season.

"It has been a positive campaign in the sense that our objective was to get back into Europe. We achieved that," he told Roma Channel.

"We could’ve done better, but we are satisfied. The Scudetto was decided by details. We have a good squad but perhaps not complete enough to be competitive throughout the whole season.

"We gave our all but Juve had more strength in depth."

The 26-year-old says the campaign has been positive for him, adding that he is very content in the Italian capital.

"I think nine goals is a good tally and I can improve, as I created so many scoring opportunities that I didn’t take. It was a good season and I concentrated on giving my best for the team.

"The most important goal was the one against Juventus in the Coppa Italia. It might not have been the most beautiful goal, but it was the most important.

"If I had to choose the best goal, then I’ll say the one against Bologna. I hope to score against Juventus again this weekend."

The former Arsenal man admits he feels "important" at Roma and cited the influence of his coach at Lille in luring him to Serie A.

"I knew that Rudi Garcia would give me a lot of responsibility and believed in me, so that influenced my decision to come here.

"I have to say I am also satisfied to have provided 10 assists, as that was an objective I had set myself this season. I wanted to score more goals, but the coach told me to help my team-mates score too.

"I have a good rapport with all my team-mates and we joke around, even with the gardeners. Trigoria is like a second family.

"I am happy to be a part of this club and hope we can achieve many more satisfying moments together next year. We’ll try to return after the holidays stronger than ever."

As the World Cup approaches, the Gervinho was asked if he would prefer to win the summer's big prize or the Champions League with Roma.

"Why choose?" he replied. "I’d like to win with Roma and the Ivory Coast! Next season we need an even stronger side for the Champions League, so some new players to be even more competitive.

"We don’t just want to take part in this tournament, as we want to go as far as possible."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

34e7ujn.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Garcia: I’m glad Roma were able
to keep pressure on Juventus

May 8, 2014

Roma boss Rudi Garcia has revealed that he’s happy with his team’s ability to keep pressure on Juventus for most of the season despite falling short in the Scudetto race in the end.

The 50-year-old was able to keep the Giallorossi on the Old Lady’s tail for most of the campaign after losing the first place spot earlier in the campaign and he admits that he still believed in the capital city club’s chances of winning the Scudetto this term up until Juve’s recent 3-1 win over Sassuolo.

Garcia spoke to La Repubblica ahead of the Lupi’s home match with the Bianconeri on Sunday about his satisfaction with Roma’s season, while also commenting on his squad’s shocking 4-1 loss to Catania on May 4.

“I seriously believed in the title up until Juve’s victory over Sassuolo,” said the tactician, who has managed to secure the Giallorossi a place in the Champions League during his debut campaign with them.

“I’m pleased to have kept pressure on Juventus as they tried to earn their third Scudetto in a row.

“The loss to Catania? We all made mistakes, I for one. We’ll have to make up for it in these last two matches.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

swcy9l.png

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

MATCH PREVIEW

May 9, 2014

The title race may now be over, but Roma’s Week 37 meeting with Juventus will be as intense as ever.

The Bianconeri secured their 30th official Scudetto last Sunday, after Roma suffered an unexpected 4-1 defeat at Catania.

In truth, the title had been Turin-bound for a number of weeks, but the hope in Rome was that the battle could at least be drawn out until this weekend’s clash.

The loss to Catania, however, meant that wasn’t possible, but Roma have still had a remarkable season. The Giallorossi have been defeated just three times, while they have beaten their own points record and need just two more to match Juventus’s Scudetto winning total from last year.

The work Rudi Garcia has done ensures next season’s title race should be even closer, while the rivalry between himself and Antonio Conte has been stoked in recent weeks.

The Juventus tactician labelled Garcia ‘small minded’ after he suggested struggling teams ‘do nothing’ against Juventus. Conte also added that he ‘didn’t think Serie A needs Garcia’.

That last point could not be further from the truth, with Giorgio Chiellini admitting that, “their great campaign pushed us to go beyond 100 per cent.” Garcia himself perhaps put it best, “We compliment Juve, a great club with great players. Their record-breaking campaign is in part down to us and vice-versa.”

That extra motivation from their rivals leaves Juventus needing just two point to surpass Inter’s record return of 97.

It’s a feat they will expect to achieve, with Cagliari at home still to come, but Conte will hope to secure it in Rome and ensure Juventus have an early psychological edge ahead of next season.

For Garcia, memories of Roma’s 3-0 capitulation in Turin earlier in the campaign will still hurt. The 1-0 Coppa Italia victory was revenge of sorts, but Conte fielded a mixed line up. The tactician will do no such thing this time around. Arturo Vidal is his only notable absentee, while Gianluigi Buffon gets a rest.

Roma come into the tie without the suspended Alessio Romagnoli and long term casualties Kevin Strootman and Federico Balzaretti, but Garcia otherwise has a largely full strength squad to pick from.

Keep an eye on: Claudio Marchisio (Juventus) - The midfielder is getting back to his best after a difficult campaign. Having lost his first team place to Paul Pogba, it was suggested that Marchisio could move on. That talk seemed to initially affect him, but he’s come strong in recent weeks

Form Guide: Roma (W W W W L) Juventus (W W W W W)

Last season: Roma 1-0 Juventus

Stat fact
: Roma are unbeaten at the Stadio Olimpico this season.

ROMA (probable): De Sanctis; Maicon, Benatia, Castan, Torosidis; Nainggolan, De Rossi, Pjanic; Gervinho, Totti, Destro

JUVENTUS (probable): Storari; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Pogba, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asamoah; Tevez, Llorente

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Roma vs. Juventus Preview

May 9, 2014

Serie A's top two teams will square off on Sunday when Roma host Juventus at the Stadio Olimpico, and with the top two spots in the Italian league already decided, they will battle merely for honour and bragging rights.

Juventus have already secured the title and could choose to field a number of squad players, but the Bianconeri haven't beaten Roma at the Olimpico since 2011 and would love to break that streak.

The hosts on the other hand had won nine straight matches before Sunday's shock 4-1 loss at the hands of Catania, and the Giallorossi will be looking to get back on track as they seek to close out the season on a high.

Two Very Different Clubs:

Despite what the Italian league table would suggest, Juventus and Roma are teams having gone through very different campaigns in 2013-14.

On one hand there's Roma, who exceeded expectations with a young team, free-flowing attacking football and a future much brighter than it was a year ago.

There's the new stadium, which Di Marzio collaborator David Amoyal thinks will bring the club even closer to the level of Juventus:

David Amoyal @DavidAmoyal
Said it many times one of Juve's biggest edges in Serie A is their homefield advantage, Roma is smart in wanting to build a new stadium

Perhaps even more exciting is the emergence of young players like Mattia Destro and Miralem Pjanic, who really stepped up in 2014 and look set to help the Giallorossi bombard Italian defences with goals for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, there's Juventus. Despite celebrating their 30th Italian title (or 32nd, depending on who it is you're asking), the past season will be viewed as one of disappointment. :|

It all started with the snowstorm in Istanbul, which put paid to their Champions League hopes. That was followed by a number of lacklustre performances in the Europa League, culminating in the semi-final loss to Benfica.

In Serie A, Juventus managed to win matches without ever truly impressing.

In fact, per WhoScored.com, the Bianconeri haven't beaten an opponent by more than two goals since January. While winning is all that matters in Turin (it's the club's official motto), Juventus simply haven't been winning all that convincingly.

The futures of manager Antonio Conte and super-talent Paul Pogba are both very much up in the air, with the former refusing to commit his future at the club in front of the Sky Sports cameras, via football-italia.net:

“We have always said, along with the club, that we’ll talk it over when the situation calms down and analyse every aspect. These have been three very intense and stressful years, so I thank the lads for their incredible efforts and tonight confirms their professionalism.

[...] I repeat, we have to evaluate everything in all aspects and we’ll see.”

As shared by Goal's Carlo Garganese, the Bianconeri will be without star midfielder Arturo Vidal, who chose to have surgery on his right meniscus ahead of the upcoming World Cup:

Carlo Garganese @carlogarganese
Arturo Vidal recovery from surgery could take as long as 12 weeks, say @GoalChile .That would be World Cup over. Would be another huge loss

The Bianconeri replaced Vidal and Andrea Pirlo with Claudio Marchisio and Simone Padoin for their 1-0 win over Atalanta, and Marchisio will almost certainly start in the team's midfield three alongside Pirlo and Pogba. For the Italian international, it will be one last chance to show Cesare Prandelli he deserves to be a part of the Italian XI in next month's World Cup.

Injuries and suspensions cost the Giallorossi against Catania, as Roma were without Destro, Radja Nainggolan, Federico Balzaretti and Mehdi Benatia. Benatia in particular was a painful loss, as the Moroccan has emerged as one of the top defenders in 2013-14.

In fact, Kicker reportedly claims the veteran centre-back is set to join Bayern Munich during the summer transfer window, according to these fans:

Global Bayern Fans @BayernFansIntl
Kicker is reporting that Roma are willing to sell Benatia to FC Bayern for approx £20 mil

While neither team looks set to gain much from this match, a battle at the top of the table always brings out rivalry.

Juventus in particular could choose to field a couple of squad players in an attempt to determine whether they are deserving of a spot in next year's team (Padoin, Federico Peluso, Sebastian Giovinco) while Roma could use a sweep of the Italian champions to propel them to glory next season.

Ultimately, this match could come down to whichever team wants it most, and you would be foolish to bet against Roma in that case. Juventus' season since the start of the New Year can be best described as "lacklustre," while Roma have been one of the hungriest, most exciting teams in Europe.

On Sunday, that should be rewarded with a win and a clean sweep of the once-dominant Bianconeri, who need just four more points out of their last two matches to cross the 100-point mark for the first time in Serie A history.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

ye98m.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Serie A Preview: Roma v Juventus

Roma failed to halt Juventus' charge to the title, but can dent
their hopes of securing Serie A's highest points tally on Sunday.

May 9, 2014

Juve wrapped up a third straight Scudetto last Sunday thanks to Roma's surprise 4-1 reverse against Catania after Rudi Garcia's men had proven worthy title rivals for Antonio Conte's side.

Last weekend's results make Sunday's clash - which has been moved forward three hours after violence in the capital marred the Coppa Italia final - at the Stadio Olimpico a lot less meaningful than it would have been, although Juve still have plenty to play for.

A win for the newly crowned champions over Roma will secure Juve the highest points tally for a Serie A campaign - bettering Inter's haul of 97 in 2006-07.

Sebastian Giovinco spoke in the week about securing 100 points to cap off another impressive season for the club and Conte.

The calming influence of midfielder Andrea Pirlo has been a major factor in Juve's progress under Conte and he feels the success at the club has helped ward off thoughts of retirement.

"My motivation to go on is very strong, simply because I love playing football and having fun on the pitch," the 34-year-old told L'Equipe this week.

"I have always had fun every day on the training field and every weekend during the matches. I believe that is important. I don't feel any tiredness or weakness.

"I am happy at Juventus and I hope to be able to stay for a few more years."

Despite not being able to catch Juventus, Roma have managed to secure the second automatic UEFA Champions League place and sit 13 points clear of Napoli in third.

While Juve won the reverse fixture at a canter in January, as goals from Arturo Vidal, Leonardo Bonucci and Mirko Vucinic helped see off nine-man Roma 3-0, Garcia's side have beaten Juve this season.

Roma ended Juve's Coppa Italia campaign later that month thanks to Gervinho's late winner, with Garcia and his opposite number embroiled in a public spat of late.

When Garcia urged other teams in the league to raise their games against Juventus, Conte labelled Roma as "provincial" and later stated his side's achievements had become "almost expected" in comparison.

Despite their disagreements in the press over recent weeks and Roma's inability to stop Juve defending their title, Garcia is pleased with how his debut season in charge has panned out.

"Juve are accustomed to winning in Italy. We learned a lot this season but need to end the campaign better. Not only do the fans expect more next season, but so do I and the players," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"I will add, Sunday's match must only be a festival of football - for Roma to show they are happy with our season and be proud of what we’ve achieved."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

5obnts.jpg
WhoScored.com

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Preview: Roma v Juventus

May 9, 2014

Team News

Roma

• Alessio Romagnoli is suspended and he will miss out along with Kevin Strootman and Federico Balzaretti who have had their seasons ended early through injury.

• Mattia Destro and Radja Nainggolan will be back available and both are likely to start.

Juventus

• Arturo Vidal took advantage of the fact that the title has already been sewn up to undergo surgery on his injured knee.

• Apart from him, Antonio Conte will have his best XI available.

Match Facts

Juventus have won 12 of their last 13 matches in Serie A.

Roma have been winning at both half time and full time in 9 of their last 10 home matches in Serie A.

Roma have won 10 of their last 11 home matches in Serie A.

Juventus have been drawing at half time and winning at full time in their last 3 matches in Serie A.

Roma have scored at least 2 goals in 10 of their last 11 home matches in Serie A.

Roma have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 4 home matches against Juventus in all competitions.

Prediction

• Roma's defeat at Catania - coupled with Juventus' victory over Atalanta - took away the chance of this game being a top quality fight. However, even if the gap in the table makes this match irrelevant in terms of the title, it takes away from Juventus the option of playing for a draw and thus makes for a more interesting clash.

• Juve will be going for the 102-point mark, knowing that getting to three figures would be a record for the Italian league. Roma will want to prove that they can compete with the title winners and they will also seek revenge for the humiliating defeat they suffered in the reverse match. Both teams will go all out victory from the first minute to the last.

Prediction

Roma 1 - 1 Juventus

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

swcy9l.png

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Roma squad for Juventus

May 10, 2014

Roma have named their squad for tomorrow’s Serie A showcase with Juventus.

It kicks off at 17.45 CET.

The Giallorossi have already lost the Scudetto race, but are eager to prove they’re worthy challengers to the title holders.

Kevin Strootman and Federico Balzaretti are still sidelined, while Alessio Romagnoli is suspended.

Mattia Destro returns from his four-match ban, while Radja Nainggolan has also finished his time on the naughty step.

Roma squad for Juventus: Bastos, Benatia, Castan, De Rossi, De Sanctis, Destro, Dodo, Florenzi, Gervinho, Ljajic, Lobont, Maicon, Nainggolan, Pjanic, Skorupski, Taddei, Toloi, Torosidis, Totti

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

swcy9l.png

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Juventus squad for Roma

May 10, 2014

Juventus are without Arturo Vidal, Sebastian Giovinco and Mirko Vucinic against Roma.

The Bianconeri announced several problems in today’s training session that ruled players out of the trip.

Claudio Marchisio felt pain in his right foot, but is still in the squad.

Giovinco is suffering from an acute pain in his left thigh, Vucinic has a left knee problem.

Vidal is out for the rest of the season after undergoing keyhole surgery on his knee.

Juventus squad for Roma: Buffon, Chiellini, Caceres, Ogbonna, Pogba, Pepe, Marchisio, Tevez, Giovinco, Peluso, Llorente, Barzagli, Osvaldo, Bonucci, Padoin, Pirlo, Asamoah, Lichtsteiner, Quagliarella, Storari, Isla, Rubinho

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

swcy9l.png

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Garcia: 'Roma-Juve a celebration'

May 10, 2014

Rudi Garcia wants to see “enthusiasm and a celebration” in Roma-Juventus, but is without Morgan De Sanctis.

“This is the last game at the Olimpico in an extraordinary season for us,” said the Coach in his Press conference.

The Scudetto has already been decided, making this a battle purely for pride, as Roma want to show they are not necessarily inferior to the Bianconeri.

“We want to put in a good performance and I hope it will be a celebration for everyone. We had a record-breaking campaign, but in front of us Juventus broke even more records.

“I said that next season we might put together fewer points and win the Scudetto anyway. What proved the difference between Roma and Juve? I don’t know and today I don’t care, as I want to put out the best possible team and enjoy the game, playing it at 100 per cent.

“I want to see a Roma who play with enthusiasm and feel pleasure in playing a big game like this. It has to be a pleasure to play at this level.”

If Roma win tomorrow, it will mean over the course of the season they have beaten all 19 Serie A teams.

“The table is what it is, Roma second and Juve first. We beat Juve in the Coppa Italia and lost in Turin, so we will be very motivated.”

Garcia confirmed goalkeeper Morgan De Sanctis has a bruised arm he suffered against Catania, so 23-year-old Polish talent Lukasz Skorupski will start in goal, while Douglas Maicon needs a late fitness test.

Asked about Antonio Conte’s future at Juventus, Garcia went back on more old wounds.

“Juve and their Coach will do what they think is best. The important thing is that Roma are competitive next season and we are working on it. Speaking of Conte, I didn’t like some of his statements, let’s say looking for controversy, but someone who gets 96 points can only be a good Coach.”

Garcia was optimistic on Miralem Pjanic’s contract renegotiations and insisted it was “not decided” whether he’d leave on Tuesday to join Bosnia’s World Cup squad.

“He wants to remain, the President wants to keep him, so a compromise will be found.”

Would the Roma tactician ever accept the job at Juventus, if asked?

“I am the Coach of Roma, proud to be here, I want to stay for a long time and it would be an honour to win even half of what Sir Alex Ferguson achieved at Manchester United.

“There is rivalry between the clubs, but this must be purely sporting rivalry with fair play. I don’t want to put negativity into the game, as football must be a festival for children too.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Roma-Juventus Preview: Giallorossi
playing for pride against champions

Rudi Garcia's men are out to prevent their visitors from reaching a century of points
after the disappointment of ceding the Scudetto to the Bianconeri last week.

May 10, 2014

Roma failed to deny Juventus a third successive Serie A title but can dent their hopes of breaking the league's total points record on Sunday.

The Bianconeri wrapped up the Scudetto last Sunday thanks to the Giallorossi's surprise 4-1 loss at Catania, thus allowing the Old Lady to coast through a 1-0 victory over Atalanta in a party atmosphere in Turin just over 24 hours later.

Last weekend's results make Sunday's clash - which has been moved forward three hours after violence in the capital marred the Coppa Italia final - at the Stadio Olimpico a lot less meaningful than it would have been, although Juve still have plenty to play for.

A win for the newly crowned champions over Roma will secure Juve the highest points tally for a Serie A campaign - bettering Inter's haul of 97 in 2006-07.

Sebastian Giovinco spoke in the week about securing 100 points to cap off another impressive season for the club and Conte.

The calming influence of midfielder Andrea Pirlo has been a major factor in Juve's progress under Conte and he feels the success at the club has helped ward off thoughts of retirement.

"My motivation to go on is very strong, simply because I love playing football and having fun on the pitch," the 34-year-old told L'Equipe this week.

"I have always had fun every day on the training field and every weekend during the matches. I believe that is important. I don't feel any tiredness or weakness.

"I am happy at Juventus and I hope to be able to stay for a few more years."

Despite not being able to catch Juventus, Roma have managed to secure the second automatic Champions League place and sit 13 points clear of Napoli in third.

While Juve won the reverse fixture at a canter in January, as goals from Arturo Vidal, Leonardo Bonucci and Mirko Vucinic helped see off nine-man Roma 3-0, Garcia's side have beaten Juve this season, triumphing 1-0 when the two sides met in the Coppa Italia quarter-finals in January.

Consequently, there has been no end of tension between the clubs, which has manifested itself in a very public spat between Garcia and Conte of late.

When Garcia urged other teams in the league to raise their games against Juventus, Conte labelled Roma as "provincial" and later stated his side's achievements had become "almost expected" in comparison.

Despite their disagreements in the press over recent weeks and Roma's inability to stop Juve defending their title, Garcia is pleased with how his debut season in charge has panned out.

"Juve are accustomed to winning in Italy. We learned a lot this season but need to end the campaign better. Not only do the fans expect more next season, but so do I and the players," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"I will add, Sunday's match must only be a festival of football - for Roma to show they are happy with our season and be proud of what we’ve achieved."

Head to Head

Coppa Italia ‎-‎ Jan 21, 2014 - Roma 1 - 0 Juventus
Serie A - Jan 5, 2014 - Juventus 3 - 0 Roma
Serie A -‎ Feb 16, 2013 - Roma 1 - 0 Juventus
Serie A - Sep 29, 2012 - Juventus 4 - 1 Roma
Serie A ‎-‎ Apr 22, 2012 - Juventus 4 - 0 Roma

Last Five Matches

ROMA en_lost.pngen_won.pngen_won.pngen_won.pngen_won.png

May 4, 2014 - Catania 4 - 1 Roma - Serie A
Apr 25, 2014 - Roma 2 - 0 AC Milan - Serie A
Apr 19, 2014 - Fiorentina 0 - 1 Roma - Serie A
Apr 12, 2014 - Roma 3 - 1 Atalanta - Serie A
Apr 6, 2014 - Cagliari 1 - 3 Roma - Serie A

JUVENTUS en_won.pngen_drawn.pngen_won.pngen_lost.pngen_won.png

May 5, 2014 - Juventus 1 - 0 Atalanta - Serie A
May 1, 2014 - Juventus 0 - 0 Benfica - EL
Apr 28, 2014 - Sassuolo 1 - 3 Juventus - Serie A
Apr 24, 2014 - Benfica 2 - 1 Juventus - EL
Apr 19, 2014 - Juventus 1 - 0 Bologna - Serie A

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

6i70qd.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Preview: Round 37 —
Playing for pride ... and points

May 10, 2014

First, let's do a quick Juventus-related checklist before we get into the meat of this match preview.

• Win the Scudetto for a third straight year? Check.

• Party your ass off after winning the Scudetto for a third straight year? Check.

• Successfully reminding people at every single opportunity possible that Simone Padoin has as many Scudetti as Roma do in their history? Check, check, and check.

• Getting to the historic 100-point plateau? Well, there's still a little bit of work to do when it comes to that.

Juventus have clinched the Scudetto. They've won all but one of their home games this — because it hasn't been played yet. Then there's the countdown to the 100-point mark that Mr. Curry so aptly provided us. And it just so happens that Juventus' second-to-last game of the season is against the squad that will be finishing in second place behind Serie A's best.

In a perfect world, this No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup would have some kind of meaning on the season. Well, that is if you're in the business of selling newspapers in Italy. Can you imagine the hype that would be going on right now? Instead of rumors about Nani coming to Turin, Ciro Immobile leaving Turin and the rest of it all, we'd be hearing about what Juve need to do to break down Roma, what Roma need to do to try and stop Juventus, and so on and so on.

But a good portion of that will just have to be shelved because Juve won the title before this meeting of two really, really good teams has taken place.

JuventusFC ✔ @juventusfcen
Carrera: We're focused on the final games ahead. We'll give it all we've got to try and reach a record points haul.

GOOD NEWS

Juventus have won the Scudetto, Roma hasn't. I think that's pretty simple and gratifying at the same time.

BAD NEWS

We won't be seeing Arturo Vidal for the rest of the season. I know there's not a laundry list of things to play for these days with the Scudetto already being clinched, but it's Vidal and he's cool.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

1. Carlos Tévez vs. the Roma defense.

Remember for much of the season when Roma had Serie A's best defense and had allowed the fewest amount goals? Well, don't look now, but Juve and Roma have given up the same number of goals this season. We can thank Catania for a good number of those goals, but as we found out when Roma and Juve played at Juventus Stadium in January, the best defense in the league couldn't really handle the best offense. And, of course, a big portion in that is a certain Argentinian by the name of Carlitos, or Carlos Tévez if you want to be all official. Of his 19 goals this season, none of them have been scored against Roma. So, if you want Mr. Tévez to change that tomorrow, feel free to raise your hand. I have a feeling you won't be alone.

2. Claudio Marchisio and Paul Pogba vs. Miralem Pjanic and Radja Nainggolan.

I guess I could throw Andrea Pirlo and Daniele De Rossi into the mix, too, but I won't for the sake of saving time. The four players listed above are good. They been known to score a pretty nice goal or two in recent memory this season. All four are different kinds of midfielders, all which their own unique skill sets and, of course, importance to their respective teams. It would be pretty fun to see somebody like De Rossi face an Arturo Vidal, but that's not going to happen for obvious reasons. I guess we'll just have to settle for watching what might be Italy's starting midfield face off against one another. And those other guys, I guess they're pretty good, too.

3. Kwadwo Asamoah vs. Maicon.

Because there's not really much of anything riding on this game other than a 100-point record and probably some pride, I decided to concentrate on individual matchups rather than the bigger picture. You probably picked that up by now because you're smart people, so onward I go. So after concentrating on the center midfield, it's only natural we go out to the wings, where Maicon and Asamoah will certainly be seeing a lot of each other over the course of 90 minutes tomorrow night. You know, the same Maicon who has gone from looking kinda washed up to part of on his way to the World Cup this summer. When it comes to Asamoah, I can safely say that he will also be heading to Brazil this summer. But not as a wingback in all likelihood. So, this might be one of Asamoah's last wingback game for quite a few months. Hey, make it worth it, Kwadwo!

4. Antonio Conte vs. Rudi Garcia.

Let's face it, these are two of the best managers Serie A has right now. And when two really, really good managers go up against one another, there's always going to be the game within the actual game. Conte will want to win the game because he's Antonio Conte and winning is the bottom line. You would think that even though the Scudetto was won a few weekends ago thanks to Roma's rather stunning loss to Catania, Conte wants show Roma a little something. Like, you know, what Juve is all about once again.

My starting XI (3-5-2): Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Pogba, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asamoah; Llorente, Tévez

OFFICIAL KICKOFF TIME: 5:45 P.M. IN ITALY; 11:45 A.M. ON THE EAST COAST; 8:45 A.M. ON THE WEST COAST

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

How AS Roma Will Line Up Against Juventus

May 10, 2014

It's been quite the season for Roma and while they just fell short of the Scudetto, a win against champions Juventus would be the perfect way to sign off at the Olimpico in their final home game of the season.

Other than pride, there's not a lot to play for—at least for the Lupi. They'll certainly want to avenge the 3-0 defeat at Juventus Stadium back in January, but it's the guests who have something to aim for because with a win they'd remain on course to become the first Serie A club ever to break the 100-point barrier.

It had been hoped that the game between this year's two protagonists would mean more, coming so late in the season. There's also a personal element to the rivalry, as Antonio Conte and Rudi Garcia recently had a very public falling out.

Both managers have more-or-less full squads to choose from, with only Arturo Vidal missing for Juventus. Garcia can rely on much the same starting core that has been behind his fantastic debut season in Italy, with only the suspended Alessio Romagnoli and long term injuries Kevin Strootman and Federico Balzaretti out missing.

The Dutch international continues his rehabilitation, having returned to the club for a check-up and some work with Roma's doctors at Trigoria before returning to the Netherlands, according to a recently released club statement.

Mattia Destro should return to the line-up, following his three-match ban. The young striker can use the game to make a final case for inclusion in Cesare Prandelli's Italy squad for the upcoming World Cup, even though the 23-year-old believes he's done all he can to convince the Azzurri boss of his worth.

Speaking to Sky Sport Italia (here in English via football-italia.net), Destro said:

“It’s an important opportunity and a dream for all players. It is the pinnacle for a player during his career. I think I have demonstrated my quality and what I am capable of.

Because of the injury I’ve had I’ve played less, but I hope to be available for these final two matches of the season.

Prandelli? No, I haven’t heard from him. He will make his assessments and then decide.

The Champions League and the World Cup? If someone had offered me that a year ago I would have signed! It was difficult for me after my operation, but I have worked hard and you can see the results.”

The Giallorossi are unbeaten at the Olimpico, and will want to bounce back from last week's shock defeat to Catania. Juve, meanwhile, only need a point to match Inter's record of 97, set back in 2006-07.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

How Juventus Will Line Up Against AS Roma

May 10, 2014

When they went head-to-head back in January, it was set up as a decisive fixture that would show just how far AS Roma has come under Rudi Garcia.

Despite the Bianconeri recording an emphatic 3-0 victory, the match actually taught us very little about either team.

Since that heavy loss, the Giallorossi have maintained their previous excellent form and pushed the Turin giants harder than any other side has in the Antonio Conte era. The reigning champions preserved a gap which finally became insurmountable last week, the capital club's loss to Catania meaning they could no longer hope to catch La Madama.

With her third consecutive title already wrapped up, this clash between Serie A's two best teams will carry none of the weight of that first meeting. However, Juve are still expected to field a much stronger line-up than the one which defeated Atalanta last week.

Over the following pages are the names expected to be in the starting XI when the champions take the field against the runners-up on Sunday evening.

Goalkeeper

Having looked on as Gigi Buffon enjoyed another incredible season, Marco Storari is once again expected to start between the posts for Antonio Conte.

The former Milan man made his sixth start of the campaign last week, having largely filled in for Coppa Italia games and when the captain was suspended in late January and early February.

Storari was also part of the team eliminated from the cup by Roma, and the 37-year-old will hope to make amends after being beaten by Gervinho's near-post flick.

It is unlikely that the match will see an appearance for third-choice stopper Rubinho, who may have to wait until next week's final game for his first action of the campaign.

Defence

After running out Angelo Ogbonna in the central role last week, Conte is expected to entrust his regular back three in this fixture.

Their excellent form is the basis for the club's success, and the names of Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini are now well established as one of Europe's most formidable defences.

Interestingly, the two sides will head into this game with identical defensive records, each having conceded 23 league goals in 2013-14.

Midfield

Despite the heroics of Simone Padoin last week, the Bianconeri are widely expected to return him to a spot on the bench, instead opting to field their five regular starters in midfield.

Rotation in the wide roles should see Kwadwo Asamoah and Stephan Lichtsteiner return, their balance vital to spreading the field for Juventus.

Between them, Conte is tipped to select Andrea Pirlo, Claudio Marchisio and Paul Pogba, with his options limited by the decision to send Arturo Vidal to Barcelona for surgery.

According to the club’s official website, the Chilean underwent a successful operation on his right knee on Wednesday.

Attack

Again Juventus, having fielded Sebastian Giovinco and Daniel Osvaldo on Monday, are tipped to start their regular pairing up front.

The performances of Carlos Tevez and Fernando Llorente in their debut Serie A campaigns has been excellent, the duo sharing no fewer than 38 goals between them in 2013-14.

With them firing from the opening day next term, the Bianconeri will hope to enjoy a much more successful Champions League adventure when next season begins.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

swcy9l.png

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Tension around Roma-Juve

May 11, 2014

There is tension ahead of Roma-Juventus, as it’s rumoured Napoli fans could try to take revenge, while Giallorossi ultras investigate the shooter.

This will be the first match played at the Stadio Olimpico since last Saturday’s Coppa Italia Final, which was marred by the shooting of Napoli supporter Ciro Esposito.

The incident occurred in the Tor di Quinto area of the city, so beyond the perimeters set up by police, and is believed to be an ambush by Roma ultras on visiting Napoli fans.

At first it was claimed only one shooter was responsible – 48-year-old Daniele De Santis, known as Gastone – who had been banned from games for some years already.

However, police now believe there were at least five and possibly as many as 10 people involved in organising the ambush.

Roma-Juventus was brought forward to 16.45 UK time (15.45 GMT) amid security fears around the match.

Some Napoli ultras have warned they will infiltrate the groups of supporters going to the Olimpico in order to ‘avenge’ the shooting of Esposito.

This is the exact opposite of what Esposito’s mother wants, as she publicly called for this game to be ‘dedicated’ to Ciro.

“Don’t let them shoot Ciro again. Stay united, dedicate this game to Ciro, let it be a match of heart and not of violence,” appealed Antonella Leardi.

However, La giornalaccio rosa dello Sport insists Roma ultras are furious with those who organised the ambush and are conducting their own investigation to root out the perpetrators.

They consider the attack to be ‘unauthorised’ and breaking all rules of ultras tactics, as it involved the use of guns, was a surprise ambush and the other members of the group abandoned De Santis to his fate.

It is therefore possible the police will collaborate with organised Roma ultras groups to find those responsible for last week’s shocking incident.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

swcy9l.png

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Line-ups: Roma-Juventus

May 11, 2014

Roma-Juventus is a Serie A showcase with Mattia Destro, Gervinho and Francesco Totti against Carlos Tevez, Fernando Llorente and Andrea Pirlo.

Destro is back in the starting XI after his four-match ban and is eager to make the most of this spotlight to earn his place at the World Cup.

He is supported by Totti and Gervinho, while Miralem Pjanic starts to celebrate signing a new four-year contract.

Morgan De Sanctis is out after he suffered a bruised arm, while Alessio Romagnoli is suspended, so Skorupski starts in goal.

Juventus are without Arturo Vidal, Mirko Vucinic and Sebastian Giovinco, while Gigi Buffon is rested in favour of Marco Storari.

Tevez and Llorente lead the way with Pirlo and Paul Pogba in midfield, while Daniel Osvaldo is on the bench against his former club.

ROMA: Skorupski; Torosidis, Benatia, Castan, Bastos; Nainggolan, De Rossi, Pjanic; Gervinho, Totti, Destro

JUVENTUS: Storari; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Padoin, Pirlo, Pogba, Asamoah; Tevez, Llorente

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

swcy9l.png

ROMA - JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

HT 0-0: Roma-Juve close shaves

May 11, 2014

It’s all square between Roma and Juventus at half-time, as Paul Pogba hit the upright and a great save denied Gervinho.

The top two positions were already secured last week, so this was the opportunity for a Serie A showcase between the best teams in Italy this season. The Bianconeri were still hoping to be the first club to accumulate 100 points, but Arturo Vidal, Mirko Vucinic and Sebastian Giovinco were sidelined. The Giallorossi were without Morgan De Sanctis, Kevin Strootman and Federico Balzaretti, so Lukasz Skorupski got his first Serie A start. Mattia Destro returned after a four-match ban and wanted to prove himself for a World Cup call.

There was good news before kick-off, as Roma announced they have agreed a four-year contract renewal with Miralem Pjanic.

Marco Storari was given another chance in goal and smothered a Michel Bastos snapshot, then at the other end Carlos Tevez saw his effort deflected wide.

The Giallorossi thought they had taken the lead after 16 minutes with Vasilis Torosidis on a Gervinho cross, but he handled to bundle it over the line from six yards.

Skorupski was alert to flap a dangerous Andrea Pirlo cross off the head of Fernando Llorente at the back post. Destro knocked down a ball for Francesco Totti’s fierce half-volley that Storari fingertipped out from under the bar.

Gervinho’s slide-rule pass let Destro clear on goal, but the striker’s first touch let him down one-on-one against Storari.

Llorente took advantage of a Mehdi Benatia error and stung Skorupski’s gloves at the near post with a powerful finish.

Gervinho dribbled down the right to pull back from the by-line, but it was between Destro and Totti, eventually fired over by Radja Nainggolan.

Llorente’s cushioned header was straight at the goalkeeper, then spun round to fire just over from a very tight angle.

Gervinho sprinted between centre-backs on a Pjanic through ball, but Storari made himself big to parry with one hand.

Juventus went extremely close just before half-time, as from a throw-in Paul Pogba’s angled drive surprised Skorupski to thump the base of the far post.

Roma 0-0 Juventus (Half-Time)

Roma: Skorupski; Torosidis, Benatia, Castan, Bastos; Nainggolan, De Rossi, Pjanic; Gervinho, Totti, Destro

Juventus: Storari; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Padoin, Pirlo, Pogba, Asamoah; Tevez, Llorente

Ref: Russo

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

ROMA 0 - 1 JUVENTUS

Pablo Daniel Osvaldo (90+4′)

Olimpico Stadium — Rome
Attendance:‬ 39000‎

Osvaldo snatches victory
against former club

The ex-Giallorossi striker scored deep into second-half stoppage time
to settle a heated encounter between Serie A's top two sides.

34quzgx.jpg

May 11, 2014

Pablo Osvaldo returned to haunt former club Roma on Sunday as his last-minute goal handed Juventus a 1-0 win at Stadio Olimpico.

Goalkeepers Marco Stotari and Lukasz Skorupski were the stars of the show in a heated encounter between the sides, with neither team looking likely to break the deadlock after a fiercely-competitive 90 minutes.

However, Italy international Osvaldo - who was greeted by a chorus of boos from the home crowd as he came on in the second half - converted Stephan Lichsteiner's cross to seal all three points for the newly-crowned champions.

Juve move on to 99 points, beating the tally set by Inter in 2006-07, as Antonio Conte's men stand on the edge of reaching triple figures.

The kick-off time at Stadio Olimpico was brought forward by three hours following trouble in the capital before last week's Coppa Italia final.

It did little to dampen the atmosphere inside Roma's home ground as the supporters got behind their team, who started on the front foot but saw Francesco Totti and Mattia Destro fire off target.

Any fears that the game would be treated as a dead rubber were dispelled inside the opening half, which was played at a frenetic pace.

The visitors spurned an excellent chance to take the lead with 15 minutes gone when Carlos Tevez worked room for a shot inside the box but scuffed tamely wide.

Just a minute later at the other end, Vasilis Torosidis was denied his second league goal of the season after being adjudged to have handled the ball over the line.

Top scorer Destro wasted an opening when a heavy touch allowed Storari to save, while Roma debutant Skorupski made two good stops from Fernando Llorente as the contest became increasingly open.

Indeed, Juve's defence was wide open six minutes before the break when Gervinho raced through on goal, but he was thwarted by the onrushing Storari.

The woodwork came to Roma's rescue on the stroke of half-time, Pogba's powerful drive striking Skorupski's left upright.

Chiellini was fortunate to avoid sanction when he appeared to elbow Pjanic in a defensive wall for Andrea Pirlo's ultimately wasted free kick around the hour mark.

Pjanic, who signed a new four-year deal before the game, took matters into his own hands and was booked for a blatant foul on Chiellini a minute later.

Skorupski was forced into an athletic save from Lichtsteiner and Storari produced a fine double stop to deny Radja Nainggolan and substitute Alessandro Florenzi.

But, as the clock ticked down, Lichtsteiner's cut-back was turned into the corner by Osvaldo - Roma's top scorer last season - to spark jubilant celebrations among the travelling support and move Juve to the brink of history while ending the Giallorossi's unbeaten run at home in Serie A.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

swcy9l.png

ROMA 0 - 1 JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Osvaldo decides Roma-Juve

Daniel Osvaldo scored against his old Roma teammates
as Juventus won 1-0 to set a new record of 99 points.

1zmcdgw.jpg

May 11, 2014

The top two positions were already secured last week, so this was the opportunity for a Serie A showcase between the best teams in Italy this season. The Bianconeri were still hoping to be the first club to accumulate 100 points, but Arturo Vidal, Mirko Vucinic and Sebastian Giovinco were sidelined. The Giallorossi were without Morgan De Sanctis, Kevin Strootman and Federico Balzaretti, so Lukasz Skorupski got his first Serie A start. Mattia Destro returned after a four-match ban and wanted to prove himself for a World Cup call.

There was good news before kick-off, as Roma announced they have agreed a four-year contract renewal with Miralem Pjanic.

Marco Storari was given another chance in goal and smothered a Michel Bastos snapshot, then at the other end Carlos Tevez saw his effort deflected wide.

The Giallorossi thought they had taken the lead after 16 minutes with Vasilis Torosidis on a Gervinho cross, but he handled to bundle it over the line from six yards.

Skorupski was alert to flap a dangerous Andrea Pirlo cross off the head of Fernando Llorente at the back post. Destro knocked down a ball for Francesco Totti’s fierce half-volley that Storari fingertipped out from under the bar.

Gervinho’s slide-rule pass let Destro clear on goal, but the striker’s first touch let him down one-on-one against Storari.

Llorente took advantage of a Mehdi Benatia error and stung Skorupski’s gloves at the near post with a powerful finish.

Gervinho dribbled down the right to pull back from the by-line, but it was between Destro and Totti, eventually fired over by Radja Nainggolan.

Llorente’s cushioned header was straight at the goalkeeper, then spun round to fire just over from a very tight angle.

Gervinho sprinted between centre-backs on a Pjanic through ball, but Storari made himself big to parry with one hand.

Juventus went extremely close just before half-time, as from a throw-in Paul Pogba’s angled drive surprised Skorupski to thump the base of the far post.

After the restart Bastos again tested Storari from distance, then the goalkeeper beat away a Torosidis effort and saw Destro’s follow-up deflected just wide.

Daniele De Rossi went off with a muscular problem and Giorgio Chiellini was extremely lucky to escape a red card on 58 minutes when he raised an elbow on to Pjanic’s face in the wall during a Pirlo free kick. The defender had already been carded, so at the very least it would’ve been a second yellow.

The referee did not spot that elbow, so Pjanic took revenge moments later and hacked down Chiellini for a booking.

Skorupski was again decisive on Stephan Lichtsteiner’s rising strike, though Llorente was furious he wasn’t set up in a better position.

Storari performed a fantastic double save in the closing stages, as he got down to beat away Nainggolan’s effort, then back up to deny Alessandro Florenzi’s follow-up from close range.

Just as a stalemate seemed inevitable at the Stadio Olimpico, Daniel Pablo Osvaldo popped up with the Juventus winner. Pogba rolled through for Lichtsteiner down the right and he pulled back for Osvaldo, who was unmarked and swept his finish into the far top corner with the inside of his right foot.

ROMA: Skorupski; Torosidis, Benatia (Toloi 71), Castan, Bastos; Nainggolan, De Rossi (Taddei 54), Pjanic; Gervinho, Totti, Destro (Florenzi 79)

JUVENTUS: Storari; Barzagli (Caceres 74), Bonucci, Chiellini; Lichtsteiner, Padoin (Marchisio 83), Pirlo, Pogba, Asamoah; Tevez, Llorente (Osvaldo 74)

Ref: Russo

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

34e7ujn.jpg

ROMA 0 - 1 JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Osvaldo strikes six seconds
from end to haunt old friends

2r7viuo.jpg

May 11, 2014

Juventus got a 1-0 victory over second placed Roma at the Stadio Olimpico in Serie A on Sunday afternoon.

It was to be Roma’s top goal scorer from last season Pablo Osvaldo who would secure the points for the already crowned champions with the last kick of the game in the 94th minute as the game was seemingly going to close out as a 0-0 draw.

The first half saw very few chances to begin with but both teams would have expected to have at least opened the scoring.

Within 20 minutes Roma had the ball in the net as Torosidis was deemed to have handled the ball by the referee.

Roma, who were on top in the opening exchanges then had a long-range effort blazed over from Francesco Totti. A long ball up to Destro was chested down for the captain to shoot from 25 yards but missed with a good effort.

Juventus then felt their way back into the game as Llorente’s effort was shot straight at Skorupski. He also had another chance after turning Benatia but shot over from a tight angle.

Gervinho had Roma’s best chance of the first 45 minutes after a poor pass from Bonucci was seized upon from by the Roma midfield. The next pass was to put the Ivorian through one on one with Storari with the stand in Juventus keeper saving well.

Paul Pogba finished off the first half chances and it was probably the closest to putting the champions one up.

The Frenchman received the ball from Llorente just inside the Roma area and then found himself enough room in the box to strike to wards the bottom corner but it hit the post and was cleared.

On reflection, a goal less first half than could and probably should have ended with a goal each.

The second half kicked off with Roma relieved to have not conceded from that Pogba attempt.

Torosidis found his was into the Juventus area as the visitors fell asleep after half time.

The right back drove through before shooting towards the bottom left corner but was saved by Storari who started the second half as he ended the first.

Blood pressure shot up for anyone associated with the Italian national team five minutes later as Daniele De Rossi slipped innocuously when challenging Llorente in his own defensive third.

The combative midfielder was taken off with what seemed as a precaution as it wasn’t too loon after the cameras had caught the Roman sitting in the dug out.

A Pirlo free kick was taken and then play pulled back as Miralem Pjanic went down under pressure from Chiellini. The Juventus centre back was shown to have elbowed the Bosnian when standing in the wall. Chiellini can count himself a little lucky having already been booked in the first half.

The second half never really flowed but it was Pirlo who supplied the next chance from a free kick just over the half way line. He played Lichsteiner in on the right hand side of the Roma box but another Juventus chance was saved.

It was 17 minutes from time where the soon to be pantomime villain entered the fray as Osvaldo replaced Fernando Llorente but it was Roma who should have won it with minutes remaining.

Nainggolan stole the ball from Padoin about 40 yards from goal. The Belgian ran at the Juventus back three and struck but Storari saved again with the ball falling to the feet of Roma substitute Florenzi. He thought he scored but Storari pulled off yet more heroics with another save.

That save would prove to be vital and with the clock ticking towards 94 minutes, Lichsteiner found room down Roma’s left after Michel Bastos was taken off injured. He delivered a cross that eventually found Osvaldo who struck into the Roma net to give the champions a dramatic 1-0 win.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

2wg6lhu.png

ROMA 0 - 1 JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Juventus edge towards 100-point
mark with late win over Roma

sg5z7q.jpg

May 11, 2014

Serie A champions Juventus have picked up their seventh consecutive league victory to move within one point of becoming the first team to break the 100-point barrier in Italian football history.

Pablo Osvaldo scored deep into second-half stoppage time to hand Juventus the victory over second-placed Roma, extending the gap at the top to 14 points.

It was the hosts who threatened first, however, coming close midway through the opening half when Francesco Totti's volley from the edge of the box flew narrowly over the bar.

Juventus' first real opening came just three minutes later as Fernando Llorente found space inside the box, only to be denied by a smart stop from Lukasz Skorupski.

Llorente came close again with 10 minutes remaining of the half, but this time he couldn't keep his shot down having latched on to a pass inside the area.

Roma had a chance of their own to break the deadlock five minutes later as Gervinho weaved his way past a number of tackles and into a shooting position, but his subsequent effort was straight at Marco Storari.

The visitors almost grabbed the opener right on the stroke of half time when Paul Pogba poked the ball towards goal from inside the box, but his effort came back off the post.

Roma had the first chance of the second half when Vassilis Torosidis was played through on goal, but with only the keeper to beat he was denied by Storari.

Skorupski in the Roma goal was also called into action with 20 minutes of the match remaining, pulling off a fine stop to deny Llorente once again.

The hosts had a great chance to take the lead in the 82nd minute when Radja Nainggolan's effort was pushed into the path of Alessandro Florenzi, but Storari recovered in time to make the double save.

Pogba then threatened late on before the opener finally came in the 94th minute as Stephan Lichtsteiner's pass found Osvaldo, who fired a first-time effort home to give his side the win that sees them overtake Inter's previous single-season points record of 97.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

xofhxd.jpg

ROMA 0 - 1 JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Player Ratings

Pablo Osvaldo went from hero to villain to score against his former team with the last kick

of the game, giving the Bianconeri a record 99 points with one match remaining.

24658p2.jpg

May 11, 2014

ROMA

Lukasz Skorupski - He made a number of top-class saves and showed some excellent positioning. Hung out to dry by his defenders for the winning goal, as they seemed merely to be waiting for full-time.

Vasilis Torosidis - Great work ethic from the makeshift defender, who was a factor at both ends of the pitch. Made a number of great runs that produced some real scoring opportunities for the hosts.

Mehdi Benatia - Did some great work to keep Tevez extremely quiet. Didn't pose as much of a threat on set pieces as he usually does. Subbed off in the 71st minute.

Leandro Castán - Had a difficult time dealing with Llorente in the first half. Settled into the match and really shored things up until Osvaldo's winner.

Michel Fernandes Bastos - Wasn't able to create as much in attack as his wing-back partner, but was solid in defence. Held Lichtsteiner at bay, but was caught sleeping late on, allowing Juventus to produce the winning goal.

Radja Nainggolan - Read the game superbly in midfield, showing strength and pace to glide past defenders, as well as win back the ball. Denied twice by Storari in the dying moments when he looked sure to have given Roma the lead.

Daniele De Rossi - Not the usual imposing figure we are used to seeing in midfield. Failed to stamp his authority on the match, before coming off injured shortly after half-time.

Miralem Pjanic - Celebrated a new contract with some fantastic work in midfield, showing great skill on the ball to work it into attack. Showed his vision with a number of great passes, including one to send Gervinho on a breakaway.

Gervinho - Superb when on the ball. Made some brilliant runs. Should have done better on a first-half breakaway where he inexplicably tried to chip the keeper.

Francesco Totti - Passing was sloppy and wasteful. Never afraid to go for goal and was inches wide with a volley in the first half. Got stuck in a sort of back-and-forth with Chiellini that continued throughout the match.

Mattia Destro - First game back from a four-match suspension and he looked to be a bit off the pace. Acted as a provider up top, and created a number of chances, but didn't pose enough of a threat at goal himself.

Substitutions

Rafael Tolói
- Slotted in for Benatia, but couldn't keep up with his high standards of defending. Struggled to deal with Pogba, then failed to cover Osvaldo for the winning goal.

Rodrigo Taddei - Came on a bit into the second half and meshed well in midfield.

Alessandro Florenzi - Late sub, didn't see much of the ball.

JUVENTUS

MARCO STORARI - Brilliant, Buffon-esque performance by the goalkeeper. Two magnificent saves to deny Nainggolan late on, and some good reflexes to stop a Gervinho breakaway in the first half.

Andrea Barzagli - Struggled at times with the pace of Roma in attack, but always managed to recover. What he lacked in speed, he more than made up for with good positioning.

Leonardo Bonucci - Hardly put a foot wrong at the back. Dealt well with Totti and Destro. Typical workmanlike performance from the central defender.

Giorgio Chiellini - Uncharacteristic performance from the defender who was more focused on silly antics than the match itself. Got into it with a number of Roma players, and was lucky not to be sent off after elbowing Pjanic early in the second half.

Stephan Lichtsteiner - Quiet for much of the match, but sprung to life late on. Denied the winner by a great save from Skorupski, but wouldn't be held out long as a smart run and pass led to the winning goal.

Paul Pogba - All over the place in midfield. Got forward very well, but just lacked a bit of composure with his final balls. He was involved in nearly every Juventus attack. Unlucky not to have scored himself.

Andrea Pirlo - Very poor from Pirlo, who couldn't even get his set pieces right. Outworked and outclassed by Pjanic and Nainggolan in midfield.

Simone Padoin - Another weak link for Juventus. Completely outplayed by Roma's midfielders. Got in the way a few times as he tracked back to defend, but couldn't provide any help in attack.

Kwadwo Asamoah - Didn't see too much of the ball. Tracked back well to help in defence, but couldn't create enough in the final third.

Carlos Tévez - Kept quiet by Benatia. His only shot on goal came within 10 minutes, where he would have been better off passing to a wide open Lichtsteiner towards the far post.

Fernando Llorente - Proved a real menace for Roma to deal with. Used his strength to create and get on the end of a number of chances. Had a few clear-cut opportunities, but was a bit wasteful with his final attempts on goal.

Substitutions

Martín Cáceres
- Late substitution, but didn't miss a beat defensively.

Claudio Marchisio - Came on with little time to play. Had one nice run to win a free kick, but didn't see much of the ball aside from that.

Pablo Daniel Osvaldo - The hero for Juventus, as he scored his only chance of the match, on the final kick of the game, to give his current team the win over his former.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

ye98m.jpg

ROMA 0 - 1 JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Serie A: Roma 0 Juventus 1

Pablo Daniel Osvaldo's last-gasp goal helped Juventus surpass
the Serie A points record as they overcame Roma 1-0 at the Stadio Olimpico.

1zpgocn.jpg

May 11, 2014

The champions moved on to 99 points, beating the tally set by Inter in 2006-07, as Antonio Conte's men stand on the edge of reaching triple figures.

Juve need to avoid defeat against Cagliari on the final day to achieve that feat, though they will hope to do so in less dramatic circumstances than Sunday.

Paul Pogba struck the post just before the break and Gervinho wasted a gilt-edged one-on-one, though Giorgio Chiellini could have been dismissed for an elbow on Miralem Pjanic in the second half.

However, in the fourth minute of stoppage time former Roma man Osvaldo steered home his first Serie A goal of the season from the bench, ending Roma's unbeaten record on their own patch this term.

Roma's title challenge had ended with a desperate 4-1 reverse at Catania last week, leaving Juve to wrap up their third consecutive Scudetto and the result served as a reminder of their dominance.

The kick-off time at the Stadio Olimpico was brought forward by three hours following trouble in the capital before last week's Coppa Italia final.

It did little to dampen the atmosphere inside Roma's home ground as the supporters got behind their team, who started on the front foot but saw Francesco Totti and Mattia Destro fire off target.

Any fears that the game would be treated as a dead rubber were dispelled inside the opening half, which was played at a frenetic pace.

The visitors spurned an excellent chance to take the lead with 15 minutes gone when Carlos Tevez worked room for a shot inside the box but scuffed tamely wide.

Just a minute later at the other end, Vasilis Torosidis was denied his second league goal of the season after being adjudged to have handled the ball over the line.

Top scorer Destro wasted an opening when a heavy touch allowed Marco Storari to save, while Roma debutant Lukasz Skorupski made two good stops from Fernando Llorente as the contest became increasingly open.

Indeed, Juve's defence was wide open six minutes before the break when Gervinho raced through on goal, but he was thwarted by the onrushing Storari.

The woodwork came to Roma's rescue on the stroke of half-time, Pogba's powerful drive striking Skorupski's left upright.

Chiellini was fortunate to avoid sanction when he appeared to elbow Pjanic in a defensive wall for Andrea Pirlo's ultimately wasted free-kick around the hour mark.

Pjanic, who signed a new four-year deal before the game, took matters into his own hands and was booked for a blatant foul on Chiellini a minute later.

Skorupski was forced into an athletic save from Stephan Lichtsteiner and Storari produced a fine double save to deny Radja Nainggolan and substitute Alessandro Florenzi.

But, as the clock ticked down, Lichtsteiner's cut-back was turned into the corner by Osvaldo - Roma's top scorer last season - to spark jubilant celebrations among the travelling support and move Juve to the brink of history.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

smrn9d.jpg

ROMA 0 - 1 JUVENTUS

Olimpico Stadium — Rome

Osvaldo Winner Leads
Juve over Roma

jzcp49.jpg

May 11, 2014

Juventus reinforced their position as the best side in Serie A with a 1-0 win over Roma in the Eternal City.

Roma made a superb start to the season but were unable to keep up the momentum, and Juventus ultimately stormed to the title.

Carlo Garganese @carlogarganese
Failure to rotate made this record possible but also cost Juve in Europe. Will need to understand, different ingredients needed in Europe

Sunday’s game at the Stadio Olimpico handed Roma the chance to throw down a marker ahead of next season, but they were unable to find a way past Juve.

And it was Juventus who stamped their class, although they left it late to seal the win—with Dani Osvaldo netting deep into injury time.

Anthony Lopopolo @sportscaddy
Osvaldo seals the game for Juve! 99 points -- another Serie A record.

Roma made a bright start and had the ball in the net on 17 minutes, but Vasilis Torosidis was penalised for handball.

Roma legend Francesco Totti came close to rolling back the years on 23 minutes, as he showed exquisite control on the edge of the box before firing a fizzing drive narrowly over the bar.

Juve took some time to find their stride but had a major chance when Fernando Llorente galloped clear. The forward made crisp contact with his shot but was denied by a fine save from Lukasz Skorupski.

Gervinho had a massive chance for Roma on 39 minutes, but Marco Storari stood tall to deny the former Arsenal forward.

Paul Pogba was quiet in the opening 45 minutes, but he almost stole the show seconds before the break when crashing a shot against a post.

Storari was handed a rare start, with Gianluigi Buffon rested, but he more than justified his place with a fine save to deny Torosidis on 50 minutes.

The Juventus keeper kept his side on level terms in the final 10 minutes with a superb double save to deny Radja Nainggolan and Alessandro Florenzi as Roma failed to find a winner:

JuventusFC ✔ @juventusfcen
An excellent double save from Storari, first denying Nainggolan before regaining his feet to thwart Florenzi's follow up.

The great Andrea Pirlo had a chance to win it late on for Juventus when Carlos Tevez was brought down on the edge of the box, but he was unable to find his range with the free-kick.

Where Pirlo failed, Osvaldo did not. Stephan Lichtsteiner drove to the byline and pulled the ball back for Osvaldo, who slotted home.

He is on loan at Juventus from Southampton, and it is not clear whether the move will be made into a permanent arrangement. He certainly did his cause no harm with a late winner to break Roma hearts.

Speaking immediately after the game, Pogba made it clear Juventus want to crack the century of points in the final game of the season. He said, "Now we'll go for a 100-point finish—we can do it.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
Ospite
Questa discussione è chiusa.
Accedi per seguire   

• Chi sta navigando   0 utenti

Nessun utente registrato visualizza questa pagina.

• Crea Nuovo...