Vai al contenuto
Accedi per seguire   
gsol

Calciopoli & Scommessopoli In English

130788 messaggi

imagegoalcomconcept2sub.jpg

Serie A Is Worse Now Compared To Calciopoli - Maurizio Zamparini

Palermo president feels nothing has changed in Serie A since Calciopoli...

Nov 12, 2010

Palermo President Maurizio Zamparini believes Calciopoli only served to replace an old world with new powers, not create a clean slate for Italian football.

The 2006 scandal left the game a neglected ruin, and for Zamparini, who will turn his back on Palermo, nothing has changed.

"Calciopoli was a fight between one power and another. The new kicked out the old, and nothing has changed," he thundered on Il Corriere dello Sport.

"I will only change ideas if the FIGC and the referee system are revamped. It is in decline and after 11 games there have been no penalties against Inter, Milan and Juventus. I cannot support this squalor."

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

'Referees Never Had An Association

With Juventus Or Luciano Moggi' Court Is Told

The Calciopoli trial in Naples resumed on Tuesday, but the hearing was extremely brief...

Nov 16, 2010

The Calciopoli 2 trial at the tribunal of Naples resumed, albeit for a short hearing after a number of witnesses failed to show up having been called to supply evidence.

The court did however hear referee Paolo Bertini, who insisted he never favoured or disadvantaged teams during his career as a ref.

He admits making mistakes, but they were not conditioned by orders or other individuals, but were genuinely erroneous.

"I was never part of an association of criminal conspiracy and I was stunned to be associated with something like this," Bertini told the court.

"I could have been associated to a non-association. Every game teams were discontented, moaning. There was never any association with Luciano Moggi or Juventus, as with any other team.

"Many teams were annoyed with my refereeing, but it's normal to make mistakes. Sometimes referees make mistakes, sometimes they don't. Either way I was always criticised.

"Of course, you cannot compare a referee's decision with an electronic system made up of 30 cameras.

"As a referee you think about doing well and you always try hard to be impartial so you don't favour any team.

"There were times where decisions went against Juventus and in favour of other teams competing with them.

"During the 2004-05 season, Juve's points average in games I was in charge with them was less than with other referees here."

Judge Teresa Casoria then terminated the hearing as witnesses including the Telecom head of security Giuliano Tavaroli, who was called in to supply evidence from the spying case on Moggi, informed the court he would not respond to the call.

Casoria then reminded the court that the defence phonecall wiretaps have a November 23 deadline to be deposited with the Tribunal.

Moggi's legal team are expected to supply CDs containing around 300 wiretaps next week.

The Judge also told the court she expects to reach a verdict soon and next week will be the final hearing where defence witnesses have a chance to speak.

The court was told: "This process must finish soon. I have no time to waste. The last statements will be heard on the 23rd, and then we will hear the accused."

The trial continues.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Inter Made The Most Phonecalls In 'Farsopoli',

But They Were Hidden - Paolo Bergamo :sventola:

Former referee designator Paolo Bergamo believes Juventus were

wrongly punished in 2006 because crucial evidence was missing...

Nov 18, 2010

Former referee designator Paolo Bergamo alleges Inter made the most phonecalls during Calciopoli, but it was Juventus and Luciano Moggi who were punished on one call during the orginal sports trial in 2006.

Bergamo, who has been a witness in the current Calciopoli 2 trial at the Tribunal of Naples has revealed a number of calls went missing in 2006 - something that has come to light in the current trial.

He alleges that Juventus were convicted on one phone involving the then sports director Luciano Moggi.

Bergamo also claims it was Inter who allegedly used and abused a system of communication designed by the FIGC to keep relations between clubs and referees above board.

Bergamo told Radio Power Station: "It was a moment when we were asked to create a tranquil situation for referees.

"The Federation (FIGC) gaves us a telephone which they used to pay for and they knew all the statements.

"Our phone numbers were given to all the clubs, and they all used to call us.

"At the time we were accused of speaking too much, but today clubs moan that we have closed up.

"The AIA (Italian referees association) proposed that referees must not speak with anyone, but then no-one liked that proposal.

"I think they tried to create a climate of tranquility for referees before matches to help referees.

"At the time (2006) they considered it was not something to be done, but this is not the truth.

"At the time Farsopoli (Calciopoli) broke out, they showed just one call as evidence regarding myself and Moggi. All the others were hidden.

"But, I used to speak with everyone. In particular I used to speak with Inter because they never used to win back then, and they always used to moan."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Milan Gave Watches To Referees & Linesmen

Evidence still emerging from the Calciopoli 2 trial in Naples shows

Milan lavished linesmen and referees with gifts...

Nov 20, 2010

More calls have emerged from the defence team at the Calciopoli 2 trial in Naples, and a number of transcripted phonecalls concerning Milan will be presented when the court hearing resumes on Tuesday.

As part of a batch of 300 hundred calls to be aquired by the court next week, one shows former Milan aide to referees Leandro Meani reminding the club to give referees watches.

The latest evidence, like so many other calls, were left out in 2006, but they are now part of the criminal trial at the tribunal of Naples.

An extract from this particular call involves Meani and Milan chief Adriano Galliani's secretary at the time known as signora Mary.

The call was for Galliani, but he left it to the secretary who often responded on his behalf. An extract of the call, as published by Tuttosport reads:

Meani: "I wanted to gift the referees that will come tomorrow the usual watches, but some of them have already received them, and so the stock room could give me trouble."

Signora Mary: "Tell them to send it to me and I will sign it off to authorise it."

The call is key to growing evidence at the trial which was left out during original investigations in 2006.

Back then, former referee Massimo De Santis was accused of having obtained a load of Juventus shirts to give to family and friends.

The trial will resume on Tuesday in which Luciano Moggi's defence team are expected to hand over the 300 calls including that of Meani.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Inter Are Finished, But A New Calciopoli

Could Make Them Win Again - Luciano Moggi :)

Inter's downfall has been instigated by coach Rafael Benitez, claims Luciano Moggi...

Nov 22, 2010

Inter have been reduced to smoking rubble, torched by Rafael Benitez who has destroyed an empire built by Jose Mourinho, and not even a new wave of Calciopoli will be enough to douse the flames, claims Luciano Moggi.

"Inter are finished. Their credit, obtained from Calciopoli has ran out," Moggi told Gold TV.

"And for sure [Massimo] Moratti caused it by replacing Mourinho with Benitez - the complete opposite.

"The team has turned from being a warship to a weak mob.

"To win again Moratti will probably need a new Calciopoli..."

And with Inter charred, if not completely burnt, Juventus, Milan and Roma will feed off the scraps.

"In Italy the team who has Zlatan Ibrahimovic always wins," Moggi added.

"I wonder if Arrigo Sacchi still thinks Milan made an error by signing him.

"As for Roma, they are out of the crisis and they have reaquired self-esteem. Now they can return to being great again.

"Juventus? They deserved to beat Genoa and are doing well, but thinking about the Scudetto would be an illusion for the fans."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

FIGC President Giancarlo Abete Responds

To Juventus Revoked Scudetti Request

Juventus have been told they face a tense and long wait

to discover if they can have revoked Scudetti back...

Nov 25, 2010

Juventus face another anxious wait in relation to their request to have the Calciopoli-revoked Scudetti restored based on the on-going trial at the Tribunal of Naples.

It's been 200 days since Juventus lodged an appeal with the FIGC to have them review the revoked Scudetti decision which was taken in 2006 following the original Calciopoli sports trial.

Juventus believe they have a right to have those titles restored based on evidence which has emerged in Naples.

But despite the FIGC's federal office opening an investigation, times of discovery will be long and anxious for Juve.

"Our objective is to look at Juve's appeal in technical times compatible with good sense, and the autonomy of the federal office," Giancarlo Abete told Tuttosport.

"I would like to remind people that the fedeal office open its activity once the wiretaps were legally accepted at the trial.

"In any case, we cannot invade territory which is not within our competence," he added, in relation to the ongoing trial of Naples.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Verdicts Could Arrive By March

As Judge Expects Fast Progress In 2011

Judge Teresa Casoria told the court she expects a speedy conclusion which could see verdicts arrive by March...

Dec 14, 2010

The Calciopoli trial at the tribunal of Naples resumed on Tuesday, but was adjourned for January 11, 2011 as Judge Teresa Casoria demands a rapid conclusion.

The court was expecting to hear a number of the accused including former referee designator Pierluigi Pairetto, ex referee Massimo De Santis and former linesman designator Gennaro Mazzei.

However, none of those were questioned, nor did they make any statements. Casoria though did tell the court of how she expected the trial to proceed when it regathers in the new year.

"We must move forward fast," the court was told.

"I will ask the president of the Tribunal of Napoli to hold hearings on Saturdays too."

Public prosecutor Giuseppe Narducci is expected to start the closing of the trial from the end of January with the possibility of a verdict being reached for March.

So far evidence from the defendants has been heard during the trial, but Narducci is likely to call in witnesses to present evidence against the accused including former Juventus director Luciano Moggi.

However, the court is still waiting for some 300 wiretaps to be transcribed by Roberto Porto.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Andrea Agnelli: Calciopoli Was A Ridiculous Process

Juventus president slams the Calciopoli process...

Dec 15, 2010

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli has brandished the whole Calciopoli scandal as nothing more than ridiculous.

The two revoked Scudetti have commanded great interest from the Italian chief who has applied to the FIGC for the restoration of the two stripped titles based on evidence which has emerged at the current Calciopoli trial at the Tribunal of Naples.

As things stand, the FIGC have confirmed they would open an investigation based on Agnelli's request which was filed in May 2010, but they are following the trial in Naples before making further decisions.

And Agnelli feels the 2006 sports trial was flawed - another reason he feels those titles were fully deserved.

"Calciopoli? It's a part of our identity which needs to be clarified soon. We have to wait for the decisions from ordinary justice. Of course, if it is possible to accept it..." he told club chiefs during a dinner, as reported by La Repubblica.

"Everyone knows what I think about Calciopoli - and that it is a ridiculous process. The lawyers have told me that they were unable to read all the legal documents."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Calciopoli 2006 Was A Farce As I Spoke

With Everyone - Paolo Bergamo

Former referee designator, a key figure in the current Calciopoli trial in Naples,

believes the 2006 sports trial was flawed...

Dec 21, 2010

Paolo Bergamo has put the sword into Calciopoli, claiming it was a flawed process and labelling it a "farce".

Bergamo was called by federal prosecutor of the FIGC (Italian FA) Stefano Palazzi on Tuesday to answer questions in relation to the current Calciopoli trial in Naples.

The FIGC are looking to open an independent investigation after Juventus asked to have their revoked Scudetti handed back based on evidence which has emerged in Naples.

And the former referee designator claims Calciopoli 2006 was far from being impartial.

"The Calciopoli 2006 process was not based on solid backing, it was a farce," Bergamo told Palazzi, as reported by Calcionews24.com.

"I used to speak with everyone because the FIGC told us to have contacts with everyone and to give them our maximum attention. I am here to help shed light on what really happened.

"Inter to have their Scudetto revoked? I don't care."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Calciopoli 2006 Is No Longer Credible - Paolo Bergamo

Former referee designator has said the Calciopoli 2006 trial was based on flaws...

Dec 22, 2010

Calciopoli 2006 - the sports trial which saw Juventus stripped of two titles and sent to Serie B - is not credible according to former referee designator Paolo Bergamo.

The former ref chief claims prosecutors four years ago never took note of his statements when he told them of the contacts he had with clubs and individuals.

Bergamo was at FIGC headquarters when he was questioned by federal prosecutor Stefano Pallazzi over the 2006 proceedings in relation to their own investigation into evidence which is again being used at the current trial in Naples.

"I have the maximum spirit to collaborate, I hope they believe me now seeing as in 2006 no one wanted to listen to me. The truth is that at the time they held a farcical process," Bergamo told Tuttosport.

"I can say with absolute certainty that with the new phone calls which have emerged recently, the theorem that led to the 2006 trial is not credible.

"It's sad to speak about these things four years on. I used to speak with everyone. I have always said that I used to speak with Giacinto Facchetti and Massimo Moratti and I did it because the FIGC wanted me to.

"I used to speak with everyone regarding the draws for referees, and no one proved in Napoli that the draws with fixed.

"As for the dinners... I had dinner with Facchetti first and then Galliani and after with Luciano Moggi and Antonio Giraudo, but only the Juventus guys had their houses surrounded by police."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Massimo Moratti To Be Summoned By FIGC's

Calciopoli Investigation Panel

The Italian FA's (FIGC) Calciopoli investigation panel want to ask

Massimo Moratti questions as part of their own enquiries...

Jan 5, 2011

Inter president Massimo Moratti is among those summoned by the FIGC's panel dedicated to Calciopoli to answer a number of questions in relation to the 2006 match-fixing scandal.

Federal prosecutor Stefano Palazzi is spearheading the Italian FA's own investigation into events from 2006. This project is based on the results of the on-going Calciopoli trial at the Tribunal of Naples, presided over by judge Teresa Casoria.

Proceedings in Naples have raised a number of questions in relation to the original sports trial four years ago which saw Juventus stripped of two titles and demoted to Serie B.

Ongoing Investigation

In relation to the large-scale developments at the current trial, Juventus asked the FIGC to open their own investigation in May 2010.

Club president Andrea Agnelli feels the evidence in Naples deserves new light to be shed on the whole Calciopoli affair, and Juventus maintain they have legal reasons to request the 2006 and 2005 titles, stripped, one of which handed to Inter by the sports trial, be restored.

Having assembled a panel to look at the request, filed by club lawyers in May, the FIGC later confirmed they would take a look at the evidence in Naples and aim a fresh look on proceedings across the board, with Palazzi being placed in charge.

Palazzi and his investigation team are expected to move through the pile of evidence the FIGC has obtained from the Naples tribunal, and as part of their probe, will interview a number of key figures, including Inter president Massimo Moratti, who at the time of the scandal was the majority shareholder.

Turin newspaper Tuttosport, who have been reporting on both cases - the Naples trial and the FIGC probe - have fueled the flames of controversy by publishing their own list of eight questions that they say should be posed to Moratti.

Moggi Allegations

Meanwhile, at the Naples trial, Luciano Moggi, the former Juventus transfer director, stands accused of criminal association and sporting fraud, allegations he is denying.

His legal team have shown Moggi's alleged relationship with referees and designators at the time was not exclusive. The referees and designators have also claimed they had spoken freely with the likes of club officials and presidents, with some claiming they were encouraged to keep dialogue open with clubs.

The proceedings have also revealed some 171,000 wiretaps which show Inter, including their late ex-president Giacinto Facchetti, had called a number of designators, mainly Paolo Bergamo, between 2004 and 2006.

However, a large chunk of those calls were not part of the original investigation four years ago. Only now has the Naples court acquired a portion of these taps for use in the current trial.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Luciano Moggi: Italian Football Has Not Changed Since Calciopoli

Moggi claims nothing has changed since the Calciopoli scandal as hearing at Naples trial is postponed...

Jan 25, 2011

Luciano Moggi has said the magnitude of Calciopoli has done little to change the Italian game.

The former Juventus director suggested clubs are allowed to voice their concerns in relation to referees freely now, just like they were in the past.

"The only difference in football post-Calciopoli is clubs like Palermo now write to the referee chiefs, where as before you were allowed to call the referee designators," Moggi told Gold.tv.

"Nowadays you can no longer phone, but you can write. But football has not changed at all."

Meanwhile, the latest hearing into the Calciopoli trial in Naples, which was due to take place on Tuesday, was postponed until February 22 by Judge Teresa Casoria.

Roberto Porto, the assesor tasked with transcribing around 300 phone calls, was not ready to present the findings to the court, leaving Casoria to reschedule.

However, the prosecuting attorney wanted the court to extend the postponement of the hearing so they could read through all the transcripts once Porto is done, but Casoria maintained the February 22 date.

The counsel is expected to adress the defences from the next hearing onwards in relation to the charges.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Juventus Were Wrongly Stripped Of Deserved

Titles By Calciopoli - Luigi Simoni

Juventus success did not deserve to be broken down by Calciopoli, argues former Inter coach

Jan 26, 2011

Juventus did not deserve to have their titles revoked by Calciopoli in 2006, former Inter coach Luigi Simoni has told Goal.com.

His message comes just days after Inter president Massimo Moratti suggested Calciopoli favoured Juve.

Simoni, who coached the Nerazzurri between 1997 and 1999, is certain Juventus were fully deserving of the 2005 and 2006 titles won under Fabio Capello which were later taken away by the investigations into the scandal.

"Paradoxically Juventus were not stripped of two titles, but of two Scudetti which they more than deserved," Simoni told Goal.com Italia.

"Capello's team was really the strongest of all.

"However, there were years when people conditioned referees, but this is no longer the case now.

"There are still errors, but this is normal."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Juventus Want Calciopoli Justice - Giuseppe Marotta

Marotta expects FIGC to move on Juventus' Calciopoli appeal...

Feb 7, 2011

Giuseppe Marotta has stretched out his fists for the Calciopoli fight and insists Juventus will not surrender until they get their revoked Italian titles back.

Back in May the Bianconeri sent the FIGC a legal file they had built up in relation to the on-going Calciopoli trial in Naples where it has been shown other clubs were involved in holding dialogue with referees and designators between 2004 and 2006.

Juventus believe they have legal reasons to fight for having the two titles 2005 and 2006 restored, and they are waiting for the FIGC to respond through an independent investigation based on new evidence from Naples.

And Marotta feels the club have every right to get the Scudetti back.

"It has been a long time since we presented our case and we have trust in the FA and in the sports justice, and so we are waiting for responses," Marotta told Radio Anch'io lo Sport.

"We have presented a very detailed case and we ask for justice."

Alessandro Del Piero's extension is also on the agenda.

"Like president Andrea Agnelli said, the doors are always open for Del Piero's renewal. He is a Juventus legend and it's right for him to be able to play in the new stadium," he added.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Decision On Juventus Appeal Over

Calciopoli-Revoked Scudetti Expected In May

FIGC near conclusion over Calciopoli investigation into Juventus - Inter claims...

Feb 10, 2011

Juventus will learn in May whether they will have the 2005 and 2006 revoked Scudetti reinstated as the FIGC's independent investigation into Calciopoli proceedings at the trial of Naples nears a conclusion.

Il Corriere dello Sport claims the lead investigator into the FIGC's probe, Stefano Palazzi, after Juventus' request last year, will conclude his findings after working through a mound of evidence acquired from the Naples trial.

Juve feel they deserve the Scudetti handed back after proceedings in Naples uncovered calls to referees and referee designators involving Inter directors between 2004 and 2006.

Palazzi is expected to analyse whether the evidence from Naples is enough to warrant further measures to return the Scudetti to Juventus.

A sports trial in 2006 into the Calciopoli trial saw Juventus stripped of their 2005 title, with the 2006 Scudetto being handed to Inter following punishments to the Old Lady.

The FIGC's investigation runs parallel to the Naples trial which is ongoing.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Juventus Won't Get 2006 Scudetto Back - Massimo Moratti

Inter president insists Juventus cannot touch the 2006 title...

Feb 11, 2011

Inter president Massimo Moratti believes Juventus have little hope of having the 2006 Scudetto restored.

The Bianconeri believe the title, revoked in the aftermath of the 2006 Calciopoli scandal, should be handed back following developments at the trial of Naples.

FIGC (Italian FA) have opened their own enquiry following an appeal by Juventus.

But Moratti feels there is nothing Juventus can do to have the Tricolore back.

"Calciopoli was a very serious affair," Moratti told Il Secolo XIX.

"The 2006 Scudetto? I don't think there is a basis for it to be reassigned to Juventus.

"As for Andrea Agnelli, I like him a lot and I have known him for years. I am sure he will take Juventus back up to the pinnacle."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Public Prosecutor Calls In Zamparini & Gianfelice Facchetti

As Witnesses As Naples Trial Resumes

Calciopoli trial at court of Naples resumes as prosecution call for Palermo's president to give evidence next week...

Feb 22, 2011

The Calciopoli trial at the Tribunal of Naples resumed on Tuesday, and following a brief hearing, public prosecutor Giuseppe Narducci has summoned Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini, former Napoli chief Giorgio Corbelli, and Gianfelice Facchetti, son of former Inter president Giacinto, to give evidence at the next hearing on March 1.

All three had already appeared as witnesses in the trial last year when Narducci and fellow prosecutor Stefano Capuano considered the statements as significant for the prosecution. Both Narducci and Capuano are keen to examine the witnesses again.

Narducci also told the court how there was a series of errors in some of the transcripts presented by the defence.

Presiding judge Teresa Casoria told the court the calls presented by the defence must be re-checked within 45 days with the correct transcripts.

The hearing was adjourned and will resume next week.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Ex-Referee Paolo Bergamo Kicked Out

After Claiming 'Calciopoli Is A Joke'

Calciopoli trial resumes in Naples as ex-referee designator is kicked out of court...

Mar 1, 2011

Proceedings at the Calciopoli trial in Naples resumed on Tuesday, but prosecution witnesses Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini, former Inter president Giacinto Facchetti's son, Gianfelice, and ex-referee Danilo Nuccini failed to show up.

They have been summoned to appear at the next hearing on March 15 by president Judge Teresa Casoria.

A number of key witnesses were called in to answer questions from the prosecuting attorney's Giuseppe Narducci and Stefano Capuano.

The court heard how there are problems in trying to transcribe a number of calls presented by Luciano Moggi's defence team.

Roberto Porto, the man tasked with presenting the transcripts, told the court: "27 of the calls have been difficult to transcribe, and I have presented a note to the court, the prosecution, and defence teams. There is no correspondence for 27 calls, but it's vital to have the recordings. There are 124 calls, 121 need transcribing, 36 have been done, but I have had a problem with 27."

The defence lawyer acting on behalf of Luciano Moggi responded: "There are reasons for the problem, the numbers in relation to caller and called. Plus some of those questioned were intercepted on other numbers."

During the hearing, ex-designator Paolo Bergamo was thrown out of the courtroom after making a number of comments on the whole Calciopoli scandal.

"This is not a serious thing, it's a joke," he said, as he left the hearing.

Former Napoli president Giorgio Corbelli was asked by the prosecution whether Moggi had any influential powers.

"Moggi power? I justify this because of his experience."

Judge Casoria asked: "Would Moggi have advised Zdenek Zeman for the downfall of Napoli?"

Corbelli responded: "I have never said this, and I never suggested Zeman was advised [by Moggi] so Napoli would do badly.

"I only had doubts on Salvatore Fresi, who made us lose two games."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Calciopoli prosecutors request five-year jail sentence for Luciano Moggi

Ex-Juventus director faces a jail term for his part in the Calciopoli 2 proceedings

in which he is accused of leading a secret network of communication with match officials.

Mar 31, 2011

Juventus director Luciano Moggi faces a five year and eight month jail sentence after public prosecutors made their requests at the Calciopoli 2 trial taking place at the tribunal of Naples.

Stefano Capuano and Giuseppe Narducci, who have been leading the prosecution, informed the court of their assessment in the closing speeches following the latest hearing, according to Goal.com Italy.

The court heard how Moggi faces five years and eight months after being accused of his association in an organised ring which involved a network of phone calls with former referees and designators as well as former FIGC (Italian FA) officials.

Following today's developments those involved in the trial, which include a number of Serie A club officials, have all learned of the sentences which await them.

Moggi faces the heaviest sanctions followed by former designator Paolo Bergamo (five years) and Pierluigi Pairetto (four years and six months).

Former FIGC vice president Innocenzo Mazzini faces four years in jail. However, the trial is not over.

The defence teams for the accused will now offer their claims against the prosecution once proceedings resume.

The final sentencing is expected to take place in July.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

The Italian football betting scandal -

A definitive timeline

Calcio has been rocked by another scandal known as Scommessopoli with claims

and counter claims as magistrates begin enquiries based on emerging facts.

Jun 5, 2011

Wednesday June 1, 2011

A national case explodes. During the night, there are 16 arrests made across the whole of Italy at the end of an investigation led by the police in Cremona on football and betting. Among the names involved are former footballers, directors of clubs and people outside the football world. One stands out - Giuseppe Signori, the former Italy international.

Seven of those arrested have been remanded in custody: Antonio Bellavista (ex footballer), Giorgio Buffone (Ravenna director of sport), Massimo Erodiani, Francesco Giannone, Marco Paoloni (Benevento goalkeeper), Gianfranco Parlato (ex footballer) and Marco Pirani.

Others have been placed on house arrest: Mauro Bressan (ex footballer), Manlio Bruni, Francesca La Civita, Vittorio Micolucci (Ascoli), Ismet Mehmeti, Giuseppe Signori (ex footballer), Vincenzo Sommese (Ascoli), Gianluca Tuccella and Almir Gegic.

Another 28 people are also under investigation. Among this group is Atalanta captain Cristiano Doni, who was allegedly involved in phone calls relating to the scandal, but these have not been established as of yet. Stefano Bettarini is also involved and in the past both have been under the microscope during previous betting investigations.

The majority of those under investigation are accused of being involved in an organisation that allegedly conditions results, mostly in Serie B and Lega Pro, but with some interest in Serie A. The Inter - Lecce game from the 2010-11 season is of concern, because consistent betting figures were said to have made considerable returns. For some there are allegations of criminal conspiracy, while for others it is in connection with fraud.

Repercussions for the competitions under probe are serious, as revealed by investigative judge Guido Salvini.

"The activities of the association are still ongoing and it is having an impact on the final phases of the various leagues, with big damages for clubs, loyal punters and on the fairness of these competitions," he said.

Here are the matches under scope during the police investigation entitled 'Last Bet':

Serie A 20/3/2011 Inter - Lecce

Serie A 2/4/2011 Brescia - Bologna

Serie B 25/2/2011 Livorno - Ascoli

Serie B 12/3/2011 Ascoli - Atalanta

Serie B 19/3/2011 Atalanta - Piacenza

Serie B 26/3/2011 Padova - Atalanta

Serie B 27/3/2011 Siena - Sassuolo

Lega Pro A 17/10/2010 Cremonese - Spezia

Lega Pro A 21/10/2010 Monza - Cremonese

Lega Pro A 14/11/2010 Cremonese - Paganese

Lega Pro A 16/1/2011 Spal - Cremonese

Lega Pro A 27/2/2011 Verona - Ravenna

Lega Pro A 10/3/2011 Reggiana - Ravenna

Lega Pro A 20/3/2011 Alessandria - Ravenna

Lega Pro A 27/3/2011 Ravenna - Spezia

Lega Pro B 13/2/2011 Benevento - Viareggio

Lega Pro B 28/2/2011 Benevento - Cosenza

Lega Pro B 13/3/2011 Taranto - Benevento

Lega Pro B 21/3/2011 Benevento - Pisa

The investigation begun after a series of strange events during the Cremonese - Paganese match in Lega Pro which took place on November 14, 2010, and ended in a 2-0 win for the home side. During and following the encounter, around five players and a member of the technical staff noted that there was a strange atmosphere on the pitch and added that some performances were below standard. One of these, Carlo Gervasoni, was involved in a car crash on the way home.

The enquiries - which began following the allegations from Cremonese in relation to the game and were based on a number of telephone wiretaps - have allowed investigators to conclude the strange atmosphere was because Marco Paoloni, at the time a goalkeeper for the Lombardy-based club, had provided drinks that allegedly contained a tranquiliser. Paoloni, who now plays for Benevento, was trying to assure his team-mates performed below par and thus help to condition the outcome of the game.

Those that have been involved in the scandal have reacted. Signori simply said "have pity", while Atalanta and Siena both defended their positions with a number of official statements. Institutions such as the Italian FA (FIGC) have opened their own enquiry, while Italy internaitonals Alessandro Matri and Andrea Pirlo say that the whole affair is a "disgrace".

Thursday, June 2

Italian football awakes and is stunned by the latest scandal, as people analyse the possible effects of this page of history that so many want to be removed.

What risks for the clubs involved? How can it change the league's outcomes ahead of next season? It all depends on a case-by-case basis. Atalanta appear to be the club with most to lose, while Sampdoria moving back to Serie A is unlikely, though they are linked to a Serie A club being

involved in the 'Last Bet' investigations.

From hour to hour, plenty is discussed about the whole affair. All the headlines surround Doni, allegedly the most involved in Scommessopoli. The midfielder has claimed innocence.

Zdenek Zeman says he is "disgraced" when asked an opinion on the latest blow for Calcio, while Italy boss Cesare Prandelli invites everyone to stay calm. Luciano Moggi also reacts - but he is still fighting Calciopoli II at the Tribunal of Naples.

A number of reports linked to the case begin to emerge. Under the eye of investigators are Inter - Lecce (1-0), Atalanta - Piacenza (3-0), Livorno - Ascoli (1-1), and Alessandria - Ravenna (2-1).

Meanwhile, everything is ready for the investigators to ask questions in Cremona.

Friday, June 3

The day of interrogations begins with another big name entangled in proceedings. Daniele De Rossi is called to answer questions over the 4-3 result between Genoa and Roma last February. The discussions last a few hours, but it proves to be a false alarm and the public prosecutors in Cremona rubbish the allegations and suspicions over the game, in which the capital giants led 3-0 only to lose 4-3.

In the meantime, new claims and counter claims surface around the scandal. The organisation under investigation, and based in Milan, are alleged to have close links with Paoloni and the criminal underworld outside of football. Stefano Pallazzi, the investigator at FIGC, prepares to open his own case into what is happening in Cremona.

Among the hoard of papers and legal documents, the names of Claudio Lotito, Lazio president, and the Della Valles (Fiorentina owners) pop up. The feeling is a wave will hit the scandal head on from new angles with a number of high-profile individuals allegedly involved.

The protagonists line up in Cremona. The most significant information comes from Marco Pirani, who gives evidence for around four hours. The former footballer, now a dentist, says Serie A games were also fixed. Beppe Signori remains calm, but after the day's proceedings, his and Doni's position appears worse off.

Saturday June, 4

The lights shine on possible involvement from Serie A. "There are five teams involved, one of them is a big one," is the word from Cremona - where investigations continue.

Meanwhile, speculation increases over a game involving Catania and Chievo from January.

There are also rumours regarding Milan - Napoli, a game important to the destination of the Scudetto on February 28, although there is nothing to suggest anything incriminating from the evidence of phone calls which emerge.

Ravenna declare their position and they defend it staunchly by saying they are unaware of all the facts.

Meanwhile, investigators uncover a number of cheques totalling around

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Comparing the 1980 Italy betting scandal

with 2011's new Calcio crisis

The current Scomessopoli scandal comes three decades after the biggest

betting ring in Italian football, when the allegations first came to light.

Jun 7, 2011

There were no handcuffs or police vans this time, but the Scommessopoli scandal that has exploded in the past week has brought back memories of what transpired in 1980 when Italian football was struck by a scandal long before Calciopoli in 2006.

But, different to now, betting in football was not legal 31 years ago, and perhaps for this reason the incidents then generated more noise, and led to more severe consequences.

Going back to the day in 1980 when the scandal first come to light, it would not be until two weeks after that the tip of the iceberg emerged.

The accusations begin

On March 1, 1980, a fruit seller named Massimo Cruciani presented a statement to the court of Rome in which he claimed that he had been defrauded, alongside restaurant owner Alvaro Trinca, by a number of Lazio players. Cruciani named Giuseppe Wilson, Bruno Giordano, Massimo Cacciatori and Lionello Manfredonia. Those he accused were alleged to have told him to place bets on games which were guaranteed a certain outcome, only for the results to have gone a different way having been organised prior to betting.

The businessman claimed he gave cheques to the players for them to lose a game against AC Milan, where Rossoneri goalkeeper Enrico Albertosi was aware of the agreement to throw the game. Milan then handed Cruciani around 20 million lira after the victory.

Of the many other games that followed, there were agreements based on the results that would take place on the pitch. Each time, though, just one player involved in the scam would not be enough to determine the outcome of the match in favour of the gamblers. Some of those agreements were not met, and so Cruciani was ruined - heavily in debt and forced to make the allegations to the authorities. Maurizio Montesi, a Lazio player, would confirm what had been divulged to police was accurate, only to change his statement at a later date.

Arrests

But the Pandora's box was opened, and by March 15 all those involved in Italian sport were facing an embarrassing scandal. The police were outside stadiums, ready and waiting to arrest the players as soon as matches finished.

Cacciatori, Giordano, Manfredonia and Wilson were detained, while around the country a host of other players were arrested for having conditioned the outcome of a number of games. Paolo Rossi and Giuseppe Savoldi also gave evidence, and Italian football was stunned.

Punishments

The earthquake that followed led to stringent penalties. Albertosi, Cacciatori and Wilson were banned from football, and then-Milan president Felice Colombo was also sentenced.

Pellegrini received a six-year ban, while Wilson, Albertosi and Cacciatori were dealt three, four and five-year suspensions respectively. Della Matira was given five years, while Mandredonia and Salvodi three-and-a-half years. Rossi was banned for 24 months, Morini 10 months, and Damiani three.

Another 11 players were suspended, with bans ranging from three months to three years, while Bologna's president Tommaso Fabbretti was ousted for one year. Napoli's coach Luis Vicinio, Bologna's director of sport Riccardo Sogliano and footballers Andrea Agostinelli, Giancarlo Antognoni and Claudio Pellegrini were all acquitted.

Consequences

Milan and Lazio were hugely affected by the scandal. Both teams were relegated to Serie B, whereas Avellino, Bologna and Perugia were penalised with a five-point penalty the following season. The same punishment was dished out to Serie B sides Palermo and Taranto. As a result of the points penalties, Perugia and Taranto were relegated from Serie B and C1 respectively the following year.

Then and now

What happened three decades ago was different from now. Apart from the fixed matches, betting on football in any form was illegal. However, the crime of sporting fraud that is levelled at the accused today is grave and, if confirmed, could lead to hefty sanctions for players and directors involved, and for the clubs themselves.

While we await clarity over the games that were involved, the team that risks the most is Atalanta. Some claim they could be relegated to last place of Serie B, similar to Juventus' punishment in 2006 in Serie A. They would be in Lega Pro, rather than Serie A following their recent promotion. Harsh penalties for Siena, Lecce, Chievo, Ascoli and Bologna could be handed out, because of the alleged behaviour of players on their books.

There are also discussions surrounding Lega Pro clubs involved in the scandal, with further revelations expected. But if you look further inside Pandora's Box, you could find anything and everything.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Italian football must learn from the shambolic mistakes

of Calciopoli in dealing with current betting scandal

With enquiries ongoing into the current 'Calcioscommesse' problem, it is important

that lessons be learned from the issues of 2006 that continue to blight the game.

Jun 22, 2011

So the latest news on Calciopoli is that Luciano Moggi has been banned from football for life and there is a request from a public prosecutor for him to face nearly six years in prison, and all this despite him having not lost a single court case in the five years since the affair began. Yes, the

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Inter have nothing to do with Calciopoli scandal - Massimo Moratti

.bah

The Inter president does not fear that the 2006 Scudetto will be taken from his side

as he repeats his stance that the club took no part in the controversial scandal.

Jun 28, 2011

Massimo Moratti has reiterated that Inter had no involvement in the Calciopoli scandal that rocked Italian football in 2006.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) stripped Juventus of their 2005 and 2006 crowns because of their participation in the scandal, but the Turin side asked for the honours to be returned in May 2010, as new evidence highlighted that around 16 of the 20 top-flight clubs took part in the affair.

A decision on Juventus' appeal is due in the upcoming days, but Inter president Moratti doesn't fear the outcome, telling the club's official website: "I've always had the same feeling. I am absolutely convinced that we have nothing to do with Calciopoli, so I hope and I believe that justice will run its path."

Juve's 2005 Scudetto title was struck from the records but not awarded to another team, while their 2006 crown was eventually handed to Inter.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Juventus' appeal to have 2006 Scudetto

restored is rejected by FIGC

An investigation into the appeal to have the Italian title restored to the Old Lady

claims the Turin club has "no significant case" as the championship stays with Inter.

Jul 1, 2011

Juventus have lost their final hope of seeing the revoked 2006 Scudetto returned as the FIGC (Italian FA) has decided it will remain with Inter.

Juventus filled legal documents with the FIGC in May 2010 asking for the 2006 Scudetto, revoked by the first wave of investigations into Calciopoli, to be returned.

Their basis was evidence from the ongoing Calcipoli 2 trial in Naples, where it has been shown a number of clubs, including Inter, were involved in the 2006 scandal despite this not having been proven in the original case.

Juventus believed the evidence in Naples was enough to warrant a review of decisions taken five years ago, feeling they had a claim to have the revoked title handed back.

However, after almost 14 months of investigations by the general attorney of the FIGC, it has been announced Juventus' appeal is groundless, and thus the Scudetto of 2006 will remain with Inter.

An extract of a statement following decisions in Rome claims there was "no significant case", while suggesting the facts presented by Juventus did not match the severity of their claims.

Last month former Juventus director Luciano Moggi was banned for life by the FIGC for his involvement in Calciopoli.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
130788 messaggi

Inter alleged to have committed sporting fraud

during Calciopoli by lead FIGC investigator

Former Italian champions were involved in trying to 'condition' the Italian referee sector

'to gain an advantage' during the Calciopoli scandal, claims chief investigator.

Jul 4, 2011

Inter are alleged to have committed sporting fraud during Calciopoli by the same man who last week said Juventus had no chance of having their 2006 Scudetto handed back.

FIGC (Italian FA) chief investigator Stefano Palazzi believes Inter are responsible for having committed sporting fraud during the 2005-06 season which subsequently led to the football scandal in Italy.

Speaking to Ansa, Palazzi said: "Inter violated the article relative to sporting fraud with regards to the possibility of taking advantages in the standings."

His comments are based on what has emerged from the current Calciopoli 2 trial at the Tribunal of Naples where evidence shows former Inter directors had contact with referees and a number of other high-profile Italian football leaders between 2004 and 2006.

Transcripts from wire taps identified by the Tribunal of Naples showed Former Inter president Giacinto Facchetti had regular contact with former referee designators Paolo Bergamo and Pier Luigi Pairetto.

Palazzi also claimed Inter were "directly responsible for having secured an advantage in the league standings by conditioning the regular function of the referee sector."

Last week, the FIGC said Juventus had "no significant case" following their appeal to have their 2006 Scudetto, which was revoked and then assigned to Inter, handed back.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti