Vai al contenuto
Socrates

Giorgio Chiellini

130799 messaggi

imagegoalcomconcept2sub.jpg

Chiellini: Juventus won't throw away Champions League spot

The Italy international has expressed his delight with the Bianconeri's imminent return

to European club football's elite tournament as he feels they will finish at least second.

Apr 2, 2012

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini is confident that the Old Lady will finish at least second in the Serie A table following their 3-0 win over Napoli on Sunday evening.

The Turin giants currently hold an 11-point lead over third-place Lazio, while trailing leaders AC Milan by two points, and Chiellini believes that Juve have already secured Champions League football for next season.

"We’ve booked our ticket to travel around Europe again. I don’t want to be conceited, but I don’t think that we will throw away our lead over the third-placed side in the table in the eight remaining games," Chiellini stated to the official Juve website.

"The win over Napoli was a very good result. Because even though we are obviously looking ahead, we mustn’t forget that just two or three games ago, people said we had to be careful and cast a glance over our shoulders.

"We have to continue on this path. We’ve reached this position just because we have confidence in our qualities."

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Chiellini: Juventus will fight for the Scudetto until the end

The 27-year-old stopper is refusing to write off his side's chances in the competition

and says his team will fight until they are mathematically out of the race for the title.

Apr 4, 2012

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has guaranteed that his side will do their utmost to dethrone AC Milan in Serie A.

The Bianconeri are two points behind Milan in second place, with eight matches remaining in the competition.

Juventus will not play against Milan again before the end of the season, but Chiellini has warned that his side will try to take advantage of any slip-ups from the Rossoneri.

"I am certain Juventus will fight to the end for the Scudetto," Chiellini said during a visit to a local school.

"I tell youngsters not to smoke, to eat healthily and do a lot of sports," he added.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Chiellini: Juventus want to finish the season unbeaten

The 27-year-old defender believes that the club fully deserve the Serie A title

this term and has now set his sights on a domestic double .

May 7, 2012

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has claimed that the club fully deserve their 28th official Scudetto, and hopes they can go on to win the Coppa Italia.

The Italy international was part of the starting XI that beat Cagliari 2-0 on Sunday to secure the Serie A title, and he was quick to praise the whole squad for their efforts.

“After so many years, this victory is deserved for all our hard work,” the 27-year-old told Sky Sports Italia. “There will be a huge party and then we will have a few days off.

“The aim of this season does not end with just the Scudetto. We want to finish unbeaten and then win the Coppa Italia. And next season, we want to do well in Europe.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini: From Serie B to glory!

May 8, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini of Juventus insists that Scudetto victory tastes even sweeter after his spell in the Second Division with the outfit.

Chiellini was part of a group of players which stayed loyal to the Old Lady after the Calciopoli sporting trial saw them demoted from Serie A in 2006.

“I’m proud that I was at this club during the Serie B years,” the centre-back, who has ben used as a left-back this term, stated.

“They were tough times, but this Scudetto has made up for all of the disappointments. Now let’s hope we can start a new winning cycle.

“We deserved the Scudetto on the field of play. We’re still unbeaten and we have the best defence. The alibi of Sulley Muntari’s goal has never existed.”

Milan, 1-0 up at the time, had a good goal ruled out against Juventus when the officials didn’t see that Muntari’s effort had crossed the line. Juve went on to draw that game 1-1.

The Bianconeri lifted the Scudetto on Sunday night, but Chiellini knows where they put one hand on the trophy.

“The decisive moment came after the win at Palermo,” he stated. “After that victory, we understood that nobody could stop us. It was in our hands from that moment.”

That 2-0 triumph in Week 30 was one of eight successive victories.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Chiellini ruled out of Coppa Italia final, confirms Conte

The towering defender picked up a knock in Sunday's Serie A win over Atalanta,

and his coach has now revealed that he will not play a part in the cup final against Napoli.

May 14, 2012

Antonio Conte will have to make do without the services of defender Giorgio Chiellini in Juventus' Coppa Italia final against Napoli on May 20.

The centre-back picked up an injury in the Old Lady's 3-1 Serie A win over Atalanta on Sunday afternoon, and was forced to leave the pitch after 88 minutes of play due to the physical problems.

It is not yet known how long Chiellini will be out of action for due to the thigh injury, but Conte has confirmed that the defender will definitely miss the cup final against Napoli.

"It was a thigh twinge and he will certainly be out of the Coppa Italia Final, but needs more tests," the Juventus coach commented on Chiellini's injury.

The 27-year-old defender was included in Italy's provisional squad for Euro 2012, and national team coach Cesare Prandelli will be closely monitoring Chiellini's fitness.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini admits Coppa Italia defeat

May 14, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini has ruled himself out of the Coppa Italia Final against Napoli, but the Juventus stopper is hopeful for Euro 2012.

The defender picked up a right thigh problem in the closing stages of Sunday’s 3-1 win over Atalanta in Serie A.

“I’ll have my first tests tomorrow to find out the extent of the injury,” Chiellini stated on his Twitter account.

“I was a little worried at the start, but I felt calmer in the evening even if I unfortunately won’t be able to play in the Cup Final.

“However, I’m optimistic that I’ll make the European Championship. We’ll just have to wait a few more days to get a better understanding.”

Juventus will face Napoli at the Stadio Olimpico on May 20.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Chiellini to miss Coppa Italia final

but hopes to return in time for Euro 2012

The Italian defender will miss the cup decider against Napoli through injury,

but will work hard to be fit in time for the European Championship .

May 14, 2012

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini will miss the Coppa Italia final on Sunday but remains hopeful that he will be able to feature for Italy at Euro 2012.

The 27-year-old sustained a thigh injury in Juventus' 3-1 Serie A victory over Atalanta at the weekend, with coach Antonio Conte stating that the problem will rule him out of the domestic cup final against Napoli.

Earlier on Monday, Italy doctor Enrico Castellacci revealed that Chiellini has suffered a suspected thigh strain, and the full extent of the injury will only be known on Tuesday.

However, the defender has not lost hope about his chances of making Italy's squad for Euro 2012.

"This was certainly not the best way to celebrate the Scudetto victory in front of the club's fans," he wrote on Twitter.

"I was a little bit worried at first, but calmer in the evening.

"Unfortunately, I will not be able to play in the Coppa Italia final, but I am confident about Euro 2012. We will just have to wait a few more days to have a better understanding of the injury."

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli will name his final squad on May 29 after announcing a provisional 31-man list on Sunday.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini will make Euro 2012

May 15, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini should be available for Euro 2012 after the Juventus man was ruled out for the next 20 days.

There were fears that the defender would miss the tournament after picking up a right thigh strain on Sunday.

The stopper, who can also play as a left-back, underwent tests today and he is expected to be sidelined for around three weeks.

Italy start their campaign against Spain on June 10.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Juventus confirm Chiellini will be fit for start of Euro 2012

The Bianconeri have revealed that the centre-back's thigh problem will only keep him

out of action for 20 days, meaning he should be available to face Spain in Gdansk on June 10.

May 15, 2012

Italy boss Cesare Prandelli has been given a major boost with the news that Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini will be fit for the start of Euro 2012.

The versatile centre-back picked up a thigh problem in Sunday's Serie A victory over Atalanta but the Bianconeri have now confirmed that the player will only be out of action for just under three weeks.

"This morning [Tuesday], Giorgio Chiellini underwent an ultrasound scan to check his health condition," a statement on the club's website read.

"The defender showed a first degree strain of the long abductor muscle of his right thigh.

"He’ll be able to return to action in 20 days. Therefore he’ll miss the Coppa Italia final against Napoli."

Italy kick off their Euro 2012 campaign on June 10 with a mouth-watering clash with defending champions Spain in Gdansk.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

29185123719397966249911.jpg

Mancini sets his sights on Juventus defensive star

May 17, 2012

Manchester City are preparing for their Premier League title defence by lining up a move for Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini, according to reports in Italy.

Roberto Mancini's side claimed the title with a dramatic last-day victory over QPR but have at times appeared shaky in defence, with Stefan Savic coming in for particular criticism.

And Tuttosport newspaper now claim City are preparing a £12m bid for Juventus defender Chiellini, who is part of the Italy squad for Euro 2012.

Mancini has reportedly been tracking Chiellini for some time, and has been so impressed by his performances as Juventus completed an unbeaten Serie A season that he has made the 27-year-old City's top priority for the summer.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini 'optimistic' for Euro 2012

May 18, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini is recovering quickly and “optimistic” for Euro 2012, revealed the Italy and Juventus star’s brother.

The defender limped off during the final game of the Serie A season with a first degree thigh strain, which is expected to keep him out of action for three weeks.

“Giorgio is doing well,” Claudio Chiellini told Calciomercato.it.

“He is already hard at work at the Coverciano ground and can’t wait to get back on the field. He is disappointed to be missing out on the Coppa Italia Final, but we are optimistic for the Euros.”

Chiellini’s sibling was also asked about reports of interest from Manchester City.

“I don’t think there’s any need to comment on certain rumours that emerge at this time of year to fill up the newspapers.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

I'll be fit for Spain Euro 2012 clash, says Chiellini

The Bianconeri defender is being plagued by injury problems ahead of the European

Championship, but is confident that he will be ready for Italy's opening encounter.

May 22, 2012

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has promised that he will be match fit in time for Italy's Euro 2012 opener against Spain on June 10.

The centre-back picked up a thigh injury in Juve's Serie A win over Atalanta earlier this month, and there were doubts about whether Chiellini would make a full recovery ahead of this summer's tournament.

However, the 27-year-old has insisted that he will be cleared to play in the Azzurri's Group C opener against the defending European champions.

"Is there a risk that I will miss out on the Euros? Let's not joke around. I will be ready in time," Chiellini stated to Corriere dello Sport.

"If I don't feature in the pre-tournament friendlies, that's just a precautionary measure. I want to be ready to take on Spain, and I'll make sure that I will be ready."

Italy will also have to contend with Croatia and Republic of Ireland in Group C of Euro 2012.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini: I’ll be fit for Spain

May 22, 2012

Juventus stopper Giorgio Chiellini is adamant that he will be fit in time for the 2012 European Championship.

The defender was ruled out for 20 days after picking up a thigh muscle injury in the win over Atalanta on May 13.

That setback understandably raised some doubts about whether he would make Italy’s final 23-man squad, but he’s cooled the fears of anxious fans.

“Is there a risk of me missing out on selection? Let’s not joke around here,” he told the Corriere dello Sport on Tuesday. “I’ll be ready at the right time.

“If I don’t take part in the two friendly games before the competition then that will only be for prudence.

“I want to be ready to take on Spain on June 10 and I will be…”

Italy, who leave for Poland on June 5, have two friendlies lined up against Luxembourg on May 29 and June 1 against Russia.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini hungry for Euro glory

May 23, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini insists that the Juventus players in the Italy squad are still hungry for Euro 2012 success. “It would be the icing on the cake.”

The Old Lady officially ended a nine-year Scudetto drought this season and just missed out on the Coppa Italia when losing 2-0 to Napoli in Sunday’s Final.

However, the Juve stopper is adamant that his Bianconeri colleagues are fully motivated ahead of the European Championship.

“Us Juventus players still have an appetite,” the former Fiorentina man stated at Coverciano on Wednesday.

“Winning at Euro 2012 would be the icing on the cake to what has been a great campaign for all of us.

“Italy will go into the tournament in good shape, with changes after the disappointment of the World Cup in 2010. There is a desire to show that Italy can do well.

“We were considered as a Serie B side over recent years and that was not right. We can’t wait to take on the best.”

Chiellini should be in the squad even though he picked up a thigh muscle strain on the last day of the League season.

“I’m calm and hopeful,” he added. “I couldn’t understand how serious the injury was at first, I was in real pain and I thought I’d miss out on something that I have waited two years for.

“Now I’m focused on getting back as soon as possible.”

Chiellini has been a key part of Italy’s tightest defence along with fellow Azzurri members Andrea Barzagli and Leonardo Bonucci.

“A block of Juventus players in defence for Italy? That is something that the Coach will have to consider…”

The trio can be used in a three-man defence or a four with Chiellini being switched to left-back.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Chiellini: I wouldn't miss Euro 2012 for the world

The Juventus defender is still sidelined with a thigh injury sustained against Atalanta

on the final day of the Serie A season and missed the Coppa Italia final as a result.

May 23, 2012

Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini says that he has no intention of allowing an injury to ruin his hopes of participating in Euro 2012.

The versatile Juventus centre-back suffered a minor thigh injury in his club's final game of the Serie A season, against Atalanta, and was ruled out of action for 20 days.

There are still concerns over whether Chiellini will be fully fit for the Azzurri's tournament opener against Spain on June 10 but he was able to offer a positive injury update on Wednesday.

"I think I'll recover for the Euros," the 27-year-old Pisa native told reporters. "I have already started running again.

"I've been waiting two years for this tournament and I wouldn't miss it for the world. On the day of the injury I was really disappointed, but soon after, I calmed down."

Chiellini's injury has prevented him from training with Pescara youngster Marco Verratti, a surprise inclusion in Italy's preliminary squad for Poland and Ukraine, but has been impressed by what he has seen from the reported Juve target.

"Verratti is definitely a young man with great prospects," he enthused. "He would do well in coming to Turin. He would only grow and improve."

Chiellini, who arrived in Turin from Fiorentina in 2005, has been capped 50 times by the Azzurri.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Montolivo and Chiellini 'improvements'

May 26, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini and Riccardo Montolivo underwent tests on their thigh strains that showed “improvements for both.”

The two players are both carrying injuries going into Euro 2012 and it remains to be seen if they can make it for the tournament.

“The response of the tests showed improvements for both, even if obviously they are not 100 per cent yet and it’ll take a few more days to see further changes,” said chief medic Professor Enrico Castellacci.

“I outlined the situation to Cesare Prandelli and he seemed relaxed. Obviously it’s up to him to decide on the final group of 23 players.

“The tests were originally meant to be on Monday, but that is a packed day and it wouldn’t have made much difference, so we anticipated them to today.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini to face Russia

May 30, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini is set to start Italy’s friendly against Russia on Friday along with Riccardo Montolivo, Antonio Cassano and Mario Balotelli.

The first match against Luxembourg had to be cancelled on Tuesday when the Parma area was struck by an earthquake.

This means Cesare Prandelli has only one test before Euro 2012 begins in their meeting with Spain on June 10.

Cassano and Balotelli were set to be the front two in that Luxembourg game, but are expected to be picked again to face Russia with Montolivo as a trequartista.

Chiellini was a major doubt to be fit for the group phase, but is recovering quickly from that thigh strain and could even start Friday’s game.

Juventus teammate Andrea Barzagli looks likely to be his centre-back partner, with Christian Maggio and Federico Balzaretti out wide.

Andrea Pirlo, Claudio Marchisio and Daniele De Rossi complete the midfield.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Mancio wanted Cavani & Chiellini

June 1, 2012

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has revealed that he’s requested Edinson Cavani and Giorgio Chiellini in the past.

In an interview with Tuttosport on Friday, the tactician was asked about possible transfer targets for his Premiership champions.

City have been paired with Napoli ace Cavani, but the Sampdoria legend insists he’s not looking for any strikers this summer.

“We won’t buy in attack unless one of our players leave first,” he stated. “Saying that, Arsenal’s Robin Van Persie is world class.

“Van Persie or Cavani? They are different. The Uruguayan’s valuation is impossible to match at this moment in time.

“He is a player who has it all and I wanted to sign him for Inter while I was still with the Nerazzurri.”

The Manchester outfit have also been paired with Juventus and Italy stopper Chiellini over the years.

“I thought about Chiellini a year ago, but that is no longer the case as we have a lot of options at the back now,” Mancio insisted.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini: De Rossi can defend

Jun 6, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini says a three-man defence which includes Daniele De Rossi could work for Italy at Euro 2012.

Azzurri boss Cesare Prandelli is considering the use of a 3-5-2 system, but his plans to field a Juventus trio have been scuppered by injury.

Although Chiellini is now back to full fitness alongside Juve colleague Leonardo Bonucci, Prandelli has tested Roma midfielder De Rossi in place of the sidelined Andrea Barzagli this week.

“We are ready to play with three at the back and De Rossi has demonstrated that he knows what to do,” the stopper stated on Wednesday.

“I don’t think that the Coach has definitely decided to try out a defence with three centre-backs, but that doesn’t matter.

“We are all used to playing that way for our clubs and therefore the Coach will decide on what is the best thing to do.

“De Rossi played in defence for Roma against us [Juventus] earlier in the season and he had a great game.”

Chiellini should be in the starting XI to face Spain on Sunday after recovering from a thigh strain suffered on May 13 in the 3-1 win over Atalanta.

“The injury was less serious than first thought,” he added. “I’m ready to play and I have no fear about doing so.”

The Azzurri qualified for the tournament with ease, but they have lost their last three friendly games against Uruguay, USA and Russia.

“There was a slump in results after qualification, but it is a bit much to say that we have disappeared. We’re now in Poland, the atmosphere has changed and we are finally breathing the air of Euro 2012.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Spain should be scared of us, insists Chiellini

(H)

The Azzurri have been rocked by the loss of a couple of key players and are coming off

the back of a resounding friendly defeat by Russia, but the Juventus man is feeling upbeat.

June 7, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini has dismissed the suggestion that Italy should be worried of what is awaiting them in Gdansk on Sunday evening, insisting that it is Spain who should be "scared" of the Azzurri.

The Azzurri's preparations for their Euro 2012 opener have been far from ideal, given the Scommessopoli investigation has deprived them of the services of first-choice left-back Domenico Criscito and injury has ruled defender Andrea Barzagli out of the group stages. There is also the fact that they are going into the tournament on the back of three successive friendly defeats.

However, Chiellini has revealed that Cesare Prandelli's men have been lifted by the fantastic support they have received since arriving in Poland and that facing La Roja, the reigning world and European champions, holds no fear for the Azzurri.

"They should be scared of us," the versatile Juventus defender, who had been an injury doubt for the game, told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday.

"The 10,000 who attended our training session [Tuesday] evening have given us new enthusiasm after a week that was not easy easy for us because of the many more or less legitimate attacks that we suffered.

"But we are good at isolating ourselves and thinking only of the pitch. I'm feeling good and have been training with the rest of the group for a few days. There is a great desire to start this adventure."

Indeed, Chiellini believes that the Euros should now be regarded as the pinnacle of international competition.

"The game against Spain is maybe proof that the European Championship is more difficult than the World Cup."

Italy's Group C clash with Vicente del Bosque's side will kick off at 18:00CET.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Chiellini takes blame for Croatia equaliser

The 27-year-old knows that his error cost Italy an important win in Group C

and says they need to stop giving their opponents chances to score.

Jun 14, 2012

Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini has taken the blame for Croatia’s equaliser in the 1-1 draw on Thursday in Poznan.

Mario Mandzukic was allowed to bring the ball down in the six-yard-box, after Ivan Strinic’s looping cross floated over the Italian's head.

Mandzukic then smashed the ball home at the back post and the 27-year-old admits he should have done better.

"I made the mistake for Croatia's goal. I gave too much space to Mandzukic. He did well to control the ball and score, but I had to be closer to him," Chiellini told reporters after the game.

It was the same story against Spain in their opening Group C game as Italy took the lead through Antonio Di Natale but were pegged back just four minutes later when Cesc Fabregas was allowed to run through and score.

The Juventus defender knows the importance of keeping a clean sheet and how tough it can be defending on an international level.

"Even against Spain we were winning and at this level it is like this. You give away a chance and they will score. In the second half we were too close to our own goal."

The two draws means Italy will have to beat the Republic of Ireland in their final game to have a chance of qualifying for the knockout rounds.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini takes the blame

Jun 14, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini admits he “got my positioning wrong” when Italy conceded the Croatian equaliser.

Andrea Pirlo’s free kick had put the Azzurri in front, but Mario Mandzukic secured a 1-1 draw in Euro 2012 Group C.

“I was a little too tight and the ball was long, then Mandzukic did well to stop and score, but I certainly should’ve done better,” confessed Chiellini on Rai Sport.

“Unfortunately at this level you get punished for every mistake.

“We knew Croatia were good with crosses into the box and allowed them very little, but the team got too deep and we were under more pressure, then sadly I got my positioning wrong.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Chiellini limps out of Italy-Ireland clash with injury

The Juventus defender went down after a challenge early in the second half

in Poznan and was replaced by his club team-mate Bonucci.

Jun 18, 2012

Italy defender Georgio Chiellini limped off during his side's Euro 2012 Group C match versus the Republic of Ireland after receiving a knock early in the second half.

The Juventus centre-back was involved in a tangle with striker Kevin Doyle and was immediately replaced by his Bianconero team-mate Leonardo Bonucci.

The Azzurri won the game 2-0 courtesy of goals from Antonio Cassano and Mario Balotelli and have progressed ahead of Croatia and alongside Spain, who have topped the group, to the quarter-final stage, but the injury could be a major loss for Cesare Prandelli's team.

The centre-back had recovered from a thigh injury that he picked up in a win over Atalanta towards the end of the Serie A season, and there were doubts about whether the Old Lady defender would make a full recovery ahead of this summer's tournament.

The substitution was swift and possibly a precaution, but a reoccurrence of the thigh injury could see him miss the rest of the competition.

Goal.com's Italy expert Mark Doyle commented on the Chiellini substitution, saying: "Chiellini being forced off after another tangle with Doyle is very worrying.

"It should not cause too much disruption given his Juventus colleague Bonucci has come on in his place, meaning the Azzurri will still have two Bianconero at the heart of their defence.

"However, Chiellini did not look at all happy and he ever appeared to suggest he's suffered a serious injury, perhaps a break or a muscle tear. That would be a massive blow for the Azzurri given his importance to the team and his versatility."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

Chiellini set to miss the rest of Euro 2012 after hamstring strain

The Juventus defender, who pulled up in Italy's win over Republic of Ireland,

will remain with the rest of the squad but it is feared that his tournament is over.

Jun 19, 2012

Italy have been rocked by the news that Giorgio Chiellini has suffered a strained hamstring and is therefore unlikely to play any further part in their Euro 2012 campaign.

The versatile Juventus defender limped off during the Azzurri's 2-0 victory over Republic of Ireland in Poznan on Monday evening and subsequent scans have now revealed the full extent of the damage.

"Giorgio Chiellini has suffered a strained left hamstring," Italy team doctor Enrico Castellacci confirmed on Tuesday evening.

It is not yet known exactly how long the centre-half will be out of action for and he is set to remain with the squad in Poland. However, it is believed that his tournament is over.

Chiellini's injury is a massive blow for the Azzurri as not only is he one of their most reliable performers, his versatility means that he is capable of playing at left-back as well as centre-half.

It will also come as a huge disappointment to the player, who had worked incredibly hard to make himself available for his country's Euro 2012 campaign after suffering a thigh injury at the tail end of the Serie A season.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130799 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini out of quarter-finals

chiellini-ireland490ai_0.jpg

Jun 19, 2012

Italy will have to make do without Giorgio Chiellini for their Euro 2012 quarter-final, after the defender’s thigh strain was confirmed.

The Juventus man suffered the injury during the Azzurri’s final Group C game against Republic of Ireland on Monday night, with initial fears that he had suffered a thigh strain in his left leg.

Unfortunately for the defender and for Cesare Prandelli, those fears have been confirmed after tests carried out today.

“Unfortunately they confirmed the feelings from yesterday,” chief medic Enrico Castellacci explained to reporters today.

“We tested the player with an ultrasound that showed a stretch of the first degree in the left bicep, which is a previous injury.

“The defender has already started treatment but won’t be there for England.

“It is hard to forecast his recovery, we will see. It is clear though, we are in no hurry with his recovery, the player must return well.”

The player is likely to be unavailable for the duration of the tournament, as this type of injury generally takes up to 20 days to fully recover from.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti